Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Scopetronic Homeguard Alarm

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 roryhogan

Hi

I've no voltage at the External Bell terminal. The fuse is good. 12V at internal bell terminals.

Any help please?

A workaround would be to move the External to the Internal feed as I don't use the Internal bell because the dog gets upset.

Thanks for looking.

Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭davidconroy46

If you meter out the 12v external bellbox on panel is it reading 12v? Disconnect the two wires going to bellbox before metering

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

You wont have 12V unless you trigger the output for the bell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, that an old alarm at this stage! Does it show an error code when it goes off?

There was a way of going back through the previous errors, but I lost my engineer manual for Scopetronic about 15 years ago.

You may be encountering a "tamper" alarm, that's when a device such as a window or door contact is damaged, opened or removed and it causes the alarm to sound as a warning. As far as I recall, tampers were displayed as "tn" on the display where "n" is the zone number. See if you can get the code off the front when it sounds, that should help us.

Do you have an isolation switch near the alarm which looks like this? If so, that's the way to pull the power to the panel, but you'd also need to pull the 12v battery too. Just insert a flat-head screwdriver into that small slot and level the fuse part straight out.

As far as I recall, the external sounder (SABB ?) had a small battery pack which sounded for up to 20 mins in the event of a fault and would then sleep afterwards. So if you pulled both mains power and the 12v, and if the SABB battery was not dead, you could expect the external box to sound for up to 20 mins max, and then expire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Happy days, I must have installed hundreds of Homeguards back in the mid 90's

The solution here is simple, get your electrical friend around at a suitable time and get him to remove the mains fuse from inside the panel and disconnect the battery.

What will happen next is uncertain, by the description your external sounder is not sounding properly anyway so it may not be an issue, but whatever noise that makes, it will make it after the panel is powered down.

As for how long it sounds, that is a grey area as back then the standalone 20 min cutouts within external sounders were in their infancy so it's an unknown even if yours has this feature.

Eitherway it will stop eventually and if it is not sounding properly anyway , I cannot really see how anyone can complain about it

If I may.

If that system is going back to the mid 90's I would be very surprised if that SAB battery in your external siren is up to much anymore after all that time.

A faulty battery in a Homeguard panel will not as such cause the alarm to activate like that, you either have a tamper fault or a major issue with the actual panel

They weren't usually too hard to access - they had one screw at the base and then flipped up, I think.

There was a battery cell with wires which could cut or disconnect. Cut one at a time from the battery.

On the ball, assuming here of course that it is the most popular model at that time, the CQR vertical box.

Yes as you described the screw is at the centre on the lower surface of the cover, remove same, fully.

Pull the lid from the bottom, then in the same movement lift at the top.

Cut as described above.

• Advertisement

Yes there was a trickle-charge circuit on the alarm panel and the battery was a rechargeable 12v/7AH type, if I recall correctly.

It does indeed charge the battery as the previous poster mentioned.

Advertisement