Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titleist TSR2 vs Ping G430

Options
  • 18-04-2023 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Has anyone tested both of these drivers. I have the TSR2 currently but seeing some great reviews for the new Ping. The TSR 2 is great on centre hits but not good for my toe misses and spin drops off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭swededmonkey

A mate that's extremely inconsistent off the tee recently picked up the G430 and loves it. He's a short hitter and has picked up an extra 20 yards and hitting a lot more fairways

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Very quick turnaround to drop the TSR2, how long have you had it.

I've been for multiple driver fittings over the years and must be my swing but I've never been able to find a Ping driver that fits my swing.

Always find they spin too much for me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Picking up 20 yards probably means it was a shaft flex/loft change rather than just purely a different Driver brand. It's a massive increase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

Haven't tested it but my local pro said the G430 was a no-brainer for him this year. Same forgiveness as the previous model but better launch/spin window meant a few extra yards. Also sound is much better this time around. His other option was the TSR3 while slightly longer, the Ping was more consistent. He has a very low penetrating ball flight that's super consistent. Perhaps the Ping fits his attributes perfectly.

I tested TSR3 and TSR2 but found no benefit over my TSi3. Didn't get to the G430 this year but I probably wouldn't change, happy enough with my TSi3.

The loft sleeve gives you some options for your TSR2 that might help. Might well be worth exploring some of the tweaks in loft/face angle. Were you fitted for it?

Pretty much this, it was a correct fit for this person. My mate had a similar result with draw bias SFT G425. Went from an automatic slice to straight and baby draws (+20-30 yards and much better into wind).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭kod12

Yep I was fitted for it but the numbers on the day im not seeing on course. I went for a second opinion and spin numbers were too high it was lofted up which was causing the high spin and my miss left so played around with the settings and lofted down to 9.25 and getting better ball speed and carry. I hit up on it a good bit so the lower the better. I got onto the Titleist rep and they are going to switch the 10 degree for 9 degree and see how it goes. Just the reviews on the Ping G430 have been impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Seems odd you were fit into a TSR2 if your miss is left as its a more draw biased club than the TSR3. I got fit into a TSR3 because it was longer and more consistent than the TSR2 plus my bad shot is a hook which was exacerbated by the draw bias of the TSR2. Fitter changed my settings as well to a slight fade bias. Same process with my 3 wood which is TSR3 too.

I tried nearly all the other big brands clubs except Ping, had a look at but just couldn't live with the looks at address of the LST model. The max was pretty bad too, no matter how amazing the club performs I just couldn't live with those looks. I've always though Ping Drivers were ugly personally so am biased but the fins/turbulators plus that new thing on the LS model with yellow accents is really bad IMO.

Ye I hear you on the looks element to it. My miss is a hook aswell have a very in to out club path and hit up on it but have a tendency to roll over the face too much so the 2nd opinion said i should be in a 9 degree head turned down again as the spin was too high. I love the driver feel, but distance wise compared to the Sim 2 I had before is lacking behind. hoping the new lower loft head fixes that

Hopefully that does the trick. I was coming from the OG SIM, didn't gain a huge amount of distance, around about 5/7 yards and club speed up a few mile an hour too. Stealth 2 + and Pardaym LS (i think) were not far behind at all but TSR just outperformed them. With the shaft I have the only issues i've had is if i'm not loose it takes me 3/4 holes before i start getting the most out of it.

Did you go with the HZRDUS or the 1k? I tried a ventus blue velocore in it aswell but not a huge amount of gains so thats back for sale now

• Advertisement

Great to hear that the rep is giving you a lower loft head. That's good customer service tbf. A pity the fitting scenario didn't match up for you IRL.

I know that the TSR3 has the weight track for adding slight draw/fade bias but it's missing on the TSR2. Would have been a nice option to move the weight to see if the head stabilised. Still, that head might have been useless for your swing and needs. I hit up about 4-5' so a lower loft option works better for me. I've a mate who's 6'3" with tons of speed and obviously the longer leverage. You'd think he'd be in an 8 or 9 head but he plays a stock 10.5 head. His path is very neutral and he also has a close to zero AoA (tees quite low tbf). So the loft works perfectly for his spin/launch needs.

Curious to see how the lower lofted head works out for you. I know some people get 10.5 heads and play them lofted down as it works better with face angle compared to a stock 9 head. Fitting is such an interesting process for me. There are so many options and everyone has different needs/attributes.

Ye was a nice touch from Titleist no questions asked new club given. The fitting process is so dependent on a number of factors and how you were swinging on the day. I have got lessons since on reducing dynamic loft which 100% played a part in it too.

Funny enough i'm in the HZRDUS black in the driver but Tensei 1K in the 3 wood. I hit the blue velocore as well and same results, slight increase in club speed and an extra couple of yards but couldn't justify the price at the time. I see one on adverts that i'm tempted to buy just to see how it works on the course.

Thats my add on adverts. I will do you a good price 😀

Ah! Small world 😃 might drop you a PM on here so.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

What parts of the swing are changing on a day to day basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It would be more in strike, contact and ball flight that would change more than the swing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

How then would the results of the fitting process be different one day from the next, one week from the next or one month from the next?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Well I'd imagine the fitter will fit the clubs based on what he's seeing in front of him, ie poor striking - less distance - different ball flight etc.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

12 hcap. Moved a month ago from the g400 which I had no general issues with to g430 and it's giving me a touch more in distance, noticeable in generally my approaches on par 4s are a full club or more less after a well hit drive

Got fitted on a ping day in craddockstown having read all the articles, seen the results on the tours which piqued my interest

Was expecting to be fitted for the sft as my miss is a fade. Had the g400 at lowest loft and a flexible shaft. In the end the g430 max with stiff shaft returned the best numbers (Seemingly my swing speed isn't as slow as I though). The stats were throwing up on average 18 metres more and less dispersion, good enough revs to work on getting down.

The Titleist looks gorgeous imo but the ping has been a great buy for me

• Advertisement
Advertisement