Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Looking at the Wikipedia page for the series, I've played all the mainline (non-mobile) games but I don't have strong memories of the stories or gameplay.

Driver 1: I read years later that the tutorial in the underground carpark was challenging and some players couldn't progress, but I don't remember it being an issue when I played it originally. Overall a cool game with gritty 3D driving before GTA made the jump.

Driver 2: You could get out of the car! Came out a week before the PS2 launched and got lost in the excitement. I must have played it using backward compatibility (once I'd put down SSX).

Driv3r: More like Driver 3/10 lol. Controversy over the Eurogamer score, and Tommy Vercetti with armbands (because you couldn't swim in GTA) are my main memories.

Parallel Lines: Sealings by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Lost interest in the game and didn't finish it.

San Francisco: Can't get out of the car again, but you can quantum leap instead. Binged for a week, got all but the online achievements, never played again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't think the controversy was over the eurogamer score. 3/10 was probably too generous for that piece of ****. It was more they playstation magazines that gave the game 9/10's.

Am def in a gaming lull, haven't been entertained for a while. God of War 2 bored me. I have Jedi Falken Order downloaded, i may go straight to Horizon instead but what I'd really love is some Rockstar open world, with plenty of humour.

I see Death Stranding 2 had a trailer a while back, I'll always play Kojima but a strong chance it would bore me too. I'd have little interest in going back to carrying boxes and stumbling over rocks.

Surprised we haven't had a MGS6 announcement by now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Open world burn out is a thing. The games tend to waste your time and get by on skinner box mechanics rather than being fun. I suggest taking a break from them and either pursuing other hobbies or playing different types of games. A straight up action game or indie that interests you. I've actually really started to enjoy gaming again due to actively not playing the usual open world games.

As for MGS6, bad news, the series is pretty much dead since Kojima left Konami. There's rumours of a MGS3 remake but there won't be a MGS6 for a long time, if ever.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Try Inside. It's brilliant and short. Perfect.

I also got that Kloona remastered collection thingy recently (Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series). It's nice to get back to video games that don't pretend to be real life simulators. Thanks to a @Retr0gamer suggestion a while back. It's not up to Mario class platforming, but I'm currently on the first game in the package. I believe the 2nd game is better.

When I play a video game like this I immediately accept it for what it is and I'm not getting distracted by thoughts of "that facial expression was a bit off" or "where does he store all the stuff that he picks up, he must have 100 guns on him at this stage", or "when will this ever end", or analysis paralysis over what weapon etc to use.

+100 for the pure, simple video game experience.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

I picked up Dredge for my Steam Deck and I havent touched anything since, its open world but doesnt overstay its welcome, great little gem

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I did manage to beat the tutorial parking garage thing in Driver. My main memory of the game was the absolute chaos in the final mission. You're driving a limo, possibly with the President in it, and the game becomes more like Destruction Derby than anything else. Got pinned up against walls every time with cars just constantly belting into the pile. It was mayhem.

Driver 2 was fun, I really enjoyed the map and location of it at the time. Plus you could get out on foot and swap cars, which was mindblowing at the time. Don't think I played any of the others after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Driver 1 remake would be unreal. Keep it simple, great driving mechanic, fun missions and banging 70's music. The director mode to film chases was brilliant. I remember the tutorial being tricky but never thought it caused problems as much as it did. The last mission however was mental. Pure fluke to clear that on whatever attempt it was.

Just looked up a vid, gameplay still looks legit but it has not aged well on the eyes :)

I remember my young, dumb brain thinking a 3D driving game like that would never work because you wouldn't be able to see when you're meant to turn in a city (obviously the likes of racing games you're on a set track). That GTA 1&2 had it right with the top down view, but a 3D game like that would be impossible to navigate.

Y'know... like the actual 3D world we live in...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I had Driver 2 and think I finished it, but it was Reflections' follow-up game Stuntman that really pumped up the difficulty to absurd levels for me. A mix of really particular driving physics and exacting time requirements made it a nightmare to finish well.

I think I only ever managed to scrape by the final mission once, but it's the Whoopin' and a Hollerin' nitro jump level that left scars that remain to this day.

• Advertisement

Playing Disco Elysium for the first time. Yes once again, I spend a fortune on a new PC only to play a game that even my phone probably beats the recommended spec 😁 But hey, I'm enjoying gaming a lot these days that's all that counts.

It's the final cut which I think has added voice acting, or can anyone tell me was there always voice acting and they've just expanded the amount of dialogue with voices? I'm not sure I'm mad on it. If it was left to my own inner voice I wouldn't be be putting English accents on them all. They seem too posh or something, even the scouser brat kids. If I turn of voices is it back to the original version?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It always had some voice acting, but the original version wasn't fully voiced - some key moments / characters were more fully voiced, and there were small little character soundbites to accompany dialogue. The final cut adds a lot more voice acting, but they also replaced and recast some voice actors too AFAIK. I only played the original so can't comment on whether the changes were for the better or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I played either Driver 3 or Parallel Lines on the original Xbox. ( I forget which and I'm not going to break out the Xbox just to find out) I have fond memories of playing it as I had my own sound track playing rather than the games as I played on a modded Xbox and could have my own music playing in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Got open world burnout after playing AC3 and FC3 one after the other. Possibly just Ubisoft burnout. Both were a slog to finish. Managed to avoid open world games until I gave Witcher 3 a try and got hooked again and did two full playthroughs (with expansions) one after the other.

Wouldn't say I got burnout a second time, but I've been purposefully avoiding open worlds in case I do. Currently playing Borderlands 3 which is kinda open world. Elden Ring intrigues me but I gave up on DS2 a few hours in a good few years back so not sure how I'd fair.

It wasn't Driver 3. Nobody has fond memories of Driver 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

foooking koono!

great game, the dynamic with your partner, kim was cool, in that I genuinely felt bad if I said something he disapproved of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

This is probably why I'll never get into them, combat aside so. Story is an important part for me. It's the reason to play the game, especially ones penned as a single player experience. A good story can get me through bad gameplay, and rarely does it go the other way. And if I have to YouTube something to understand the story, then imo it's not telling a good story. Probably why I prefer the games I do. I can see now why you really don't like the standard AAA stuff, because a lot of them are story focused with padding. Whether that story is something a person likes or not is subjective. I would have given up on HFW before now if I didn't want to know how it ends. One of the main reason for stopping Elden Ring is I didn't feel like there was a reason to keep going because it was so... lacking in traditional gaming story telling.

Each to their own and all that.

I'm a bit in-between. I'd be the same that story can definitely be an important piece of the puzzle for me, and a good story will get me through a mediocre (or even sometimes bad) game. I like getting invested in the world, I like knowing there's a reason for what I'm doing other than just "It's the next area and there's a boss at the end of it". And as games have advanced, I love the effort they put in with motion capture and performances, and how that translates to gaming.

Game stories will never match TV or movie stories. The Last Of Us is one of the best stories in games, but the TV show has demonstrated what can be accomplished with a TV show that you can't do in a game, with more focus on side characters and their stories, limiting action so it matters more when it happens rather than your character just being an insane superhero who can take down hordes of enemies, and just more time to focus on story and characters without having to be interrupted with action/gameplay all the time. But that's not to say games can't have incredible stories packed full of detailed lore. The likes of Legacy of Kain, Metal Gear Solid etc, story is a vital piece of the puzzles. As cheesy and hilariously awful as it is, I love the story in the Devil May Cry games. I love the characters and their interactions, I love how they use the cheese and action in cutscenes to their advantage, and the story just adds that sprinkle of fun on top of the already fun game. I love being given a reason to dislike the boss I'm about to fight. Whereas in Souls games, there was a tweet around the same time as Elden Ring where someone pointed out that reaching bosses in Elden Ring, they're named Floogol The Undying, and when you beat them say things like "Forgive me Lord Zanzibart..." and you're just standing there thinking "Who are you? Who the f*ck is Zanzibart?"

The vast majority of the story in Soulsborne games went way over my head. I loved watching the VaatiVidya breakdowns about all the lore and details. But they are games that story is just a far smaller piece of the puzzle. It's there, and you can engage with it as more as little as you want, but it also effects very little. It's far more told through the environment

That being said, one of my favourite moments in Elden Ring was figuring out a detail of the story through the environmental storytelling; something I just thought was a beautiful lore detail that I wasn't even looking for, but it hit hard, and is the kind of thing some games would break their back trying to explain in a boring cutscene. As much as I enjoy Horizon, many of the cutscenes go on way too long, and with Horizon FW especially, when the dialogue wheel came up to ask for more information on smaller details, most of the time I just selected "I have to go now" and peace'd out. A lot of it is just more dialogue for the sake of it and rarely gave any pertinent details that hadn't already been addressed. Finding that story detail in Elden Ring myself through the environmental storytelling had a far greater effect than if I just had a character explaining it.

I honestly wouldnt be counting any open world game as a great story driven game, the fact you can ignore the story and plod on and nobody queries why your gone for the last month or so collecting sticks to get a better weapon removes immersion. Its almost why games like Elden Ring etc almost have a better story as its all about the world itself and the goings on in the world not what character does day to day.

Hogwarts was a prime example of this , Effectively a student but part time murderer and nobody asks why your a mental case.

For me a story driven game has to just be go here do this and why, effectively chapters, silent hill 2, bioshock, last of us are all perfect examples.

Horizon, spiderman, any assassins creed, ragnarok are all examples of wayyyyy too much padding to build any semblence of an immersive narrative regardless of fancy cameras.

TLDR " if i can feck off for majority of the game and nobody cares then its a poor story

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

I think story is important in some game genres, but not as important as to stand in the way of good gameplay, which is more importanter :) This is why we have great games with weak, stock, non-existing on nonsensical stories which are still great because of the great gameplay. Games like Doom, Elden Ring, Returnal.

• Advertisement

There's nothing stopping a great video game story being told within an open-world environment. Outer Wilds is one of the best video game stories and unfolds based on the player's own exploration of a large space, even if the design of the game has been cleverly tailored to encourage that.

Even something like Witcher 3 is a good example of storytelling within an open world, although I'd argue that's more pockets of interesting storytelling within a large space rather than necessarily a story that demands or actively uses an open world.

Still, it's a hard thing to do - and I don't think most developers even try particularly hard to fit the story into the open world form. And you're always going to have dissonance when there's some big, dramatic, world-ending menace or threat at the centre of the story... but the game gives you ample time to go off and do some relaxed side quests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭quokula

It's your choice to feck off though. Literally any game in existence that gives you a character to control allows you to do things off-plot. There is a clear well developed mainline story to follow through in Horizon and Spiderman. Ragnarok not so much as it meanders all over the place). If a story doesn't count just because you can optionally take a break from it and do other things then by extension that would mean TV shows can't have a story then because you have a whole week of nothing happening between each episode.

The ludonarrative dissonance you describe in Hogwarts Legacy (which is the only game you mention that I haven't played so I'm just going from your description) is a completely separate thing from open world vs linear - Uncharted has always been the poster boy for that problem and it's a completely linear game. And indeed the examples you gave of Horizon and Spiderman don't suffer from this problem at all, the actions of both protagonists make perfect sense in context - in fact one of the biggest criticisms of Aloy tends to be that she's lacking in humanity and obsessed with her mission at the expense of all else, which is a decision the devs made to make her personality a match for the gameplay, one that they went to great lengths justifying with her origin story in the early part of the first game.

There are plenty of other examples of great story driven open world games - Witcher, Tsushima and Red Dead come to mind. I wouldn't say games need to be limited to one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've often found when the story isn't there, or not up to much, my brain starts filling in the gaps.

Sometimes big AAA games have too much going on. Sometimes less is more.

X-Com 2 is a good example. Where you start to get attached to characters you created, despite there being no story points involving them, no cut scenes etc. to illicit this connection.

It's just my brain filling in the blanks and building something very enjoyable. 😂

Ghost of Tsushima had an absolutely terrifc story, and the side characters and their quests were all really well told and felt like they meant something. It was really a case of the story adding to the game.

Sure, there's definitely a disconnect where you're being told you have to get somewhere quickly, big attack about to go down..... better just follow this fox..... oh look, I can write a haiku over there too.... Open-world games are always going to require that allowance where the story being told is one of great importance and urgency, but also you can just go ahead and do what you want, no panic.

I always just try to see story as an additive; something which adds to the gameplay, adds to the world, adds to the narrative. I'd prefer a strong story over 8K RAYTRACING HDR 'YOUR CHARACTER'S PUPILS DILATE WHEN THEY'RE FACING THE SUN' 'YOUR CHARACTER REALISTICALLY UPGRADES THEIR WEAPON AND IT'S PERFECTLY ACCURATE AND FULLY ANIMATED' bullsh*t.

I would say Spiderman suffers from say you could in effect if you want go days without helping fightcrime which is happening all the time as you collect backpacks and nobody questions it or wonders why spiderman is on a jollyer. The only way you rectify this is make a non open world spiderman, which would be fairly rubbish as swinging is great craic.

Often in games some storyline or area is stuck until your a certain level which forces you to do the dogs work instead of just continuing with the story from start to finish.

TV shows that pick up slightly after what's happened in the previous episode brings continuity to the viewer, now if an ep of the sopranos showed Tony taking someone out, next week shows him chopping wood building a hut and upgrading his guns then the following week shows the aftermath of the murder that would be problematic and called out as such. But its why we love games as well as TV shows

Just as an FYI I don't really mind open world but they are not the story epics they claim to be, I hold Silent hill 2 up as the shining light to story driven games, I would like more games in that ilk.

I'd go so far as to say most videogame stories are really bad. Watching the Last of Us with the girlfriend and watching her get bored of it as it was so familiar to her was eye opening. There's very few games I'd hold up as having actual good storytelling. Stuff like Inside, Silent Hill 2, Shadow of the Colossus etc. are outliers. I see a few games getting mentioned here that I would consider to have very middling storytelling such as Horizon and Ghost of Tsushima.

Most videogame writers make the same mistakes. Mountains of Lore are mistaken for depth. Twists are considered big emotional moments in stories where they build up a character to have them killed or become the bad guy when these twists are pretty much narrative jump scares. On the other hand I can't really fault these games stories as they aren't exactly offensively bad (looking at you Metal Gear Solid 4) and do the job of moving the plot along, serving their purpose and enhancing the game.

While I do love my videogame narrative presented through gameplay and the environment it's also something very difficult to do. Cutscenes are a lot easier. And I've even seen some slip ups when games tried to present story through gameplay, my bugbear with the operating room scene in Last of Us. As an aside, while I think Last of Us 2 is a much weaker game narratively than the first game it's way better at organically weaving story into its gameplay and cinematics.

I don't really think game stories can be judged on the same metric as TV, films or books though. The main aim of stories, particularly in AAA open-world games, is to give you a reason to go to the next area. You do a mission, find an item, ability, information or whatever that allows you to go to the next area. Rinse and repeat. The flow of the story and narrative should always follow the flow of the gameplay design. The story follows the progression in terms of difficulty, enemies, abilities etc. Some open world games (BOTW, Elden Ring) are about the exploration and doing things off your own back. Others like Ghost of Tsushima & Horizon are about the story sheparding you further through the game as you progress, and allowing you to do some side stuff/exploring in between.

There can definitely be an overabundance of unneccessary lore and world-building. A big issue I had with Horizon Zero Dawn was going through some of the areas where you're just plagued by holograms of characters over-explaining everything, but to the point where you'd just have to stand and listen and wait for them to finish. 2 rooms later, their hologram would pop up again. Then again, I remember playing the first Destiny game, thinking how beautiful the world they created seemed, and being annoyed that the entire story and lore seemed to be locked behind lore cards which could only be read online or through an app.

It's a harder thing to balance than in TV/movies, because with games you have to balance the active & passive sides of the game. It's why I said I always see story as an additive. TV/movies the story has to be first and foremost. Games, it can add and enhance, but aside from purely narrative-driven games (such as the Telltale games), it should always be lower on the list.

Lore and lore codex need to go die in a fire. Everytime a game has mountains of extra lore you have to read through or else force on the player it immediately makes the world less interesting than my mind made it out to be. It's actively damaging to the experience. A lot of games and film sequels also go heavy on lore and become less interesting than the original. The Chronicles of Riddick films spring to mind compared to the original pitch black. (The actual videogame follow up prequel escape from butcher bay I found worked way better).

I know devs are in love with their lore bibles and it seems a waste not to include it in the game but it's always better to leave it out. Less is more.

Horizon has a story that really apes one of my favourite videogame stories, panzer dragoon saga and it's so much less effective than that game due to the lore dumps. PDS on the other hand deals with how the characters live and survive in the world with the lore being told through the environment.

Again there's a lessen her for videogame writers. The interesting thing about narratives are the people and how they react to situations and environments. The how and why the world became the way it is is never as interesting and often boring but it's often the focus of narratives.

God of war succeeds here. It doesn't dwell on how kratos got to where he is or how his personality changed and more focuses on his relationship with his son and dealing with grief in the world of Norse mythology.

I often start off trying to read letters, listen to audiologs etc, but far too often there are just so many of them saying the same thing is slightly different ways, and they're not even important anyway... Most of the time I just pick them up to remove the icon/symbol for them.

I started the new Horizon DLC last night, and there's a part where you have to figure out a doorcode by listening to recordings and reading different bits of text to find certain numbers. About half the things, at the end Aloy or the other character would just go "Well, there was no part of the code in that one, let's move on to the next...."

WELL WHY THE F*CK DID YOU FORCE ME TO LISTEN TO IT THEN? I get that it's a way to give information and background on the villain and why he's a bad guy, but it was completely overdone and unnecessary, and killed the flow of gameplay.

Then again, when you consider the storytelling in Souls games, it's almost all told through item descriptions etc, half the time I never read or there are so many item descriptions that are interconnected in small ways that I can't really retain enough of the information to piece it all together. Hence VaatiVidya...

• Advertisement

The worst is mass effect. Every time I dive into the codex I find out that the sci Fi works they created gets even more generic and feels like the work of DnD nerds. I actually started to enjoy the game and it clicked when I stopped reading them.

As for audio logs and notes, they work sometimes in immersive sims but we have had them since 1994s system shock and they have changed so little that immersive some fans call them 0451 games which is always the code of the first door you come across. It works in a setting with lots of scientists or in thief which is a medieval setting but it felt really out place in deathloop.

Advertisement