Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Retiere, Roumat and Capuozzo all went off injured within the opening 15 minutes.

Ramos, Meafou and Dupont were subbed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Could rotate against any of Connacht, Glasgow or Munster. Full guns for the SF and both finals*

*if Leinster get there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Wouldn't be surprised if Ruddock is out for the season. Nonetheless while there will be some rotation it will be minor.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Was Ruddock injured against the Lions?

Yes, and in quite a bit of pain. Some kind of leg injury in a ruck but no idea what.

Didn't look good at the time though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Good few interesting bits and pieces in this article.

Cullen proactively recruited Nienaber rather than the other way around

SOB in charge of the game this weekend, Cullen back in Dublin

Will be first game Cullen has missed since started coaching with Leinster

Very interesting piece - my initial reaction to the news of this appointment was negative (but then again it probably was to the Farrell appointment too), but glad to hear he's being recruited as a defence coach predominantly.

Incredibly interesting that Cullen reached out to him - they're obviously sure he's the right type of character they want and have done their diligence.

They were never going to get a guy with the humility, technical expertise, character and experience of Lancaster, so maybe it makes sense not to try to replicate that, and go a different way.

I know they've spoken in the past about how much they value having contrasting approaches and viewpoints considered, and that's something they value hugely from foreign players who've come in.

Safe to say we share very little rugby DNA with teams that Nienaber has previously been involved with, but will definitely bring a fresh perspective.

On the game - I really enjoyed that win.

Prendergast is rightly, deservedly getting the headlines but an awful lot of young players stood up and had really good performances.

The good - Cosgrave was electric in attack. He's showed glimpses this year of the guy who there was so much hype about while he was still a schools player.

Tommy O'Brien was absolutely tenacious. I really love his attitude, and he brings a bit of niggle and aggression that we sometimes lack.

Ben Murphy looked excellent when introduced, really sped up play. I'd like to see him start against the Bulls (with Fintan Gunne backing him up).

Will Connors was superb. He is as good a tackler as I have ever seen. He also didn't get rewarded enough by Adamson for getting over the ball quite a few times. He'll play a part down the stretch this season for sure.

Deegan had an excellent performance.

Michael Milne has progressed hugely this season. This time last year he didn't look close to the first team, and even as recently as the EI tour he struggled quite a bit. The quality of the coaching he gets is evident. He's exactly the style of prop that suits the Irish team, and his scrummaging of late has been excellent. That Lions scrum dominated Munster this season in Musgrave, but in recent weeks Milne has held his own against both Ntlabakanye and Malherbe. I wouldn't be shocked to consider him a bolter for the RWC squad.

On the negative front - one on one tackling was as poor as it's been this season occasionally. All of Cosgrave, TOB, Deegan, McCarthy guilty of some bad missed tackles that led to Lions scores. Barron and Deeny both struggled. Deeny is particular has poor hands. The injury to Ruddock looked bad. They'll miss his leadership next week, but good chance to see Soroka start at 6 hopefully.

Finally, on Prendergast - I think the biggest thing that jumped out was how composed he was. The penalty he kicked from distance in the second half (when Leinster badly needed those points) was as nonchalant as you'll ever see. He made some mistakes, and generally I thought kicked poorly enough out of hand, but you can see his passing range and confidence. Super first day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Scott Fardy going to Connacht as defence coach. Interesting to see how he goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭DelMcG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Cosgrove for all his deserved hype for what he did well, was borderline atrocious on D. He can get a pass that most of the others get due to altitude. I don't think we fully appreciate just how hard it is. But in one on one tackles he was just flat out poor at times. And it's not the first time I've been concerned about it.

TOB also had some ropey tackling moments and for a player whose probably one of our strongest tacklers in the backs it was surprising to see. But he's had 10 months of no rugby so rust is understandable. I thought he made a smashing read for one of the Lions tries to disrupt the ball. They just got the pass away but it was quite clearly forward to my eye. Great decision and execution, tough call.

I don't want to take away for any of JOBs achievements in the last 12 months because he's been phenomenal and deserves to be where he is.... but I think he can feel at least a bit thankful that he hasn't had Tommy breathing down his neck for it. I think Tommy is a Rolls Royce of a player and if he stayed fit I think him and Jimmy would have been in an almighty tussle.

I think if Mikey Milne gets knock out minutes this season he's in the shop window for pre world cup camp and possibly one of those 2 warm up games. We've potentially 5 knock out games coming up before the end of the season and I don't think we can do that with only 2 looseheads (in Healy and Porter). He's barely taken a backwards step the last 2 games against 2 genuinely destructive front rows and some proper old school scrummaging tightheads. As of now I think it's fair to say he's Leinsters 3 choice.

I'll also be keenly watching the injury update today for Lee Barrons name. I'm not sure if he was injured (in which case up will have to step Gus McCarthy) or was he taken off early. The performance he gave was unfortunately just not up the standard required.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Tommy O'Brien got through the match unscathed.

Abdaladze and Ruddock are unavailable for this weekends game due to injury.

No further update on the injury status of Baird, Lowe or VDF.

Have seen it said elsewhere that Lowe was still in a boot as of this weekend.

Does Jenkins go again this week against the Bulls? Without Ruddock it's an especially callow pack.

A second row back row of Deeny - Soroka - Culhane (at 6) with Conor O'Tighearnaigh on the bench is not ideal heading in to face the Bulls, who seem to feel the need to reestablish South African pride against us this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Was fully expecting Deegan and Jenkins to fly home with Leo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The Bulls game will be a step too far for this squad.

Agreed.

They looked in pretty rude health on Saturday too - putting 78 points on Zebre.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

That photo of Sean O'Brien in the shadows is terrifying.

There is possibly a bit of a sense that Erasmus, Nienaber and VanGraan form a bit of a triumvirate and it's not unreasonable to say that Erasmus took Munster for mugs both in terms of the way he departed and also in landing them with VanGraan who is one of the games great spoofers.

Nienaber seems to be the Shaun Edwards of the bunch so am optimistic that the positive commentary around him is reasonably founded.

• Advertisement

Van Grann definitely the Lepidus of the triumvirate. Can only hope Nienabar is actually the Octavian.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Have to think that with Leinster struggling to differing degrees with the power game over the last few seasons that someone like Nienaber being so well versed in SA rugby should have good insights into how to continue to combat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Come for the rugby chat, stay for the classics. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

We needed a defence coach and we've brought in a world cup winning defence coach. I see it as a fantastic appointment.

I highly doubt that this means we're going to adopt a South African style of play, as many have speculated. Leo will still be overseeing the whole operation, with Goodman looking after the attack. Nienaber will be looking after the defence, while also bringing massive leadership and experience. Leinster aren't going to suddenly start trying to play like South Africa.

There is a compound called Denatonium that is so incredibly bitter that by adding it to alcohol you can entirely avoid paying any and all alcohol taxes anywhere in the world because the resulting taste makes it impossible to consume.

Many have said that denatonium is the most bitter substance on the planet, or at least they did until they saw this tweet:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Something something rent free.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

No idea what he looks like but I imagine a fat little man, crying in his beer, typing his tweets, every time I read one.

You have to love the bitterness, it makes life so much sweeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I prefer Leinster hype trains to the ones led by TRK. Ours go somewhere.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,642 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sad to see how far his quality has fallen. From a fairly decent commenter about rugby to a click bait, shock jock type of bitter extremist. It's the irrelevance that must hurt the most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hope he's okay, seems a bit tormented by Leinster these days.

Advertisement