Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Life's too short for 5 meg "broadband" believe me you won't be long getting sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

True, but most of her time I'm on my phone and Gomo hits 30 where I am. I'll just put up with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5 not that afraid

Anyone get a voucher for installation recently? Filled the online registration and waited to hit the place order button as someone suggested. Got an email with contract outline but no offer of o4a voucher. 50 quid not too bad when you add it to the 59 over 12 months but still seems steep for them just sending out the new boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭tb66

Rang 3 weeks ago to cancel,was offered €15 off for 9mths then back to €60. Nothing else on table so cancelled.Signed up for Vodafone,still waiting on installation, as ESB have to connect cable and they didnt know when that would happen. Rang VM today,as it expires on Thurs to see what they would offer(was gona renew regardless cause I need bb) 6mth half price straight away,asked him to do 9mths half price and I will renew then and there."Have to consult supervisor" and 30secs later ..done..

Gona let Voda install anyway and then cancel during cooling period.Next year at least the cable will be there so switching should be seamless.

Good idea if it works out, I can't see Vodafone being nice about it though. When does the cooling off period start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭EarWig

14 days to cancel without penalty.Vodafone may not be too friendly next year but providing they leave the cable connected to the Siro network theres always Sky or Digiweb aswell.

But when does the 14 day cooling off period start? Is it from when the order is placed or the day of connection?

I rang yesterday to find out when my contract finishes and got 6 months half price offered straight away😊. I'm out of contract in early May I'll ring back then and push hard for 9 months.

• Advertisement

All their competitors are nearly half the price,they have to be loosing customers.Just have all your price comparisons to hand.Vodafone dropped price to €30pm when I called them and included 3 add-ons aswell!

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Going through this shambles at the moment.

They are hard work this year, I've never had to push so hard to get a discount. They offered me a tenner off for 6 months initially ffs, wanted to laugh at the guy down the phone.

Ended up getting upgraded to 1gb and getting 6 months at half price, but had to do quite a bit of pushing for it.

They gave me the entire spiel about SIRO, oh they share with Eir, oh they'll have to drill, oh but that price they're offering is only for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭raxy

Don't bother with the hassle, just cancel & sign up in your partners name.

1GB is 80/month so your deal is going to cost you €720. If you signed up as a new customer it would be 54/month plus €30 connection fee & you get a €100 gift card (atm anyway). That would cost you €578 for the year saving you €142 compared to the "deal" they gave you.

Or stay on 500 with any of the ftth providers and never pay more than €35 a month ever again 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭tiegan

QUITE IMPORTANT - the cancellation email (cancel@virgin.ie) method of giving 30 days notice no longer is in use. As I found out to my cost. It was worked perfectly for the last few year, and was a hassle free way of cancellation. They stopped using this system sometime in February this year. I sent off my cancellation email as per in March giving 30 days notice and got a bill today. I got it sorted but a bit of a PITA. Now the only way to cancel is to ring customer service. They cannot do it over chat either apparently. Just a heads up for the frequent flyers on here like myself that avail themselves of the 5e/month offers as and when they offer them.

Thanks for that. Think I'll get ftth installed and leave VM altogether, there are much better options available. I went fttc before and got an immediate cancellation when I rang as I already had internet sorted and could break my contract as there was an impending price increase coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭EarWig

Thanks for that very valuable info.

Zero chance that I will return now.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭raxy

I sent mine on the 28th Feb. On the 1st March I sent again forwarding the first as I didn't get s reply. I contacted virgin on Facebook & they told me to mail customer.support@virginmedia.ie & they told me not to worry that I will get a reply.

Then I got 2 mails with different cancellation dates a day or 2 after.

That was just broadband, maybe phones are different?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭tiegan

They told me both on chat, and on the phone that this had changed recently, may have been March not Feb - be interested to hear if anyone has done this recently and got it cancelled. I emailed them on 18th March to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

Just made the annual call, on 250mb BB only €60. Told them was doing bonkers switch to sky 500mb €30 a month. Offered upgrade to 500mb 9 mths half price and 70 for last 3. Tempted but after 8 years think I need to cut the cord and move to sky so I can switch every year. Asked for 12mth half price, no joy so gave cancellation notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

Couple of weeks with Vodafone now and no real difference. New line to the house, 30 minute install, won't be back to VM unless they go cheaper than the €35pm

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I got the text to call them after I cancelled. It goes off on May 5th. They said the half price offer is gone as I had it before so offering me 10 quid off 120. Crazy stuff. I can sign up new contract under my adult daughter for 60 odd quid, or EIR (hate them) is 55 euro a month for 2 years no increases, or maybe look to VF or SKY.

I hate this hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Rustyman101

Had some ordeal cancelling VM today, wasn't interested in a deal, moving to eir 1gb 44 euro for two years, currently paying 68. I'll swap again when eir deal is up had no decent alternative up very recently.

Scandalous that you have to ring to cancel very intimating attitude by the call taker.

Horrible job tbf.

Are those 2 year deals fixed for the 2 years or are they subject to yearly price increases? It isn't easy to see on the site. It certainly would be the deal to go for. VM really need to up their game with the increased availability of ftth.

Yes there is a 3% + Cpi ever April, it's steep enough but been with VM forever just wanted an alternative line so I can chop n change when the time comes, the 500mb deal is cheaper again.

Maybe the 12 month contract would be better only getting the increase once and then changing provider.

Laziness I suppose don't want the grief of dealing with "customer care"

Some dose yesterday, its wrong being subjected to the harassment by these agents when you want to cancel, had the same when I cancelled sky a few years ago, email 30days notice should be enough, grand if you want a deal ring but if you want to go then go no verbals.

I've signed up to Eir ftth, install due on the 17th. I'll give my notice to VM on the 6th giving me some overlap in case the ftth turns out to be unreliable. The cooling off period with Eir starts on the day it goes live. 500 for 35euro 12 month contract.

• Advertisement

Cancellation started, service due to end on the 6th of June. Hopefully the ftth works out🫣, sweating now.

Advertisement