Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Glasgow the form team in URC outside Leinster. Wouldn't be going weak against them. Reckon they will win challenge cup which might distract them.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Exact same as I imagine. Most of those Twitter fan pages are. Particularly the Munster ones for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

TRK still does good analysis, but I find that he gets weirdly bitter and personal about things when his side doesn't perform. Everyone gets that way from time to time in, but he once held himself out as someone who didn't like the state of Irish rugby fandom and journalism. He's peddling directly into that base now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Felt the nice Munster win over the weekend would get the grifters off the Leinster moan-wagon but apparently not.

All he does is hype Munster players and rightfully so. It is really weird and sad to be precious with it happening to players from other provinces.

Between the Leinster and Ireland success (powered by Leinster players) we've really broken them and Leinster havent even won a trophy.

I'm sure he'll use their usual tactic of moaning about his mentions in no time - the rare time I've been curious and taken a look there has never been anything close to as deranged as his original post.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I highly doubt that this means we're going to adopt a South African style of play, as many have speculated.

Have many speculated that? That’s not my impress at all tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ultimately he's just playing to the base to keep engagement and subscribers up.

I'm far more perturbed by whomever in the media is questioning whether Leinster should loan out some of their players to the Pro D2 for experience. That's a bonkers suggestion for a number of reasons.

Leinster have proven time and again that they're excellent at using a large squad and giving their a academy players plenty of opportunities. There's no other province even half as good,despite them but having the same strength in depth.

Secondly, the Pro D2 is a vicious league and some of those younger players would be battered. They're better off getting the best coaching possible at Leinster.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/united-rugby-championship/2023/0417/1377477-no-place-like-home-for-prendergast-says-obrien/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Suspect the same person writing the article. Haven't heard it mentioned elsewhere as its obviously a stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ersatz

I don't pay much attention to this stuff but they're not wrong about the serial hype train that comes along every time a young ten has a decent game or even a line break. Frawley, HB, Crowley, McKinley, Hanrahan, and now Prendergast. There are plenty of others, including most infamously J Carbery. So he's got point, or half a point because the hype extends to Munster as readily as to Leinster, just that Leinster have a new one coming along every year and Munster less often. Probably the least hyped of the lot is Ross Byrne, whose been my own heir apparent for several years, even when he was in the wlilderness.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

He does this to provoke a reaction so he can then complain about comments in his mentions/DMs

Prendergast didn't just appear out-of nowhere last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I'm not a fan of TRK by any stretch, but does he not have a bit of a point? Mind you, I don't know what he's on about re Tector. Nobody was ever hyping him up. But we've been here before, particularly with Harry Byrne, who was getting the exact same hype Prendergast is getting now (I was guilty of it too). Prendergast has played one game of professional rugby, and to my eye was a bit of a mixed bag and was nowhere near the best player on the field (that was Cosgrave). He did some good stuff, but also made a few errors. And watching him for the u20s, there are clearly holes in his game. Yet here he is being given token MOTM awards, being touted as the next big thing and the heir to the Irish 10 jersey. Maybe he is. But I'd be in favour of just calming it down a tad and letting him play and develop before he's anointed as the messiah. We've been here before.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No he doesn’t have a point, Harry was hyped up along with some Munster 10s. His point was trying to disparage Leinster because of a chip on his pathetic shoulder whilst ignoring Munster supporters do the exact same thing. It’s just click bait attention seeking.

Clearly we remember the talk around HB differently, and while obviously its possible my memory is the faulty one, my recollection is that the talk around Byrne was far more in the "he's got a lot of potential and all the other options are not good enough, so its worth giving him a shot".

The fact that his motivations might be dodgy (which I agree with), that doesn't make his point 100% wrong. And just because Munster 10s also get overhyped, that doesn't mean that the same thing isn't happening to Prendergast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

His point isn't in good faith when he's starts throwing Tector and Ross Byrne (don't recall this level of hype for Ross) in just to bulk up numbers to make fans look more ridiculous.

Cosgrove was hardly the best player on the pitch either, he made numerous glaring errors and was a big issue in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Leinster aren't really capable of "going weak".

As I said, I'm no fan of TRK. And I agree his point wasn't in good faith. That doesn't make it totally wrong. Agree or disagree?

Do you think Harry Byrne was called up to Ireland squads on the back of Twitter hype?

TRK is a paid troll and it's absolutely desperate he's gained any sort of following. This is the same account that had half the Munster posters on here shiting on about "MOLFs" (Munster obsessed Leinster fans) for about 6 months.

Do you think Harry Byrne was called up to Ireland squads on the back of Twitter hype?

Obviously not. I don't see how that's got anything to do with the point I'm making. Which is, maybe let's not anoint a 19 year old as the next big thing after one mixed game. Which, however dishonest his intentions may be, seems to be the overall point TRK is trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

Prendergast is going to have to bulk up quite a bit, for his own safety if nothing else. He doesn't want to end up been perceived as a defensive liability a la O'Gara/Carbery.

It wasn't a "mixed game" and it most certainly wasn't a mixed game in the context of a first professional start in a weakened team away in South Africa. It was an absolutely excellent debut.

That is, of course, all it is so far but coming on the back of being the best player in an U20s GS its not remotely silly to be excited about the chap.

• Advertisement

Yeah, this is it really. This is half the fun of being a fan - it's the wishcasting forward and thinking of how good Player X can be. Munster fans have (justifiably) been doing it this season too about Jack Crowley.

It's one of the things I most enjoy about being a Leinster fan - watching players develop and flourish.

Also - while there have been plenty of jokey posts about Prendergast being the next Sexton etc, most of the posts praising his performances were also couched with language describing how he made some mistakes too, but fans are 100% right and entitled to be excited about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Except it's a pretty much pointless point to make. He's not going to hold back the hype-train by tweeting about it (and in the process adding to the hype). And laudable as it may be to try not to put pressure on the lad, making comparisons with other emerging tens and their success or failure is hardly helpful to anyone. In fact the tone is if anything, dismissive and derogatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I wonder if there are any MOLFs who are MILFs.

The real irony of this sort of comment from this clown is that I can't recall a single incident where Leinster fans "cast aside" any of the 10s he mentioned; the impediments to Harry Byrne's and Ciaran Frawley's progress has predominantly been injury.

People have never claimed Ross Byrne to be the second coming of Jonathan Sexton, but that doesn't mean he isn't still the second best out half on this island right now.

Ironically, there is a sizable cohort of Munster support though that has the knives out for Joey Carbery pretty much every time he struggles.

There was no point being made in the initial tweet, it was pure unfiltered lemons and a bit sad from what presumably is a grown up.

The pivot to faux concern in subsequent tweets does raise a point but it's lost in the fact that the only problematic hyping is with Leinster players.

Prendergast had a fine debut, but against a poor team and it's only one game. My post history is littered with genuine confusion as to why Harry Byrne was consistently getting Ireland camp call ups. Against this however is the fact that Leinster is one of, if not the best rugby clubs in the world and consistently produces internationals. If 19 / 20 year old players are starting for Leinster it's a sign of a very high ceiling given the options available.

Outhalf for Leinster (and Ireland) is probably the exception. We've had continuity from Humphries to O'Gara to Sexton but for the first time in decades there is no obvious 'next up' for one of the highest profile positions in rugby. That void is a big part of the hype and every commenter want's to be able to point back and say 'called it' when the heir eventually secures the jersey.

The hype is fundamentally because this isn't about the next Leinster outhalf, it's very much about the search for Ireland's. I also don't see any of these players getting discarded, Crowley is now starting for Munster and Harry Byrne was kept home from the SA tour with knock out rugby in mind - the opposite of being discarded.

The only player that has fallen out of the picture is Carbery, but after a half decade of not taking his chances that's hardly unreasonable.

That's one area where his height will work against him and off season will be very important. He's quite gangly given he just finished growing and is 6"4 in a position that requires good athleticism. It's difficult to build size when a lot of your training is aerobic so he'll need to work hard to have the padding required to defend the 10 channel.

Would like to see him get a few starts at 12 next season, always like halves that are comfortable stepping into inside centre.

Utterly bizarre. Who on earth has been cast aside or turned on by Leinster supporters? There's pretty much been universal acclaim for Ross and I think everyone can see that Harry is benefiting from the extra games. There's been basically no talk about Tector because he's barely played.

Leinster supporters - not allowed get excited about young players and I will insult anyone who argues with me.

The guy is a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The guy is a clown.

He's not a clown, he's a very canny operator pandering to his paying customers who absolutely lap this sh1t up.

He knows full well that he's being a cock and he knows full well it will drive more traffic to his Patreon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Pretty much this.

If you treat TRK as a journalist whose obligated to remain at least somewhat neutral then you're going to get pissed off with what he has to say.

He's a blogger with a decent eye for analysis who enjoys twitter after a few too many pints by the looks of it. He is unashamedly pro Munster and pro any mild take that can spin Munster in a better light. It's his bread and butter and the people who pay for his stuff are cut from the exact same cloth. He's eeking a living out of it and power to him.

Engaging with it is just a waste of time.

It reminds me a bit of Squidge. He has no obligation to be neutral and can make content about whatever he wants to. He clearly doesn't have much Grá for Irish rugby or (more likely) the fans. So he comes in with the little jabs that people who think he shouldn't have these come in with and all it does is increase his traffic and profile because people had the bandwidth to engage him.

Like many things... it's easier not to bother.

TRK can post about all the shite Leinster fans get up to, get a free pint of Murphys from some loser who lives in the same sad world where jabbing Leinster and getting a rise out of the fans is the only thing Munster have to celebrate ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Who in the name of god pays him money? That can’t be right. Fools and their money

Advertisement