Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭salonfire

In an ideal world HAP would be the solution to low paid civil servants in the capital. Couple of issues with HAP is shortage of property.

The other problem with HAP is that it would just be used as spin by the unions to claim for higher pay - and not just in Dublin - when their members are getting help through HAP. Look at the spin from the Defence Forces and Family Income Supplement.

Funny how the unions never mention about other workers on Family Income Supplement, it's just a problem when public servants are on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,306 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Principals aren't splitting hours for the craic. If they split roles, it's because they have to split them, because they can't get the Maths and Physics person, for example, so they take the Maths or the Physics person. It's a red herring, nothing to do with the argument about salaries for newly qualified teachers, but you couldn't resist crowbarring it into the discussion, presumably because of some deep jealousy of this fairly basic HR measure, one that is not uncommon in lots of large organisations, large banks, financial institutions, tech MNCs. It's a limited measure, that requires Board approval, and is probably the only thing that is keeping newly qualified teachers from leaving the career completely.

But once you had your fun, that's the important thing.

Principals aren't splitting hours for the craic

Teachers themselves would argue otherwise. Having NQT on part time hours keeps them keen by dangling the prospect of eventual full-time hours and thus C.I.D. Gets the NQT to take on the extra curricular activity. Granted, this is going back a couple of years before any mention of teacher shortages.

Thanks for backing up the point I was making though; due to the career break, the principal often has to split the teaching hours leading to the part name nature of the work.

Take the career break away, the principals dilemma goes away too.

Take the career break away, and the teachers head for Dubai and don't come back to Ireland, and don't come back to teaching.

Try thinking strategically.

Yeah right. The teachers will leave for Dubai and stay there. Get married to a local and have a family there. Send the children down to the local Dubai National School. Live a life where women need permission to drive or own property. Life without alcohol. You're living in a fantasy world.

If Dubai is so great, why do almost all of them come scurrying home after two years at most?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

It shows how the crash in 2008 absolutely screwed the younger generations. First came the job losses, extra taxes and emigration. Then came the accommodation shortage with the lack of construction. Worst of all, hard to see much light at the end of the tunnel so they'll continue to suffer.

Time the older generations, the pensioners ponied up after getting away scot free with it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

About 20 years ago I was a delegate at a union conference. There was a harmless sounding motion calling for extended flexi-time bands (which have since been implemented). It seemed a no-brainer but there was a speaker against. After the meeting was over I had a chat with him inquiring why he was opposed, and he said:

"The civil service is going to turn into a hobby job for married women".

Well of course I was shocked and stunned and appalled, but really was he wrong? How is anyone supposed to live on a CO salary without the support of parents or a much higher earning spouse? EOs are going the same way. HEOs are going the same way, ffs..

This is what successive "pay deals" have delivered - a gradual but very real erosion of living standards.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Scrap the cap!

They come scurrying home after two years because they have a job to come home to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Scott free. Explain if you wouldn't mind. They paid taxes...no?

Which older generation? I've got nothing. I expect nothing.

I work very hard. I'm lucky enough to have a roof over our head and food on the table. Good food.

Before anyone says Boomer or any such sort, I'm not.

Sick and tired of excuses. Yes we can do more and I'm willing to pay if it's done properly.

• Advertisement

Public servants who absolutely stole jumbo pensions and lump sums, paying 4% pension contributions, less when thresholds are calculated. It's only in the last 10 years they paid any reasonable contribution to their pensions with ASC.

Business owners who profited of the back of the bubble but got out before the crash.

House owners who bought cheap and now have property worth multiples simply because of lack of supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I remember a time when soap boxing was frowned upon…now it’s ignored because it’s generating desperately needed traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Stole pensions ? What planet are you on?

They got a pension they were entitled to in their terms of employment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,680 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I advocated last year for the acceptance of the deal which was the correct thing to do. If we were to agree another 5 or 6 percent this time around that would be a great little bump in the space of a few years.

There is no moderation in this forum at all it seems

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yep, all of the above was the teachers fault. Every single bit of the crash.

And absolutely nobody from the older generations, or pensioners got caught in the crash. Yep. Absolutely none of them. They all got away scott free, each and every one of them.

🙄 🙄 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭dubrov

A 5 or 6 percent bump over 2 years with annual inflation running close to 10% is really poor.

It would be more acceptable if the country's finances were struggling but income tax receipts are way up

I'm surprised you aren't feeling the pinch from the last deal already.

When are we going to stop signing up to deals which leave us worse off?

Scrap the cap!

Of course if inflation goes back to say 5% we'll be told that being offered 5 or 6% is a great deal...

...totally ignoring the ground lost when pay rises were far behind inflation. This is a pay cut in real terms and one which will never be reversed.

Scrap the cap!

Pay increases never match inflation and it would be dangerous and foolish if they did. The first rule of inflation is you never chase inflation by throwing money at the problem. In fact the opposite makes sense. Hence why interest rates are going up. You take money out of economy.

• Advertisement

So basically what you are saying is that you are content to be made poorer over time. Meanwhile your employer is raking in bumper tax receipts as a result of that same inflation.

Scrap the cap!

With which the employer has to pay greater expenses ... heating, fuel, suppliers. It's not just the income that is going up for the Government.

What are you expecting? If everyone's salary simply stayed in line with inflation, then it wouldn't be inflation any more would it? That's why it's called inflation, everyone has less purchasing power.

Looks like for some reason you expect to be protected from inflation while the rest of the economy has to live with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

If you increase pay when inflation is high, you'll drive inflation higher. You may not like it, but its a mathematically proven fact. The best you can do is at least index the pay raise in line with inflation.

i.e If inflation increased 10% since the last round of pay increases 5 years ago, then you increase it 10%

However if inflation increased 10% in the last month, you won't be able to afford to increase it 10%. If you do you'll find, as always happens, the economy overcooks, and suddenly you have to make pay cuts, because you are in Recession again, and the economy you rely on to foot the tax bill that pays public sector wages, has contracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

With current pay deal finishing in October and taking into account the Dáil summer break, when can we expect fresh negotiations to start, any ideas ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭dubrov

Really pay should be benchmarked against private sector wages and not inflation. I guess the problem with public sector wages are that they are generally upward only but there is generally a lag that allows time to mostly factor this in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You forgot to mention that no public service pensioners had their pensions reduced as a result of the crash up until recently.

Because benchmarking worked so well before. Its a buzz term but it cant work. Possibly remove job security and have governance around performance issues for example. We in the public sector cant really be fired for under performance. The same cant be said for the private sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Over the long run, nominal wage growth should outstrip inflation, assuming there is productivity growth.

Diagrams credit to Seamus Coffey.

However, in the short-run, real wages can fall, see below:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Falling real wages, while GDP rises, suggests that non-wage incomes are rising faster than wages.

We know that profit margins have expanded in the last year.

This will have to be re-balanced eventually, either by disinflation or rising real wages.

Advertisement