Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andrew Tate

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Bit of a shame that he couldn’t control his own urges to groom teenage girls, and pimp them out as sex cam workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Sort of like the opposite of an I’m alright jack type character they seem to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I've read Meditations and loved it. It's mad to think that at the time he was just writing down his thoughts, he never intended for it to be published.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I can see why you like him now.

Whilst it may be news to you, controlling emotions and acting appropriately is not really groundbreaking insights into human behaviour for the rest of us. It's just what we actually do as opposed to something we philosophise about.

Seeing as he failed to control himself an act appropriately when he got the feeling that he wanted to sendflirts to 16 year old girls, I take it we can deduce that he's not actually a real man?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

I purchased a bible some time back - what's your point?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

True enough GF. I suppose before the printing press nobody really did, but given a fair chunk(though sadly too much was lost) has come down to us from ancient writers, enough people thought enough of such texts to go to the crazy effort of copying them down to keep them alive in the "public" mind. Printing brought it to all. It's kinda mad to think that by walking into a book shop, or by the mere click of a screen we can read the minds of folks like Marcus, Aritstotle, Plato et al. And that's just the European bit. They can talk to us, sadly we can't talk to them.

What I find remarkable about Marcus is that he thought like this and at the same time was essentially the absolute ruler of one of the biggest feck off empires in the world. And it didn't go to his head. He took pains to actively make sure it didn't. It's been said "power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely". Marcus: "Hold my beer". 😁 The last of the "good emperors" of Rome.

The Daily Stoic is a book of quotes from Marcus Aurelius among others.

I was replying to a different poster who made a recommendation.

I'm well aware if that - my point being that purchasing it doesn't mean you read it.

Just because you didn't read your Bible doesn't mean I didn't read my book.

You are only guessing

I never said you didn't read it - I merely pointed out that YOU never said you DID.

If I had to guess, based on the evidence you yourself provided, I'd say you didn't read it, on the basis that some of the basic stuff that Tate comes out with seems to be a revelation to you. I could, of course be wrong, and you'll probably say that I am.

Anyway, leaveing this here as it serves no purpose as it sheds no light on Tate.

Ok no worries. I don't even know what you are on about anymore. You just seem to want to pick argument with me on everything.

There is no need. I hear and respect your opinion and don't stress if you don't respect mine.

From the book of the Romans

Rom. 14:19 “…make every effort to do what leads to peace and mutual edification.”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,444 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

There seems to be a whole cohort of lesser Steven Segals who want the world to see them as deep thinkers who also know how to fight. Lots of talk talk about how they meditate, how they're stoic and how they operate on a higher level but they're all just teenagers and young men who take themselves too seriously.

Tate seems to cater to that market. They're the same group who used to be the target for those lads mags, but times have moved on and now in the age of the internet it's cam girls, UFC and crypto to go with the supercars. I'm sure most of them will grow out of it. The problem is the rest of us, particularly girls their age, are on the receiving end of their bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

He wasn't called the philosopher Emperor for nothing.

They all put me in mind of Chris Eubank kinda. Completely fake, with a makey uppy pseudo intellect/personality that appeals to the extremely naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,444 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It might stem from the same thing as with the MMA crowd, trying to prove you're not just a dumb guy who beats people for a living. Not saying they're all dumb, but there's definitely a perception that they're looking to dispel. For the same reason you only ever hear about celebrities and sportspeople being members of Mensa, the scientists and academic types either don't feel the need to brag about it or never joined to begin with.

I forgot Chris Eubank was a thing.

Eubank was playing a character though - he was more akin to a WWE heel.

Also gentuinely more intelligent than Tate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,198 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Marcus good character was balanced out by his son Commodus.

Given that there's all this good stuff out there, how do we get that information to young men and get rid of the need for charlatans like Tate?

I heard something that made me think recently around the Internet and effect it can have on intergenerational relationships. A simple example of DIY. If I needed to tile splashback on the bathroom sink, I'd watch a few YouTube videos. Without the Internet, I would ask my FIL who is handy at all that stuff. It would be good for him and his ego to be in a position to teach me, help improve our house and good for me and our relationship. But the Internet does that work for us and cuts out the side benefits apart from getting the splashback.

How do we rebuild intergenerational relationships so young lads have decent role models and don't have to turn to the likes of Tate?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Role models that push such kids towards other role models seem to be the best ones from my perspective. As someone who teaches Jujitsu and other martial arts (and that jedi school thing I do) to mostly boys in the 13-18 range - I seem to be that role for them. They come to me with life questions and other problems that have literally nothing to do with the martial art. If I see a lad rolling with extra frustration or even tears - and I ask him on the side if anything is going on with him - I often see a wall come down and all kinds of stuff comes out. And it's good for them.

What pushes those kids into coming to people like me to learn BJJ? Well like him or hate them people like Joe Rogan and Jokko Willink for sure. The vast majority of lads I see who want to learn BJJ want it because of how much Rogan talks about it and the light he shines on it. So the role model of Joe Rogan pushes them to do a real world thing like Martial Arts which leads them to role models like me.

Whereas I think people like Tate and the PUA community are offering cheap and hollow and backrupt "quick fix" things which as you point out above with you tube - is bypassing that kind of side benefit and progression. They are more promoting themselves by way of being a role model where others (like Rogan) have the effect of promoting paths in life external to their own brand that the young pursue. So when listening to these "influences" the first thing I always evaluate is whether they are saying "keep listening to me and be like me and you will do good" or more like "here are things you can do in your own life, nothing to do with me, that I want to tell you all about and maybe you will go try them and find benefit".

So not sure I have any constructive answers to your question now I read back what I just wrote - more just echoing what you just said - but there certainly seems to be some online role models worth promoting over others. Even Jordan Peterson who I have faulted in all kinds of ways in the past - and still do - would be much higher along that continuum than so many others. But I certainly can not find any even remotely close to "perfect" even in the ones I would - and do - happily promote.

I noticed another one recently only because I accidently discovered my daugther has subscribed to her. Some podcast called "Healthy But Human" which seems to be the girls version of the "Art of Manliness" podcast. A random cursory listen came accross as a decent enough role model - though maybe a little heavy on the fitting "god" into every podcast somewhere.

They say that the solution to bad data is better data, the solution to bad conversation is better conversation, so maybe the solution to bad role models is just to promote and support the better ones. What else can we do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We don't. The modern societal model pushes most people towards either bullsh*t gig economy jobs or into cities to pursue careers. There are exceptions of course. One can be a good GP in Ballina as much as Dublin but for the most part, aspiring researchers, engineers and scientists will be emigrating or moving to Dublin.

There's the other side of your analogy where there's no shortage of people who love to pull others down. For every avuncular aul fella happy to help a younger neighbour check their oil, there's dozens who'd resort to lies, pranks or just outright refusal. Google doesn't give a sh*te either way and a lot of people, myself included, despise having to ask for help.

One of my first jobs was as a cashier in a betting shop. I asked how long a furlong was and got laughed at by the miserable aul c*nts who frequented the place. Then again, I did take their fortunes with a smile so what comes around...

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭crusd

The hallmark of a real man is also sexually exploiting teenage girls for financial gain is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,715 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

@[Deleted User] "You say that like it is a bad thing?"

Generalising just a bit here but I don't think roided-up, coked-up UFC fighters make great role models or philisophers

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

It's especially stupid as Ireland wasn't (officially) involved in WWII and there was no baby boom as such, pumping out kids non-stop was the norm throughout the 20th century until the 80s (later still for some)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Out of curiosity did you @ the wrong person there or does that actually happen when you @ me? I have a new account with the same username as before and I am wondering if it is a technical issue because of that?

I think you would be surprised just how many UFC fighters and Army soliders are in fact quite phiosophical and great role models. But of course both areas are a very mixed bag of individuals. The UFC fighters and soldiers who make it onto having podcasts or being podcast guests are obviously there because they are the more decent selection. So it is a self selecting bunch.

What I tend to see in Martial arts both in and out of the competitive arena however are very well grounded and intelligent and discplined human beings. Sure on screen you see UFC individuals knocking the living crap out of each other on fight day. But that is not representative of their life or personality at all. The discipline and respect and constant self improvement that goes into getting them to that level however - is. BJJ people specifically in my own experience - and I have heard it echoed from others often too - are often the most wonderfully relaxed and open and down to earth people. A result - many have surmised - of the humility of needing to tap 1000s of times and being literally confronted with your own limitations and boundries as a human being on a daily basis.

Too many examples to list jump to mind. But if you listen to the Francis Ngannou interview on Joe Rogan where he talked about how he escaped his country and fought his way through learning martials arts - absolutely a role model. Joe Rogan himself talks often about how martial arts and competing and fighting basically saved him from himself - and is also a role model for many. If you look at Jokko Willink in a picture you - like I did - might instantly think "meat head" but you listen to him talk for a few hours and you realise this is a deeply physical and intellectual human being and absolutely a role model. If you listen to Matt Thornton speak about martial arts and violence and agression (recent interview on Sam Harris coincidently) - absolutely a role model. Most of the MMA interviews I listen to display very thoughtful and self disciplined human beings men and women.

So yeah I think you might be generalising a bit - maybe from a point of not really having gone in depth and experiences many of the characters you see on screen drawing blood out of each other. A good caution to myself not to generalise just as poorly in the other directon and suggest that UFC lads are all great philosophers or role models. Many are aboslutely not (McGregor and Covington make me sick). In short I think I would listen to what a UFC fighter has to say - and how he says it - and not go in with any assumption positive or negative merely because their career is in UFC, MMA or any form of violence related to sport or country.

I definitely @'ed you but it's coming up with one of those random word closed account names?! Your name is appearing correctly on your posts though.

Try again.. @[Deleted User]

(there is also a taxAHgruel user in the list!!)

Bear in mind McGregor is the sum total of most Irish people's experience of UFC 😊

Can you reply to me with the QUOTE button then, just to see if it also happens there? Then I will open a ticket in the helpdesk and report it. Thanks for testing it with/for me!

Yeah I think McGregor has negatively colored peoples impression of UFC fighters and MMA figthers - and it is perfectly understandable that you might jump to a generalisation from that. Because what else have you got to work with? If the only Taxi Drivers you see/notice act like dicks on the road you will of course think all Taxi drivers are dicks.

Just being involved in MMA at personal and competition level - and occasionally watching interviews with such people on many podcasts and so forth - I see a completely different side of many of them. And it makes sense because it is a sport that requires a lot of dedication, self discipline, overcoming personal limitations and boundries, humiliation, confronting your own ego and humility, and so it is going to select many (though clearly not all) of some pretty exceptional human beings.

I even feel it / see it in myself and those around me when I do BJJ. If I am training constantly and well then I can not be goaded into a fight on the street or to react angry to assholes in traffic or anything. I am entirely calm and zen. When I am not training for any reason (illness, lockdowns, whatever) I slowly over time feel that side of me returning. I have seen BJJ transform what appears to be irredemable scum bag teen boys in my area (the kind that would literally accost and abuse and terrify little old women struggling home with their shopping) into something absolutely unrecognisable and worthy of celebration and pride.

But even then the majority of the public are only going to see those human beings on Fight Day - and will not see any of that background context at all. Compunded by a media who generally will only report on when MMA individuals do something bad or awful or wrong because that is news. Whereas a guy going in daily and applying amazing self discpline and self improvement on a slow incremental and dedicated level - is not.

So the worst of the worst tend to come to represent a wider group of generally exceptional people. Which is a shame. Again like him or hate him - the platform Rogan gives MMA figthers to talk for 3 or 4 hours about their journey really lets you see another side.

The Francis interview is a wonderful one to start with if you are interested. How he escaped his country - and how he kept trying even after failed attempts where he was dumped in the middle of the desert to die but came out of it multiple times anyway - is about as much "role model" material as you would ever want in a human being. I still know next to nothing about Tate but looking at the picture of him posing in a cold sauna makes me imagine he would curl up and cry for his mammy to even go through 5% of what Francis did.

I disagree - if he was, he would have avoided legal problems and pedophile accusatons

The character would pretend to flirt with teenagers to evoke a negative reactions from the public.

The real.person actually does it to evoke personal.pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think your problem is that you closed your previous account, had it anonymised and then opened another account with the same name.