Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cailinglas1

We received an update that the deeds were dropped into the vendor's solicitor 10 days ago, so contracts should be with us this week (fingers crossed). The vendor wants a quick sale and we've been given a verbal closing date of 5 weeks time. I mentally can't celebrate that we are buying a house until we have keys, because of our experiences over the past two years......

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭okeydokeys22

Great news. How long have you been sale agreed? I'm a seller and still waiting on deeds and terrified buyers will pull out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

We are in the process of trading up at the moment, and it's a stressful process.

We put our house on the market in November, it was sale agreed within a couple of weeks at a good price. Multiple bidders, and buyer was chosen partly because of their close links to the area and willingness to wait for us to find a house. All good.

Fast forward 4/5 months, and we have:

• gone sale agreed on a house, only for it to fall through due to structural issues uncovered in the engineer's report
    • Outbid on another house we loved (well above asking)
    • We were highest bidder on another (seller went with a cash buyer who offered less than us)

Now our buyers are understandably getting impatient, we're worried it's going to fall through.

Going to see another house we think we are going to love today, so fingers crossed.

My two observations from the last 5 months of house-hunting:

• We are looking for 4-bed detached houses. We are in a large town, but really lucky if 1-2 of these come on to the market each month, and really lucky if 1 of these ticks enough of our boxes for us to view/bid on.
    • While the market overall may be slowing, these houses are still attracting a lot of interest and going for well above asking price.

All the while, interest rates go up and up and up . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

The amount of sales falling through is astounding.

It was like "Rear Window" here the last few days.

Im looking out the window at the house across the road that is for sale for about 6 months now.

It was sale agreed within a couple of weeks of going on the market. That fell through because they didnt actually have a mortgage of the amount they said and couldnt get it. A few week later it was sale agreed again. That fell through because those buyers decided that the vendor wasnt able to move fast enough for them.

Then last week the latest buyers pulled out because of problems with boundaries on their own house that they were selling. They had been stalling for a couple of months and got an ultimatum. Dont know how much it was sale agreed at with any of those.

For sale sign went up again last week.

Im looking at lots of drive bys over easter. Cars driving up, stopping outside for a while and then going on their way. Some getting out and snapping a few pictures.

Yesterday must have been the viewing. There was a steady stream of people going in and chatting to the agent outside.

When I looked it up on Daft the asking price is 55k more than when it went up the first time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Mine took 8 months to sell, fell through twice before finally being rid of it, so happy to be done with it! It really shouldn't be so difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I’ll be in the exact situation in a few weeks. House is going up for sale at the end of the month, we’re going through the process of getting AIP wit a few banks etc. I’ll be hoping I’ve a buyer like yours that’s patient and willing to wait for us to find the house we want/need. We’re looking for a 4 bed detached and at worst a four bed semi but are few and far between within our area and budget. It looks like our max budget will be €300k

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bluebird22

But presumably you've signed contracts without a definitive closing date so unlikely it'll fall through if deal is binding and your buyer was happy to wait. Only way it could fall through now is some issue with their finance. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Nope, contracts not signed yet. They don't want to sign without a closing date, and we don't want to sign until we can commit to one. Marriage of convenience!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

If I was a buyer, I wouldn't sign a contract without a closing date - why would you?

I remember back when we bought our house from a developer we didn’t sign contracts until about 3 weeks before getting the keys, this was due to them needing to finish out the house and the snags. But I assume you could put in the contract a provisional date that’s subject to change and limit it to one change…… I’d be hopeful that we get a buyer is patient with us as we go on our house hunt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Gone sale agreed on a modest 2 bed bungalow since mid January, got all my documents sent up to Bank of Ireland including mortgage protection and house insurance and im having a nightmare of a time waiting for them to issue the loan contracts.

Signed all of my paperwork with the mortgage broker 1st week of February, signed the contracts with solicitor end of February and have the 10% paid into vendors solicitor.

The bank are holding everything up. I have a very good salary and savings record but they seem to be delaying the process, asking for updated payslips and taking a week to acknowledge any answer. My broker just keeps telling me the bank are "working through the paperwork" but im stuck in the middle as the auctioneer rings every single week looking for an update and all i can tell them is the bank still havent got back to me. The seller now has told my solicitor if i dont get the loan issued in 4 weeks they are pulling out but this isnt my fault, ive done everything required of me but BOI are stalling the whole thing.

I have a horrible feeling im going to lose the house. BOI seem to be doing this to a lot of applicants in order to get them onto the higher interest rate which kicks in 5th May, by which stage i fear the seller will look elsewhete. Extremely frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Sorry to say but you probably just have to start "annoying" them a little because they seemed to react to that. I could have written exactly what you have written about B0I about 6 months ago. Did not use a Broker. I just started asking them questions every day via the BOI Portal (even if I had some of the info already from my solicitor who also was in contact with them over the phone). In the end - they added about 3 weeks delay for me I reckon but at least any time they updated with a new message - there was zero delays in providing information (often it was stuff that had already been uploaded a few months previous) once they responded. I had a feeling that the Backend IT systems they are using are a bit dated for internal communication/processes, even if the Online Portal looks shiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

That's not good to read. We're going through a broker with BOI and PTSB, I think I'd find delays like you've had infuriating. Can only imagine the amount of houses buyers have lost due to the stone age mortgage process.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Yeah its very frustrating, especially when the auctioneer is ringing weekly looking for updates as if i have any control over the process. The banks hold all the cards here since so many customers are gone from KBC and Ulster. Im surprised the auctioneer doesnt get this. Surely im not the only one in no mans land waiting for word back..

I have reached out to BOI directly and am going to pester them as per advice on their portal. Good luck with your own journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

I found BOI and AIB to be total dopes to deal with so gave up on both of them - got mortgage approval with EBS instead - breath of fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Funnily I'm having the exact opposite experience at the moment. BOI and AIB have been grand to deal with and quick to reply, applications with the underwriters at the moment.

EBS, who we applied with first, still hasn't submitted the application yet because they keep asking for more documents. Get them what they're looking for, they ask for another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭This is it

We're due to close in a couple of weeks, looking for advise on what needs to be done on the day. We're moving out of an apartment so move ESB (take readings both sides), move Virgin TV/Broadband, change locks in new house, order bins... Anything else I'm leaving out?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dubal

I am drawing down my mortgage next Monday 24th April.

My mortgage is with TSB. I am getting 2% of the total mortgage amount at drawdown in a cash back lump sum.

I am planning on using this to buy a few bits for the house. They say "on draw down" but realistically when get I expect to get the money?

I was told within 40 days of drawdown with PTSB

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Bluebird22

OP mentioned that the buyer was willing to wait until they were ready to close, which suggests none was in the contract at time of signature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

I switched mortgage to PTSB last year and I think the cashback was in my account within 2-3 weeks tops, it was suprisingly quick as I recall. Of course, I signed for the PTSB Explore account to get a little more rebate, so that might have helped expedite slightly idk

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

The contracts are not signed according to the OP?

Just had a quote from a solicitor for the sale of my property and buying off a new one. €1700 selling all in and then €2725 buying all in. Excluding stamp duty.

is that good??

Not sure about the selling cost but buying my quote is €3k ex stamp duty. From about 5 quotes it was between €2.5-3.5k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Roughly the same as myself for professional fees only including VAT. Remember you may have other fees on top of stamp duty such as land registry fees, law searches etc. They can't know for sure until all is said and done, but everything for me has been estimated at just under 7k.

Beverly Hills, California

Her quote had all of those included for the buying of the property so I’m in and around the norm so. That’s fine. She seems good going by reviews and so on

That's a good price so, you're looking at sub 2k professional fees which are rare enough.

• Advertisement

Advertisement