Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silage 2022

1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Starts of in the Ammonium form which is the form tested in the lab. From that the Ammonia gas comes from. If 4 units are tested in lab I don't see how it magically becomes 40 units just by choice of spreading equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If there was only 4 units of N in slurry we would not be fluting around with LESS systems. LESS makes 20% of the N in slurry available as opposed to splash plate making 10%. These are average figures depending on weather and whether water is added to the slurry.

The over all figure for slurry is 40%. The ammonia changes from liquid to gas due to a number of factors. Agitation, the smell you get is ammonia gas escaping. The action against the splash plate and throwing the slurry in the air again changes liquid ammonia to gas. Finally the weather. Hot or windy weather again creates ammonia gas similar to what happens with Urea. Wet moist weather makes more N available however it can create run off. Urea is ammonia nitrate. It why we spread Urea on wet moist ground and try to avoid wind as well as wind will help to change the ammonia in Urea into gas

The Teagasc or Lab figures are the available N at spreading. If you do not indicate otherwise they will presume spreading with a splash plate with 10% availability.

Best day to spread slurry is one of those misty wet day that is not raining. All availability figures go out the window you could get a 30-40% availability of N even with a splash plate.

Ask a consultant or a Teagasc advisor. Parlour washings have 1-3 units N/thousand gallons because of the water content and there is very little slurry in washings

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I've got you Bass down to 1 - 3 units per 1000 gallons now.

A lab test is a lab test. It's not an approximation of availability at time of, or method of spreading.

Finishing cattle slurry to dairy washings would be highest to lowest for N results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Do we have a thread for 2023 yet?

How is everyone placed so far with the weather we have been having? Got some of our slurry out about a month ago now, but some remainder still to go and then fertiliser to go too. Slurry going out at 3000G/ac. So that works out to be approximately 18 units/ac of Nitrogen and 9 days to be absorbed.

Fertiliser will be 27-4-4+S. We normally put it on at a rate of 1.5bags/ac. Which is 40.5 units/ac. So, overall the ground will be getting about 58 units and 30 days for N uptake.

Not sure where this will place us in regards to being clear to cut. So, if I have worked this out correctly, we'd need to get the fertiliser within the next 2 weeks for a late May/early June cut - more likely early June.

Have I done the sums correctly here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What would the recent heavy rain have done to the value of the slurry I put it at the start of the week? Would I have lost a unit of loss of any value at all in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

What are lads paying/charging for hauling and stacking bale silage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Depending on the draw, up to €5/bale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

A short draw 1 euro a bale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭DBK1

You paying that or charging it?

If you’re charging it I’ll have plenty of work for you at that rate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

No matter how short the draw it really possibile to see that paying for the contractor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭dmakc

For covering walled pits, do you cut the cover it into 3 sections, hang each over a wall so it can fold over the pit when done? Then maybe a second cover on top?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭I says

Put fert out the last week of March. It’s pissed all week after it was spread. Grass is flying it now. Wouldn’t worry too much about loosing value in slurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I gave up doing that

the man on the pit has to keep out a bit to save the plastic which leaves it spongy against the wall

go buy a 100 or do gravel bags and put them around the wall and the cling film the under the silage sheet

what waste you’ll have won’t be worth forking off

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

What's that cling film like to put on the silage pit does it come in big rolls like the silage cover ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Good loser

The cling film is well worth the effort. Unless very windy it's easy enough to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭dmakc

Thanks - so if I went in this order..

cling film

1 x silage sheet

gravel backs around perimeter

+ lorry tyres everywhere else

..that might do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Yep be ideal

don’t need to go mad with the lorry tires as they have lots of weight

tighten it up the sheet after a week to 10 days is good practice too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,785 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Contractor doing 50 acres of silage for someone today. Haven't even got fertiliser out on mine yet

We done 2 baling jobs last weekend, about 22 acres in total.

I don’t think I’ll be able to retire off the bill for them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭tanko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Was behind a New Holland and McHale fusion last Saturday afternoon at the foot of the Blooms. Was going to post here but seemed highly unlikely anyone would be baling what grass is there. Perhaps it was out working though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

I have good quality silage ground to let for first cut and prob a second cut.

what’s a fair price per bale or per acre

I’m thinking if I put out fert I would need €8 to €10 a bale (assuming 10 to acre) to cover fert and another 5 for my grass…

is €150 an acre or €15 a lot to look for first cut ….

was I better looking for €150 an acre and let him fertiliser and take two cuts off it

will be selling to a neighbor/relative so needs to be fair on both sides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Can the cling film be rolled up and used again if throwing a second cut on top?

Yes. Not a problem. Easier than main plastic sheet as very light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

That’s for nothing, plenty will charge 250 an acre for a first cut where the land owner applies the fertiliser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭endainoz

Saw some bales made outside gort last week, hard to see what sort of quality as they were already wrapped. Seems a bit mad to me but was on very good land during good weather. I'd imagine the sugars level would be decent in late April, no idea what kind of size the sward was though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

Neighbour made some on rented land last week aswell he has a bit away. Was a lovely looking sward and green again already. Good land, plenty of slurry and urea got.

• Advertisement
Advertisement