Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

LOL. where did you get the idea that I was somehow upset ? I can assure you that I am not in the least bit upset. Full of the joys of Spring if anything.

The Irish Green Party have been going hell for leather attempting to block the use of LNG here. Be that from a nationally owned terminal or a privately owned terminal. Your proposed solutions have ran from us buying tanker loads of LNG and sending them to Germany to be regasified and then pumped by a circuitous route or delivered here by tankers that would have to have 600 times the capacity of the LNG tankers that brought the LNG to Germany when we have no storage capability with the Irish Green Party also determined that we will not build any, too now your latest.

That being for some individual to buy LNG, lease tankers, ship this LNG to the U.K., have only what is immediately required here regasified, pumped all over the place and then sold to whoever and none of this requiring any financial contribution from said individual.

There has been no "going off in all sorts of directions" with the simple question I have been asking which you keep attempting to avoid answering. For any of these solutions of yours to make any logical sense, then to overcome the bottle-neck that the Irish Green Party are attempting to create on LNG, how are they going to be more acceptable of any of this than a private LNG company doing the same here as private LNG terminals in Germany or the U.K. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I think there is confusion as to what capital expenditure is. Building an LNG degasification plant is a capital expenditure. It costs hundreds of millions of euro, takes years to build and has to be paid for by consumers over decades. For it to make any real sense there also has to be a long term contract to buy LNG. Again this entails incurring obligations of hundreds of millions of euros

Buying a tanker load or a partial tanker load of LNG and paying the landing and transmission fees on it is not capital expenditure. There is not necessarily any long term contract for LNG (though there could be).

Whatever you wish to call it, that individual buying LNG, leasng a tanker and going through the whole rigmarole of sending it to the U.K. to a private terminal etc. is not going to do it without considerable capital outlay on which they will require a profitable return from. I would be very doubtful that by going through all that the price to the consummer would be any cheaper than a private LNG terminal regasifying it here

When it comes to long term contracts, the E.U./U.S.agreement has that covered where we would be able to avail of the bulk price and like Covid vaccines, if we did not wish to take up our allocation at any stage, there would be no shortage of others willing to step in and take it.

But then again, none of that negates why you believe the solution to the Paisley like "no no never" of the Irish Green Party would change just because LNG is reconstituted to its gaseous form by a privately own LNG terminal in another jurisdiction as opposed to one here ?

Jaysus, I knew Australia was undergoing a massive shift to renewables but I didn't realise how far they've come

More than 35% of Australia’s electricity last year was supplied by renewables, up from just under 17% in 2017

And they're looking to speed it up even more. They have little choice really, as the coal powered generators are collapsing as they can't compete so they need to get those renewables rolled out even faster

Where is the capital investment here?

You are ‘very doubtful’. Is that really all you have to say?

Do you not think that a scenario where a massive piece of infrastructure is required is going to work out more expensive for gas consumers? than an arrangement that delivers the same benefit by fully utilizing existing infrastructure with spare capacity?

There will be no requirement that EU gas purchases attributable to Ireland (around one percent of the total) would have to be shipped into the island if Ireland. In practice they could be much more easily delivered to GB or Germany and sold into that local market, with a back-to back purchase being made in GB and delivered onwards via the three interconnectors.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It was supposed to have been on line in 2009. Instead there's 14 years of interest accruing on top of the massive cost increases. ( technically it was online last year but shoddy workmanship meant they had to pull the plug, just like they did at the Chinese plant and will have to do at the French plant next year )

14 years of importing power.

Also it doesn't produce 30%. It doesn't even produce half that.

All going well it will produce as much power as Finland got from wind in last year - 14.1% NB Finland increased it's wind power capacity by 75% in 2022

Two of the five Finish reactors are Russian so we'll see how that goes. The Czech Republic, Slovakia and Finland are among the EU countries that are still using Russian nuclear fuel for their old Soviet-built power plants.

They granted permits for a sixth nuclear reactor back in 2010. In a country that already had nuclear power plants and was importing over a fifth of it's power. We wouldn't be as quick. Also last year they abandoned it.

Nuclear power is what happened when they decided to do something with the free waste heat from the plutonium breeders. And then the demand for plutonium dried up and then so did the military subsidies.

The E.U/U.S. agreement on LNG is basically the same agreement that the E.U. negotiated on behalf of its member States at a bulk rate price for Covid vaccines. Where you got this idea that the E.U. would have no problem with us telling them to drop off our alocation in the U.K., no longer an E.U. State, where we could then sell it into the local market if we wished, I have no idea. Or indeed why they would have no problem with the same for Germany.To quote your good self "That is not how the E.U. or the Single Market operates". Especially where we have a tail of the dog government party here preventing not just a nationally owned LNG terminal, but also a privately funded LNG terminal.

Telling the E.U. that delivering LNG coming from the U.S. "could be much more easily delivered to GB or Germany" I imagine would also be a bit of a head scratcher for them.

You have been talking about private LNG terminals in the U.K. and Germany regasifying LNG and then pumping it around the houses to reach here. Private LNG terminals require no State capital expenditure. Of course there will be a charge passed on to the consummer for the work they carry out. but how much cheaper is it going to be using a LNG terminal in the U.K. or Germany with all the related rigmarole attatched rather than a terminal here? I certainly cannot see any reason to expect it would be.

Of course to use that beloved phrase of Irish Greens, economy of scale would play a part with that cost, but you may have missed that Eirgrid has awarded Shannon LNG a contract to operate two power plants on the same site as their proposed LNG terminal. (Irish Times April 5 2023) A deal worth close to 50 million annually. That along with the present 30% of our requirements being supplied by Corrib, with that percentage due to drop to insignifigance over the next three to four years, would play a major part on the economy of scale cost of regasification.

Still no explaination as to how these proposals of yours would make a blind bit of dfference to the stone in the shoe oroblem of the Irish Green Party and LNG being regasified somewhere else by a LNG plant being somehow different and acceptable to them than the same being done in a LNG plant here.

As I said before, new ICE car sales are not long for this world. This article runs through many of the elements coming together that will kill them off e.g.

• EU 2035 ban
    • UK proposed 2030 ban
    • Euro7 emission standards due in 2025

Add to this the list of manufacturers who are killing ICE development and models grows by the day.

Oh and let's not forget carbon taxes, which will reach 100 eur by 2030

Death by a thousand cuts

Why do we need a terminal if as you claim there is going to be plentiful LNG on the European grid as a result of this deal you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Says motoring editor whose job is to bring in car advertising revenue for the local branch of Mediahuis (owner of Independent newspapers). Enjoy the ride, like all economic bubbles, the Greens ESG bubble will collapse in time, simply because the resources are not available to support it. When the errors are discovered, the bubble collapses and the malinvestments are revealed. (Austrian business cycle theory).

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Where's all this cheap renewable electricity we keep hearing about from the Green's?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭GerUpOttaTa

Green's aren't worried about prices. It's hard to see the little guy from the high horses in leafy D4 suburbs or their Frankfurt equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Is that not the core of WTO/IMF global trade policy's?

Produce only for export. Become totally dependent on others by importing everything you consume.

To stand on our own two feet and achieve energy security, first scrap the suicidal ban on new oil/ exploration and extraction. We have massive proven gas (and oil) reserves. Which would provide security of supply during transition to renewables over the next generation or two. But be hard to entice back those companies who have thrown up their licences as we've destroyed all credibility with the energy major's, So what the greens say, unfortunately the numpties don't seem to realised these bad oil/gas (energy) companies are also the biggest players in the renewable energy business as we've seen with Equinor pulling out of offshore wind in Ireland last year.

Ryan having our strategic gas storage reserve ripped out last year shows the greens care nothing about energy security. All they had to do was leave it in place.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

I didn`t say there was going to be plentiful LNG on the European grid. There will be a shortfall of around 170 billion Cubic meters of gas with Russia out of the picture, but with the E.U./U.S. deal there should be adaquate supply if we can access our allocation. Personally, especially after the recent furore between the U.K. and the E.U. over Covid vaccines, I cannot see us telling the E.U. to drop off our allocation in the U.K. where we would look for a private terminal to regasify what our immediate needs were and pump it to us while we sold of any excess being a runner with them.

Neither can I see them being enamoured with proposing the same arrangement with Germany. Or for that matter with Germany either who are going hell for leather leasing and building terminals to handle there own allocation. Proposing to change the directional flow of a pipeline, as another poster pointed out, every time we need gas for our immediate requirements would hardly endear us to the E.U. either. Or indeed the countries that pipeline goes through, and that is even before this gas got to G.B. which is no longer an E.U. member State and thus not part of the E.U. agreement on Security of Supply.

When you look at a map of European LNG terminals, either functional or being constructed, and see that even Albania, a country with half our population and estimated reserves of gas to cover over 100 years of their own requirements are building a terminal, I would find it difficult to blame the E.U. for a diplomatically worded reply of "Would ye ever cop yourselves on" to either of those proposals.

But even if the E.U. did agree, what is going to make the Irsh Green Party accept this gas when they are the crux of the problem where they wont accept the same flowing out of an LNG terminal here ?

Best of luck to them, but were we not up to 42% in 2020, and then it dropped to 36% in 2021 and down again in 2022 to 34% even with additional capacity ?

It just goes to show how intermittent and undependable renewables are as an energy source.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Greens are the ultimate NIMBYS.

Using slave labour to strip mine cobalt, lithium, and rare earth metals is perfectly fine as long as they remove people here burning peat or driving to the city.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭GerUpOttaTa

Poor black people don't matter to the Green's.

Some of the reports i've read over the last few years about the conditions of these folk are truly shocking but hey as long as the Green's can feel good about driving that 70k brand new electric BMW that's really what counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

How exactly do we get gas from Germany to here? This sounds like fantastical thinking.

How did we get the gas from Russia to Ireland pre-War?

• Advertisement

Exactly this. We don’t use Russian gas. There is plenty gas left in the North Sea and we are continuing to use it.

We don’t need to physically ship gas from Germany to Ireland to get the benefit of LNG supplies delivered there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

We're dependent on a 3rd country for our supply and the only way to get gas into the country is via said 3rd country. It's not a secure position to be in is it?

That’s an argument based on security of supply.

it’s not an economic argument. Putting in an LNG terminal wouldn’t reduce the price of gas for this reason.

With reference to security of supply, having an LNG terminal wouldn’t stop GB from blockading our gas supplies if that’s what they wanted to do.

In any case GB blockading by turning off the valves or otherwise is a ‘Mad Max’ scenario. It is hard to see how it could possibly benefit GB either economically or politically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Hard to see, but not impossible. If there's a shortage this winter the UK aren't going to keep pumping to here unless they have satisfied their own needs. And that is 100% understandable wouldn't you agree. We therefore cannot get any gas. Thankfully during winter our wind generation is usually OK, but not enough to power the country. We'd have no peat extracted and ready to power up existing stations. We'd be in blackout territory. Security of supply is the issue, not economics. If the country is down power this winter people aren't going to be telling the government they're great lads for not paying over the odds!

We need renewables. No one here is doubting that. We need a combo of wind, solar and battery backup too. But we also need backup of fossil fuels and will do for many many years to come. We're running down Corrib and our only gas will be controlled by a 3rd party. We'll be in a precarious position for some time. Maybe importing coal instead of gas to use as a backup might work. What do you think? Be cheaper anyway than building an LNG terminal and a lot of the power plants are ready for it.

AD is being touted too but we're decades away from that being any use (it has it's own negative problems in regards to the environment).

If Britain cut off supplies to Ireland then EU countries would cut off supplies to Britain pretty sharp. Britain is dependent on continental storage during the winter as I understand it.

Why would there be a shortage ? If the storage is fairly full in Europe and there are more tankers of LNG coming in compared to last year there will be enough to cover.

There are no natural gas-only power stations in Ireland that I know of. They can all be dual fired with oil.

I understand there is a field in Moneypoint filled with months of coal supply. But it’s the only coal plant in the South and could only cover 20 percent of the demand.

The amount of peat we have does not generate much electricity even if we had suitable plants. AD is similarly very small scale

The E.U./U.S. LNG ?

Not without the authorisation of the E.U. we couldn`t for all the reasons I have already given you. And even then would the Germans be even interested in such a proposal. Even if they were, how do you propose to get the Green Party to accept gas coming from Germany which would be exactly the same gas they are fighting tooth and nail to prevent being provided by a LNG terminal here ?

As I said, for us to put such a prpsal to the E.U., with them even taking a cursory look at the operational LNG terminals and those under construction in Europe, especially in little Albania, the reply I can envisage would be a diplomatic worded "Will ye ever cop yourselves on"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Jaysus, I knew that Australia is quite sunny but I didn't realise how much more of the sun they get compared to us.

Average 8.5 hours a day compared to average of 3,5 hours we get. Not to mention that in winter months when we need most of electricity we get about 50 hours of sunshine a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

There is plenty more to add. Like most of solar panels, rare earth minerals and wind turbines parts like blades are produced in China using coal. But they are concerned with peat briquettes and cows.

I wonder how far this insanity will be allowed or tolerated we are turning out to be laughing stock for the rest of the planet quite fast.

Imagine this....

• Advertisement

Corrib provides us with 30% of our need and this is going to drop to little or nothing within the next 3 -4 years. U.K. reserves aare not much better so they too are going to be looking at getting more gas from Norway.

On top of that, theoretically following your train of thought Norway could provide the needs of all of Europe, but to do so they would have to produce 2.35 times what they produced in 2021 to just fill the Russian gap. Something they do not appear too keen on doing for various reasons. One of which is the E.U. capping gas prices in December where Norway told them they were opposed to such a measure.

Advertisement