Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I heard the KK minors have to play Offaly early on Sunday,let alone that but the venue isn’t even a county pitch it is the Kilcormac / Kiloughny ground beyond Tullamore.I know Tullamore isn’t available because of football but Birr should be available are the Offaly county board trying to pull a fast one or what?our county board seem to be too generous or just inept switched our U20 Leinster final against Wexford from Nowlan park to Carlow to accommodate TG4 and this year gave away home advantage to Antrim to play in Abbotstown. And going back a few years we agreed to play Westmeath in Mullingar in the U21 in which we were beaten, there still laughing at us up there. Anyway Ah boy I hope I’ll see you up there Sunday morning cheering on all the village boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

The word from cork is Evan Cody was playing fullback

If fogarty is on kilkenny team we have 2 chances of winning all Ireland none and none

in 3 matches this year mossy has not got a puck of the ball and he is on your team

why did we need him he playing for 5 years and you could never say he had a good game

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Agree re leaving Lawlor back in full back. He is the best option we have and the two boys either side of him would be far happier. The only problem with Padraig centre back is that he tends to travel up the field and leave that space open in the half back line. We dont have an abundance of options though. Its certainly worth trying him there. With the loss of Carey this year we havent really settled on the half back line yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

I agree with Lawlor full back. In last years all Ireland Kilkenny put Lawlor on Gillane and went 15 on 15 and pushed up on Limerick. Lawlor had a fantastic game and did not need the extra protection, he is an outstanding full back. Deegan was the big problem that day

It would probably have been a better option having Blanchfield wing back that day. Deegan started wing back and cian kenny and Conor Browne started in midfield in the final. Blanchfield will hopefully have learned a lot from the league final 2 weeks ago but our midfield is still not set so do we look to put deegan in midfield or wing forward if we put padraig on the half back line? Does Adrian Mullen stay midfield?Id prefer him there. TJ, Billy Ryan, Eoin Cody, Mossy, John Donnelly and Drennan maybe pick themselves. So its between Fogarty, Paddy Mullen and Alan Murphy for that midfield spot if Adrian is going to stay in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rochelle

He was on the ball, about to rise / control it, was about to be challenged when he collapsed...looked like a twisted ankle or knee injury...good luck to him in his recovery, fine hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

If Billy Ryan, Mossy and Donnelly (and Deegan) are deemed automatic picks, we are in trouble, because for me they are very honest players, but just a fraction off top class inter county standard. I have been a huge fan of Donnelly since I first saw him with minors, but he blows hot and cold

Winning 3 Leinsters, show these players are decent, but they have consistently come up a bit short in 2 All Ireland finals and 2 semis, so just somehow hoping they will get a bit better and help get us across the line, is wishful thinking.

But a new manager might rightly fear a hammering and an early exit for his team (and then maybe for him too), so may choose to stick rather than twist. I'd twist but I've no skin in the game, so easy for me.

The need for 2 or 3 of the current U20 forwards to nail down automatic starting spots by 2024 is vital.

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

At the moment it would be very hard to see Gearoid Dunne or Timmy Clifford nailing down a starting slot in the team. It really depends on how they go with the u20 campaign but probably getting a starting slot this year is a step too far.

Denis Walsh, Ted Dunne, Harry Shine and Cillian Hackett are a little further away at this point but they are probably the most likely candidates to be called up in the next year or 2. Ian Byrne from Glenmore was on that u20 team last year also.

What ever happened to Bill Sheehan? He played a couple of Walsh cup matches this year but seemed to disappear after that.He looked very promising a few years ago with Luke Scanlon from the village. Maybe they're seen as not being physical enough?

• Advertisement

I agree about the U20s. Leave them where they are let them mature in the next few weeks.even if they happen to win the U20 outright they would still be available to the seniors at the end of May after gaining valuable experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Bill was dropped after the Walsh Cup. He had a good day against Offaly and poor first half against Laois but Laois were rampant that first half, Gearoid Dunne capitalised on Laois's disintegration in the second half and while Bill was poor there plenty of others that weren't playing well the same half. He would have done well if he was on for that second half against Laois. He wasn't great against Wexford but again was far from the worst. Lyngs faith in his under 20's from last year meant a lot of the try-outs or lads who'd been on the edge of the panel a while got the flick.

I think Bill has great speed but was probably lacking the strength needed at the IC level. In fairness when he was in before under Cody he got a few goes in Walsh Cup and League matches but his striking wasn't up to it. He was let go and he worked very hard at his striking and while he is completely unorthodox he can score points from 50-60 yards out whereas they were dropping short, when he was in under Cody. For me the biggest asset of having Bill on the field as a forward is his work rate and speed to dispossess lads when he losses a tussle. A big defender might win the ball over him or physically push him out of the way but he will rarely get a clean strike away as Bill is on his heels hooking and tackling and when the ball goes to ground, he invariably wins it and can go on the attack again and is very effective at club level.

In fairness to bill it’s in this weather hard pitches dry ball he very effective

when are we going to see the midfielder from shamrocks Corcoran or is he injured he best midfielder in kilkenny last year shamrocks supporters will say he

big part of there success over last few years

I think a good lot of this U20 crop probably have a good senior future ahead of them but they don't all have to make it next year or this year or even the next 3-4 years. It can take a good while to figure out senior hurling for young lads and they need to mature and develop as men and hurlers. If their ready great, if their not there's little point rushing them and destroying their confidence which they might never recover from.

In fairness to Killian Doyle he played really well for the U20's the last day after the debacle of being played to line out against Tipp. I would probably have had him as my Man of the Match ahead of Drennan.

I'm a big Drennan fan but again I'm not sure he's ready for the top level of senior yet. He has struggled from play against Tipp, Waterford, Cork and Limerick. It's not all his fault other than the Cork game those around him weren't great either any of those days. His biggest weakness is his lack of work rate when KK have lost the ball, he is very slow to chase a man in possession and his tackling is abysmal. He's chasing and tackling was non existent at the start of the league, he's at least making a bit of an effort at it now but he really needs to up this, to be worth a place in the starting team.

Once TJ is back we don't need Drennan for free taking and if he's not working off the ball and he can't contribute from play against the top teams he's a luxury that we can't afford in the latter end of the Championship. This is not to say I don't like him I think he's supremely talented and is going to be a top hurler for us for the next decade plus but I wouldn't be relying on him for championship this year which a lot of people are. I think physically he's struggling against the best, which is fair enough as he's so young yet but he's also struggling a bit when the intensity ratchets up and that might just be he hasn't had enough conditioning yet and I think he will be much better next year and beyond from open play.

It's not meant too be a criticism just a reality check.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭KK36

Throw in Niall Brassil, Shane Walsh, James Bergin, Sean Morrissey as well.

From what I've heard, hurling wise Corcoran and P Mullen are flying it but it's the conditioning level they were finding it hard to get to the required level for inter county midfield which is very high. They might not play a huge roll this year if they can't get to the level but fingers crossed they might by the summer. I think R Corcoran has been the best midfielder in the county for the last 3 or 4 years. Paddy since he has started to take it more seriously has the potential to be a beast it just might be from the bench this year for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Entirely agree. I don't think having B Drennan on board with the seniors will matter as to the outcome of most of our upcoming matches. He'd be a huge benefit to the under 20s, as we all realise.

Limerick are on course for a four in a row. Like all good teams, their reign will come to an end and it's then we need to be ready to compete with the next top team. I'd say Lyng is looking at it that way too. He's preparing for the future. Meanwhile, let all those teams who backed off facing Limerick in the League Final, face up to them in the coming weeks. No more shying away.

Post edited by Grats on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Mossy and deegan got a lot of game time under Brian Cody and you could put Billy Ryan in that category. Donnelly was more of a a sub.

Weather we like it or not a couple of these lads will start most matches this year. We haven't got a huge panel to pick from. No matter what some lads say here Carey,Browne and Leahy were experienced squad players.

We all agree a few of our players should of taken another step by now and be more consistent I'm hoping the new management will be quicker to put the arm around the shoulder. Players from different counties like David Fitzgerald of clare and Tom monaghan of galway have being on the panel a few years but took their game to another level last year.

I do agree with ya that we need to get as many lads from this crop of u20s. If we have a full squad available and got a bit of luck we could get a good run again. The few lads might not be ready this year for senior but if we were to win the all Ireland u20 them returning to the senior would surely be a help. We definitely got a kick from the all Ireland win last year.

I still think we will have to have a bit of patience with drennan. He was a only a freshers hurler last year.He is a unbelievable free taker but he has good vision and isn't greedy. He has a lot to learn and this was highlighted in Barry Nash goal. He will learn from all these big days and he will know this part of the game is as important and he has to improve in this area.He has made a huge effort already and has filled out alot since last year.ive no doubt he will up his workrate when he hasnt the ball.

I'd expect more or less the same players as last year and a few of them in different positions. Kk will want to try go for the jugular and finish this game early because the longer it goes on the harder it could get.They gave us enough of it last year in the first half and tj was sprung at half time. Joe fortune is a good manager but hard to see anything other than a kk victory.

Someone asked above about a few players. Sean Morrissey isn't on the panel and Bill Sheehan,James bergin and brassil aren't on the panel. Shane walsh has being in and out and Is probably better suited to the harder ground.He has being very consistent at club level the last few years but is finding the step up difficult at the moment.Hopefully he might get a run this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Its hard to keep up with rules regulations at this stage !

Clare challenging a decision to amend a motion ........ 😣 🤯

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

I heard Cyril Farrell saying today that Tiernan picked up Achilles tendon injury. He will be a huge loss to galway u20.

Billy drennan picked up a leg injury and was in a boot earlier in the week. I don't know how serious it is

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Hope it's precautionary and nothing serious. He'd be a big loss for the U20's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭robwen

Back of the Indo today by Michael Verney

Kilkenny blow as Drennan suffers leg injury that could end his summer

FEARS are growing that Kilkenny hotshot Billy Drennan could face a spell on the sidelines as it is understood that he suffered a leg injury in recent days.

Kilkenny boss Derek Lyng was expected to hand Drennan his Kilkenny senior championship debut against Westmeath in Saturday's Leinster clash after he excelled in their league campaign.

The Galmoy ace clocked a whopping 2-70 (51f, 6 '65, 1-0 pen) in his debut NHL season to be crowned the top scorer in Division 1 but he could miss out on championship action if reports coming from Noreside are confirmed.

Drennan, who was integral to Kilkenny's All-Ireland U-20 success last year under Lyng, fired 2-12 in Kilkenny's Leinster U-20 victory over Galway last Saturday but he could now miss out.

He's out for a few weeks with a ankle injury. Huge loss for the 20s.

Am I right in saying teams have to submitted by Thursday and teams will be announced the following day?

ye I think so , all these changes are usually brought in because of that eejit Davy Fitz instead of calling him to order everybody must suffer another stupid rule was the manager confined in a perimeter on the sideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

No Paddy Deegan for tomorrows game did he pick up an injury last weekend? Surprised to see Clifford starting thought they would have left him with the U-20's.

Murphy,

Butler, Lawlor, T Walsh

Blanchfield, R Reid, P Walsh

D Corcoran, P Mullen

Clifford, A Mullen, Donnelly

Ryan, TJ, Cody

It looks like lyng was on here looking for a bit of advice that's why Fogarty and deegan aren't playing or maybe a couple of lads here have gone in as selectors.

Mossy loses out but really Billy Ryan,Donnelly or Cody could have no complaints. Theres alot of players at the same level. Lawlor gone back to 3 as expected and padriag out to the half back line. Another new midfield pairing but it's good to see Paddy mullen getting a run.

I suppose the 20s isn't knockout yet hopefully they will go back when it's knockout and hopefully drennan will be recovered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Not sure what all the worrying about the U20s is for. The Senior team is the top team and if a lad is good enough he should be playing with seniors as priority. Also it means another player will be getting the chance to develop with the 20s.

Advertisement