Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 3) Arklow (15th Apr @11:40am)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Snackbox20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Another lovely day for golf, conditions started perfect but got a little more windy and overcast as the round progressed.

Had the pleasure of a first round with bobster, and became reacquainted with golfgraffix and pakman.

Fair to say Bobster didn't get going consistently with his ball striking, but still some lovely shots struck. Very unlucky with at least 3 excellent putts that were peering over the edge of the cup.

Very consistent play from Pakman who deservedly won a prize, lots of good shot making.

Golfgraffix wasn't at his best judging on recent boards results but still played good golf today. Pleasure to be out with all three lads.

My own golf wasn't great if I'm honest, managed 16 out and 15 back for 31. In Rosslare I was delighted with my ball striking and some non-committed chips and my putting let me down. Yesterday that flipped, my ball striking was inconsistent but I scrambled and putted reasonably well to return a decent score.

Onwards and upwards to Slieve Russell. Thanks to the the committee and organisers, and congrats to the prizewinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bobster453

I may start charging you for the psychology lessons @Snackbox20 ...and may start practicing what I preach too😂😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Another enjoyable outing with boards.

Had a great afternoon with Parkman, VW and Bobster.

Pakman had a good score in him but a few putts just didn’t drop. The rest of us had some good golf in us but just a few too many mistakes scattered amongst some good golf.

Another good day for pace of play, which is great to see.

I’m not 100% sure about the course, I really enjoyed it but as a golf experience it’s felt a little muddled. Most of the front 9 is pure links and was in good condition. From 8 onwards it’s neither fully parkland nor links, and for me that took the shine off what is a fine course. 10 is a perfect example, tee shot plays into a soft parkland fairway but second shot plays into what looked like a pure fescue green, certainly played like one. So you are switching between shot types, which seemed odd. In saying that, if I was to go back I’d look forward to another round. I especially liked the par 3s, with the exception of 9, I thought they were very good green complexes. I think my favourite hole was 12, reminded me of Esker Hills a little.

My favourite part of the day was bumping into Snackbox, walking into the bar after his round, he couldn’t hide the big smile on his face, like a kid who got everything he wanted for Christmas. Great score and a very popular winner no doubt.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Another great day with boards. To start, thanks to Pakman for the chauffer drive down, the trip flew by with good chats up and back.

Arrived in the gates to blue skies and glistening sea, looked like a great day ahead

Had the company of @slave1 , @kieran. and @kev_s88 3 sound lads who've I've played a few times with over the years. Bit of craic on the first tee, with some slagging over handicaps (how @charlieIRL can be saying someone has a bandit handicap is beyond me 😆)

@kieran. was coming off the back of a great round in his home course, so announced he would be brought back down to earth. He had some highs, but also some lows, with the driver giving some pain. Hit some cracking long irons, with a beauty into the 9th green, and some big hits down some of the par 4s. Some lovely texas wedges too around the greens. Found a few of these kind of spots though, which makes life difficult:

@slave1 is a lovely steady golfer. Has all of the required elements to score, but wasn't quite there today. Every time he steps up to a putt I feel like he's going to make it. Wedges maybe let him down a little, but a great approach to the NTP, and an "eagle" to finish, with a lovely 15-20ft putt were highlights. Couple of knockdown off the tee hurt his game.

@kev_s88 is one of the steadiest golfers in the society I think. As he said himself, keep knocking in 30-ish point rounds and you're there or thereabouts for the jug team. Couple of loose tee shots made him work hard, which he did, hitting some great distance approaches. His wedge game was lovely all day, but like me in Rosslare, the putter seemed cursed. Left everything dead but nothing dropped.

As for me, I came in with no real expectations. Have been playing OK, but not spectacular. Lesson from a month ago feels more comfortable now, so hopefully trending the right direction. Have been solid tee to green, but chipping and putting has been unpredictable.

Thankfully they were working well yesterday, particularly the putter, making a lot of putts in the 10-15ft range. 1 3-putt on the last hole.

Started bogey-birdie, then a run of 5 pars to be level through 7. On 8, hit 3w, found a nice ball size hole (not a plug mark unfortunately). Tried to thump it out, to no avail. Then approach landed behind a rake in a hidden bunker off the right of the green, no stroke on the hole and couldn't get up&down, so a scratch. Onto 9 and hit a solid hybrid which found an interesting lie after kicking left off the green

Got it on the green and made a bogey, just missing the par putt, to turn with a solid 19 points.

Bounced back with 2 pars to start the back 6, and was ticking along steady. Found a fairway bunker off the tee on a long par 4 into the wind which resulted in a double, and ball on the index 1 trickled into the water from a slightly heavy approach for another double. Finished with a 3 putt "birdie" for 14 points back and 33 points for the 16 holes.

Lots of good golf with a couple of blips.

Well played to Pakman and Snackbox to take the top 2 prizes, great scoring on the day.

The two closed holes look like they're tough holes, but they were in a bad state, so weren't suitable to play.

Really enjoyed the day, sound lads in the pro shop. A jump up to 2nd in GOTY, need to keep pushing that Golfgraffix lad to retain my crown.

See ye all in Slieve Russell. Slave was singing its praises, so looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

...also, crazy pin on the 3rd hole, 180 yard par 3

There's the tee box and you can see the top of the pin poking above the mounding on the right there

Post edited by spacecoyote on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's a bit of a cliche, but apart from a tee shot on 7 and two greenside bunkers and a putt on 18 the rest of the round was not there, okay on the front 9 but slow play and cold breeze froze my back from 8 to the finish. My main aim was not to drag my playing partners into the dark abyss.

Amazing to think I went home via Macreddin on the way home to pick up a prize for an 8 over round last June after the muck I played, such is life. I also found out that Arklow is down to 15/16holes for months and not planned to have 16/17 back in play for a few weeks yet so not a fan of they way they kept this communication up.

Here's my best shot

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Full results from the day

I think you are right @bobster453 , there's also a few other boards golfers who I owe fees for lessons, tips, and Bob rotellas 😂😂😂😂😂

@boccy23Some change from yesterday.

The 17th on our course this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭tigerwood1

And worse(r) again..I owe @tigerwoods a fiver😂😂

I called off the men in black for now but interest will be charged at a euro a day 😎.

I was playing with Bigchap and Roadrunner, two of the bigger hitters in our society so when i piped one off the 1st tee i was able to walk with pride down to what i thought was my ball in the middle of the fairway and as i turned around and looked at the lads 30yrds back in the rough i could see the lads scrathing their heads as to why a shorty like me was so far ahead🤣. Unfortunely my joy was short lived when i realised it was big chaps provisional and i had to endure a 40yard walk of shame back to my ball.

After scratching the 1st i settled down and birdied the second which started a run of five holes that i actually played some proper golf which i hav'nt done for some time.

It was'nt long before reality hit with a few more scratches but overall i was very happy with how i played and really enjoyed the day. Have to say i loved the course and variation in types of holes makes for very enjoyable day of golf, i will be making a bee line to play there again.

Second time in a row to play with big chap this season and he is playing some great golf ,it won't be long before he hits the winners cicle.

Roadrunner played well and cracking the jokes as usual but i have to blame him for convicing me to have my Van de Velde moment on the par3 13th🤪

Thank god i listened to big chap who talked me into wearing the waterproofs🤣.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭tigerwood1

And forgot to say congrats to snackbox who has carried his good form over from last season and as golfgraffics says has a smile on his face come win or lose.

Evening fellow golfers, finally getting the post round analysis down on paper. Started out in the road bright and early, it was roughly a 2hr drive up to another new course to me Arklow Links. The sun was ag "spalpadh go hard" as the hopefully speak in the Gaeltacht and it was a good sign that it was going to be sunny one on our final links outing. I had the little nerves on the drive up as my start to boards has not been my best golf as I had a right dose of the Sonia's and even Paula Radcliffe's ( Sonia will run, Paula doesn't run far and is a shot worse than ****) so I had made some improvements at the range, and played well with the team in a champagne scramble in West Waterford last week.

On the way up, which is a road I should be all to familiar with the twat-nav directed me to mullinavat off the M9, I knew I should have stayed on N25 and gone via New Ross bypass onto Enniscorthy. I quickly turned around and got back on the road for New Ross and arrived at the links nice and early. The course looked lovely from the balcony of the clubhouse what a view. As I was early, the first golfer I met was @bobster453 , we had a quick catch up and bobster offered a small fix about my swing and also made a very close prediction that a 34/35 might be the number. After getting the few bits for the round at the pro-shop, I hit the nets and followed another lesson by another member. @benny @benneca1@benny79 told me before any round, hit or swing your heaviest club (my 52°) 30 times before a round. So it was those and a couple of 7i too. I also finally got the opportunity to say hello to @BigChap1759 , (there are still members that I must get to know) and that was where I was paired up yesterday with 3 golfers, I was playing with for the 1st time. As I made my way over to the 8th tee, which I thought was the 1st, I saw a group of 3 heading up the path, 11:50? The tall chap with sunglasses said that's us. I had the pleasure of playing with @SEORG , @boccy23 , and @weapon of grass destruction . A great group and great chats on the round. Seorg is playing off 5 and had a mighty swing off the tee, when he hit the sweet spot on the driver, it was a mile. Unfortunately Seorg had not much outings so was a little rusty, and some shots let him down. Boccy is a nice golfer too, I noticed on a lot of his shots yesterday his 2nd shot was always struck nicely. Weapons, also nicknamed "Weapons of ball destruction" had some bombs off the tee, but there other shots that got away from him yesterday too. We had great chats and craic on the course, even had the football scores between the holes 😁

I couldn't believe how well the golf went for me yesterday, the nerves were on me on the first tee, that and my new diagnosis of slight IBS too (but under control and all good) my first got away nicely and got up and down for a 5. There were still a top or two in the round, but I found recovery on my next shot. On the first par 3 aptly named the punch bowl, I scored a 2 with a very long bump and run 8i for a lovely 2. I was hitting my driver, hybrid, and felt really good around the greens. The course reminded me in some ways of when I played Mulraney on Achill, it had similar fairways but still elements of links landscape in around. The greens in Arklow had so many hills and andulating lies, they were a great challenge

When it came to totting the cards, I was under valuing myself when @SEORG said to me 22 on the front, 14 on the back. I couldn't believe it. As @Golfgraffix said earlier I was like a kid at Christmas, but I may have been in shock and thought I might have been pipped as I was told the 18th was a par 3.

In the end, I came in with a 2 and 36 pts to secure my first W on boards, I was delighted and speechless in my "speech" it was like the Oscars when you are cut off for the next award.

A massive thanks to @boccy23 , @SEORG , @weapon of grass destruction for your excellent company yesterday, to captain @RoadRunner for organising yesterday and for the prize and also to @SpaceCowb0y @spacecoyote for the excellent work for cards and scores. @space2ground1 Thanks also to everyone who congratulated me and for the comments. (I say it everytime, but joining this society was one of the best and easiest decisions I ever made, I love this.) The form continued in to today where I shot 79 (net 62) in our Sunday StrokePlay taking a first there too.

So onwards and upwards to Cavan and Slieve Russell, looking forward to this and seeing you all.

Snackbox

Apologies, that should be @spacecoyote for the excellent work calculating the results and cards. I selected an incorrect Auto username but on my phone settings, I don't seem to be able to delete the incorrect username 🤷🤷🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Great score for @Snackbox20 getting around that course with 36. Very enjoyable round and nice to walk off the course with a half decent score, especially after how that course beat me up in the lead up to the Jug last year. Had great company with @VW 1 ,@Golfgraffix , and @bobster453, who I had never played with before. Started off ropey with a big pull to the left, which is now my miss apparently, but felt in good company as we all ventured towards the trees to look for our balls. I was sadly the odd man out, with mine lost to the water behind, and my provisional out right also missing. Made up for it with a birdie on the fourth, with a putt from off the green that surprising went in, and then scrambled my a*se off for the rest of the round to pull out a decent score on the day.

@Golfgraffix was fighting a serious kneecapping with a 4 handicap out there on the day but hit some lovely shots and was only pipped for LD by a few yards I'm sure, as he belted it down there. @bobster453 had a tough one on the front nine which led to him and @Golfgraffix kicking of the battle of the 11 pointers on the back to keep things interesting. @VW 1 was unsurprisingly scoring well with his great ball striking and I suspected he was going well but didn't want to jinx.

First time ever playing 3 days in a row and didn't go too bad with a 37 on the Friday, the 33 in Arklow, and then a 39 on Sunday for Kilcock's matchplay qualifier, which was a 23 front and horrific 16 point back 9 where that left miss turned up once a hole. Hopefully it's gone by Slieve Russell which I am now really looking forward to after everyone talking about it in the clubhouse. Congrats again @Snackbox20 and thanks to @spacecoyote for making the drive pass so quickly there and back and for having a worse back nine (seven) than me 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Disappointed to have missed this one. Congrats to @Snackbox20 on a great round and result. See you all in Cavan next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

First of all, as always another great day out with my Boards friends. This Society is a unique offering for me in that we get to experience different courses, different playing conditions, partners and indeed on Saturday, a different playing experience with only 16 holes.

As can be seen from the photos, the view from the clubhouse and car park offer a beautiful vista over the course and with the sun shining, it really was an appetizing vista. The fact that the 1st tee, 7th green and 8th tee are all there in the car park also helps the social aspect. Although, it did lend itself to a few trembles standing over the tee shot on #1 with so many eyes on me.

The tee show on #1 actually went fine, a little left in the rough. But this was a bit of the story of my day. I drew a poor lie and tried to muscle a wood out of it. Shot off to the right and drew another shabby lie about 80 yards short of the green with a big tuft of grass behind the ball. Tried to pitch a wedge which shot right, a Tom Hanks?? (not sure, think it was more the lie) and shot through the green and buried itself. So a scratch on the first.

Onwards and upwards. Decent drive on #2 but again drifted into the rough and the same suspect type lie. I said I'd knock a 6-i 150 yards or so down the fairway but it never rose. This then was followed by an angry 5-w from 200 odd yards that rose majestically with a baby fade into the middle of the green giving me a standard 2-putt par. And that was the story for the day for me. I was either parring holes or 1-pointers.

Highlight probably came on #10. A decent drive (you guessed it, drifted into the rough) but here as someone said earlier, because the course changes character, it was sat nicely on top of the grass. Hit a 5-w from 200 which landed just shy of the green, took a big bounce and ran up the green and nearly dropped. 10 feet back down the hill, but left it shy! Ah well.

The inverse side was #8. Sliced my drive towards the practice area, but it stayed inbounds and I drew a decent lie. Hit a 5-i which bounced in front of the green, hard bounce left, ran around the greenside bunker and then dropped in the far side. Left me with no stance and virtually no swing. Couldn't get it out on the first effort and it dropped just under the face in a lovely poached egg lie. Couldn't get that one out either and thinned the final effort out to scratch that one. At least the thin went towards the 9th tee!

Played with @SEORG and @weapon of grass destruction who I had played with before and @Snackbox20 for the first time, although had chatted with him plenty of times before on putting greens or after rounds. @SEORG is a lovely golfer but the lack of playing time came back to bite him in the short game. True gentleman and really enjoy watching him go about his business on the course. @weapon of grass destruction is a true baller who loves letting it rip. His driver very much behaved itself, but the irons were just that little bit off and on that course, that leads to a difficult scoring day. I had read @Snackbox20 report from Rosslare about "sonia" and standing on #1 tee felt that the elevation would help eliminate that issue. But he never had any such problems. He played really well all day, especially the front 9. Highlight was a chip-in 2 on the first par 3 to an impossible pin. Lovely smug look on his face when @SEORG and myself were working hard not to 3-putt an eventful green. His shortgame came to play all day and with consistent driving and irons, I knew he had to be well in with a chance. Delighted to see after that he had indeed won. Congrats again @Snackbox20. Always nice to play with

Overall, I am not sure what to make of Arklow. The fairways and rough didn't feel like Rosslare or Portmarnock to me, but the greens and green complexes were very much out of the links playbook. Some of the greens were huge, such as the 15th. I think we have a par 3 on our course that would fit onto that green! The further into the course we got, the less like a true links it felt. Especially with the rain during the week, the fairways got softer as we went. As @SEORG said, I would like to go back and play it when it is hard and fast to get a true feel for it. The last par 3 was much more like a standard parkland hole.

Again, as always, a very enjoyable day out. As we finished a bit earlier than planned, I took the opportunity to shoot off and earn back some brownie points by taking the family out for tea when I got home! So didn't get a chance to see @Snackbox20 getting crowned. But thanks again to captain @RoadRunner and all the committee for another great day out. See you all in Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

You's got a great day for the golf anyway, sun shined and no wind. I played that morning and struggled on the first 5 holes (5 points) holes, a few pints the night before didn't help. Had 18 points for the next 8 holes then scratched the 14th and 15th. Finishing with 23 points. Second week in a row I started and finished poorly.

Glad you's all liked the course, its a shame that the full 18 wasn't open for you to play. As previously said, poor management to start the upgrade works in March and not Novmber to give more of a time frame to complete the upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Congrats to @Snackbox20 - Got to play my first Boards society round with him in Corballis and it was a great welcome for me

Really nice fella and you could see that a big score was in him if he went on a run of good holes

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Congratulations to the winner of the links swing series of events - GolfGraffix and the winner on the day for the arklow event snaxbox.

My own day was class. Lots of highlights on the course. But lovely sunshine at the clubhouse, with coffee in hand looking out over the course and everyone out getting ready for their round was a highlight.

Really liked the course. As was mentioned earlier, it's a shame about the reduction to 16 holes.

Played with bigchap and tigerwood. Just had great craic. We each played well. Tiger could have put up a big score here without some scratches at inopportune moment. Bigchap too played very well but got bad luck and bad breaks. I'm feeling like my game is getting closer after Arklow. Like Rosslare, Arklow feels like a course I'd be happy to join and would happily play it regularly.

Shout out to spacecoyote for scoring and having everything neatly organised for me after I came in. CharlieIRL for helping me with the cards. Also Seve for arranging handicaps while on holiday. (I didn't really have much to myself do other than enjoy the day and read out the winners at end 😎)

Post edited by RoadRunner on

😊👍, I try Tigerwood, these outings are great days out, win,lose, or scratch.

Thanks a million Sir

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭a post punk

A bit late posting , had a funeral last 2 days!

Firstly big congrats to Snackbox on the win , well deserved with a great score on the day and especially after being the clubhouse leader for a longtime at last years Captains prize……. the form has carried through.

A last minute change to our pairings meant I played with @spuddy4711 for the 2nd time and @ballyk for about a dozen times or more at this stage!! Great 3 ball very relaxed and no hassle even though we waited on a lot of our shots with a busy course on the day.

I had a great start 18points after 7 holes and wasn’t counting really because I was enjoying the first real summers day of 2023 on the golf course,Teed off on 8 then with massive hook and ended up scratching with my provisional. Teed off on 9 and hit a bullet of a 3 wood into the wind , it went exactly where I aimed but didn’t turn over so lost another ball! Scratch again…… consistency is my big problem and scratched 2 more holes after that to score a meager 7 points on the back 7!! Anyway early days yet this year , I’d rather enjoy the day out than worry about the score that’s this years mantra!!

loved the greens even though I found them tricky enough and the par3’s were a great test particularly into the wind. The Index 1 had a great green and water hazard in front of it , most definetly Index 1.

loved the 6th hole aswell the way it was bunkered and OB all down the right just a great risk reward links hole and hit my best drive of the day on it.

Also the views from the clubhouse afterwards looking out over the sea and being able to see most of the holes and golfers out enjoying themselves it’s a great vantage point!!

See ye all at the next outing.

PP

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Well done Snackbox, delighted for you to get a win. Well deserved.

Really enjoyed the day Saturday, round seemed to fly by. I know doublecross, jarietta and woody a few years now and was looking forward to the chats all the way around but the round seemed to be over as quick as it began.

My driver was way off on Saturday and the lads were saying how it was a strong part of my game from mid last year, this was due to a lesson I had got. The pro made 3 simple changes to my setup and it worked straight away. I haven’t played much so far this year and for the life of me, could I think of the third thing the pro changed on Saturday during the round? I even said it to jarietta that I’ll probably remember it on my way home - and of course I did!! At least I’ll know for this Saturday!!

Too many silly bad tee shots cost me a score but you know what, I still enjoyed the course, the company and the day away so it was a win for me.

Unfortunately I’m missing the next round as it clashes with the Connacht 7’s tournament for me so, as head coach of one of our teams,I better be there!!! Some serious catching up to be done so it’s full attack for the rest of the year.

Thank you very much @a post punk 👍👍👍

Nice one @charlieIRL , thank you 😎

Thanks a million @pakman 👍👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

not much else I can say that hasn't already been said. Lovely day out in Arklow with wonderful weather for the most part. I do really enjoy the course so was looking forward to the day out.

Played with Space, Kieran and Slave for the day. Seems i'm getting paired up with Space a lot this year and had the chance to play with both Kieran and Slave last year at some stage. All 3 are great company for a round of golf so really enjoyed it.

My golf was ok. Space mentioned in his write up that i've been very consistent so far this year. I would go as far as saying maddeningly consistent. My last 5 rounds have all come in at 30 points, which is great when you're trying to put up points for a Jug appearance but not so great when you're feeling good and hopeful of getting into the prizes. Played unspectacular golf from tee to green but nearly always managed to get myself into position to score on each hole barring 1 scratch on the 6th from a wild drive. The putts just were not dropping for me. I can count at least 6 putts that i left within 2 or 3 inches. The greens in Arklow always play tough with lots of little unseen bumps and ridges along the way and i just couldn't get the putts to drop. Comfortably left 5 or 6 points out on the greens.

Overall happy with how i played and feel im getting closer and closer to a breakthrough round in the society. I'm sad enough to see the Links stretch finish as i was just getting used to it (I usually struggle awfully on Links courses). Looking forward to the trip to Cavan and a return to my comfort zone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Thanks everyone for making the 16 holes at Arklow for the final round of the link series so much fun. Details of the next event at Slieve Russell have been posted. Linking to that here:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058293160/boards-golf-society-2023-round-4-slieve-russell-20th-may-1-20pm#latest

Advertisement