Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I think the difference is that the teachers unions and some teachers like to pretend it's more than a job for them and we should appreciate them so much for what they do, don't think accountants go on like that.

Veronica Guerin was extremely selfish.

She had received numerous direct warnings from these scum and yet continued her journalism about them.All of this would be fine if she was single however to continue chasing after them when she had a husband and son was incredibly selfish, nothing she was doing was actually that important or made any difference (gangland crime is the same as it ever was) and yet she deliberately decided to proceed and in the process left a husband without a wife and a young son without his mother all for being a hero journalist.

I feel the same way about those people who decide to climb Mount Everest etc purely for ego and leaving families without a husband or father.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I’m not sure many accountants spend their own money and time buying equipment and supplies and preparing materials in the way that the teachers in my family do.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

Your wrong

She was as brave as a person could be not selfish at all her family understand that , , she was enraged with what these gangs got away with & how if effected normal working class people & families ,She was determined not to let them get away with it & went after the crime bosses in a way the Garda at the time could not,

In the end her murder brought about a huge change in our justice system & made these guys accountable for there actions ,

CAB alone was a game changer

Without people like Veronica the world would be a far worse place,

You have a young child you let someone else be a hero.

There is more crime and drugs in Dublin today than there ever has been she's made no difference sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

She made a big difference, you can not argue CAB was a game changer for criminals & still is a massive torn in there side today, We even have mini cab now doing a good job ,

So once we have children we should all just stop fighting for what we believe in , your truly a man of the times,

Jack through our history & even today in 2023 there are many many places in the world that suffer because people don't stand up for what's right , Someone trying to make a better world for there children is never wrong ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

People who have pets really are in no position to judge others on animal rights. It bugs me that they can't see the comparisons of the industry/culture in which they partake in/encourage with the likes of the food industry and horseracing.

They're all there to exploit animals for money and human pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

If women participating in sport can't take the rough with the smooth, they shouldn't be crying for an equal footing with men's sport.

For example, the women's rugby team have lost all three of their Six Nations games so far, with England still to come. They are getting a bit of criticism and flak on social media, but nowhere near the extent their male counterparts would be subjected to in identical circumstances. Yet seemingly the players have gone off social media as a result.

I cover a lot of female sports at a local level, and there is an unwritten rule where no matter how bad Team A played, or how much they got beaten by, you can't be overly negative. "They tried to the very end"....."just wasn't their day"......that sort of stuff.

I can't take it seriously when everything is sugar-coated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭cms88

I was actually going to post this somewhere eles. Seen an interview with the captain and her comments were laughable. Saying maybe people will get bored of the criticism. Pretty much trying to say thye shouldn't get any criticism for their displays. A lot of these things they're bringing up are just a way to try and get people to think about something else. If a male team had their arses handed to them in the same way they'd be slated and would be told it's something you have to put upwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

If you have ever been in an argument with a woman then this deflection is par for the course. They will only argue the point if they are right. If they're wrong they'll bring up some other unrelated issue.

• Advertisement

That's becoming very common in female sports. If the results are bad just pull the sexism card.

That’s hilarious. You read the post that you quoted, and accuse female sports players of sexism!

I'm talking about you quoting a post that starts out "If you have ever been in an argument with a woman" but the sexism you notice is from female sports players. Try looking a bit closer to home.

Still don't know what point you're trying to make?

I'm saying in recent times when female sports teams aren't getting results and people talk about it it's claimed to be sexism. Do you understand? Or does is need to be made simpler for you?

I'm suggesting that making a deep point about sexism by quoting a post that is intrinsically sexist isn't a great tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

I’m currently writing a book, entitled The Importance of Being Racist it’s about maintaining a status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Car tax should be based on the size & type of vehicle.

absolutely no need for some of these monster size BMWs Mercs Audis Range Rovers.

Better still, make it proportional to the wear and tear caused on the road, which by the 'fourth power law' of engineering, would look something like this:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Don't worry, it's coming. Once most of the country have been fooled in EV's, the gubbermint will realise how much tax money they're missing from them, and introduce a new weight based system. Enjoy your EV then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

I just don't see women's rugby or football as elite sports but my god the media are just ramming it down our throats as if they are.

I can only assume it's cheap to air in an era of real elite sports being taken away from terrestrial media, hence it being presented as major sports. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,287 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The price for taxing commercial vehicles in this country is ridiculous. Especially HGVs…

massive road usage, massive weight, more potential and activity do cause more damage to our roads than private cars… but tax is a pittance…

The Rugby team took another hammering yesterday. Will we see muchsaid about it? No more than likely not. Just more interviews from players more than likely blaming someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

In our Information Age, People have not learned to be selective enough about what they read.

Junk “free” media news is the McDonald’s of media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Veneers usually look really fake. They're often far too white and uniformly straight, and nothing like natural teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Especially when the top set are blindingly white and the original bottom set are off white

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

We should have water charges.

Our pipes are insanely old and leaky (I believe it's 40% of treated water ends up leaking) and we've no guaranteed source of funding. Irish Water gets a yearly budget now but its funding isn't based on usage. Basic economics is that you pay for what you used, same as every other utility (phones electricity gas). With pay by use the money can be spent fixing pipes which reduces the amount of water needed creating a virtuous cycle.

IW should install water meters outside every building in the country but not charge. Then in future introduce modest charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Anti-water charge protests were a gift to opposition politicians. It was an issue that could mobilise the whole electorate which is very rare. Old, young, home owners, renters, retired, unemployed, single parents, rich, poor, urban, rural etc etc had an interest in it.

Opposite knew they could make huge gains from it and people who would never listen to a word they said before would listen. With the bullying lump FG put in charge of it, it was never going to succeed anyway.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,820 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I always found it amazing how everyone was up in arms about water charges but absolutely rolled over and accepted the introduction of local property tax.

• Advertisement
Advertisement