Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Well that was the worst one in awhile, in St. James and doing a few deliveries around town. Inside of 500m in St. James I had 3 people turn across me in a fashion I had to hard stop. First guy, well into his latter years just had a look in his eyes that said he regretted stopping when I roared as he turned right in front of me. 100m later a young lad turned right in front of me, didn't even notice me yell at him, then 100m later another car just pulled out right in front of me.

Anyway, a ride through Dublin's fair city and several more near misses I just gave up on etiquette and done whatever was safest for me. F**k that city and cycling in it.

Just to be clear, very tiny majority of drivers were absolute ****s but when you have a few hundred, a small percentage is still a decent number.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭TheHouseIRL

Tell me again how it's cyclists who break red lights that are the real danger?

I could practically smell the Brut coming off this guy through the glass. He gave me a little tongue waggle as he passed and all, the old scamp.

Gotta love the detail you can capture on these new GoPros though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

That junction is 200m from my house on the other side of the Luas bridge. Between that junction and the lower cross roads at Lwr Kilmacud Rd, I could earn a daily living off it if I had 10c for the cars that run the red lights.

My kids all walk these junctions to and from school each day and it is just scary what goes on. Usually the one you captured is that they come down from the Beacon and turn right on the red - they think Green arrow straight and a Red for right is good to go! - missing the fact the Green man may be on for pedestrians.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Can you imagine how much the council or gardai could make with RLJ cameras or yellow box cameras at that junction, it is insane. Also all the ones who park on the pedestrian crossing so walkers, have to detour around them, often with not enough space between the cars in front or behind to squeeze through easily/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

They can't even enforce traffic watch, they seem to do everything they can to not actually do their jobs. There's no hope if we ever get a portal for uploading videos. Absolutely no reason why we can't take a photo of a car blocking the footpath and result in a guaranteed fine. Sure didn't somewhere in New York open a portal where you get part of the fine for submitting stuff? Imagine. Pretty sure there was a camera in Dublin city centre that was unused for several years because the council and Gardai couldn't decide who was in charge of it. If there was fixed speed cameras or red light cameras it would be the same story as traffic watch.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I imagine in the advent of modern technology where you can't believe everything you see, there is a risk that people will upload falsified images.

What I can't understand is why there isn't enforcement when the resulting fines would more than cover the salary of a guard doing that job. What is the obstacle here? It honestly boggles the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Cars that are turning don't need to obey the rules of the road from my experience. This is facilitated by those boxes they put after the lights between turns sometimes. Suit drivers but also make them think that once traffic stops the normal rules don't apply and the new rule is that they can turn whenever suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Was the red light camera at Blackhall place, was put in because it’s one of the most commonly jumped red lights and constant collisions with the luas because of it.

They put it in around 2010, and for the first 164 days it detected 800 and something red light jumps. And then it’s sat idle and unused since 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

If they ever bring in here that lark of getting paid part of the fine for submitting, I'm chucking in my day job for a new career as a "squeal".

Six solid months reporting **** driver behavior in Dublin and I should be able to comfortably retire to the Bahamas on the proceeds 😀

I'm guessing the fine money can't pay staff? There must be a paperwork issue, I don't believe smaller speeding offences go to court. If they stood in hot spots they'd clean up. With the laser gun they don't need to pull people over, surely they can log tenfold the amount of offences.

If they stood somewhere like an overpass on the N4 or M50 they'd clean up in just 30 minutes. I drive them daily using cruise control and the majority of traffic will drive by as if I was doing 10-20 under the limit. Regardless of the time, weather or volume of traffic.

Speeding has become so normalised in the last year or so. If I'm the only car on a stretch of road a queue will eventually form behind me because I'm doing the speed limit. People see a gap in front so they drive faster until they get behind the next car. If there's a bus lane on a 50-60 road there's a guarantee I'm getting undertaken because there's a gap in front of me and the person doesn't understand why I'm not driving faster. I had someone behind me throw up their hands because I wasn't driving faster when there was nobody in front of me. All doing the speed limit. It's just too casual these days and nothing is being done about it. I genuinely don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it'd pay the staff if they had them. the garda siochana is understaffed, and i believe is still shrinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I recently got flipped the bird by a local chap whilst driving my young daughter somewhere.

My crime ? Maintaining 60kph along a 2.6km stretch of narrow local country road with a 60kph limit, despite this chaps best attempts to push me to speed by driving like a maniac right in my back window the whole time.

An "accident" on this road is reported on our community whatsapp group every month or two, usually blamed on the road itself (there's a "bad" bend apparently). With fools like this occupying our roads I dont think the road is the big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Apparently you don't need to obey the speedometer in your car as it always understates the speed by about 10%. So you should have been driving 66kmph. And as its unlikely that you'll get done for speeding if only 5% over the speed limit you should have tagged on an extra few kmph. Let's call it an even 70kmph. That's what you should have been doing to avoid the ire of the really important people who are always in a mad rush to get to their really important appointments.

I just had, for the second day in a row, a car pass me in the extra-wide, solid white line, cycle lane on St Stephens Green South. All so he could undertake about 15 cars who were driving in the correct lane. But of course it's cyclists and the Greens who are the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I don't know how accurate that 10% rule is as not everyone's odometer is the same and your tyre pressure can even affect the speed shown. I usually use my Google Maps app which gives your current speed and allow about an extra 3kmph for Gardaí speed gun tolerances which I hear can be disputed in court.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's not that the speedo *always* understimates speed, it's that it's *allowed* to, within parameters.

the regs are that the speed indicated must be within the actual speed, and (110% of actual speed +10kmh)

so for example, for an actual speed of 30, it must indicate between 30 and 43km/h.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think your maths is out a little there MB (but your point is correct)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I think it all goes to the root of why speeding is seen as socially acceptable. Sure how is anyone to know what speed they're actually doing? And if nobody knows, shur who gives a s**t. "How dare you take issue with my driving, I'm not doing 110kmph, I'm doing 100 and you're doing 90" goes the conversation between two people with different notions of how to stick to the same speed limit.

It also probably goes to the root of why there is so little effort by the Gardai/ State to punish speeding drivers.

Just back from a walk to get a coffee to see a driver use the contra flow bus/ cycle lane to overtake stationary traffic from the pedestrian lights at Institute of Education on Leeson St all the way down to the St Stephens Green crossroads - ostensibly to use the right turn 'lane' there, only for him to cut back in at the very last minute to continue straight on. Nobody bats an eyelid. It's all just so blasé.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

I'd just cycled with my kids to school morning and left them 30 seconds before this https://streamable.com/fx6w4g . I caught up with him at the lights and he was oblivious to how close he passed me or even where he passed me. I thought the truck was close enough and never expected a trailer! For reference, he has just driven through Maynooth which has a supposed HGV ban past a primary school to get to the Dunboyne road via the shortest route possible.

• Advertisement

is the ban enforceable? as in, can you report him to the council for violating the ban, and would they have any powers or inclination to do anything anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

I doubt it has ever been enforced and all he has to do is say he's making a delivery and is exempt, its a ban on paper nothing more, the fact a HGV driver was oblivious to it says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Also mismatching number plate on the trailer which is also supposed to be an offense, guidelines and legislation for everything but of no use when nothing is enforced.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

You should report, with luck you'll get a a decent Guard. The mismatched reg plates is a slam dunk anyway, the pass was obviously horrendous.

I just don't understand how the majority of people passing cyclists can't just fully move over to the other side of the road regardless of what the 'safe' distance is. Costs you nothing you'd be moving over anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Marginal and I wouldn't have bothered reporting it but then again we don't have an online portal that only takes 10mins but furthermore where action is taken on the back of such reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭DJB030244

I had nice one over the weekend . Coming back from howth towards baldoyle church I had a muppet give me a dangerous close pass . He then stops as traffic is backed up. I go by him and he’s on his phone sitting there while traffic moves off looking at the phone .

The lights turn red and I stop . He wakes up oblivious, and goes through the red lights as a family are about to cross . I looked at the father and he looked at me, both of us exasperated . In the space of a couple of minutes he gave me a close pass, messed with his phone , broke the lights and wasn’t far off wiping a family out . Absolutely no self awareness and just doesn’t give a flying F…

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Good to see that some AGS do actually do their job;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Now that is a close pass. Crist. Why do we cycle

Advertisement