Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland Shootings part 4 - Read OP before posting - updated 30/12/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

He’s the first man ever found not guilty apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭Quags

Regardless of where him or Dowdall end up I doubt their thinking what people on boards.ie think of them & their family

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭Xander10

Dowdall getting a "get out of jail" pass for when clearly an unreliable witness is most annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

Looks like he has the same fashion sense as b.o.b

• Registered Users Posts: 16,944 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Conspiring to commit murder as the head of an organised crime gang in most countries buys you a life sentence.

This case wasn't just about the regency shooting but the precedent it set of retaliatory shootings.

The type of robust legislation required to deal with this case doesn't exist therefore Ireland looks stupid.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If you read the case against Hutch being broken down by the judge today, it's easy enough to see how he was found not guilty. Dowdall's evidence couldn't be trusted. Also, the shooters seemed to be young and very mobile, something 50 something Hutch wasn't. There wasn't really any evicence that put Hutch at the Regency.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭40supple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316

With SCC conviction rate so high it says all it that this was a nothing case built on an unreliable state witness. It would of been laughed out of a jury court

• Of course he wasn’t there, he was the head of the crime gang why would he be. The case was a farce.

The states key witness was a convicted torturer ffs.

• I dare say, though I reckon for hutch it’s off to Spain and a life looking over his shoulder, I don’t think he’ll take part in anything himself

There's plenty of robust legislation, no need for more.

But breaking down what you said above...........firstly he wasn't charged with conspiring to commit murder as the head of an organised crime gang. So if he wasn't charged, he can hardly be convicted.

Secondly, there doesn't seem to have been enough evidence in the trial to show he organised the murder. There was an inference on tape that he might have done so but an inference isn't really enough to hang a conviction on. The judge said it was possible Patsy organised it and Gerry could have stepped in later.

The problem is that Hutch was only charged with murder. Maybe he should have been charged with a rake of lesser offences such as gun possession etc. to increase the likelihood of a conviction.

If I was Jerry, I'd be disappearing very quickly. Like right now. Firstly to avoid rearrest and secondly, to avoid a lead injection.

Not sure on that point to be honest. A judge (or even 3 judges) is more likely to look on the evidence objectively whereas a jury member might be more swayed by Hutch's reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

My thoughts on where it all goes from here. Gerard Hutch doesn't need to work or commit crime to survive. He's a wealthy man, who was dragged into the shenanigans in Drumcondra to whatever degree, by grief and the threat of a wipe out of more members of his family. I believe the Regency, it's lead up and aftermath will indicate strongly to him that he doesn't have a team of people in his family or associates that would be capable of existing as a serious crime outfit that could stay ten steps ahead of the policing capabilities of current forces.

On the opposing side of the fence, I believe Daniel Kinahan has realised that he bit off more than he could chew by supporting the Byrne crusade to have the Regency hit team and accomplices killed. It has cost him everything, and with the spotlight firmly on them in Dubai, their finances being targeted and their structures dismantled on their home territory, Daniel's participation in this feud in my best estimation, is over. Judging by the pause or stop in targeting the Hutch crew, and with the prisons stacked with their hit teams, it feels as if Liam Byrne has lost the hunger to man the murder machine from his base in exile.

I believe this is it. Gerry is now permanently retired, Patsy will continue directing the sale of tablets with his son and the regency shooters will fail in their feeble attempts to fill the vacuum left in Dublin's drug scene.

Dowdall, God love him...will die a nervous wreck, rueing his poor decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Don't see much of a fallout anyway the Kinahan's are in hiding and they aren't starting a shoot out in Dublin again. The whole world is after them now

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Pintsofstout

Anyone else of the opinion that this was the desired result for some senior gardai?

GangsterGossip themselves posted here after Monks arrest in Spain something along the lines of ;

“If Gerry’s convicted, everything will be leaked on the store street dicks(detectives)”

Can’t seem to find the post now but given the links between Harry and Spud, it wouldn’t surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,944 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I never said he was charged with conspiracy I said he should have been.

He's recognised as the head of that organisation, a organisation that disgused a number of its members as Gardai and successfully murdered someone as a result.

So, no the apparatus doesn't exist to deal with that type of blatant insanity and that has been proven today.

That act was something you'd expect to see happen in some central or south American lawless banana Republic not one of the wealthiest countriee in Europe. And the chain of events it sparked were absolutely catastrophic, it normalised gangland murders and emboldened a new generation of scumbags to be as violent and depraved as possible.

It was never really about the Monk being innocent until proven guilty, it was about the state saying that type of act will not stand. But in the end it has stood and that's the problem.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Anyone else of the opinion that this was the desired result for some senior gardai?

I doubt that. Having the main protagonists in this on-the-loose in Spain and Dubai isn't a good look.

If they're to go after the Kinihans in a serious way, it may be better to hand responsibility to the Americans, who may be able to tag them with their extraterritorial laws on money-laundering with dollar transactions.

I don't think AGS could sustain another SCC failure with the Kinihans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Pintsofstout

I get your point but I’m more so referring to the actions of a few rather than the motive of the state, should have clarified that.

I would be of the opinion that in order for Hutch and his associates to continue with their business for so long and pretty much un-impeded in the NIC (For the large operations/jobs, not the robbing of pharmacies and handbags) they would’ve found it wise to boost up the odd Garda here and there who then rises up the ladder to a position of power within the justice system.

I know it sounds like I’ve been watching too much Line of Duty but the Murphy bust lends a lot of credence to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

He was up for murder, not facilitating murder two different charges entirely,

Had he been charged with facilitating the murder then he would have gone down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Congrats Gerry, that’s a nice ‘Up Yours’ to the established rich elite professionals. You are the Ned Kelly of modern Ireland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Updaparish

No chance it's all gone up north now and that was the plan from day one from the hotel shooting.. NI wanted the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I wouldn't be beatifying him. He's a career criminal at the end of the day.

I know there's going to be an odd Pablo Escobar effect after this verdict with some people, but a saint this man is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

Are u the full shilling gusser? Try to be honest, ta in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭gangstergossip

🥂🥂🥂😁😉😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

Just watching the Virgin Media news. The head on your man walking with Hutch on the way out of the courts. Jesus he screams 'scumbag'. Who was that? Not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Looked like some lad who was in court himself today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

its a random addict who had nothing better to be doing. there is a video on whatsapp of the monk telling him to go away lol

i personally know the guy in question having lived near him in rialto - if often spotted at the fatima luas. not a great look for gerry tho.. could have done without

Advertisement