Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland Shootings part 4 - Read OP before posting - updated 30/12/23

Options

Comments

Anyone sparing a thought for Bonney and Murph tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

That's the brother-in-law getting the silent treatment for a few years.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Exactly they arrested him in a restaurant in the town centre, he wasn't hiding out in a cave. Authorities knew where he was all along but no point of extraditing without any case.

Kinahans were more interested in dismantling his gang than taking out the top man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

He was on the lamb from the European Arrest Warrant according to the Spanish Police. His wherabouts were unknown for a number of months and it was thought he left for Turkey under fraudelently issued travel docs then made the mistake of returning to Spain for some reason. He was arrested with a series of fake Identifications which he was said to carry with him in a bumbag at all times.

Come to think of it, he may not strictly be welcome in Spain and could cop charges for his counterfeit Spanish identification if he returned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Updaparish

He'll be everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Steviesol

If you look at how the DPP could not bring a case against Ian Bailey, but they could against Hutch, the mind boggles.

If this was an orchestrated plan by Hutch and Dowdall then it is hats off.

Head in the sand stuff from the retired Garda on Katie Hannon there. Great result for the State...doesn't bother the Gardai...did their job etc 🤨

Wow.

“One wonders what the case intended to be before the introduction of Jonathan Dowdall as a witness,” Ms Justice Burns said.

Reading the verdict report it's amazing this was tried.

It was a hit and hope case from both Gardai and the DPP. They were desperate to stick the murder charge on him.

But, like any case, if prosecutors bring weak evidence before courts that's bound to fail, it undermines the justice system at large in the mind of the population. You had a contributor on Katie Hannon just now telling the nation that Gerry Hutch is a good guy. Now, interpersonally to some people, that may well be true. But he's also a known racketeer, tax evader and bank robber with a history of violence under his belt.

So, they've made a complete hash of it. They've created some sort of martyr in the minds of a lot of people. The lesson should be: put up a credible case in front of court or don't put one up at all.

Water cooler conversation in the DPP's office will be interesting tommorow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It'll be the Albsnians he has to worry about.

Mad case though. The DPP really dropped the ball.

Who though? Hutch wont go near him. Kinahans are laughing away about it. They'll leave him always looking over his shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭numbernine

edited to add- cant quote the above- this is in reply to the commenter who quotes the verdict report-

Where are you reading this I didnt think it’d be posted for a while.

thanks!

You could of got him for 10 years on weapons charges but nah let's run with the murder charge we have no evidence for.

When does the top man ever personally carry out a hit. The man who masterminded the biggest armed robberies in the state, in his twilight runs into a Dublin hotel in broad daylight and shoots someone. Pull the other one

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Captain Fantastic 1984

Right result today IMO. Not gonna lie i did let out a Whoop when I heard the news at work today! I actually thought to myself months ago that it was all a big double cross and Hutch and Dowdall had the whole thing planned. If that is the case I have to take my hat off to hutch, cos its frickin genius🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭john boye

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Conversation on Katie Hannon re drug use:

I fear we're going to be left with drug gang formation and accompanying drug gang violence quite a while yet - because the noises from government and AGS is to stick with the status quo as much as possible, possibly just with a softer touch towards people caught in possession of smaller amounts of substances.

The reality is this: addiction and substance abuse is deeply embedded at all levels of society, it's not going away unless there is a major cultural shift and we all quit spending so much of our time getting leathered in pubs constantly and cocaine or pills acts as a bolt-on addiction to our primary one: alcohol.

We're a very attractive market for drug traffickers and people all across the supply chain worldwide. We're incentivising the creating of these cartels by being the market at the end of the supply chain with prohibitionist policies. And the supply chain doesn't start at Dublin Port or Rosslare, it starts in the mountains of Afghanistan, in the mountains of Bolivia, in the fields of Morrocco etc.

Legalize, create a network of governement controlled dispenseries, and with some European partners ensure that where the substances are sourced does not involve international criminal cartels. Then get to work ensuring we have a society with healthier options, like investments in sports, cultural outlets, alcohol and drug free nightime options, tackle poverty properly and judgement free treatment and counselling for addicts etc etc.

This is an international problem that only can have a full international solution, but as one of the lucrative target markets for drug cartels, we need to shape-up a bit ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Paul Healy today posting on twitter. Check the numbers out the number of views on his tweet now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Outside the court was hilarious, all the time the media were building this up as something out of a film

Instead of being ushered into a black limo by a bunch of heavies he has to wonder around aimlessly looking for a taxi

Annoyed by a supporter that really only wanted a score, he walked dangerously close to the DPP office's next door and done a U-turn,

As he crosses the road he clearly tells his new friend where to go , flags down a taxi missing it's front right hubcap , and who's driver has yet to pass his provisional driving test

Not exactly Francis Ford Coppola stuff !!

• Advertisement

This isn't over by a long shot. No way do the Byrnes let this one slide.

Just on the above. How does one pass a provisional driving test? FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Another retired one there on morning Ireland and just can't admit that they fucked up by not bringing lesser charges.

Are you kidding, Dowdall couldn't plan where he's going to take his next dump!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Yea, heard that, he stuck to the 'all the other good work we've done'. He threw the DPP under the bus in that they only gather evidence - DPP makes the call based on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Definitely more Sopranos then godfather…it will make a great movie scene though

And don't forget Dowdall is the guy who got himself, and his father, jailed for kidnap and torture by recording it and leaving the USB stick in the house where the guards came accross it even though they weren't even looking for it!

It's up to the DPP to decide if there is a case to answer and they thought there was, Gardai just gather the evidence.

I don't know where the pressure on the DPP was coming from to push this but I'd be worried if our state prosecutors thought this was a winner.

No wonder Hutch was so calm, they could never prove he was a shooter and that's what they had to do.

The desperation to get a key player in the fallout of the regency that turned Dublin into a warzone was too much. Hutch called their bluff

Hutch has a big worry now too. He'll be in hiding wherever he goes and always looking over his shoulder. I wonder does he regret the day the Regency happened. You would have think so. I know he was always a bad sort but the publicity of this along with 2 years on remand and losing a lot of his family has taken it's toll. I'd imagine all he wants is a quiet life in Spain now and see out his years but that won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

He knew he was getting off, so he grew his hair and beard. Now he can shave it off and be less recognisable when he goes abroad.

I reckon he had some dirt, and the state took a case they knew they couldn't win.

• Advertisement

His only regret probably is he didn't get Daniel kinahan that day. He knew what he was getting into, he knew the kinahans had recruited the cream of Dublin's so called gangsters.

I can imagine Daniel kinahan though regrets the day he went back on his deal with Hutch and killed Gary hutch.

Advertisement