Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Don't get fixated on the payout. That is what Trump and posters like MisterAnarchy want as they the conversation revolves around the size of the payout rather than the actual reality of what happened.

I don't know anything about Dominions financial position and the financial impact that this lie may have on their future business, but that is for them to calculate. What this case is showing is the level of deceit and the way that Fox News knowingly spread lies and disinformation in order to subvert democracy and the basis of them wanted Trump to win.

And it shows that Trump, although every critical thinking person already knew this, has been knowingly lying the entire time and continues to use this lie to scam funds from his supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I cant see dominion simply settling for a payout, there will have to be an apology and possibly scalps

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd agree. Dominion obviously put as big a figure on it as could be considered practical, but it's probably unlikely they'd ever get such a figure. You sue for as much as possible, and get awarded as much as you can prove. They'd likely get far more than the $80m they may have been worth a few years ago. They're suing for the huge reputational damage done to the company.

Ultimately though, considering Fox News' defense is centered on freedom of the press and the First Amendment, a win by Dominion regardless of the actual financial payout would substantially prove that Fox News acted with purposeful intent beyond what could be considered reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Dominion are a company, not a person, and it will do (or the board will do) what is best economically for the company.

If enough money is offered, and on a cold factual basis it makes sense to take it, it will be accepted.

I see what you are saying but the reason they took the case was primarily to repair the reputational damage done to them, a payout by itself doesn't do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I think, I mean it's possible, ok then, it's very likely...

That Ali is being painted into a corner by MAGA loons and they decided to wreck his "reputation" before he follows through on the threat he implies in the retweeted screen grab below.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Oh I totally understand that.

The key victory for Dominion will be the vindication of their companies reputation etc.

But the size of the payout is where Fox will feel the pain - They may lose more advertisers as a result of this and might even lose a few viewers but having to pay out a large sum of cash will hurt them more.

My inquiry was whether or not they might be able to wriggle out of the costs because of some statute limiting the amount payable - I know that in one of the Alex Jones cases despite the Jury awarding a very large sum against him , the actual payout will be much much smaller because the law in that state provides for a maximum penalty in libel cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

Apparently a problem here is the Dominion may want Fox to admit they were at fault to clear their own reputation - but by doing so Fox would be opening themselves up to even more legal cases from investors, who would taking an indirect loss for any payment made by Fox to Dominion. Fox will be looking for a confidential settlement where they don't really have to admit any wrongdoing, but Dominion, for reputational reasons, need the admission.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So Court is is then , because a private pay-out doesn't really get Dominion what it needs or wants I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I see Hires The Best People is lashing out at former chief of staff Mick Mulvaney for being a “born loser” 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The thing is he's still using the big lie. You'd think that, at this point, anyone with even an ounce of honour would have dropped it by now. But Trump still continues to spread a blatant lie about a "stolen election". He probably can't believe how fucking stupid his supporters are himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

The only problem with this as I see it.

Yes dominion are looking for the reputational repair of fox admitting they lied and there was nothing wrong with the Dominion "product".

However, if it is true that Dominion's revenue on average is 18m per year and they were to receive the 1.6b they are suing for, that would be almost 90 years of revenue in a single case (a 6 week case). TBH if that was my business and I received that payout would I consider taking it in as a shareholder and running for the hills who wants the slog of working for 90 years lol

The only problem with that galvanizing approach is all he's galvanizing is an increasingly smaller echo chamber. Some of his own loyal insurrectionists have already sought deprogramming.

Dominion taking Fox to trial today, with all that evidence they were duping cultists, is not going to help him out either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Is there a dedicated thread for the Dominion/Fox case? It looks like it's going to be the main news for the next couple of months.

This'll be me!

Or they settle minutes before opening arguments and the thread is a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's mostly relevant here. The case revolves around Fox News propagating Trump's lies about the election and doing what they could to ensure Trump supporters stayed tuned to Fox, particularly after Fox were the first ones to call the election for Biden. This case will also have huge ramifications for the 2024 election, as it'll affect Fox viewers, how Fox is perceived, and they'll either be more reserved and careful with regards misinformation, or embolden them to push it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Case is going ahead. So not settled yet?

Popcorn time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its who blinks first .

Dominion might have the better hand of cards but going into a court and winning a case is never guaranteed.

Jury selection and the Judge all play factors in shaping the outcome and Judges have been known to have been bought or influenced in the past.

If Dominion were to get a few hundred million I think they would grab it, as their equipment had flaws and Fox could exploit this in court.

• Advertisement

This case isn't going to hinge on 'faulty equipment' whatsoever, lmao

Fox News is on tape, on audio, in text, knowingly peddling false election information that they knew was false.

This hinge is only going to be, whether Fox News' conduct meets the SCOTUS' Actual Malice Standard.

That's it.

So the case going ahead means whatever settlement talks the judge paused for came to nothing? That goes pretty much to proving the theory dominion dont just want a payout.

Perhaps. But his support base of idiots is still large enough to make a buck out of, which is all he's interested in in the present term. It might be a case of eventual diminishing returns over the long run, but the gains will still be quite handsome.

Another entry in the Loss column for Trump as his latest attempt at having the E Jean Carroll case delay gets thrown out.

He was trying to claim that he needed a "cooling off period" after his indictment in the Stormy Daniels because that might make him look bad with potential jurors in this case.

The Judge pretty comprehensively shot down all of his attempts.

Judge Lewis Kaplan of the Southern District of New York swiftly rejected that argument on Monday. Among other things, Kaplan observed that Trump’s situation could get even worse over time. He noted that the 2024 Republican presidential candidate “faces a number of criminal and civil investigations and litigation,” listing the Justice Department's special counsel investigations into Jan. 6, 2021, and classified documents at Mar-a-Lago, the Georgia election interference investigation, and New York Attorney General Letitia James’ civil fraud suit.

The judge also rejected Trump’s offensive comparison of the alleged facts of his pending criminal case to the alleged facts in Carroll's suit, in support of his "cooling off" request. Trump had tried to compare the allegation that he slept with Daniels (which he has denied) and the allegation that he raped Carroll (which he has denied) as both involving alleged sexual misconduct.

As Kaplan explained, there are multiple things wrong with Trump’s argument. First, the criminal case doesn’t actually turn on whether Trump had sex with Daniels, but rather whether he falsified business records in covering up the hush payment. And second, the hush money was paid to Daniels to cover up an alleged consensual affair, not rape as Carroll has alleged.

In any event, Kaplan made clear that the questioning of prospective jurors about their awareness of, as the judge put it, Trump’s “various legal troubles — past, present and perhaps future" — will ensure a fair jury for trial. “Thus,” Kaplan wrote, “the effect of granting Mr. Trump’s requested postponement would not be to take the New York State charges off the table with respect to jury selection. It would be only to postpone that discussion.”

The judge also didn’t let Trump off without noting that “at least some portion of the recent media coverage of Mr. Trump’s indictment was of his own doing,” citing the former president's statements on social media and in news conferences and interviews related to the indictment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

Lets not forget we are now in the 1 week countdown to the E Jean Carroll case.

It's crazy the number of times over the last couple of weeks Trumps legal team have tried to get the case pushed by a month or so.

Spot on judge.

Some posters will whinge that he's bought. Already seeing the seeds planted of that this morning by resident trump supporter fans.

Nobody has done more to publicize his criminal cases than Donald Trump himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Their equipment has flaws??? Pray do tell us why this wasn't produced in court before

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Dont humour them. it is completely irrelevant. Fox didnt claim their equipment was faulty. they claimed it was rigged.

Wow even marge took her cue to condemn readily-condemnable and predatory ephebophilia.

Will MAGA use Stop The Steal/Ali Alexander as a political scapegoat now, a deflection from Jan 6 criticism? Nevermind MAGA's vociferous defense of Alexander from the election in 2020, to yesterday...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Just holding posters to account. We all know the types who'd try and slip in a debunked claim and then run off when challenged

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement