Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delivery Drivers outside McDonalds Cork Road

• 01-04-2023 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know if the delivery drivers that work for McDonalds deliveries, work for McDonalds or are self employed? I've noticed a huge increase in drivers parking directly across from McDonalds and have had and have seen a few near misses with the drivers some of whom are parked halfway out on the road, I would just like to know to see who needs to be contacted about it.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

This is as a result of Woodies closing off their carpark. Their car park was being used by driving instructors and Justeat delivery drivers and I assume customers of McDonalds. As its a public road, I honestly don't think there is anything which Mcdonalds can do about it, but might be no harm contacting them about it. I know exactly what you are referring to thought, I've see a Yaris doing it on a number occasions and you are right, it is very dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They will be Just Eat or Uber Eats doing deliveries. Deliveroo do too, but I think they are only on bikes? None of them will be employed by McDonalds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Has to be an road traffic enforcement issue so therefore the gardaí’s responsibility to sort out……can’t see them getting too excited about this though, doubt it’s too high on their agenda until of course there is a serious accident or fatality……then it will become everybody else’s fault apart from the idiotic parking/manoeuvres of the driver/drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Theres one lime green golf thats always trynna squeeze into the last space or has on a few occassions tried to, leaving its arse stickin out conciderably on the road, (as im heading in town directiion)

To be honest its a tricky area and its regulation is a bit questionable, if youve a crash with one of those drivers the insurance cover wud be questionable as i can guarantee you most dont tell their insurance companies they are doing deliveries, if they crash into and its investigated insurance companies might not pay out, its a tricky one alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

They're mostly foreign nationals & where they got a licence from if they even have one at all I'll never know! I had a lad at my door last week with a delivery that I never ordered & not a word of English!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

That old chestnut. On a slow day just bring a meal to some random slob's house and hope the sheer coincidence and delicious smells seduce him into paying for it.

That lad will be back to your door every 2nd day, with a new 'surprise' meal

Well i think that whole area isnt regulated enough, like they are getting paid cash, is this their main form of income?i doubt it, are they claiming benefits also? quite possible. have they informed their insurance company they use the car for fast food deliveries almost guaranteed no.

I think this whole area needs to be scrutinised and regulated more theres way too much self regulation going on.

Aren't these paid for in advance through the app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

What is your problem with with foreigners? Your post history is full of attacks on non-nationals, migrants etc. I've never read so much shite in my life reading yor posts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What does their nationality got to do with it? Are we seriously suggesting as some of them weren't born here, they may not have valid drivers licenses?

It's always been a case a lot of people from other countries are happy to do the work that the companies are unable to fulfil.

All above board and legal.

i didnt mean for this to turm into a them and us thread, ive just noticed the amount of cars or increase of in that area, but i do think it needs to be better regulated for a few reasons.

I wud question cash in hand being above board and legal, i wud say that the onus is on the drivers to declare that income as it would effect any other claims or payments, The fact that insurance is also most likely ignored by the companies that hire them. its all good till one of them crash into you and they are asked where wer you going and wat wer you doing at the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The ner do wells go through the whole site and try to spread their racist agenda as if their failure in life is everyone's fault but their own.

Just put them on ignore. With no oxygen they go away

I contacted McDonalds once about the fact that various delivery drivers were more or less permanently blocking the disability bays in their carpark.

In a nutshell, McDs reply was "it's not our problem".

Good luck getting McDs to do anything about it.

I wud say they would probably say the same about delivery drivers from an external company.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

how do you know they get cash in hand? every delivery on these just eat type apps have added fees for delivery that goes to them. any cash in hand would be a tip. do you have the same problem with waiting staff getting cash in hand then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I wouldn't be so sure about the "All above board and legal" part.

There's a big issue with the Just-Eat/Deliveroo/UberEats model that most drivers are only operating on their personal motor insurance and are covered for domestic & leisure driving only. The rates that these drivers are being paid are far too low for them to be able to afford commercial insurance that would cover delivery services.

Ok maybe not cash in hand on all occasions but so what if they get 60 euro per shift and its paid by revolut or straight into their bank accounts, fact is nobody is surviving in this economy on that money, and yes lets call a spade a spade here most of the drivers are foreign workers so i bet the money is not being declared and in the interest of balance, I'm sure there are plenty of Irish delivery drivers doing it too, but there are way too many variables here, payments being pocketed and not being declared, and the issue of motor insurance, guaranteed most of those drivers aren't declaring they are doing deliveries to their insurance provider.

Why do tax payers and i mean tax payers of PRSI and tax pays of motor tax think ah leave them off?

The whole area needs better regulation and to look at this area and think ah no its fine there's no need is foolish on so many levels

People think "leave them off" because they like getting their takeaway delivered on the cheap.

There's significant issues around the legalities of the deliveroo/ubereats model - but using it to have a pop off "dem foreigners" reeks of an agenda.

Any gig-type jobs such as these are likely to be cutting corners on laws and regulations, and often under-declaring their incomes - whether Irish or not. It's the nature of the type of job.

Ultimately - people would be more outraged if there was a swift crackdown on the food delivery industry with enforcement of regulations and tax-compliance, and the cost of getting food delivered suddenly doubled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

So you're willing to vouch for each individual driver?

I've no issue with anyone coming to this country & working legitimately but whatt checks

if any have been put in place by their employer or company availing of their services?

I'm quite sure that if you or I were in France or Italy to have some familiarity with the language

would be a prerequisite! It would only cause long term damage to customer relations with

McDonalds, not that I give a hoot about their presence in this country! I tried to assist

the guy but he didn't understand. It was probably down to the white sheet that I was wearing!

That's some impressive strawmanning right there - who claimed anything about "vouching" for drivers.

These drivers don't have an employer - they're all independent contractors, bidding based on lowest cost and nothing else.

Lowest cost is the only thing that customers are demanding, so there's no incentive for McDonalds or anyone else to change

Well id like to make it clear, I'm not having a go at them foreigners as you stated, I'm having a pop at them regulations or lack of, and yes there have always been delivery drivers but we all have to admit that this area has seen an explosion of workers doing deliveries now and its not being regulated at the same pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭dzilla

well whatever about them blocking up the road and the layby and Macdonalds saying it is out of their hands, surely Macdonalds can patsy up a suitable waiting area for them. If you go in the door they have the whole area blocked up loitering at the main entrance. The space is tight enough as it is. This isnt just a pet peeve I have with macdonalds there is plenty of restaurants in town doing sit-down and take-away menus that allow the delivery drivers wait amongst the people dining in.

And yes this is a first-world problem.

Sorry are you saying they bid for each delivery job based on lowest costs? even more reason for them not to be properly insured, I mean that is something to be very concerned about if its true and all the more reason for regulation, surely there is some form of working acts being broken here?

I think alot of people rush to make accusations of racism and to beat down someone's legitimate concerns about certain issues which is very low brow for a counter arguement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

My first thought would be :

Who the fcuk would get McDonalds food delivered ?!?!?!?!? 😣

If you eat it in the place , or straight after in your car from the drive through, it is barely warm at best, so how could you eat that stuff cold when it gets to you !!?!?!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

very true, I have never got it delivered but now that you mention it goes cold very fast

• Advertisement

Home microwaves have existed for nearly 70 years.

Not that I'd be getting McDonald's home delivery either.

Advertisement