Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Improvers Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

• Registered Users Posts: 16,047 ✭✭✭✭event

Can you do it? Absolutely.

Should you do it? Hmm. What I would be thinking is, what is your goal for the year or do you have any? Are you doing Connemara just to do it or do you think it will aid you in your targets this year? We sometimes gloss over how tough a marathon is in our minds. I did connemara years ago. It was lovely. But by Christ was it hilly. And I am very used to the hills. Its also quite lonely. Not many people doing it, no crowds to cheer you on etc. You get picked up by a bus in Galway, get landed out to connemara and when its done you get some food (lovely food tbf) and then put on a bus back to Galway. Its very different to Dublin is all I am saying

You can 100% do it but just genuinely bare in mind it can be a lonely place when you are at mile 20, its raining, its windy, you're on your own, you're misjudged the training and with the worst hill yet to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭marathon2022

No reason why you shouldn't be able to finish this race with your base and a 6 week ramp and two week taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheRef

Cheers Folks. I'm not sure the idea of what looks like a 45 min bus ride to the middle of nowhere is all too appealing, but I think I'll see how I get on this week and make a decision next Monday. I've nothing on till DCM23 where I am hoping to break 3:45 (done 4:11 last year).

@event : Given Connemarathon is more hilly and exposed, any idea of how much slower I should expect to do it in compared to Dublin? I'm thinking as things stand, if I get around in < 4:30 I'll be happy.

Yeah that's comparable I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Just want to thank @Murph_D for this comment. I have been pretty consistent with my base building since the end of december on the back of this, currently between 40-45 miles per week. I do one long run 13-15 miles, one session or parkrun and 3 easy 70 minute runs.

So far this year I have managed PBs in 5km, 5 mile and half marathon all of which were prevously set in 2016!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That is brilliant, Nuttzz, great to see.

What is your approach to the sessions and and long runs, as a matter of interest? i.e. effort or pace targets etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I have one of those stryd pods, which I use to calculate power and I set different power settings for different session.

So for example I did the wicklow half at the weekend and the stryd calculated if I ran between 85% & 93% of their calculated power (its a dymanic figure which changes with hard efforts) then I would complete it in 1.45, so I stuck with that and ran it in 1.44. Its good because if you are going to hard up hill or not putting in enough effort downhill it has the watch prompt you to get back into the range.

Long runs are 65% to 75%, I dont always stick to it and run on feel, which lately has meant a bit over the 75% mark

Just be careful about those long runs - I don’t know anything about power meters but if that particular effort range is important I would try to stick with it. Many runners who run by feel run too fast, and while there is certainly a place in any good marathon plan for faster long runs, doing easy ones too hard is a mistake you don’t want to make. Congrats on the improvements to date.

• Advertisement

So thoughts move now to Hydration and Fuelling for marathons. I think I did ok last year, I used SIS beta fuel (80g carb per drink mix and 40g carb per gel).

Looked at Maurten but not sure I see the benefit (80g carb per drink mix and 25g carb per gel).

Are there any other drink mix or gels that deliver more carb per serving than the Beta Fuel?

What screwed me in DCM was cramping and I am putting that down to salt. Even though I took loads of chewable salt tabs (a while packet).

What are anyone else solutions for salt intake in a marathon?

I would have thought good hydration in the weeks and months before the race is more important for avoiding cramp - but that’s easy for me to say as it’s rarely been an issue. The issue does come up quite a lot around where but not sure there’s ever been a consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Re the cramping..Do you sweat much? Back when I was doing Ironmans I got a sweat test done. Turns out I sweat far more than average. Was a game changer for me. Have been using Precision Hydration tablets since as they are very high in sodium. They also do salt tablets that are high in sodium also.

To be fair it might be more critical when someone is doing 10-11 hour races like Ironmans rather than say just a solo Marathon but maybe something to consider all the same.

On your fuelling question the Maurten gels work absolutely fine for me for Marathons.I take one every 7km. Also take one about 20 mins before and about 3-4 hours before I’ll drink their 320 drink mix.

Haven’t tried the SIS beta but have read good things about them. If they work for you then why change? Doubt there are many gels with more carbs per gel than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭marathon2022

100% agree with Murph here, the cramps are not a result of the day but what you did in the weeks and months leading up. Are you taking salts during or before the training long runs? The decathlon ones I use can be taken before the race and you only need one.

Fuel-I have been mixing it up lately, Maurten 160 carb drink an hour or so before the Marathon, three decathlon and three Maurten gels during. 1 of which is caffeine. Dublin and Manchester both had bottles which is good cause I usually take a gel over the span of about 1km, sip water, sip gel. I carry a 250ml soft bottle in a belt for emergencies. I drink about 1.5 liters including pre race hydration(then four pints of lager and a dead animal with chips)

I don't do shakeouts either, at least two days rest prior to running a Marathon.

Yeah it was only in my last two that I really cramped up. So want to avoid again. Never cramp up in training though.

I had the precision hydration before, but they dont really contain carbs and I like to fuel that was too so not just gels. Maybe getting a sweat test is the way to go though, I could look at that

Yeah as above, dont really cramp in training. Had taken the salts on those LSRs too.

Cheers for the replies folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

My own 2 cents on cramping is that it can be caused by racing at a faster pace than your body is actually able for.

I was a serial cramper at both the half and full, when I'd look at HR data, it was always through the roof.

I've made a conscious decision to start racing a few beats below the above cramping efforts and I've been cramp free since.

Now its only been two races, Valencia full and Berlin half, both negative splits and both PBs. I'm hoping the trend continues.

I've watched a lot of the Matt Fox YouTube videos and he's tried all the sweat test and taking the sodium and additional supplements but he still cramps.

HR was definitely through the roof in DCM. Was slightly warmer than I was used to so put it down to that, noticed it about 2miles in.

Went out at 8 min mile pace but had done a HM 6-7 weeks before at 6:45 pace and HR was lower so could have just been one of those days either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

And I'm baaaaack 😂

Despite vowing never to do a marathon again I won a place in the DCM at work today.

Have been tipping away gradually for the last few weeks after a very slow recovery from flu over the Christmas.

Trotted around Mallow in ~70 mins a couple of weeks ago, might do the Limerick Racecourse 10 Miler next weekend and likely to do the Limerick half marathon at the end of the month as well (I won't be racing either of them fwiw .. basically treating them as group long runs)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Sussex18

Is it possible to pace yourself to do something like 3:23 in a marathon? Pacers would be 3:30 (feels conservative) and 3:15 (possible but don't want to put myself under a lot of pressure). Is the best option simply to go with the 3:30 and hopefully pass them in the last 6-10 miles all going well?

Wouldn't be my approach - by all means start out with the 3:30 pacers but you'd want to be pushing on well before halfway to get the best out of yourself (and seven would be an awful lot to make up over 6-10 miles). I would be far more comfortable running the whole race at 3:23 pace - and yes it's possible, I've done it!

• Advertisement

Ok, I've never attempted to run at 7:49 pace before and there would be nobody to follow. 3:30 just feels maybe a little bit lacking in ambition. I should be good enough, on form to reach the 3:20's...certainly 3:25 and maybe a bit more on a good day, but no pacers will do that and they are a help.

Where is the marathon? Pace groups are great but only if the time suits you. There's always someone running around your pace (well, nearly always, depending on the marathon). If you've trained well the 7:49 pace will feel easy for at least the first half of the race and you just need to not get carried away and be disciplined. Second half then you are digging in and finding groups of runners to work with. If you're a low 3:20s female marathon runner, you've probably got the experience and the resolve to carry it off.

Could I do an easy Parkrun the day before the marathon do think? Obviously I could but should I? It's my main social outlet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, I'd always do an easy 3-4 miles the day before, very easy though.

Agreed. Verrrry easy.

Thanks all.. I love the community side of Parkrun and I'd find it hard keeping the feet up all day. Trying to keep off them as much as possible today though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Thanks Lazare, Limerick actually. I haven't enjoyed the past week tbh. Normal routine disrupted and a lot of doubts in my head. Looking forward to doing it tomorrow 🙂

• Advertisement

Hi got a pb of 3:28 and delighted. Started with the 3:30 pacers but after about 3 miles found myself edging ahead of them. Around 18 miles I started to hurt considerably, had to let go somebody I had been 'following'. Times dropped back as the legs really hurt in the last 5 miles, It was about hanging in going up hills and trying to go down a bit faster. Tried to take in the atmosphere and the crowds as much for distraction as anything else. Anyway a marginal acceleration on the home straight saw me finish in 3:28.

My ideal time would have been 3:25, but 3:28 was still a big pb and I crossed the line delighted.

Learned quite a bit about marathon running, about following other people and someone told me afterwards that they were following me!

I suppose soreness and pain in the last 10K is probably unavoidable? I don't know if I had less energy but I remember the hurting. And if it is unavoidable not sure if I have much room for further improvement?

But anyway very happy and thanks to the Boarders here!

Advertisement