Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I agree. And the creation of five school clusters of excellence is point 1b in the strategic plan. These five clusters are DLS, rest of the city & Tramore, Kilmac, Dungarvan/Rinn/Youghal environs and Blackwater/Clonmel environs. The date for establishment of these is Q4 2021/Q1 2022. I'd imagine if asked for an update our county board would proudly tell us they're still working towards those dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

It's a full time job of course he's getting paid, wasn't it advertised at the time at 50-70 k!

I didn't realise that. In that case then while I still don't think he's responsible for the poor results at underage until now as he's not in the role long enough, he's most certainly responsible for missing any milestone deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

What’s the criteria involved with those schools of excellence clusters? Like, what is expected to be achieved for that point of the plan to be deemed complete/implemented?

DLS could be considered one I suppose as they are the lone flag carrier for a Waterford Harty team but the rest I’m struggling to form any link of excellence. As some posters pointed out, many of these schools have gone backwards in recent years. I suppose maybe the aim is to at least get the systems/structures in place to enable better pathways to progression for lads coming through.

I can only see the presentation online. Perhaps there's a more comprehensive document somewhere that I can't find. I'd link the presentation but I'm on the phone, if you Google Waterford rising you'll find it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

It's a shame that one of your own is off developing underage structures in other counties while our own underage structure is failing to pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Last evening, the difference in fitness levels between both teams was stark, particularly in the 2nd half.

Given recent performances at under age, it might be slim pickings for those lads making senior level.

Ballygunner are virtually rampant at under age so I'm surprised that they haven't produced (so far) and stand out players, with the honourable exception of Patrick Fitzgerald. Maybe they are there, I just haven't noticed yet .... or is there an anti Gunners bias in the selection process !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Is There anything to be learned from the Camogie set up..,,they have been steadily ‘rising’ over the last 3/5 years and I notice the minor team even beat cork this year…..?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

I'm following Waterford long enough to remember going to Division 3 games against the likes of Mayo& Roscommon and losing to both. The same failings existed then as now, we happen upon decent teams we don't create them. We only got out of the misery of the 80s when a good crop of young fellas came along in the early 90s and we went outside the county and got someone in Gerald McCarthy who actually knew what he was doing. We are sliding into the same oblivion now. We do this by ignoring the obvious failings of our hurlers and also by blaming others (Cahill worked them too hard before the championship)

Technically we are miles behind other counties- basics like ball control, dropping ball, missing the pick, and an inability to contest high ball have been ignored for years. The first thing Cahill highlighted was this after our first league game against Cork. When McCarthy came in he highlighted the fact that players coming onto the senior panel were not physically at the level of other counties.

We are at crisis point at underage, the same lads that can't buy a win now will be seniors in the near future- won't be their fault - they have been set up to fail by a county set up that has in my many years following the team always been a shambles.

For what its worth our record for the last 10 years underage:

Since 2013

Minor - played 28 won 7 (25%)

u20 -played 17 won 6 (35%) One win since winning the All Ireland - against Kerry.

Abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,692 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Nothing to be learned from the Camogie. The format and quality of those competitions allows for teams to have runs that make it look like they are 'rising'.

They are still just in that category with Tipperary/Clare/Dublin (just above Antrim, Limerick and Wexford etc.) who are taking turns being the '4th' team. They would've been expected to win a poor 1B in the league this year and did in fairness.

Can't take away from their Minors that the win over Cork was good, and yet the most likely scenario is they won't get Top 4 out of 6 for semi-final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

The Dubs are actually acutely aware of the Superclub problem and how it limits the development of intercounty players. The reasoning goes is that playing on a team like that, you only have to play 6/7 out of 10 every day to win. Where as if you're the sole intercounty lad on a smaller team, the player has to be 10/10 every day to compete with the Superclubs. The latter supposedly is more beneficial for elite player development.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Cornerstonelad

Great second-half display from Waterford minors.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The county needed that performance but sadly a heartbreaking 1 pont loss which ends our season with one game to spare

Lets hope its not the same for the seniors on the 14th May

Anyone up at the Dublin event tonight ?

Is that a replacement for the old Club Déise Lodnon fundraisers aka piss ups ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

The ‘Waterford rising’ project is probably only 2/3 years into a 10 year plan (was drafted prior to covid so added another year or 2 onto it) and in reality the whole project is about fixing the issues that should have been done in the 20/30 years previous anyway; eg proper financial planning, upgrading the stadia and introduction of more all county competitions. There’s no point even thinking about moving forward until some of these absolute basic structures are in place otherwise there’s no incentive for young players to even play our games in the first place. The big elephant in the room now is dwindling playing numbers in clubs across the county and the whole Ballygunner debacle. forget about pumping money into coaching young players to win primary possession which is the default complaint, starting point is getting more players out playing (FORTHEIR LOCAL CLUB) not the nearest super club.

my concern about the rising project is do we have enough quality personnel behind it making the decisions for the future of the game and uplift of hurling and football in the county. Or is is the same clueless buffoons trying to fix issues they were responsible for in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

A good deal of sense in this post.

These things never change overnight & as mentioned Covid more or less halted things for 12-18 months.

One thing I do think is hampering our development is the lack of GDO’s in the county. Schools get about 3 visits per code throughout the year. In a primary school that could mean contact time of around 3 hours if each class had 30 mins each visit, which wouldn’t even be the case in a larger school. We’ve been allocated 2 further GDO’s from Munster GAA so hopefully this will improve things but I’m not sure it will be enough. I also think the GDO’s should have more contact time with clubs / club coaches to develop them both informally & through the GAA coach education program. Upskilling the club coaches & increasing contacting time with GDO’s / skilled coaches through school would surely be of significant benefit in 10 years time. Some of our GDO’s are definitely behind the times too when you see their counterparts in other counties. I don’t think our county board can necessarily rectify this though as they are employed by Munster GAA.

The current group of U13 / 14’s are supposedly on S&C programs & being developed year round with the plan to continue this for all development squads going forward. Hard to believe it took so long for such a simple idea to be put into practice though.

Would Covid have any effect on the school clusters? I can't see how it would, if anything they had an extra year or two to work it out and should have been ready for this year. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i was impressed with both minor teams that played us this week , that was a big lead we built up on friday night , we maintained it uo to the last 5 minutes and were hanging on after that

that u17 project is probably one of our best in a good few years , some of them lads are sons nephews of all ireland winners of the 90s and showing signs of real ability

a really enjoyable game in fairness , in fairness the u20 set up looked very poor Thursday night , even patrick fitz looked out of the game

the footballers were very competitive against us too in lemybrian , sadly you could see the difference as the game wore on in terms of s/c input we had lost to mayo in the dome in a challenge by 8 points the week before which will tell the type of preparation we put into that game , but waterford were good for a lot of that game too thursday night

Post edited by windy shepard henderson on

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭lim4ev

lads counties like limerick and Waterford and anybody really don't need to be winning underage titles, of course it helps but not a necessity.

I'll say it again Waterford have too many good players to be written off as they're been, Mark my words

I'm not sure in the case of Waterford. Limerick don't need to.

We are still producing good players. Since the all Ireland winning 2016 under 21 team Billy Nolan, Shaun O Brien, Calum Lyons, Iarla Daly, Cathrach Daly, Neil Montgomery, Jack Prendergast, Michael Kiely have all come through and hopefully we can add at least two Fitzgeralds to that this year. Reuben Halloran may need another year but he's the obvious one turning 21 this year. All the above appear to be senior inter county level and from there possibly with potential to make all star nominees or all stars. The under 20 team this year have maybe 2 more who could reach that level and the minors have 2/3.

Our issue is the level of the other players on those teams has dropped. That's a symptom of the coaching environment being poor. Ballygunner are the opposite at club level. One all star since Paul Flynn but consistently have a full team and subs at that 8/10 standard underage. Though Patrick Fitzgerald changed that in his underage teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭deisedude

I take your point on underage titles but we aren't even competitive. We are the 5th team in Munster consistently underage. That's going to catch up with us if it hasn't already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

sell Dungarvan and withdraw from the football competitions like Kilkenny and pump the money into the underage hurling structures over the next 10 to 15 years. simples

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Well the week is finally upon us, the be-all and end-all that is the championship is finally upon us this weekend. No more holding things back or keeping things “up the sleeve”, it’s do or die time. How is everyone feeling?

Personally I can’t remember going into a championship more downbeat and even not looking forward to it. Maybe it’s the poor league showings coupled with the loss after loss of the underage sides in recent weeks but it really feels like we’re stuck in a rut that only a big championship win could pull us out of. I can only hope they do have something big in the locker that they’ve been working on the last few weeks/months that we’ll see over the next few weeks but it remains to be seen.

I’m not sure if it’s a good or bad thing we’ve Limerick up first, suppose the good news is we get the fixture out of the way early but it would probably be preferable to face them later on when they have likely qualified and have one eye on a Munster final. Either way, our championship will be defined by how we go against the other three so that’s why I’m not overly concerned that we’re missing a few players for Limerick. Would much prefer them to be available for those games than what I see as a “free hit” this weekend.

I’m going into this championship not expecting much so anything good that happens would be a bonus. Negative I know but I just see another early exit but very happy to be proved wrong.

I think the underage results have been a big factor for me. Losing 6 out of 6 is abysmal but it should be separated from views of the senior team.

I was probably alone in that after the last two matches in the league I was happy enough. After falling behind against Tipp we dragged our way back in until the red card.

Unless you were at the Kilkenny game you wouldn't believe how bad the conditions were. We couldn't convert out chances so we lost, and we had far more chances than Kilkenny. Both sides were also down 7/8 players though the analysis only seemed to recognise the Kilkenny players missing. Speaking of that analysis despite slamming Davy Fitzgerald for his tactics that day, James Skehill came out after the league final and said the only way to beat Limerick is to pack the middle and force turnovers. Which is how Waterford set up.

I don't see us beating Limerick so really the Cork game is make or break for me. We need Austin, Iarla, McNulty, Bennett, Kiely available again. We need to win some of our own puck outs. And we need to use possession better.

I think the underage results have been a big factor for me. Losing 6 out of 6 is abysmal but it should be separated from views of the senior team.

I was probably alone in that after the last two matches in the league I was happy enough. After falling behind against Tipp we dragged our way back in until the red card.

Unless you were at the Kilkenny game you wouldn't believe how bad the conditions were. We couldn't convert out chances so we lost, and we had far more chances than Kilkenny. Both sides were also down 7/8 players though the analysis only seemed to recognise the Kilkenny players missing. Speaking of that analysis despite slamming Davy Fitzgerald for his tactics that day, James Skehill came out after the league final and said the only way to beat Limerick is to pack the middle and force turnovers. Which is how Waterford set up.

I don't see us beating Limerick so really the Cork game is make or break for me. We need Austin, Iarla, McNulty, Bennett, Kiely available again. We need to win some of our own puck outs. And we need to use possession better.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭lim4ev

have Waterford genuine injuries or are they a smoke screen? I heard Austin Gleeson was fit anyway not sure of the others.

very low key build up too in limerick I suppose its early in week yet

If something like what happened in the snooker tonight happens on Sunday do we get a point if the games abandoned ? 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Hardly low key in Limerick with Gearoid Hegarty interview yesterday in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

its very hard to tell when you have such a ‘wound up spring’ in charge….I would say there have been genuine injuries but whether they have all healed now is another question…..there hasn’t been such certainty over the result of a waterford fixture in years…..hard to see anything other than a 12-15 point win for LK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

12/15 ponts !

I have already written off this match (injuries or not) but if we can escape with pride intact and no new injuries, then the Cork game is winnable.

Advertisement