Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Residential Areas - Lack of council maintenance/upkeep

• 17-04-2023 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭

The area where I live hasn’t seen a council lawnmower around doing the green spaces / grass verges since pre covid. So years…

The residents were doing it themselves through covid and indeed ever since too…around the corner a man, early ’80’s does in front of his house and the two elderly neighbours up to the corner … he’s a fit and healthy and young look 80+ fella who is active as anyone…. Grand, but still…he shouldn’t have to. so despite paying more tax, the state continues to derogate its responsibilities back to citizens…

kerbside waste / rubbish collection was put back on the citizens to pay for and organise… now no more grass cutting it seems...

if services were to be revoked..completely, maybe next the onus will be eventually on citizens to hire a cherry picker to get up and replace the bulbs in the street lighting ? ….

what is the point in paying taxes if you are not receiving basic services that have been for years responsibly available ?

citizens own or rent their property… anything outside of it… grass verges and green spaces, roadways etc are state land… therefore the state should take care of it…old dear across the road has her son n law do it, but why is it necessary ? Big green last summer where the kids play football was like an overgrown marshland. Grass almost knee high.

is it just where I am that the council are on the snooze ? Pre pandemic they were always on top of it. The green was a smooth a wembley and all grass verges were cut, verges lined up and maintained.

anyone got any observations of their own area ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Councils never managed their areas, we'd ouncil owned fields near my parents and they where cut once or twice a year since the 80s. If the green areas where well maintained then you had an active residents association who looked after it.

The council doesn't have the funds to pay for maintaining green areas in estates and it should be used elsewhere if they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In fairness here... maybe because of the management of the local depot 'then'...the grass was cut... trees cut back etc... they removed the trees a while back because they were getting too big... maybe prune them.. .surprised residents didn't need to organise too...

But considering ages of citizens in many areas and longer commuting for younger people working...before you'll take in personal responsibility ahead of social ...

Growing up it was certainly a council thing over a citizen thing but fair play to anyone having the time / ability etc..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

During the summer months, the green areas near me are regularly cut by, what I assume, are council guys (always the same day and fellas and they're driving professional cutters). Always looks tidy as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We voted FF in in a landslide to abolish domestic rates in 1977

We refused to pay council bin charges then moaned endlessly when bin collection was privatised as a direct result

We refused to pay water charges but moan endlessly about water quality etc.

We have an absolutely tiny level of domestic property tax (the only thing even close to a weath tax in this country) and yet bizarrely all of the left of centre parties want to abolish it

We don't want to fund local authorities but still want all the services.

Basically, GIMME FREE STUFF

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't the Greens want us all to live surrounded by long grass and wild flowers while we maintain our bicycles by candlelight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If its not council branded kit, its probably the local residents association paying a contractor. My estate is done by a very professional looking outfit but they need to get 50 quid a house off whoever will pay to cover it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i live on a busy road in DCC and they maintain it, but they would on a busy road.

i'd say the first port of call would be to ask a local councillor.

Advertisement