Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What immediately screams "tosser" to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Exactly, married people might be happy riding the same person for years and single people like to have different partners. Fact is if a person ditched a good friend for their other half they are a Tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Okay. I kinda understand. I wouldn't, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

It happens all the time . They are too busy to be worrying about the friend that has nothing else to do but be offended by their lack of attention .

That person could be an attention seeking tosser , instead of recognising the friend is crazy in love / busy with smellies ...sorry, smallies 😁

A lot of these friends come back if they are worth anything when it calms down, and hopefully the offended one has grown up enough to accept them as they are .

The being too busy thing is a bull$hit excuse, most friends understand kids and partners can take up your time but an odd call here and there and maybe meeting for an hour or 2 some night is not the impossible task some make it out to be. If any of these kind of people ever tried to get back in contact with me after years of being glued to their partner, Id just ignore their texts/calls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I had a friend like that. I think the gf coerced him into dumping all his friends though as she didn't like him meeting people or going out when she wasn't there. I would consider it a form of abuse tbh. Coercive control is in the statute books now isn't it? Based on that I feel more sorry for him than hold it against him

• Advertisement

its very common I think. Both men and women are guilty of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Agreed. Its not a good reflection on a friendship that anyone would drop friends completely for a new relationship but I know how busy babies and family life can be. Any friend that doesn't get that is not worth the effort really.

Having said that most people try to make the effort and while relationships do change over the years things do come round eventually for those that are good enough to persevere.

Kids grow up, couples begin to be more inclusive of single or unattached friends. They should be all along I agree but it doesn't happen really due to divetging interests in those earlier years.

Its never the same but all relationships change over time, as people do, and quality of the friendship becomes more important rather than the amount of times you meet up.

You cant drop friends for a year or a few years and expect to still call them your friends. If you don't make an effort in a few years then the friendship is over. If you get caught up with your partner and kids and expect your friends to wait a few years to talk to them again, that is just selfish on your part, simple as.

I know some people might entertain a so called friend trying to make contact again after a few years but I certainly wouldn't.

People who go to those hunt balls and people who call riding around on horseback hoping an old fox gets torn apart by hounds a sport.

The hunt ball pictures are so strange, have ye ever seen them? the women are usually good looking but the men are so weird looking, freaks the lot of them, fat guys with big red faces and goofy expressions on their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

People into "the hunt" in general. Just so happens to rhyme with a certain C word. Hard men and wimmen, the lot of them. According to the IMFHA (the grand collection of Chunts) there are 41 such groups in Ireland. Would be a shame if they all fell off their horses and died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Amazing first post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Irish people who are obsessed with American politics or Donald Trump.They must have very little to be doing with their time to get invested so heavily in something that has so little impact on their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭thegame983

Just stop oil activists and those bell ends that protested the Grand National.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I'm genuinely beginning to think that Just Stop Oil are actually funded by the Oil industry in order to make environmentalists look bad and reduce sympathy for the environmental cause. That's about all their tactics have achieved so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Yeah, it is unfortunately very common.

I know quite a few in that boat, and it's actually very sad really. Because they obviously want to be a good parent and husband, so they get guilt tripped into making their entire life about the wife and kids. Wanting any other interest/hobbies/friends etc is considered selfish. People will say they entered into this lifestyle willingly, but I don't agree with that. Many women are happy in this lifestyle, particularly when the kids are very young. But for most men, it's unnatural for this to be your whole world. And yes, it is a form of spousal abuse, but obviously very difficult to prove or remedy... it's a very complicated web with years of control and psychological manipulation.

It's actually one of the things that put me off ever having kids tbh, even though I know it's not all women that behave this way. Someone very close to me, their wife changed completely once they got married and had a kid... over night she became very angry suspicious and wanted total control over the husband in every respect. It was actually shocking to witness... and the worst part was that she seemed to be getting encouragement from her female friends regarding how to keep the husband under tighter and stricter control. Almost like it was a game to them or something. 😕

Not only never having kids but never getting married for me. You cant trust that a person you are with now, will be the same in a few years, its too big of a risk in my opinion. I think smart people stay single. The biggest mugs are the people who marry someone who is showing signs of controlling behavior before the wedding, they have been warned and ignore the red flags. A friend of mine is about to marry such a person, I was going to have a chat with him about her but I know he wouldn't listen so I decided not to say anything.

I'm 99% sure she will make him cut all contact with his friends once they are married.

I wouldn't mind but he is an intelligent guy but obviously not when it comes to his love life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,532 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

People who ‘deep dive’ into reasons as to “What immediately screams tosser..’

You don’t need reasons, you don’t need to explain, it’s screaming at you dude…’Leinster jersey…Sunglasses up on the head… stovepipe shorts in winter…. Canada goose jackets…Liverpool gear…members of Royal Dublin Golf club..

Jaysus man…. No need to elaborate…Nailed on tossers everyone one of them….just go for it cock!

You wont be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,532 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

indeed Eee, lad hasn’t gotten to the pitch of the game, I think …..logic not required… go with your judgement.

Gimps with lots of flags in their profile name on Twitter. Usually some long string of piss who is a member of PBP or SF Youth. The sort of lads who’d be on the first train to the work camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

https://www.orourkeda.blog

White knights. awful Tossers, not that im thinking of anyone in particular. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Any fella i see walking around with chinos that are too short in the leg and wearing no socks - Grade A tossers the lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 30,548 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

#1 - #3 -> full blown tossers.

#4 Has socks

Outfits #5 & #6 looks fashionable enough for a touristy \ scenic setting but in the office it could indicates signs of impending tossering.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

I don't know if tosser is the word, but anyone posting in the Christmas Countdown thread every day from the previous St. Stephen's Day. 364 days to Christmas! We're now under 300 days to Christmas, 299 days to Christmas! These people are grown adults. I find it bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Ive definitely lost a few friends years ago due to marriage- but essentially it was more due to them being single at the time and me not giving quite as much attention to them- I think honestly it was the reduced attention, not my getting married that ended the friendship-

When I look back now, had I stopped giving them attention anyway, regardless of getting married and thus having less time to devote to friends, the outcome would have been the same- they were obviously just needy people or else only maintained the friendship on their terms- either way I’m glad I’m rid of such people from my life

I think it’s part of life for at least some people anyway- I’m amazed how some people have nearly all the friends they ever had and others lose a few and gain a few along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,590 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

I didn't note posters names on it. And as I said I'm not calling people tossers.

I just don't get it. It's a lovely sunny April day and there are so many other parts of the year to enjoy, in my opinion 😊 I can't understand counting down to Christmas, before say Halloween, at all. I don't hold any anger or resentment towards the posters. I just can't really understand it.

Edit: I'm sure, like on most fora, the vast majority of the posters on the Christmas countdown forum are decent sorts like yourself Freshpopcorn. I've come across you a lot and you're always genuine and don't insult anyone.

Post edited by Ragwort and Stones on

Advertisement