Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi-Fi Calling vs paying for installing a 4G signal booster network

Options
  • 11-04-2023 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Evening folks,

My wife and I are currently building a house on a site that used to be a quarry, which has resulted in really poor cellular signal on the site. We can rarely make or receive a call or a text on 4G when we're on site, which is a problem because my wife has a work smartphone and needs to be on call most weekends.

I've been looking into two potential solutions to this problem: a physical network of 4G signal booster devices throughout the house, or using the "Wi-Fi calling" services provided by my Eir/Vodafone/Three etc, which would allow us to make and receive calls over Wi-Fi rather than relying on 4G

I was talking to a Saorview installer today who also does signal booster jobs - and he reckoned that installing 3-4 signal booster/repeater devices around the house, connected to a satellite/aerial device on the roof would cost between €3000 and €4000. This would mean good 4G converge inside and outside the house, but is obviously expensive and would mean at least a week's delay in plasterboarding etc while the installer orders the components and finds suitable pathways for the cables.

The Wi-Fi calling option, on the other hand (which I only heard of today), seems to be an add-on service (The Saorview told me that Vodafone provides it, but I found out today that Three also does it) that would allow us to make and receives calls/texts anywhere in the house/garden that is covered by the Wi-Fi network, even if there's no regular phone signal coverage. From what I can tell, Vodafone and Three seem to provide the option as a free extra (not sure about Eir or others).

Personally, I'm leaning towards the Wi-Fi calling options because of the zero cost, and also because we have a really well-planned out, solid Wi-Fi network inside and outside (Wi-Fi access points all over the place :D ). The downsides I can think of is

1) We'd probably be be stuck using the same provider for the main home broadband connection as we go with for Wi-Fi Calling, so no mixing and matching

2) More importantly, I have zero idea of how well Wi-Fi Calling actually works compared to a physical network on 4G signal boosters in the house; would appreciate any input on the problem.

Any thoughts? Have anyone here been in a similar situation and tried either of these solutions? Would you recommend one over the other, or have any other suggestions for improving cellular signal in a poor coverage area?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Your leaning towards WiFi Calling instead of mobile boosters makes total sense. Boosters are an outdated technology now that WiFi Calling is available, and the costs you have been quoted for boosters do not make sense. WiFi calling works perfectly well providing that you invest in good WiFi coverage and have a good Broadband provider. Since you are building a new house and you have to provide WiFi for everything else, you might as well use if for your mobile voice and text services. Many people do not have "solid" WiFi networks within their homes, and this can give rise to reports of poor performance. Your WiFi access points need to support "roaming" between access points with seamless handover as mobile devices wander from one access point to the next. Ubiquiti Unifi is a good make of WiFi APs, and they also have the advantage that they can be powered over Ethernet cabling using POE, so you don't need to provide separate power cables at each AP. When you have solid WiFi, WiFi calling performs as good or better than 3G Voice and probably consistently better than 4G/5G voice. It also supports HD Voice. You have complete control over your mobile coverage in the home, and if you find a dodgy area you can fix it yourself - you are not at the mercy of the mobile providers.

Regarding the networks - Eir (and their economy brand GoMo) are the only provider to fully support WiFi calling. Their service supports SMS & use while roaming (useful to avoid roaming charges - particularly useful outside the EU). They also support seamless handover to Voice over 4G/5G when you leave or enter the house. I have been using Eir's WiFi calling since they launched it in 2017, and it is very reliable. Vodafone launched a limited service in 2019, but it still doesn't support SMS or use while roaming. Three launched a joke of a service late in 2022, and it still doesn't even support iPhones.

You will need to ensure that your handsets support your network specific WiFi calling service. The best way to ensure this is to purchase your handset directly from your provider. If you are porting your handset from a different provider, check that it is unlocked and that your new provider supports WiFi calling on this specific handset.

Regarding your question about having to use the same Broadband and mobile providers - this is not actually necessary. WiFi calling will work on any reliable WiFi service, and you can use it when away from home on other WiFi. However, you may be able to get better bundled pricing by taking your Broadband and mobile from the same provider. (eg eir allow you to add 5G unlimited mobile handsets to a bundled plan for €9.99pm, which is probably the best deal you will get).

That Saorview installer is either not well informed or trying to make a killing installing boosters for €3,000-€4,000! Ignore him.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭RobiePAX

Definitely try WiFi Calling first. You said it yourself it's a free solution. So you are not losing anything by trying it first before throwing out few grand. My mother lives in the area where all mobile providers are awful. Thankfully she can get Fibre there. So she can make and receive calls through WiFi Calling.

You need to have:

1. Good WiFi connection ideally Fibre.

2. Good connection to your router. You may need WiFi extenders to make sure there are no blackspots where you lose WiFi signal.

3. Mobile plan. You need to be 100% sure your provider and plan supports WiFi Calling. As far as I know all x3 major providers support it. But not on all plans. For example Eir will give it to you only on bill pay such as 30 day rolling contract plans. They won't enable it for prepay plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

+1 for wi-fi calling.

I've Vodafone for both my business and personal phones. My business phone is older and doesn't support wi-fi calling, but my personal one does. Even though I have reasonable mobile coverage, the difference in call quality is very noticeable.

I'm on Starlink for my broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

First off if WiFi works for you go for it. It's been well covered by the lads above.

My own experience is with mobile repeaters so I will comment on them specifically.

First thing is to get the terminology correct, what you're looking for is a mobile signal repeater not a mobile signal booster, similar but different. Boosters are associated with cheap, illegal far-east imports that do not meet European regs. We have had experience of these prior to the legalisation of mobile repeaters. If someone wants to sell you or install a mobile signal booster walk away because they could end up being confiscated if it causes interference to the mobile networks.

List of outlets that sell illegal boosters - Non-Compliant-Supplier_Installer_List-1.pdf (comreg.ie)

I disagree with the comment it's outdated technology. It is recently legalised and current technology that provides mobile signal coverage indoors as premises become more RF shielded by energy efficient insulation and windows etc. Ireland was one step ahead of the UK when both countries legalised mobile repeaters by allowing multi-operator repeaters, it took the UK a further 2-3 years to upgrade their legislation to allow this.

I and some of my siblings use mobile repeaters, purchased and installed ourselves.

The advantage for us using a repeater is it provides a hassle free multi-operator multi-user mobile signal inside the house for calls, SMS and data, available to anyone with a mobile phone in the house or visiting the house without the need for wifi passwords, wifi calling enabled phones.

Ireland has its own mobile repeater manufacturer, based in Waterford, Stelladoradus

Regarding the installer quote, i would ask specifically what he's installing, the type and manufacturer of the equipment. A mobile repeater not a mobile booster. I was told of an installation in a premises in Dublin that was fitted with the cheap booster equipment which ended up having to be replaced with legal equipment because of network interference.

You say the installer "reckoned that installing 3-4 signal booster/repeater devices around the house, connected to a satellite/aerial device on the roof would cost between €3000 and €4000". In a large premises only a single repeater is required, it's the specific type, number of internal antenna, cabling and single external yagi antenna that adds to the cost.

Stelladoradus mobile repeaters come in two types, a domestic single internal antenna port type and office 4 internal antenna port type. The antenna ports can be further split to add more internal antenna.

Check-out Comreg's mobile repeater info webpage here - Mobile Phone Repeaters | Commission for Communications Regulation (comreg.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

100% on the above re: WiFi calling.

As outlined already, only Eir/GoMo have what I'd consider a fully functioning WiFi Calling implementation, where calls will pass seamlessly to/from the 4G/5G network and WiFi as you enter or leave WiFi network coverage, and they're also the only network to support SMS over WiFi Calling (although there are mixed reports of texts still not arriving on WiFi Calling).

Neither Vodafone or Three support SMS over WiFi Calling, so while calls come through, texts won't unless you also have mobile signal. Also, frustratingly, they way both configure the carrier files on various handsets (iPhone and Google Pixels at least), the phone will prefer a mobile signal, however weak, over using WiFi calling. So, while you may have a perfectly adequate WiFi connection, if the phone can sniff even a hint of a mobile signal it will prefer that whether or not that's usable.

As a result, a lot of inbound calls will still go straight to your voicemail because the signal is too poor. Even worse, if you do start a WiFi call without mobile signal if the phone latches on to any sort of sniff of a mobile signal, it instantly flips over to that and the call will immediately drop.

(Now, Vodafone do appear to have tweaked that somewhat at least on iPhones as part of the iOS 16.4 update, so a WiFi call will stay on WiFi even if the phone can pick up a network signal, but Three is still the same on the latest 16.4.1 update and will latch onto the mobile network for dear life)

To sum up my own experience in a house with marginal signal:

• WiFi Calling on Eir is a vast improvement and you can make/take calls and texts and come and go seamlessly without even thinking about it
    • with both Three and Vodafone's WiFi Calling setup there is no point in me starting a call in some parts of the house with marginal signal, there is no point in me answering a call if I'm on WiFi Calling and heading out the door nor can I get out of the car and go into the house if I'm on a call without that call dropping
    • I have Ubiquiti kit throughout the house and calls will seamlessly pass between the various access points on all networks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

@KildareP Also, frustratingly, they way both configure the carrier files on various handsets (iPhone and Google Pixels at least), the phone will prefer a mobile signal, however weak, over using WiFi calling. So, while you may have a perfectly adequate WiFi connection, if the phone can sniff even a hint of a mobile signal it will prefer that whether or not that's usable.

The 4G Vodafone signal at my desk is usually three to four bars out of five and anytime I make or take a call on my personal phone, the quality is superb ... almost ISDN-like in quality. This is on a Pixel device.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

On Samsung Galaxy and OnePlus devices you can set Wifi as the preferred option. I would think it would be the same on Pixels?

When you have good signal there is no issue. Call quality on 4G VoLTE and WiFi calling should be identical, all being equal.

It's when the signal is marginal and can flip-flop between one bar and No Service that issue arise.

With Vodafone* and Three they have configured their carrier file settings so that once the phone sees any sort of mobile network signal whatsoever, it should use that instead of WiFi calling, even when the signal is too poor to actually be usable.

*I've been testing Vodafone this afternoon on an iPhone and they definitely have improved it on iOS recently, it will now stay on WiFi Calling even when there is very good mobile network signal is available. It never used to do this. I'll try and see can it hand between 4G VoLTE and WiFi calling later as that would make it near seamless, like Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭rhinosaurious

My wifi calling was enabled itself by Vodafone the other day, so clear. I’m curious to see if it does a seamless transition when you leave the house so let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭butwhynot

I'm with Three and my phone seems to prefer Wifi calling. Yesterday I was in an area with full signal and it stayed on Wifi calling the whole time. When transferring from Wifi to 4G it did cut out for 2 seconds. Though it did take a week to get it enabled on my account, so I wouldn't say it's seamless. And it doesn't support SMS yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I've no experience with Wi-Fi calling (my plan doesn't offer it) but I'm curious about battery life with it. If you have a weak mobile signal it can kill your battery. Does enabling Wi-Fi calling prevent this or would the phone still be trying to connect to the mobile network too?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

This is an interesting question, and yet another reason for using WiFi Calling! If WiFi Calling is properly implemented, it gives priority to WiFi calling over mobile calling. This prevents the weak mobile signal causing the battery to die. The Eir implementation is done this way, so it would solve the problem for you. You can even switch into airplane mode, and switch back on WiFi only and the phone still works! (This is useful if you are outside of EU and want to avoid any possibility of accidentally incurring roaming charges). I have heard varying reports that the Vodafone implementation gives priority to mobile which would likely to continue to drain your battery. I'm not sure if they have changed this? Also - Vodafone don't offer text over WiFi so your phone might keep draining the battery just to keep a mobile channel open for text.

My own iPhone now seems to stay on WiFi Calling with Three even with full network signal since 16.4.1.

Calls also now handover nicely from WiFi Calling to 4G/VoLTE, but not the other way around.

Yes, it will go from WiFi Calling to VoLTE nearly all of the time. Maybe a second or two of a dropout.

It has still dropped the call the odd time though but I think that's because the phone may have been on 2G/3G instead of 4G so a drop is to be expected.

Hopefully with them switching off 3G altogether later this year, I'll only ever get a 4G signal and it should be completely seamless then.

Advertisement