Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's not available anywhere at RRP (as far as I know) but the bidding had hit €80 so far on a few lots here: https://www.whiskeybidders.com/whiskey/green-spot-quails-gate-pinot-noir-cask-finish/186600

I'm assuming they'll do another release later in the year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

I ordered one from masters of malt. 75 delivered to northern Ireland. Could not find any here except for stupid money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Cheers! I might wait for another release so, theres always the auctions I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you can't wait to taste there's samples available from Tiny Tipples and Drinks Hero ... but given the delivery charge you'd probably want to pick out a few others to sample or a full bottle to go with it :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

A couple of times I considered buying from that off licence, but there is regular blatant profiteering in my opinion if you look at some of their pricing. It’s one thing to sell a Midleton from a few years ago above RRP, another thing altogether to charge 495 for the 2023. They won’t get my money…

https://www.drinkshero.com/collections/midleton/products/midleton-very-rare-2025

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've heard it all now.

So, according to twitter, Irish whiskey (with the e) has its grain sourced in sourced in Ireland or USA and Irish whisky has its grain sourced in Scotland, Canada or Japan.

Where do people get this stuff from? Most likely from distillery tour guides or brand ambassadors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

That's makes sense, because both Ireland and United States have an E in them, whereas the others don't

I'd always wondered but been afraid to ask, it's so simple once you see it 😋

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'm glad there's finally a system in place. It had been so confusing up until now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Opened up my bottle of Torabhaig Allt Gleann.

Another 46% relatively young peated whisky from a craft Scottish distillery so not bad to compare it to the Wolfburn. Owned by the small Marussia Beverages group, so it's not independent but part of a stable of fairly niche brands.

This is also pale and pretty naked, no sherry or port finish, just a youngish whisky finished in ex bourbon.

Marketing for this emphasises that it's "heavily" peated, or sometimes it's said to be "robustly" peated. The label touts that the malted barley is at 77 PPM... But the final product is 33 PPM.

Judge for yourselves how heavily peated that actually is. It's in Lagavulin territory in phenol terms I guess.

Definitley young, but pleasant. I'd be curious to revisit this as a 10 year old.

The price point reflects the newness and novelty of this being only the 2nd (?) new distillery on Skye in a couple hundred years, but in value terms people would probably be better off with a value peated whisky like Machir Bay from Kilchoman on Islay, which I'd put in the same general bracket.

This beats the pants off the Wolfburn however.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Just had a sample of ardbeg uigeadail

Absolutely lovely stuff

Can I ask how peated is that to some other stuff like Laphroaig

Thoroughly enjoyed it

• Advertisement

Ardbegs in general are slightly peatier than Laprhoaigs, but not by much, and if you're not very into peaty whiskies the difference in smokiness levels might not be discernable, depending on the particular whisky. Once you get to around 30 PPM, into Talisker and Lagavulin territory, most people who are not especially into heavily peated whiskies will start to describe the whisky as "very smoky" in my experience of offering neighbours tastings of Islay and Island peated whiskies.

If you go by the phenol parts per million (PPM) measure of smokiness (Not always an exact science as it translates to taste) then Ardbeg's line-up is generally reported to be around 50-55 PPM these days, and Laphroaig perhaps 40-50 PPM.

If you like Uigeadail then you certainly woulnd't be put off by any of the current crop of Laprhoaigs, I would say they are all more accessible ... The 10 year old, Lore, Quarter Cask, PX Cask etc. The distillery style is slightly different but I think most people who like one will enjoy the other too.

I have a bottle of current edition Uigeadail and it is probably around 55 if I were guessing. Several years ago I think it was peatier, there was an era where Ardbeg pushed NAS peat levels a bit more, up to 100 PPM in some cases.

I was always thinking peat would be too much

But it adds to the whiskeys in a really good way

Will have to try a few other scotches with peat Influence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Be careful - it's a slippery slope! I'm a big fan of Scottish peated whiskeys. Especially the Islays.

There's some decent mainstream Irish ones too... Connemara and Teeling Blackpitts for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thin Lizzy Irish Whiskey is hitting the shops... on the one hand I guess the family estate getting some money out of it.

On the other hand, given the role booze and the rest played in Phil Lynott's life - the association is a bit off for me.

I think I'll pass.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I wonder how many of those are basically identical customer product from Cooley or Great Northern or whatever under different brands.

Wasn't *that* long ago that it was basically just Connemara variants plus that defunct peated blend that I've forgotten the name of.

I knew there were a hell of a lot more in recent years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yeah, for quite a while, Connemara was the only one.

And for quite a while, all Irish whiskey was spelled with the "e".

And for a long time Ireland only had 3 distilleries.

It's nice that things change, isn't it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Might be of interest...

Celtic Whiskey is offering one lucky Irish Times reader six tickets to Ireland’s biggest whiskey and spirit tasting festival, Whiskey Live Dublin at the RDS this May. The winner will also receive a €200 voucher for Celtic Whiskey Shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I'm fairly new to Irish whiskey, while having a decent collection of scotch.

I've found that in most bars the scotch available isn't really very exciting, a token Laphroaig 10 would be where many establishments start and end.

Was out with the mrs last night and after dinner I was in the mood for some whiskey, too full for pints.

I had a Knappogue Castle 12, found it very red apple skin-ish on the nose, following through to the initial taste then ending out to a fairly pleasant spicy finish, after about 20 mins in the glass I was able to detect some oak and lemony citrus, it was grand but not 8.30 a shot grand.

I then had a Jameson Black Barrel, pleasantly surprised by this, lovely and smooth and a full almost syrupy mouthfeel, I couldn't believe it was only 40% I might get a bottle for the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tech_Head

Black Barrel is one of my go tos to have in the house. You’ve just missed it on offer at €30 a bottle but it drops pretty regularly. Extra strength ones are even nicer. There was a Proof version and there’s a s Cask Strength version too.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Black Barrel is quite a good product.

In the Jameson core line-up I also thought the original Caskmates stout finish was very nice for the price, particularly when on sale. Batch 1 really had a distinctive almost fungal / vegetal nose (I mean that in a good way, honestly). Not sure what the current incarnation is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

at 30 quid it would compete in my mind with Three Swallows, which I absolutely love.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

New Bushmills coming out next week if anyone has a grand or two spare. Nice to see they are 46% as well.

How redbreast 27 is 400 or slightly over and bushmills think a 46% ABv is worth that is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭kuang1

Yeah a bit daft to say the least.

Not even remotely tempted by these.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

Had a glass of the Jameson single pot still earlier tonight. Really nice I thought. Not too sweet. Might have to track down a bottle of my own.

Travelling to Belfast Friday for the weekend folks and will be doing giants causeway

Is bushmills worth doing or all the whiskey for sale in their shop 40% ABv

Not a fan of lower ABv whiskey

Also where should I go up north to get some bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Outside the main supermarkets the vinyard on the Ormeau Road in Belfast have a nice selection of Scotch and Irish and a great selection of wine and beer. I got a Clynelish 14 there recently and I'm really enjoying the waxiness of it. A friend at hand in the city centre is also good - it's mostly if not all Irish Stuff

• Advertisement

I have a good suggestion!

The Friend at Hand is a whiskey shop in the Cathedral Quarter, pretty central... It has a large selection of Irish whiskey and in particular they do a range of their own bottlings which you can only buy in the shop.

I was gifted one, a 13 year old Bushmills, and it was pretty good ... I can't recall exactly, but I think it was 46% abv but I note some of their current range goes up to 55%.

The Friend at Hand Irish Whiskey Shop, Hill Street Belfast Northern Ireland (dukeofyorkbelfast.com)

If you're in the neck of the woods then I would also recommend getting a coffee around the corner at Established Coffee. You can also walk down the road to the Merchant Hotel, which has probably the best cocktail bar in Ireland (A bold claim, but I think it stands up, it was set up by the people involved with The Dead Rabbit in NYC).

Advertisement