Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of Focus & Off Topic MkIII...

1474849505153»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 yopals01

i think it is better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Some simply amazing landscape photos here:

Top Shots From the 2021 International Landscape Photographer of the Year

Love number 4, like an abstract painting. And 11- wow!

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2022/02/top-shots-2021-international-landscape-photographer-year/621462/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone taking part in RTE's eye on nature competition €1k up for grabs 🙂

Call me stupid but since the site change, how do I embed a photo from Flickr please?

I select the BCC code and paste it but that doesn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

AFAIK photos auto embed ? If you link it should show

Cheers, it'll link but can only seem to get it linking to staticflickr.

It'll do for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

it appears it won't work for me either. i haven't used a forum in like 7 years & i guess the old way as you mentioned above doesn't work. i tried all the other share options as well & just kept getting errors! MEEP

if someone could point me in the right direction, i'd appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You can’t embed Flickr any more, and the new platform doesn’t support BBCode.

It does, however let you upload images direct from your phone or computer auto-embed them in the post. Which means that even there won’t be broken image links here in the future if people delete thinks from Flickr. So best bet is to hit the image icon, and upload your image from a local copy.

If you paste a URL of an image hosted elsewhere and hit return after, it will embed the image too. But that won’t work for Flickr, as the images themselves don’t have a URL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi all, first time wandering in here I think. I did the NCFE level 1 in photography last year, just for something to do. Really got into photography over the course of the year when I had time for it. Upgraded my camera in June and spent the summer trying to focus on macro photography. Some of the earlier photos were bad, I’ve improved a lot over the summer but I still dont think I’m a great photographer, at least not yet anyway. I’m signed up to start level 2 next week. Can’t wait to get started again although photoshop is the Bain of my life. Some of the others in the class struggle with it too so I’m not on my own. I’ve just put a few of my photos from the summer up in the photo thread. I saved them on to my phone from Facebook and posted them here so the quality isn’t the best but constructive criticism is welcome. 😊

• Advertisement

Some fantastic photos here-Nature Conservancy photography competition winners

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2022/10/winners-2022-nature-conservancy-photo-contest/671644/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Hello everyone,

I used to post here a long time ago. I've neglected the old camera and I'm looking to pick it up a bit more and get creative again. I have an iMac from 2010 which I can no longer update and I am now unable to use Lightroom/Photoshop so I suppose I'm in the market for a replacement computer. I shoot photos and video with a 5dM2 and a 6DM2. Trying to figure out (and failing) as to what I should be thinking and looking out for so if anyone has recently gone through the same process and they were willing to give me a few pointers and tips, I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,

Rojo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I only usually come in here to have a look at the photos, which are generally amazing, but I am not a photographer.

I was interested in this though https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/ai-photo-win-sony-scli-intl/index.html - a photographer submitted an AI image - and admitted to it when he won, he was trying to make a point. On the one hand the submission was in the 'creative open' category, and he said that there was some AI involvement, the organisers said they knew there was and were happy about it. Then he withdrew his pic to make a point and the organisers got humpy about it. I think they were all wrong.

At the same time I don't see what there was about the photo to make it a winner? Its entirely unconvincing - the hands are horrible - in my uneducated opinion. What do photographers think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Here's the remaining shortlisted entries in the Creative Open category:

I don't really know what the criteria for entry is supposed to be, so I can't really tell where Eldagsen's image wold fall in terms of an good or not entry. To my eye, looking at the image, it doesn't surprise me at all to see that it is AI generated, but then he did tell them that there was an AI component to it. Seems to be a bit of a manufactured controversy to then come out and say "actually, it's all AI! Look at how I fooled you all and opened up a debate!". It would be one thing to win a "traditional" photography competition with an AI image, but to win a "you can enter images with AI elements" competition with one seems like a non-issue. TBH, none of the entries do anything for me, simply because I don't know what it is I'm supposed to be judging them against.

Clearly some of them - particularly this one from Nicolas Bigot - have strong "non photographic" elements to them (I haven't bothered to look to see if this is AI, AI merged with a photo, a 3D render or what. I don't really care):

Every photography competition has had to deal with manipulation and inappropriate staging from the year dot. Remember when this winner of the Natural History Museum's wildlife photographer of the year award was stripped of his win because it turned out he staged the shot with a tame wolf:

There's always going to be dishonest people, and there's going to be times that some of them slip though the net - this isn't something new with the advent of AI images.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

RTE show about photography, presented by known polymath Marty Morrissey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

There was a great episode on Gerry Andrews, of Milk Market fame. I think it was the first episode. Now there is a photographer, and gentleman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Dartz

Found a cartridge of FP100-C for not-insane money. Took it to Akumakon. Gave people some real instant photos.

Ten years ago this could've been a genuinely amusing thing to do at cons. At least- I got one chance to try it. Clean the bug-juice off the rollers and its ready to go again. I found one more cartridge. That'll probably be that - unless the price of One-Instant goes down.

It worked so well. The Magic of the Peel is real - especially to those who'd grown up with digital and instagram. But I'm always late to the party.

(Some lad in the States is making backs for these - to run Instax. I'd almost be tempted....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

That a Press or a 600se? Peel apart was always better than Instax from a technical POV, reverse shots notwithstanding. I've put Instax through my Mamiya Press in plate holders, and put C330 lenses onto an Instax, ultimately it's the film itself kind of lets it down, just too low res, and difficult to get the entire thing registered on the exact same plane. I do like it though, just more low-fi than it could be.

Ha, yeah. I went to considerable expense to get that back for the press that has the shutter button on it, and is linked to the advance and darkslide so makes it impossible to screw THAT bit of it up at least (though you still have to remember to cock the shutter everytime). It's major drawback was the particular cable that linked the back to the lens was on a weird clicky fit and would fall out all the time, I remember retracing my steps during a walk for about 45 minutes until I came across it lying innocently on the ground. Back was useless without it.

• Advertisement

I had a quick look on ebay and couldn't find one like that. It'd be handy. The alternative is discipline - whoich I'm not exactly known for.

Also have a Metz Mecablitz that came with it - but I think the last time that was fired off it set off a few bhangmeters.

There are a bunch on Japan ebay, but none of them come with the cable which is a bit **** as they're effectively useless without it. I wasn't a huge fan of shooting mine because it's probably the single most unergonomic camera I've ever owned. It had boxy bits sticking out at every conceivable right angle, the back, the RF, the lens, the handle if you had it fitted, then the cable if I was using that was looped below the camera body, it was impossible to take it out of a bag without a good five minutes rearranging the thing 🤣

It's a bit like assembling a sniper rifle. I'll probably end up taking it to Kaizokucon if I get another cartridge.

It's an amusing thing for people to interact with.

Hi,

Anyone recommend me a company for Professional Indemnity insurance please?

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Advertisement