Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Some great timing by the county board

'Win a House in Dungarvan Final Draw - Live on Sunday 23rd April at 11am!'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

It’s a horrible first match for us to have and I fear we could get an absolute mauling on Sunday, we’ve been there with Davy Fitz in the past when the team is setup all wrong and totally out of tune. I hope I’m wrong as if we do it will be our championship over before it even starts. We really have know idea where we’re at whereas the green Limerick machine just needs to show up and click into gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

Looks like they will sell most if not all of these tickets hopefully.

Some positive news for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 HelloHello1234

Austin will be lucky to play any game in munster

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Why have we gone again with Davy Fitz' & it's not that I have anything against the man but surely Henry Shefflin should have been sounded out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭deisedude

Shefflin already has a job with Galway so that was a non-runner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

jesus christ this place is full of absolute lu la's. between this post, JD.60, Asdfgh2020 and PTH, this place really is a circus at the best of times.

We've appointed Cork, Tipp' Clare and I'm struggling after that! For a county that has been so dominant for as long as I can remember I fail to understand the reasons why we haven't. They surely know how to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

A 10-15 point defeat on Sunday unfortunately wouldn’t be at all surprising, I really do fear we’re in for a drubbing.

Its a sad state of affairs that if we were to “only” go down by 6-8pts while keeping them honest for 50-60mins wouldn’t be a bad outcome. Imperative we keep 15 on the field as a red card will make things turn very ugly.

As another poster mentioned it’s hard to think of a game we’ve gone into before wondering how badly it was going to turn out. Even against the great KK teams of 15 years ago we always went into them thinking we had a chance. Hard to see us being anything other than what will be a long list of victims this Limerick team will chew through this championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

of course, you are a beacon of sanity and common sense !

3 word come to mind ..... POT/KETTLE/BLACK

• Advertisement

From the outside a nice clean look for the Stand

Not much buzz about Sunday given its the championship and in Thurles. The new calendar is just not the same as of yet.

Be a much different feel if we can finally get out of Munster in this bloody Round Robin system. Much easier siad that done if we don't get out at least once in the next 2/3 years then were never getting out of it tbh

Worst possible Round 1 for us is too get a hammering and then Clare vs Tipperary to finish a draw

If only some of those Ballygunner players "didn't retire/concentrate on club hurling" from the intercounty scene. Can see that list growing next year unfortunately with Davys style of play been a massive contribution to the decision

So are we just unwilling to listen or adapt to a style of hurling by someone who has achieved success. Is it due to all we have won since 1959 that we feel that we know it all anyway & that there is no need to listen & just continue until it happens but unfortunately it doesn't work that way!

🤡

go to bed mate, You're brain will thank you.

Listening to every podcast/pundit/journo all week and there all saying Waterford will finish last of the 5 in Munster (history on their sides btw) but I still think this weekend we will be competitive and lose but not by which that doomsday merchants on here think.

We will beat Cork on Saturday week and that's a fact. Judge this team in 2 weeks time and put away the mystic meg balls. There's a bite in this team and there is a few teams in Munster going to feel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

From today's RTE website

‘A breath of fresh air' - Jamie Barron hails Davy Fitz impact

By Stephen Barry

RTÉ Sport reporter

Jamie Barron has credited Waterford manager Davy Fitzgerald with changing how he thinks about the game of hurling.

The three-time All-Star described Fitzgerald as a "breath of fresh air" as they seek to implement his new methods in time for their Munster Championship opener against Limerick on Sunday.

"It is different," said Barron when asked to compare the changes to previous regimes. "It's a lot of talk and it’s a lot of assessing, a lot of analysis. Stuff that we mightn’t have been too used to in the past with different managements.

"There’s a lot to take in but we’re doing a good job on it so far and hopefully we can implement the information we’ve been given and carry it out in championship.

"He shows us lots of new methods of approaching different scenarios. It’s all stuff, when you see it, you think to yourself, 'Jeaney, how didn’t we think of that before?’

"It’s a new way for us and we’ll see how it goes and we’ll see what benefits we do get out of his style of thinking."

As for Davy the man-manager, Barron rates Fitzgerald’s strong player focus as his key attribute.

"It's been a breath of fresh air. He's great to work with," said the Fourmilewater flyer.

"He's very understanding. He's totally for the players. He looks out for us. He makes sure that we're enjoying training as well as putting in all the hard work.

"He brings a lot of educational stuff to us, loads of learning. It's just for us players now to be able to take on board all the information he's giving us and try to implement it out on the field of play. That's what we're trying to work on now for the last four or five weeks."

Waterford's Jamie Barron

Barron arrived on the senior scene two years after Fitzgerald's 2008-11 tenure as Waterford manager. Pauric Mahony’s retirement earlier this year severed the final remaining playing link to that time.

For Barron, it wasn’t until he met Fitzgerald that he got a true sense of his character.

"Everyone has a picture in their head of what Davy’s like but Davy’s a lovely fella behind it all. He looks out for each and every one of us, he looks out for his backroom team, and he’s a big family man. You can’t fault any man if they’re his principles."

Waterford spent five days in Portugal after their league elimination to Kilkenny and while Barron picked up "a bit of a tan", the focus was firmly on soaking up tactical lessons.

They did three sessions a day, morning, lunchtime, and evening, with hurling and tactical training to the fore as well as recovery work in between.

"I think we've come back in a much better place from it," said Barron.

"It's stuff you couldn't probably get done here at home so we're delighted to get away and be able to do it out there."

Barron’s own league campaign ended early, with his second-half red card against Tipperary. It was a mistake he owns up to.

"No, we didn't contest it. I suppose I raised my hand and I connected with a face guard which is obviously a clear breach of the rules now. It's a red card.

"I took my marching orders and I got on with it, took my medicine, and that was it."

His fine form that day offered little consolation in his hard-nosed self-analysis.

"It was the cause of us shipping two goals and losing by 10 points. No matter how good you're going by yourself, it's all about the team and that night I let the team down and was primarily the cause for a 10-point loss."

Sunday will offer the acid test of how far those five weeks of tactics and training have gone toward bedding in that new style.

"It takes time to be able to change and think in new ways and implement new plans," said Barron.

"We're working hard behind the scenes. We're doing our best to be able to get up to speed as fast as we can with new management and new styles and so on.

"Hopefully it'll all come together before the 23rd of April.

"This year, we've a different run-in to what we had last year. We'd two weeks after the league final and then championship is upon you whereas this year, we're able to sit down and assess ourselves a bit better.

"We'll give it our best shot and see what we can do."

"Maybe we're not in the limelight of other teams where they can look at us and suss it out that bit easier.

"We're coming in after a lay-off and hopefully it'll stand to us a bit more than the way it panned out for us last year."

As for the "massive challenge" of Limerick first up, Barron said: "We’ll be hoping to take learnings from the beatings we’ve taken over the years at the hands of them so it’s tough but we’ll give it our best shot and see what we can do.

"Some day, they’re going to be beaten and hopefully we can be there to step in and take over."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Team for Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ian OB

No Foran?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

• Advertisement

Good too see Darragh Lyons has recovered from his injury and Aussie on the bench also

Lots of experience in that squad/team and by god we'll need that and everything going our way on Sunday. Sad seeing Dessie and Kiely in the half forward line, let's hope its a few mind games by Davy (not that John Kiely & management will be taking any notice)

Roll on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ian OB

Not at all. He's a big strong lad who can win his own ball & can be relied on to get a few points from play. I know he doesn't get alot of love round these parts but somebody like him would at least keep the Limerick defenders honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭deisedude

Foran is the type of player we are calling out for but just not at the required level. Shame Tom Devine has to retire early with work commitments

sweet Jesus will you stop. this isn't pre 2000's where the 15 lined out in the positions as named. it's either 5 or 6 players moving around at various different points in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Greengrass53

Holiday committmenfs

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

Fair play to win a house in dungarvan team.Great achievement to sell out all the tickets.

Should generate some good funds.

The timing of the draw is a little unusual given supporters will be travelling up to Thurles for the match when it takes place

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

I have a season ticket for Sunday if anyone is looking for a ticket. Pm me. I’ll be in Alvor in the algarve watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

Well for ya to be over in the Algarve, when you should be above in Thurles cheering on your friend Davy 🤣

• Advertisement

Advertisement