Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I meant it was blatantly obvious once the season started yet, nothing was done in January, you at least agree with that! The reality is the club dropped the ball last summer, its ok to acknowledge that, can't understand why some continue to defend the clubs' clearly flawed recent transfer strategy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I have been watching him regularly since the start of the year. I've mentioned it several times on here. And he has been average more times than he has been good. He's worth nowhere near 150 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

The template for the current season was only two years before. 2020/21 was the season when the lack of investment in the defensive line after the signing of van Dijk in 2018 finally caught up with us. Klavan and Lovren had left without being replaced and left the manager without experienced players he trusted. To cope, Klopp fielded his best midfielders as central defenders and ripped the engine out of the team.

There was panic stations in the days before the January transfer window closed that season, much like we saw with the signing of Arthur in the transfer window last summer.

The results and performances this season are not unlike during that period. The late recovery in the 20/21 season coincided with Klopp getting the band back together in midfield for the final run of games.

Last summer, there were plenty of people on this forum who voiced the opinion that we were one serious injury in midfield away from the wheels coming off in the coming season. As it turned out, Fabinho's drop in form has had a similar effect, personally I think he has been carrying an issue all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fabinho going from the best DM in the league to forgetting how to play no one could of predicted. I'd imagine that has a part to play in not pursuing Bellingham and instead numbers for midfield.

I'd be happy with 2, preferably 3 midfielders instead it's what we need. Henderson can still make an impact but should no longer be a starter.

Thiago I'd move on if there was any takers, he's a pure luxury player, when were are in top gear he's a joy to watch and can elevate our midfield to world class but he really struggles with the defensive side of the game. Very injury prone to long spells out but we knew what we were getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We'd a good number of CB options for the 2020/2021 season. No one could have predicted VVD, then Joe and then Matip all out for huge spells.

We probably should have got someone in during the Jan window that wasn't the Preston lad or the Turkish lad tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm very interested in Gravenberch, especially at the suggested price. He's not the first wonderkid midfielder to have a misstep with Bayern recently, don't think it's entirely indicative of him as a player. Renato Sanches went through the same thing and has been brilliant once again since leaving Bayern.

Also even the worst midfielder at Bayern Munich would be in our top 3 as things stand 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We really didn't have that many options for CB; VVD, Matip and Gomez were the only senior CBs in the squad, Matip's injury record was poor, so it was obvious at some point we'd be down to just VVD and Gomez, unfortunately they both got long term injuries early in the season and Matip inevitably got injured. We were left with only Williams and Phillips as the only CBs in the squad, both had no real experience at this level and Klopp decided to play Fabinho and Henderson there, but, it decimated our midfield which lead to our poor run of form; Klopp had a huge reluctance to play Phillips in particular, and only played him when he had no other alternative, it turned out that Phillips and Williams with a decent midfield in front of them were adequate and a much better solution than robbing both Fabinho and Henderson from midfield. The CB signings made that January were of no real value to us, very similar to the signing of Arthur last summer. It shows that the club didn't really learn from their mistakes that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

When is this season going to be over ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I've seen a stat float around that only 2 away teams have won in the last 26 MNF games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Nunez has 14 goals this season, would like to see him hit 20 ideally, it's a target with 9 games left.

As for 4th, Villa are the team on the rise, 33-1 for a top 4 finish is nice, Newcastle , Spurs, Brighton, Liverpool all shaky, Villa are solid, 22pts from a possible 24pts last 8 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

12.30 on Saturdays and Monday night fixtures turn out the most random of results!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

The MacGravy (MacAllister & Gravenberch) Train is leaving the rumour mill station.

Hopefully the business will be done quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

I hear ya! Trying to think when was the last time I felt like this. Probably 2015, the year after we nearly won it with Rodgers, we finished in the Europa league places that year. We finished outside Europe in 8th the following season in 2016, but that was the year Leciester won it and I remember that being one of the most enjoyable seasons ever, I certainly wasn't wishing it was over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

A Roy Hodgson Crystal Palace beat Leeds at Elland Road last week 5-1.

If we can't win tonight..... 🤯🤬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Still has quicker legs than Fabinho/Hendo 😂

Again, we'd three senior CBs and two understudies (one of whom performed very well).

It's really soothsayer stuff to say we should have envisaged all three senors would be out before November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We didn't even really have 2 understudies in any meaningful capacity - sure Klopp himself did absolutely anything he could to avoid playing them until all the midfielders were broken too. Would def agree that Nat performed well, but Rhys Williams just about scraped by, and got very lucky on more than a few occasions (and cost us goals on plenty of others).

But loads of people here commented before that season that only 3 senior CBs was an issue - even just in terms of general rotation, particularly when we all know both Gomez and Matip need rotation as an option or they get injured. Now, I expected it to be a lot less costly than it turned out - I really didn't expect what happened, but we left ourselves particularly open to it. As defending champs there was just no need for it. Even if things had only gotten 1/4 as fcked as they did, that problem still would've been enough to kill our chances at retaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Same starting 11 as last week - Diaz on bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Strong looking bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

We had 3 senior centre backs going into that season. Including Williams or Phillips as understudies is akin to including Bajcetic as a genuine midfield option at the start of this season when hardly anyone even knew he existed never mind if he could start as a centre mid in a team chasing the title, as we were at the start of this season believe it or not. It's disingenuous and you yourself know that we effectively had 3 centre backs for 2 slots AND you know that that is not enough but somehow you ended up on the other side of the argument and instead of simply admitting you are wrong you dig your heels in which is fair enough, alot of people do that including myself sometimes but you know you are wrong here so no point continuing the discussion I suppose....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Same team as last week - Interesting. No thiago or Nunez both on the bench.

Ps If Jota doesn't score tonight it'll be 33 games in a row for him without scoring

Jota is a weird one for me cos when we signed him I was very underwhelmed. Then seeing him play for us again I was very underwhelmed but he was scoring every week so I just assumed I was wrong about him...now I'm worried that was a purple patch and now we are seeing his true abilities. I mean he isnt a paticularly good dribbler or passer or finisher imo. He is an excellent headerer of the ball for his size and had a knack of being in the right place at the right time to finish chances off but I've never really seen him as anything but a significant downgrade on any of our previous front 3.

Nunez consistently not starting now. What's the real reasoning I wonder? Tactical? Not training well enough? Out of form? Managing a small injury?

Really no.

I'm perfectly willing to criticise for the lack of midfielders this season.

Im even willing to say we should have bought, if possible, a decent CB the winter in question.

But was going into the start of the 2020/2021 season with three CBs, an excellent understudy in Philips and Williams as a youth player, was that negligent?

No, that's too far. I've already stated no one could have expected wed have all three CBs out for the season so early but you are ignoring that and it speaks more to trying hard to identify a trend of underinvestment in the squad which would be more appropriately associated with our current midfield woes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Nunez is a strange one as I think he keeps defences busy even if he doesn't score consistently.

Jota, I've been saying for years I've never seen a striker with no ability to shoot anywhere but dead centre of the goal. I'm praying to be proven wrong and he scores but I'm not holding out much hope for his long term future at the club.

Loads of people here commented we weren't well enough provisioned in a centre area? Not really a shock is it.

Did they see Gomez, VVD and Matip being out for the season by Halloween?

There is no comparison with our CB sitch going into that season, where incredible misfortune was required for it to be an issue, and our midfield situation going into this one which didn't even need any injuries to be an issue.

Klopp is doing Trent in midfield again 

• Advertisement

Nah im not trying to prove anything. I'm not part of the original discussion so have no skin in the game. Just couldnt read what I read and say nothing. You thought Phillips was an excellent 4th choice centre back for us and how we play at the start of that season given Gomez and Matip get multiple injuries every single season since being with us. Ok Noodler...whatever you say!! Not a hope in hell I will ever believe that was your actual opinion at the time. I'm not even gonna bother saying show me the evidence that you claimed that at the time cos I know it simply doesnt exist. Enjoy the match mate!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

This is the most useless possession ever.

The fear of playing a forward pass or taking on a man for fear of losing it...other teams can smell it and have zero inclination to close us outside their own third.

There is not one player trying to play the ball forward and make a pass or create, bar Trent.

And by default Alisson

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

I wonder who will give the ball away more; Jones or Jota, they are both very good at it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's a game that's crying out for Thiago.

So much possession and so little created.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

This is putrid and cowardly.

No effort to attack quickly and directly.

• Advertisement

This has been an incredible showing of Henderson passing every thing backwards and sideways. Possibly his worst ever. Sometimes there is good reason to, but tonight is bad.

• Administrators Posts: 54,112 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

VVD literally just shoved him over there, surprised more not made of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

The one time we passed it forward into a bit of space it went to Fabinho who promptly tripped over himself. Jota should be off at HT at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Jota having an absolute howler.

• Administrators Posts: 54,112 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

jota is a fairly limited player, he is one of those players whose level is raised by being surrounded by better players.

When we’re not going well his problems really stand out.

He's also way more conservative than I remember from his 2020/2021 cameos.

Edit: goal but will var rule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Jaysus get Jota off the pitch.

It's going to be ruled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Goal stands

Trent best player in red. A goal wasn't gonna come from any other source.

Woop Woop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement