Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Midfielders have to defend too. Simply moving Trent to midfield and expecting his weaknesses to just disappear is a little naive.

I’d be keeping him at right back if we can field a functional and effective midfield next season. It’s about taking some of the pressure off him to defend and giving him freedom to attack. We’ve won every trophy available to us with Trent at right back, he just needs some protection from the midfield which has been absent all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

KDB and Trent have the same passing range/cross etc but KDB is more dynamic, he drives past players, he actually does get physical when needed.

I think Trent at faux RB with better midfielders is the answer (again).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Total hypothetical but if we want a right back I'd be all over Joao Cancelo, out of favour at City and Bayern don't want to pay for him. Obviously hasn't had a great year but he's a hell of a player, can do a bit of everything (including playing LB too)

Tho I'm also in the camp in favour of keeping him at RB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Top 4 back on baby.........

That clip of Klopp nearly climaxing on the bench watching his team press the ball sums the man up perfectly. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Konate was covering a LOT of space tonight - a (dual?) hybrid Centerback/Rightback role due to TAA not being there. Feasible against a poor Leeds side but would be a disaster against rivals. I'd put Gomez at right back for the remainder of the season, as he's clearly not the answer at CB, to give us more stability on the right, and play TAA in the middle ahead of Fabinho who's a walking red card these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Well that was brilliant can we do that every week please

• Advertisement

He’s no better than Trent defensively, but he’s had the luxury of far more protection at Man City. I’d still take him for his attacking ability though, would suit us perfectly but he’s not an upgrade on Trent or Robbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

City set up like that a lot last year with Cancelo. He really on played left back when out of possession and the rest of the time he was in the middle.

One thing I've laughed at this season more than other years is when we are sh1t first half and "let's be honest a lot of us me included" say how crap we are and "insert players name here" needs to be subbed off immediately - then goes and plays a legendary 30 mins and bags a few goals

If we can laugh at anything ive found that amusing

Jesus three of Trent's four PL assists this season came in the last two games against Arsenal and Leeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Don't play him as a hybrid rb/midfielder,play him in a midfield 3 and sign a rb,take him away from defensive side of the game altogether

Just looking at some of the highlights from Trent in the middle on Sky and yes he looked great but jasus we are screwed if we get caught out in possession. There was one occasions where he was taking the ball from Robbo on the left...any decent team we come up against will target him with a double press and it will eventually pay off for them! It works against a awful Leeds and the likes, but it would lead to a lot of stressful afternoons as a spectator!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Of course he'd still have to defend, everyone knows that. But put someone with the defensive determination of Robertson or talent of konate and you'd probably cut out the mistakes or indecision. I'm taking about the times when he has been on the scene but clearly marked the wrong player or wasn't clear what was behind him.

On top of that that new player will have TAA with 6 years or RB experience helping him out.

A new RB could then help out with the wide rw position pushing salah fwd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

City only sold to Arsenal and Chelsea because they didn't expect them to compete with them for a league. They know Liverpool are capable of going toe to toe with them so they won't make us stronger.

Funny enough I was listening to a podcast the other day and whoever was talking mentioned Sugawara as a potential RB player who can also cover CB. Very interesting shout looking at the stats.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/yukinari-sugawara/profil/spieler/405385

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We need to sign a left back, and play Trent week in week out in midfield. That is a step in the right direction .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

But we already have 2 decent left backs?

So that would be a step in the left direction 😉

• Advertisement

Great performance tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Plenty of plaudits for Trent (loving his pseudo-midfield role) and the goalscorers (including that excellent late cameo from Nunez who didn't put a foot wrong in his few moments, and had a lovely take and finish), but also fair play to Konate. Made a huge personal error, and just got the head down and was absolutely brilliant for the rest of the game (after an already brilliant first half). When he sets off on those Matip-like runs, it looks like no-one is strong or fast enough to take the ball off him. Incredible to watch him, some athlete.

Hendo was poor tonight though - where everyone else was improving as the game went on, like Jota and Jones, Hendo's game unfortunately stayed at a low level throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

But the Europa League final is in Dublin in 2024!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

...as did Van Dijk who looked elderly and arthritic throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

It's not a case of predicting an injury to players, it's contingency planning or in Klopp's case failure to do so. We had only three central defenders with first team experience going into the 2020/21 season. Matip and Gomez were both known to miss months of seasons through injury. Creating a situation where the team would need one or both players to be available for an extended period was wishful thinking.

Rhys Williams and Nat Phillips weren't trusted because they aren't quick so playing the high defensive line was an issue. There is no point in them being in the squad if the manager isn't willing to use them when the first choice options aren't available.

When Lovren left, the club looked at signing Caleta-Car from Marseille but decided against making an offer for him. In the January transfer window he was again strongly linked with the club but the offer wasn't made until the final day of the transfer window. He was sitting on a plane in Marseille airport waiting to hear if the deal was finalised when his club pulled the plug on the deal because they had no chance of securing a replacement.

Taking Henderson and Fabinho out of midfield broke the team. The lesson was there to be learned but for whatever reason it was ignored and the squad depth not improved. Last season Tyler Morton filled the gap for a period of games, this season it was Stefan Bajcetic. There was no reasonable explanation from Klopp as to how this situation was allowed to develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

4 of our next 5 matches are at Anfield.

It's the hope that kills you.

Newcastle lose to Spurs at home at the weekend and my eyebrow will be raised, nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I thought we were poor overall last night. Slow to get going, slow to move the ball at times, against an opposition that were nowhere near the level required. A couple of well taken goals notwithstanding, I wouldn't be getting too excited. The 'new' Trent role has been attampted a fair bit in recent weeks, but we won't get as compliant and soft opponent as this Leeds side every week. He looked good, but then again so did Cody and Nunez, and of course Jota and they haven't been great recently.

Leeds being crap was the story of last night's came rather than any great Liverpool performance.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,112 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I had to turn it off after Salah's second goal, so can't comment on the last few goals.

We were decent, but Leeds are defensively shambolic. Need to ensure this isn't just another freak result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

A rare enjoyable away day!

Thought we were pretty good last night although it’s fair to say Leeds are all over the place right now.

Still, nice to see our forwards have a good day out, Jota finally getting himself on the scoresheet and Diaz coming back in!

TAA did well in his new role I thought, it’s an area where we can get the best out of him. Not sure how it would work against tougher opposition but it could be the way to go against teams that will sit back.

Top 4 is beyond us at this stage but hopefully they can end the season strongly.

I think it can only work against teams that sit back and don't even attempt to press us around the middle. Which is few and far between these days as everybody has seen how vulnerable we are when you press any of our midfielders...Man City last season set up like that a lot with Cancelo moving in and out of the middle when required, the difference with City is though they have serious ball movers and retainers in their midfield and rarely give it away, even when the opposition try hound them to the ground. If Liverpool are to try this going forward then its imperative they back it up with a solid midfield this summer. The likes of Hendo, Fab, Jones, Elliot etc misplacing every second pass just wont cut it...

Post edited by Ottoman_1000 on

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

I'm not surprised to see you guys turn in a good performance, considering you had 8 days recovery from the Arsenal game.

This again, points to fatigue being a factor in some of your sub-par displays this season.

Even if you had the squad depth, it's becoming increasingly difficult to rotate players in the EPL these days. It's such a competitive league... but I think Klopp needs to seriously consider more rotation next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I'd be all over us trying to get Cancelo from City. If they'll sell to us.

I think he's a class player and would definitely make our team stronger and can play in multiple positions. I'm surprised he isnt getting on well at Bayern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I wouldn't agree with the sitting back. Leeds sat back for the first 30 and we didn't get a chance on goal. They pushed forward and we countered when there was space behind. After that the game changed.

It's possible he could be good alright, the potential long shots drawing players out and the second angle to cross from for gakpo and Núñez but we haven't seen that yet. Imo

Seems to have dropped off a lot, and lost that dynamism that had him impacting things all over the pitch. City, Bayern, and the national team all dropping him as a starter points towards something going wrong with him, rather than just tactical decisions.

Apologies I didn't necessarily mean the tactic will work at breaking down teams that sit back, as there's no evidence to suggest it will offer us anything different! I was merely suggestion that it will leave us to be less exposed playing this way against teams that sit back, if teams are to press us successfully we will be worse off than where we were for a lot of games this season because our ball retention and evasion of the opposition press is so poor...it obviously works great when teams come at us and we manage to play around their advances like last night, but how many times have to we failed to do that this season? That was one of Gini greatest strengths, he was almost impossible to get the ball off, even when backed into ridiculous corners he would play his way out. We need to seriously recruit the right players if this is how Klopp wants us to set up going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Football Insider have claimed that it could be Tim Steidten, a 43-year-old former defensive midfielder who was sporting director at Bayer Leverkusen but left by mutual consent in March. Steidten was strongly linked with a move to Chelsea following Todd Boehly’s purchase of the club last year, while Manchester United and Tottenham as well as Liverpool are now reportedly considering acquiring his services.

The business conducted by Bayer Leverkusen illustrates why he would appeal to Fenway Sports Group. Per Transfermarkt, Steidten’s now former club have a net spend of just 24.25million euros since 2018/19, the sixth most among the 18 clubs currently in the German top flight. 

Yet the value of their squad is estimated at 416.35million euros, an increase of 58.4 per cent on five years ago and the fourth highest in the Bundesliga. Though their figures differ, a study this week by CIES Football Observatory ranks the Leverkusen squad as the 20th most valuable in Europe, despite only having 25 players when the 19 clubs above them own 40.2 on average. Jurgen Klopp likes working with a tight-knit squad and Steidten has helped to assemble a relatively valuable one on a much smaller budget than Liverpool would offer him.

Leverkusen place a huge emphasis on data in their scouting, which will only endear Steidten further to the brains trust at Anfield. Simon Rolfes, managing director of sport at Leverkusen, explained further when talking to Bulinews.com in November. 

“We pre-filter players in some cases, especially in markets where we can't watch every game. It's all becoming a lot more intelligent, and you can do much more with data than just tracking passes,” he said. “For example, limb-tracking can be used in the future to find out how often players turn their heads to observe their environment,” Rolfes added, and that’s likely the sort of statistical work Liverpool’s next director of research, Will Spearman, and his team are undertaking already.

Without wanting to look too far into the future, Steidten was involved in appointing Xabi Alonso as Leverkusen manager last October. The former Reds midfielder has steered them to the fourth best record in the Bundesliga during his tenure, when they were 17th when he took over.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tim-steidten-liverpool-sporting-director-26478787

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

So enjoyable last night from the moment we scored. We showed we can still punish teams mercilessly.

However, I'm not sure everyone fully understands why the new Trent role works, what is needed for it to work and why he is not an elite midfielder.

First off, the man looked like Pirlo in his pomp last night from about minute 30. Just unreal to see him able to display his passing range. A privilege to see it, and to watch him do it so effortlessly too.

However, there is a big gap there that will be exploited. The reason it worked last night is because Konate was sensational in covering (bar his mad mistake), and Leeds went lifeless from 3-1. Trent was essentially the extra man, and because Henderson is past it, it was entirely dependent on Konate being a monster, and Fabinho being something like Fabinho. Imagine Gomez in there at CB, and teams that are better than Leeds are flooding that CB channel. In our pomp, we had prime VVD, Fabinho and Henderson's legs to allow Trent to roam. I'm delighted that Klopp has identified Trent's unique skills as needing to be unlocked properly, and he seems dedicated to finding a way to do it.

But he's still a RB. He should not be a CM. He'll be overpowered and outrun too often. you don't eliminate his defensive issues by sticking in midfield, you just put them somewhere else. So if Trent is going to be what he was last night consistently, we need Konate wrapped in cotton wool, a proper CB backup, and needless to say, and entire midfield revamp.

But Trent is generational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cancelo is another full back who is poor defensively, decision making is rash. Makes no sense bringing in Cancelo to play RB over Trent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

so where do we end up? Its a pretty good run in, I could see us winning all our home games but away games against Southampton, Leicester and West Ham fighting for survival will be very difficult. I reckon 5th falling a bit short of 4th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Southampton are last day of the season and they'll be down by then.

Leicester have Wolves, Leeds and Everton in the next three games. Lose to Leeds and Everton and they're gone as well.

The ideal scenario is to revamp midfield entirely alright - but for the rest of this season i'd quite like to see Trent in that right sided midfield role. We could remove Hendo entirely from last nights game and it would have made little difference to us, so if we swapped him out for Gomez at RB, we'd be a bit more solid in defence while getting the benefit of Trent being able to play more centrally. Thought Trent was quite mobile and strong last night in fairness to him, covered a lot of ground and got stuck in. Him as a double 6 beside Fabinho (or Henderson, if we trade those two broken-looking-men off game by game), with Thiago or one of the kids (Curtis, Elliott, Carvalho) ahead of them could be interesting.

Konate really is immense though, first name on the teamsheet right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Guess who has the most assists in the PL from Hazard, Ozil, Mata & Jordan Henderson.

A: None, they are all tied on 54. I found that stat fairly crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

I don't understand why we don't go a 4-2-3-1 at this stage. With Gomez at right back and Trent in the CM two with Fabinho first choice. Trent will always be a much better player with the game in front of him and allowing him to be proactive in defense. When he's asked to mark space and anticipate runs he is poor, those just aren't his skill set.

Yeah, would agree with that, particularly if the 6 beside him is good at reading the game defensively, so if Trent could sort of be a 6-and-a-half without the total responsibility of holding midfield on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Interesting to read that about the Bayer leverkusen squad. Went onto transfermarkt myself for a closer look. Florian Writz is valued there at 85m so that’s really inflating the value of the squad. Interesting that their squad is valued higher than the Brighton squad on that site.

It sounds like FSG want to use data and scout young players early which I agree with.

What I’d be a bit concerned by is the sense that FSG are happy to buy a player who’s price is discounted because of injuries or attitude, as seems to be the case with the Gravenberch, and the Arthur signing

Leverkusen are loaded with young talent even aside from Wirtz though. Diaby, Frimpong, Hincapie, Palacios and you could keep going. Whatever DOF managed to put that squad together must have some ability to spot a player, even if there’s some degree of luck involved (there always is, no exceptions).

We could never operate like themselves or Brighton do in the transfer market though, clubs charge us more for players and we simply can’t take so many gambles on young players because we don’t have the luxury of giving them plenty of game time like those clubs do. It’d make more financial sense for FSG to just buy a feeder club with an outstanding scouting and data department already in place (half joking, but it’s been done with some success elsewhere).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Only saw the highlights. Great to see a spread of goalscorers. Particularly delighted Jota bagged a couple and delighted with Nunez. Touch on the chest, right foot touch and left foot finish seemless movement really. He is hopefully going to show all he can do in the years ahead- I think he has it all and will become a firm fans favourite- as distinct to now where some want of rid of him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement