Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2023

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

The traditional breeds seem to reach sexual maturity at younger age's compared to a lot of the continental types. Limousine may be one exception to this rule but AAx, SHx, HEx all seem to be regularly capable of cycling from 4/5 months on. Usually if a young heifer is returned to the mart for proving incalf it's a black, black whitehead or Limousine type. You'll rarely see CHx or other continental types proving incalf that young.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

Belgian blues would be noted for cycling at a young age too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Sh1tty day here. Had a heifer die here earlier. I jacked the calf and she put out the bed. Not that hard of a pull. Calf average to small size. First time ever here having a prolapse. Got bed sheet and put it under it. (Tip from here one time.) Vet came and put it in. !0 mins after he left, she died. I got 1/2 liter from her and tubed the calf. Got more beastings from a local dairy guy and tubed that too.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Tough patsy. Chin up tho 👍🏽. Keep the calf fed anyway.

Thanks. Well calf was cold last night when I tubed it. Cold nose, shivering. Neighbour was waiting for cow to calf to get fresh stuff. I put calf under infrared lamp all night. He jumped up this morning when he saw me. Lovely and warm again. For anyone that doesn't have an infrared lamp, get one. Super job to put heat into them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

I've been putting jackets on the calves when they are born for the last few years, it has really reduced the amount sickness in calves generally. I think it's been better to stop them getting cold in the first place than trying to heat them with a lamp later.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,597 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Cnut of a breeze out today. Young calves would need good shelter outside today

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I had a bit of a shite week cattle wise. On Monday a heifer lay down on a 3 day old heifer calf and smothered it. A fourth calver got mastitis in a quarter last week and the Vet gave us marbocyl to give to her for 3 days and we drew the quarter twice a day. She calved a fine bull calf on Thursday but unfortunately has mastitis in three quarters. I got about half a litre of colostrum out of the good quarter and bought a bottle of stuff in the Vet and gave it to the calf. We have the calf sucking the heifer three times a day but I have to keep it behind a gate as she hasn't taken to it yet. The cow is on hay and water and will be dried off. The other two quarters are rock hard and there is nothing coming when you draw the teats. I bought a tube of udder mint cream and have been rubbing it on twice a day but still nothing. The cow is eating and chewing her cud so I hope she keeps healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Not good Base, hang in there, things will get better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Now that she has calved, a shot of an inflammatory might help with the hardness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The Vet is open for an hour in the morning so I ask for an injection for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

I finally got the registration to go through as "provisionally registered".

Instantly got an e-mail back............

The registration cannot proceed as there is a query in relation to the age of the dam. If the dam tag number supplied is incorrect please provide the correct tag number. If the date of birth of the dam is incorrect please contact your RVO to resolve this. Alternately provide the RVO with the Veterinary opinion indicated below. The RVO may require a blood test to establish the genetic link between the calf and the dam. Please return the completed form to your RVO.

What the hell? Put this girl in for calving at the top of the cubicle shed, as tight for sheds. Bar was there to let some young weanling get in there to lie away from the cows. Got her out anyway and she just calved with 20 mins of getting her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

If it can happen, it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Just as well we didn’t put the calving aid on DoneDeal

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭alan10

16 days over. Joskins LM2188 Dovea. Waterbag out 9pm last night, 1 foot just about sticking out 2am with no real pushing. Jacked him out - not sure she would have pushed him. 4L colostrum into him @ 2am, he sucked another 1-2 this morning and out of the shed 7am.

1 more to go....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

bit of a mixed day today, dad rang me to see was I home from work yet I said aye I’m 5 mins away. A yearling heifer broke her back leg maybe bulling and he had to get the vet to put her down. Lovely muscly heifer from one I bought a couple of years ago. Very disappointed. I went down in the tractor to pull her out if the field for collection. An hour later this girl fired out this nice lively wee heifer calf. Tough break, we thought leaving th down the road at the weekend we’d have the same amount all summer

Sorry for your loss. Shame that she couldn't have been be part of the food chain.

• Advertisement

Thanks pal. Aye ach I never even asked that all was done by the time I got home. Don’t think that could happen if she wasnt fit to get into a trailer and it wasnt fair to let her suffer. Very hard thing to happen a young wee one like that. Aw as long as it’s outside the house.

Yes, probably law wouldn't allow it. Some years ago, my neighbour who owned a family butcher stall had a similar case, they dealt with it in the field before removal.

Aw there likely would have been ways and means but its that much a gunk either way I just wanted her away.

Hard luck squinn. Just after calving a still born there now. First time in a long years, I'd one not alive during calving. Can not win them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Fine Charolais bull calf dead this morning. Week old. Cow licked the navel off him after calving, got bleeding stopped and sprayed iodine. Probably worst thing I could have done. Tried silver spray and Stockholm tar spray and she licked that too so separated them, letting him in twice a day for a suck. Vet was out and said there was nothing more could be done. Sickener. One of the best cows we have as well, probably for the road now

Jaysus lads that is rank luck. Thank God I’;ve never had that with the naval I see it reported on here very often. Strange. Was the still born late calving or anything? Or just dead all along?

Bad luck with the naval Sean, a sickner, will you try another calf on her?

My Still born Probly died in last few hours, had handled her and feet were inside opening but head was elbow length in. Presumed she just needed and hour or two to push calf up higher, pulled with ropes after 2 hours but dead as dodo.

A few years back, I had a cow split open a calf on the underside by pulling on the naval. Calf's guts all out on the dirty ground. Vet put back in but calf died later. In hindsight maybe the calf was born that way. I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Seanhorse91

She has a great bag of milk, 2nd cross Limousin from a freisan. Ideal cow in every way but getting in a calf, bringing her in twice a day, and the risk of disease with bringing in a calf, I might cut my losses and let her off dry in a few weeks. I have heifers to replace her. I was planning on culling abit harder this year. Just didn’t want it to be 1 of the good cows. She had a lovely chocolat d’champs heifer calf last year, so she’ll continue on her line all going well

• Advertisement

Advertisement