Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ultimately that’s what will happen…. The citizens of EU countries didn’t vote for this tidal wave of ‘refugees’, nobody here, joined the EU with the premise of these influxes coming in and our hard earned tax payers money disappearing out into the ether…. they / we are not being offered any say in it. There are some years where we are receiving over one hundred thousand per annum in Ireland..

so eventually…. What happens when democracy fails ? When people in democratically placed positions of responsibility, abdicate that responsibility, stop listening ? …Violence reigns.

people are not going to stand for 700,000-800,000 ( maybe more in time ) people per decade rocking up to our shore’s wanting and being given…

Free housing / accommodation

Free healthcare

Free public transport

And so on…. Paid for by citizens….literally ALL at citizens expense. Our expense in every aspect.

people will kick up violently. Not because they want to, not because they are just angry, but when their / our wellbeing gets degraded to a certain point, something has to give, something has to change… people won’t have an alternative.

some countries have problems …? Always been the way….we’ve had our own and literally were on our own.

not every country / state entity, or human can be winning…not our fault or problem.

just look at our capital projects… Metro… still a pipe dream….children’s hospital ffs…..8-9 years to construct… been talked about for the same before it was approved. Conservatively 1.7 billion over budget is the estimate .

but, hey.. let’s open our doors to pretty much everyone from anywhere with any difficulty, life challenges or sob story and us taxpayers bankroll their wellbeing, comfort, safety and success.. Never mind our needs, requirements or welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bsloepro

Forget gript.ie - all hail breakingnews.ie the new right wing media outlet !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bsloepro

I’ve had a look over on their site and can’t find a lot of it - I think they need to try harder if that’s their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

Definitely. Now that Macron has signed his Pension increase bill things will definitely kick off. People are not going to work until they die to pay for people who have no business being here and most of whom will never contribute to our societies in a positive way.

And now we have an EU official in Sudan. So no doubt they will be offering the Sudanese refugee status soon as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You honestly the Greens and SF are communist 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,466 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Around one in every one hundred people living in Ireland is a refugee or former refugee (I'm not including Ukrainian people in this as they are here under temporary protection and many may well choose to return to Ukraine in time). Has your life really been 'degraded' by this reality?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Nothing particularly unbelievable though. Apparently the mass migration industry in Ireland goes to great lengths when sourcing shelter for migrants to house the males separately away from the women and children. Because they're just harmless types seeking safety from war and famine in their own countries. Which are unsafe for environmental reasons only. Nothing to do with the men living there.

I don't necessarily disagree with the logic once you're facing the question of should I house transient men with women and children they're not related to. It's grim, but its safe. But I cant escape the question of why the same mass migration industry demands the import of more and more of these male migrants that they are afraid to house with women and children they are not related to while placing those same men in Irish towns and cities. If the advocates of mass migration are worried, shouldn't we be? It highlights the evil of the mass migration industry - they know the risk, the acknowledge the threat, they work to protect migrant women and children. But not you or your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

They talk about corruption in these countries. Think we should start looking at our own here and within europe as a whole. Theres something rotten at the core here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

For someone looking to rent or buy a house seek medical care its certainly harder . You obviously are not one of them

. Ukranians return I admire your optimism .Expected costs for Ukranians 2.5 billion in the future .

Direct Provision costs for asylum seekers 356,554,0000 . The costs which are escalating could go twords housing and medical care for citizens andtaxpayers .

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Makes for unpleasant reading and contributing to an increase in crime figures that we just don't need in this country.

Also only 3 Mass Brawl figures my back side...You mean 3 in the last week alone.

Glad a TD went looking for these figures.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41117017.html

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

I suppose you can show me where I claimed they were?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

Well, where are these African countries getting the weaponry to blast each other to bits. Then we say they are migrating due to climate change.

The *entire* population is putting pressure on housing and the health service, not just refugees, all five million of us. If we were to go down this route, you could claim there are too many OAPs in the country, too many culchies in Dublin, too many sick people, too many drug addicts, too many poor people living on benefits etc etc.

As for costs, the exchequer is currently operating a surplus of several billion Euros. I'm not sure Ireland announcing to the rest of the world 'we simply cannot afford to house refugees' would wash with anyone.

I always find this aspect of the open borders supporters argument funny (in a disingenuous sort of way) - it is the same as the "Irish people commit crimes too" argument, and is just as ridiculous.

The OAP's, Culchies, sick people, drug addicts and poor people are our OAP's, Culchies, sick people, drug addicts and poor people. They are citizens of Ireland, part of what we are as a country. Unless you suggest we start exporting or executing them, then they are here to stay.

Immigrants, whether they be refugees or not, aren't. It is within our remit to decide whether we take them or not, and how many we do take.

The pressure on housing, healthcare etc. from our own people can't be helped, it's what housing and healthcare is for. There is no reason, ethically, morally, or legally, that we have to add additional load on those services beyond what they can take just so a certain political demographic can feel good about themselves while their less well off neighbours suffer.

And this is where the refugee argument starts straying into racism and discrimination. By even saying that refugees who live in Ireland are not part of "our own" (even though it is a fact that they are here and will remain here), you are openly encouraging discrimination against them, by suggesting they are not part of the Irish population and don't belong here.

Also, people from ethnic minorities who were born here hear these arguments from the likes of your good self and will wonder if they belong here either. Many of our charming friends on social media don't even make any distinction between refugees and local black people / Muslims etc.

You know well that's an utterly dishonest take, but let's break it down anyway;

racism and discrimination - utterly idiotic statement - there is no element of racism or discrimination in limiting immigration, nearly every country in the world has limits, other than Ireland.

By even saying that refugees who live in Ireland are not part of "our own" - aside from the fact that they clearly aren't (the clue is in the name), as you well know I was arguing about limits on incoming immigrants, not those already here.

people from ethnic minorities who were born here hear these arguments from the likes of your good self and will wonder if they belong here either - again, a dishonest argument against something I never said - see above.

Many of our charming friends on social media don't even make any distinction between refugees and local black people / Muslims etc. - yet again, nothing to do with my post, and just brought in as a "wook at the tewwible wacism" silliness.

If you don't have an argument against what I said (as you appear not to) then don't try your strawman rubbish on me, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

305,000 applied for pps numbers only 69,000 were Irish n 2022 so its not just refugees or asylum seekers . The cycle we need more to cater for those that came is like a road to nowhere ..

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭slay55

Is leftist politics basically students that never grew up ?

• Advertisement

Did you not say that all immigrants, whether refugees or not, are not a part of this country or "our own people" and do not belong here?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

We have been through all this before with @Yurt2 pointing out exactly the nonsense about bringing in pps numbers

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The default wailing about racism is tiresome. You and others seem to think it's a means to immediately discredit or dismiss any points you don't like, but it's an extremely transparent and meaningless accusation.

I'll say it for you - they're NOT part of "our own". Genuine (mostly Ukranian) refugees are here temporarily until the situation back home is resolved, or until they regularise their status through legal means. Any other "refugee" who arrived here without documentation or illegally in the back of a container from a safe country like France etc has no right to be here and should be sent back to where they came from.

Just because they are here does NOT automatically mean that they are our long term/indefinite responsibiility - ESPECIALLY if they arrived here through dishonest or illegal methods.

As for those born here of minorities - if their parents arrived here legally and/or have regularised their status then no issue ... well, aside from McEntee and co handing out Irish Citizenship like cereal packet prizes to anyone - including those in the second group above who've "served their time" on the waiting list. But those born to illegals is no different than the "anchor baby" issue that was closed previously (but which certain corners are trying to undo of late).

I've said it before.. come here legally with skills to offer, the ability to support yourself and contribute positively - welcome!!!

Come here chancing your arm, "fleeing" a safe country in the process, or without doumentation, or commit serious crimes against your hosts, or with a sob story that really is just an attempt to bypass the normal channels for entering, living and working legally here - no sympathy! Back where you came from.

We have more than enough problems of our own, and genuine people that we can't support as it is (natives, migrants and genuine refugees alike) without accepting the chancers on top of it. You may save your "racist" accusations for someone who cares. I'm far more concerned with how we address these problems that are only getting worse so that those who genuinely DESERVE the (finite!) supports actually get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Have you checked our national debt lately?

192 billion..and we're spending billions on people which we've no obligation to just to look good.

But anyone who is not a 'genuine refugee' will not be granted asylum in Ireland (a person must be able to establish that they left their home country because they feared for their personal safety or security or health or whatever). So where is the problem then? We are probably talking about a low number of people in the thousands who seek to claim asylum under bogus circumstances every year (perhaps 3k-4k max currently and much lower in previous years) - and they won't even be granted asylum anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Can provide a breakdown of where you arrived at a figure of 3K-4K bogus asylum seekers for last year? Even a very high level overview of how you arrived at this number will suffice. Please then provide evidence that the figure is ‘probably’ much lower in previous years.

When you’re finished doing that, please follow up with evidence that those bogus asylum seekers leave Ireland when their claims are refused. I’d like you to explicitly prove the efficacy of the self-deport policy pursued by this government.

You wouldn’t be spinning yarns now would you, repeating your increasingly outlandish half-truths? Of course not, so looking forward to you linking to hard data..

Post edited by Hamachi on

But anyone who is not a 'genuine refugee' will not be granted asylum in Ireland

😂😂😂

Riiiiiight.......

Said "proof" consisting of a declaration by said "refugee" that they are afraid for their life if they return to [insert country applicant is pretending to hail from].

Not that the declaration, nor the supposed country of origin matter - even if the claim fails, the chances of deportation are practically nil.

In Ireland, what matters is that one claims international protection - the hows and whys are merely incidental. There's a whole host of NGO's that have your back once you decide that Ireland is the place for you. A large number of those being assessed for asylum shouldn't qualify based on the fact that they are travelling from a safe third country (which nearly all applicants in Ireland do), yet here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,094 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

And some people think it's a Pension crisis we have as we spend Billions already

• Advertisement

Certainly. A freedom of information request to the UK Home Office in mid March established that 60% of channel crossings in 2022 were made by genuine refugees fleeing war zones (Afghanistan, Syria, Yemen, Somalia etc). The same people have been demonised by their right wing press (and readers) as 'economic migrants'.

No reason to believe that the breakdown of asylum seekers coming to Ireland would be that much different - perhaps 60% genuine refugees and 40% bogus claims. So in terms of bogus claims we're probably look at around 3k-4k (and much lower than that in the last decade).

There's not a shred of evidence that people who are not genuine refugees and not from a dangerous country are being granted asylum here. The issue of deportation of irregular migrants living in Ireland is a completely different one. Not only would this involve failed asylum seekers, but people who have overstayed their work visa, overstayed their student visa, people who entered the country without going through immigration, people who entered on a tourist visa only, people working in the black economy etc etc (not entirely dissimilar to the undocumented Irish in the US).

Advertisement