Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

What's very obvious from commentary online is that people think checking a passport just means it's like an ID check at an off licence. It obviously takes time to check visas / entry exit dates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

And that the holder of the passport hasn't spend more than 90 days already in any part of the Schengen area

Post edited by rock22 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Schengen, Schengen, Schengen, Schengen, Schengen ... all the foregoing refers to entering/leaving the Schengen Area, not the EU. As an EU member, Britain - like Ireland - had a "free pass" of sorts, allowing British citizens to roam freely around the Schengen Area without being subject to the checks that apply to citizens from outside the Schengen Area.

British citizens can still spend more than 90 days (out of 180) in part of the EU - as long as that part isn't in the Schengen Area. So Bulgaria, Romania, Cyprus and Ireland. Plenty of holiday destinations there ... and you can get to all of them by sea! :-)

Post edited by CelticRambler on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

@CelticRambler Schengen, Schengen, Schengen, Schengen, Schengen ...

Yes, my mistake. Schengen area. I have corrected it.

It still means a check that wasn't needed before now has to be done. Or am I wrong in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭yagan

I saw delays for UK passport holders when arriving in the Canaries recently, mostly down to the way the new machines won't let someone proceed until the face scan matches the passport barometrics. They had a couple of staff constantly explaining to Brits how to place the photo page down on a scanner while also looking towards the facial scanner. I observed all this as I was waved to an unbusy booth with my Irish passport card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Oh, I only picked your post as an example (because it was so concise !) but across all platforms, mainstream and otherwise, these Dover-Calais delays are repeatedly attributed to France being in the EU and Britain being out of it. That shows a widespread misunderstanding of what is actually going on, and when and where the various entry requirements apply. That suggests that even after this particular penny drops in the collective Brexited British mentality, there'll still be cases of unexpected negative consequences - remember that there are several non-EU countries in the Schengen Area ... including one notable British rock at the entrance to the Mediterranean.

Back in the pre-Vanilla days of this thread, I predicted that it would be the experience of ordinary people trying to make ordinary travel arrangements that would ram home the implications of ending Freedom of Movement. Obviously that immediacy of that effect was mitigated by the arrival of Covid, but I think we're there now. Entering the Schengen Area doesn't mean that just a single check has to be done that wasn't needed (by/for British passport holders) before: it's a whole series of tests was the passport issued within the allowed timeframe? are there 90 days validity left on it? has the holder spent time in the Schengen Area within the last 180 days? if so, are they close to their 90 day limit?* if so, can they prove their intention to leave before hitting the 90 days? do they look like someone who can afford their day-to-day expenses while in the Schengen Area? if not, can they prove that they do indeed have sufficient funds available? is there any other reason why they should be denied entry?

And that's before the new biometric and ETIAS rules come into force.

*I reckon we're going to hear stories later this year, or maybe next summer, of various people being denied entry because they forgot to get their passport stamped on exiting the Schengen Area and the system flags them up as having exceeded the 90 days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Derpa Derpa Derp them frenchies something something...

The boss of the Port of Dover has contradicted claims by senior Tory MPs that French frontier officials were responsible for border hold-ups at the start of the Easter school holidays.

Doug Bannister, chief executive of the UK’s main departure point for continental Europe, said the Police aux Frontieres had been “very, very good” at responding to the build-up of traffic last weekend.

the Port of Dover CEO said: “Police aux Frontieres turned up with the full complement of resource on the Friday, that our plan had identified that we needed.

“They did that very well. On Saturday, when they knew that we were having challenges, they actually turned up with more people to better support us as well. So they’ve been very flexible.

“Having said that, [the new border arrangements are] still a constraint on getting traffic across the short straits.”

But Mr Bannister said: “There is clearly no doubt that the processing through the border takes more time now than it did before.”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I took a wee break there and it seems that some things never change, namely that someone is still desperately peddling misinformation to shut down criticism of the UK.

I think Simon Calder has the best response to this:

On my end, I can't even use my Irish Passport Card now on return journeys due to the stupidity of Ryanair staff.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mod: no memes or posts without discussion - two posts deleted

edit: three posts deleted!

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Absolutely brilliant. Perfectly sums it up.

The government and the Brexiters still can't think up any real benefits so this is the most honest answer I have heard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Brexit still isn't done.

Oct 31st 2024 is when the UK expects to fully implement customs, sanitary and phytosanitary checks on EU goods.

Lots of deals expire in 2025 for things like UK clearing houses and data adequacy. Brexit can't be done, its perpetual renegotiation and each time the UK will have to accept a slightly worse deal dressed up as a win.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Re the Dover chaos, the other direction is proving a problem. French and German tourists are staying away cos the requirement of a passport for entry is a blocker - or at least, so reckons UK Tourist tsars.

Inch by inch, the economy shrinks, assuming EU tourism isn't replaced by other locales. Presumably the retirees artificially rising house prices in Cornwall et al will be fine and won't notice the difference.

Since anti-Covid measures ended across Europe last year, tourism has started to recover, but there are growing signs that significant numbers of French and Germans – two of the largest markets for UK tourism – are staying away.

Since October 2021, EU citizens have needed a passport to enter the UK. Previously they could use ID cards, but less than half the population of France and Germany hold a valid passport. People who run tourist attractions and businesses in the UK say that although Americans have returned in large numbers, the French and Germans have not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

^^^wasn't there a thread here about how tourists coming to Ireland from Europe would occasionally nip up to NI, but now they can't as they didn't have passports (or had ID cards that are no longer accepted?) Also, didn't someone like @ancapailldorcha complain about this recently?

Brexit's like a Trump win. So much winning. But, hey, fish wrapped in paper, kippers in my ice pillow, pint markings and blue passports. Woo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I was flying from Bucharest to London. The twit from Ryanair demanded my settled status upon my presenting my Irish passport card. I told him I was Irish but he wouldn't let me board without my passport. I doubt how that demonstrates settled status but Ryanair will Ryanair. That said, it was much quicker to go through emigration controls with the same card.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Yep. I had my passport handy just in case of such a scenario. Found newspaper articles about people who were not so lucky. Fine with airport security on both sides. The UK Border Force official asked me what I was expecting flying Ryanair.

I can see there being a problem flying out of Romania as it's not in Schengen and our passport cards are only machine readable for Schengen zone. I definitely use my passport book for non Schengen EU countries.

I did fly into Britain from Spain a few years ago and initially was asked for my real passport when I presented my card. I was held up for about 15 minutes while a supervisor verified that it was an accepted ID, and then they commented that the UK should have issued the same years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I'm mostly a lurker here but good to see you back online.

Doesn't matter. Both the Irish government and Ryanair's terms and conditions state the card is fine. Just frustrating but we are where we are. If the UK did issue such a card, there'd be the same sort of problems.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Advertisement

Apparently the UK government have done a u-turn on removing thousands of EU laws that were kept on the UK statute book after Brexit to ensure continuity, by the end of the year...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'd say the lobbyists finally made their point. Ironically, it was an even stupider idea than Brexit itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Vague sanity has prevailed but there's mention in that article that "concessions" may yet be made, so reads like there'll still be some EU Laws junked, once the local elections pass. Said sanity may be temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

If a non-EU passport holder flies into Romania and then to Dublin transferring through Stanstead how many stamps do they get on their passport?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd guess one for entry into Dublin as most transfers (i.e. Romania & Stanstead) don't stamp as long as you don't leave the airport area for international flights and can show the ticket for the connecting flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Stanstead is a Ryanair hub and they don't do airside transfers, so you'd have to stamp in. Having gone through EU immigration in Romania or Germany or France for that matter, would you have to go through EU immigration again coming off the flight in Dublin from the CTA as well as the stamp in and out of the UK?

If you fly into Romania and catch a connecting flight you'd never enter Romania proper (assuming same airport transfer) and never get stamped for entering EU; the first time you'd enter EU would be in Dublin and that would be your port of entry so to speak. Now with Ryanair that get's a bit different potentially; if you change to Ryanair then you'd most likely get that as entry point as you'd need to check in your bags again which require you to enter Romania. If you fly with handbags only the above is likely to still apply.

As the Brexit train keeps rolling, it has resulted in the Orient Express removing the UK from its route...

• Advertisement

ooh and another company changes it's train services for Britons - this time for Eurostar travellers heading to Disneyland Paris as and from June. Passengers will have to change at Lille or Paris citing the pandemic recovery and uncertain border situation arising from Brexit as the reasons...

Advertisement