Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Edgardo.

I would be of the opposite opinion.

You should recoup some of the extra you paid for a non white P but you won't be able to recoup the cost if the wrap. You may even have to pay to 'unwrap it' when it you try to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Face-lift model 3. Is the drop in prices to move on the older stock. Wouldn't surprise me if they put prices back up a bit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You will not recoup €6k for a black P unfortunately. Wrap is less than €2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

I decided to stick with the M3 after a few days of indecision between that and the MY. The last price cut solidified that decision! I see a load of MYs are being delivered. No sign of the 3s yet, suppose it’ll be late May or June. Don’t mind tbh but excited to get the car.

The other M3/Y delivery thread is a hoot atm!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Or is the price drop reflective of the cheaper cost of manufacturing the facelifted version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Perhaps but aren't all the ones ordered in the last week non face-lift though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

are you considering upgrading the Leaf to a Model 3 since the price drop?

Not IMO, Facelift version is not in production yet. We may not see it until Q1 2024 or later.

The strongest possibility is that prices are reduced to rid stock IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭coil1985

What would be the cut-off point to order to potentially get a car in June, if indeed that cut off point has not already passed?

Base level M3.

Im not seeing much value in the second hand market and back thinking about this car again.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

Still the generic Apr - June delivery date & no VIN. I can’t see it arriving before June to be honest. As others mentioned if you can wait for a white car but want black, far more sense financially to get it wrapped.

• Advertisement

Hard to know - but I’d say you are close now! Failing that I’ll have a 231 M3 RWD with allots for sale once I get a delivery date for my M3P 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Just out of interest and a little off topic but is it easy to remove a wrap if you are selling?

I’ve never done it, but believe it is easily removed - but get it done by the right person!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Thanks, paint work should be pristine underneath wrap, a good selling point..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭sk8board

The reason for the price cuts is that Tesla is manufacturing more cars than they can sell. Once they announce the midlife refresh, demand for the current model will drop further, which is when you would usually see price cuts to shift the older ones already manufactured. For certain, the refresh model and the runout model won’t have the same price.

Look at demand and production for the ID3 since VW announced their refresh, they’ve dropped most of the production of the current version id3 and pushed hard on the id4. Tesla don’t have that luxury, as they only make 2 cars, unless they shift all worldwide production to the Y, but they wouldnt have enough demand then either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Certainly am, would you recommend? Thinking that with grants on the way out it will never be this cheap again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Poor owner, sold my 201 blue SR+ for nearly that much a few weeks ago 🙁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭sk8board

existing Tesla drivers taking the hit in order to shift excess production. Great for the laggard mass market buyers.

The way people have been equating ‘cost to change’ as being similar to the destruction of the cars value is simply not how economics works. That logic only works if you choose to ignore any money paid in the past, and the value of the time that it took for you to earn the additional money needed to buy the same product at a higher price.

At the worst case scenario side of things, buyers of a M3LR, in a colour, since the grants ended July 2021, and probably on finance, are about ~€70k all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭creedp

Just like depreciation is a normal economic impact of car ownership, especially when buying new. Prior to the EV revolution followed by the impact of chip shortages / the Ukraine war it was pretty normal to experience a destruction in asset value of anything up to 20% in the first year or between 40% and 50% of asset value after 3 years. The usual line during this period was that cost of change was the important thing when changing a car as this is what hits a person cash flow. I think people have come to almost expect minimal depn over the last couple of years but it's likely the long term depn norm will reestablish itself in the short to medium term.

Dont get me wrong I fully understand why people are upset that the value of the investment in their new Tesla has been reduced following a decision to significantly reduce the price of new models but all I was saying is that if you stick with the Tesla M3 / MY, then the impact of that reduction is somewhat mitigated.

100%

People posting thinking that value retention was here to stay. 50% of value after 3 years is the norm and should be expected going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

Tesla have shown over a number of years that they don't follow the motor industry norms when it comes to pricing and model updates. As one of the first to impliment direct sales via the agency model vs the dealer model, they have adjusted their pricing both up and down without notice.

Some peeps have lost out when pricing goes down. But others have benefited also as Tesla also allows potential buyers to lock in pricing at order time. Most other manufacturers will pass on price increases if the price goes up after an order is placed.

Also they don't follow a typical model update cycle like their competitors as well. Updates are introduced into manufacturing at times to suit themselves.

In my own experience, I ordered an SR+ in Sep 2020. Without any notification or advice, the actual car I received in Dec 2020 was the 21 refresh model which came as a complete surprise.

[Edit: typos]

Post edited by wassie on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭creedp

That was a very decent price to get for a 3 year old M3 on a private sale. Ive just seen a dealer dropping a 192 M3 LR by €4k to €39,900 which isnt a bad price for a now €50k car. I think asking prices for 20/20 M3s are currently too high but we'll see what transpires over the next couple of months

Yeah, I paid something like €49k for my SR+ in March 2020, and have absolutely no qualms about it being realistically worth sub €30k just a month over 3 years later…

If I was planning to sell it now, yeah I’d probably be a bit more upset over it, but as I’m in no hurry to sell it and upgrade it I couldn’t really care less what it’s ‘current market value’ is.

I actually still have a Model 3 on order since last year (when they cost €54k) as I thought the price was going to go up again… (and at the time Tesla offered me €44k for my SR+ with 67k km on it), but in reality I have no interest in upgrading at the moment (unless someone offered me €37k+ for my own car, which is not going to happen)…. So I’m happily all in with the current car for at least the next 5-7 years or so….

And as a side note (and if I’m doing funny maths in my head), we paid off our 20 year mortgage in only 9 years (finished it last Thursday), and at the outset our interest liability was to be €81k, and it’s ended up at only €32k, so we’ve saved €49k in interest by regularly overpaying and finishing it early, so as far as I see, that means the €49k we paid for the Tesla is effectively free money that we’ve saved by kicking the sh1t out of the mortgage….

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tesla are disrupters....and have plenty of disrupting left to do, they have plenty of scope to drop prices further

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Anyone else notice an increase in forward collision alerts since the recent software update or is it just a coincidence/my bad driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

I think that rings a bell. I even had a few brakes in situations that previously wouldn't have triggered one.

I’ve only had a few, and not recently, but the car auto braking is quite jarring to say the least…..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

Had one earlier this week that I did think came on a bit early......and it was jarring.

But not complaining as its better any day of the week than facing a whiplash claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Had a few in first month of ownership prior to latest update, and since then a few red lights and sound warnings for parked cars. Surprise one was for a pedestrian waiting to cross the road at a turn. He was standing at the kerb so the car did the honourable thing and slammed the brake when it detected the human. (Human just looked on bemused and did not cross.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Definitely sounds like the sensitivity was tweaked a bit! Fair enough.

Advertisement