Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Kilkenny City - What's the best bin company to go with?

Options
  • 14-01-2020 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭

Can't really elaborate on this one :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Can't really elaborate on this one :pac:

We use Countryclean.... they're grand. Some of our neighbours use Dohenys. When I last looked a year or two ago, they both seemed to be nearly exactly the same price, so not worth changing over from countryclean who have been steady and reliable.

Rubbish answer I know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Deskjockey wrote: »
    We use Countryclean.... they're grand. Some of our neighbours use Dohenys. When I last looked a year or two ago, they both seemed to be nearly exactly the same price, so not worth changing over from countryclean who have been steady and reliable.

Rubbish answer I know ;)

not at all. I'll take it on board.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

We use Doheny's, no problems with them.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Good thing about Greenstar is they collect all three bins on the same day so you have less times to remember to put them out, they come every second week.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

All of the companies are around the same price. Use Dohenys, a local family business, they’ve bin around for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Green star for me. Their compost bin is an actual wheelie bin Dohenys is a little bathroom sized bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Country clean for me.

Changed from Greenstar years ago because from memory we had an account we needed to top up for collection which lead to timing issues! Probably not that way anymore or maybe it was the plan we were on.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

Green star for me. Their compost bin is an actual wheelie bin Dohenys is a little bathroom sized bin.

That is true. However, I called Dohenys and they had no problem supplying s second compost bin, which is enough for us. I like to use a local company rather than a corporate outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

We went with donehys as there is a midi bin option which is ideal for us as there’s only two of us. Wish they had a text reminder to put out the bins though like green star does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Currently with Doheny's paying €29 a month. Can't fault the service at all. Does anyone know how much Countryclean costs? Do they provide a glass bin in Kilkenny? Would really love one as I'm sick of frequent runs to the bottle bank.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

We are with Green Star. They have been pleasant to deal with They forgot to collect the bins one day and I called them about it. They sent a lorry the next day to collect the bins.

My Dad in Cork is also with Green Star. He has a weekly collection along with a glass collection for the same money I'm paying. I think it's €82 a quarter. Green Star in Kilkenny only collect every second week and there's no glass collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 snowdaisy

Just rang Dohenys to check their prices and they do the small bin package of 140l rubbish, 140l compost and 240l recycling now, for 25.50pm, works out 306 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭JayBee66

You could manage without a bin service. Here's what we do...

When we go to the supermarket (or wherever) we leave as much of the packaging as we can. Retailers are duty bound to take all point of sale packaging. We bring old ice cream tubs and fill them with loose things from the supermarket. A cloth bag for fruit. We grow our own veg. We try to bring home just recyclables. Polystyrene and plastic wrappers we leave at the retailers.

We have a large (wheelie bin size) black plastic bag. We fill it with plastic in 6 months. Take it to the recyclers in Hebron Ind. Estate or Dunmore East and for 2.5 yoyos it's gone. Metal and glass goes in the recycling collection bins around town.

Cardboard, paper etc. we either compost, mulch or burn in the stove. Food waste is composted or feeds wildlife.

Not everyone can manage to do this but a lot could.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,070 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Advertisement