Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

So, my internet went at about half 11 and is just back now...

Did I miss anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Ahh ffs, is that it? All I see on twitter is people fawning over the possibility of a launch on this date....

And the fact Elon made that prediction....

Well thanks for informing me anyway, was wondering what it was about...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Oh yea, absolutely nothing other than Elon memes.

I just wanna see that booster soar. Been following this for so long now..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I see Starship nearly launched today.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

This Wed 2-6 is literally the only time I cannot make, Dam you frozen valve!!!!!!

They seem to be refilling right now, so im guessing attempt 2 ASAP, i.e wed.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Hopefully Wednesday. I can not make Thursday or Friday busy them two days so either Wednesday or let's compromise and say Saturday even I would be happy with.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

lol @AMKC could we settle, 24/7 then 26/9 on the weekend :)

But looks like they are aiming for Thursday now, 2pm Irish for a 62min window. 48hrs to reload the prop tanks, insane they lost so much. Personally my prediction is another scrub before T-0, then scrub at T-0 due to engine issues (the static was only 31/33 and they said they want all 33), then launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I jinxed myself. I'm busy Thursday so won't likely to be able to pick my lunch break to suit.

@irishgeo and we're maybe all saved? TFR for Thursday is gone, waiting updates. Personally I miss the lock down days of 4am NSF streams watching a tank in baking texas sun.

UPdate (21/23/25th) new TFR dates

Post edited by jogdish on

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Still on track for today: "SpaceX reports go for propellant load".

Launch window opens around 14:30 Irish time.

Crossing everything!!

Looking good so far 👌

Just home in time to hopefully to see history being made.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Countdown recycled, no launch.

Edit: a few minutes delay, partially successfuly, looks like a few engines didn't fire. First stage went OK, but second stage (Starship) malfunctioned. Launch pad still intact so Elon will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Is this being spun as a success?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

SpaceX are known for testing to destruction, so yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

No separation of Starship from boost stage, entered spin and suffered a fabulous explosion.

Did Elmo launch fireworks for someone's birthday? Or just for the smokers🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's the first integrated launch that reached the pre-separation milestone, so it's a partial success. Proof of concept, if you like.

There'll be a huge amount of data now concerning the forces on the Spacecraft itself and the separation infrastructure, to be used on the next test.

Well done to the scientists and engineers, onwards and upwards.

• Advertisement

The tower survives - hopefully not too long to bang out the next one.

Separation woulda been sweet.

Seems 5 or 6 engines went out after launch.

Probably some sweet photos and videos too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

From looking at the footage of the camera tracking the launch, it looks as if some of the main boosters 33 motors either didn't ignite, or fizzled completely.

I'll see if I can snip the frame that shows the motors with apparent non burning motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Yeah, I thought I noticed that some engines weren't firing and was wondering why the SpaceX presenters didn't comment on it. They were so quick to put on their happy faces after it was all over. Let's hope they'll have found it useful and they get further the next time.

Snipped from Everyday Astronauts stream. The house they were filming from was shaking. Wild.

Wow, been waiting so long to see this finally take off....

Seems like they have quite a few issues to sort out before the next attempt, not least making sure them raptors stay alight.

Elon just tweeted to say next attempt in a few months.

Elons face didn't look like it was as much as Success mind you, he looked visibly disappointed in the clips I seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭feelings

"rapid unscheduled disassembly" 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anyone any idea how much that launch would have set Elon back today? Probably in a news article but someone might know of the top of their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

Putting a cost on a single launch during the development phase is sort of missing the point. One of the goals of their approach to iterative design, production-line assembly and use of (relatively) low cost materials is that the cost of individual flights becomes near neglible versus the overall investment. There will likely be dozens of launches of this sytem, with issues encountered along the way, before its declared operational.

A bad result today would have been destroying what is currently their only laucnhpad (there is some damage but there has been before). Once they got past that, they were learning tonnes about their booster. Reaching Hawaii would have been a wonderful result but was a hell of a reach.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

$2 million worth of fuel

Engines are ~$1m each , probably less now.

Steel is cheaper than aluminium.

If New Glenn doesn't work first time Bezos has a problem.

Musk can just go "Next!" Gwen's got lots more Starship's and boosters where that one came from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

Advertisement