Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snus

• 17-04-2023 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭

It's the first I've heard about this although I have been off the usual social media sites for a while.

They are little tobacco parcels that players put under their gums to help with nerves and anxiety.

It comes from Sweden and is apparently rampant in football. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned on MNF or the Crouch podcast...I think it will start to get more attention soon.

Death by Snus Snus?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm a big fan of snus. I was introduced to it by Finnish friends of mine. I actually have a tin of it with me in work as I type.

I like smoking but can't stand the smell of it sticking to my clothes or the long-term health effects. I used to smoke a pack a day but have cut back to social smoking. Whenever I've been to Sweden, Norway or Finland, I get some. You can now get it in tobacconists in the Costa del Sol ,too.

Its a little pouch that you put on your gums and the saliva releases the tobacco. Ruins your teeth and mouth cancer is likely too. Stings quite a bit at first but you get used to it. Its quite strong at first and can leave you light-headed, even if you're a regular smoker.

Wikipedia says Jamie Vardy uses it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I think the extent of their use became apparent last year when Aston Villa's Player Fines list was leaked and their use in the squad was prevalent enough to warrant its own associated fine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's not tobacco "snus" which is banned in most countries outside the Nordics. It's a pouch that contains nicotine but no tobacco and is used in the same way in that it is stored under the gum and releases nicotine into the bloodstream. It believe it's use is prevalent among footballers.

My own opinion is that it is a legal substance and footballers are well educated on the pros and cons of using these nicotine products. Obviously they get the benefit of nicotine high, increased energy etc. but at the same time understand the carcinogenic and other health risks.

At the end of the day they are adults and can make their own informed choices on whether to use or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I suppose it's a bit like chewing Tobacco in the states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

How are players allowed to take something that's illegal? A quick Google says it's illegal to buy or sell the stuff in the UK but ok to take it but someone bought it. Not that it bothers me if they do take it just curious

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

See my post above, they are taking a tobacco free "snus".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Wonder how this list has changed since Unai came in, the worst player jersey being one thing I'd imagine is gone.

Yeah really opens up the door for bullying and building resentment within the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Not necessarily, Ireland had it for years with the I had a Macedonia training bib. It can focus players into doing better in training. Worked in a job that had both teams competing with a reward/forfeit prize every so often and results always went up as nobody wanted to be on the loosing side!

Advertisement