Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

As I said you're the only one being emotional about this, I simply stated my observation on historical rhythm, and you insist on continuing to dig at nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You're comparing those who don't agree with trans-women competing in female competition with racists and now eugenicists, clearly with nothing to back it up and don't like being called out on it, re-quoting my posts doesn't add anything here. Again, if you want to actually argue those points, you can start backing it up, there has been no "historical rhythm" to gender, weight and disability sport categories except to add them and allow others to compete at sports as well.

no "historical rhythm" to gender, weight and disability sport categories except to add them and allow others to compete at sports as well.

That's a fine strawman but that's clearly not what I said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

History might suggest creation of another category for those ineligible for the female categories but at a disadvantage in the male category either through hormone suppression or not having gone through male puberty.

The paralympics rather than the negro leagues would be the more relevant historical example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭plodder

Here the body indicates they are making a decision on shaky principle that is open to being changed in the future. Hell they don't actually give any specificity on the nature of their ruling ("accounting for and balancing a range of factors").

I kind of agree with you on that. These decisions are always going to be controversial because there is no way to objectively balance fairness against inclusivity. They are completely different things. Until women are prepared to stand up and demand the right to their own category in sport, this won't go away.

I don't think you know what you're saying anymore hence the absurdity of bringing eugenics and the negro leagues into it. It means next time you call someone racist, you won't be taken seriously.

To give your argument one final shove into oblivion:

Countries without race problems also have gender, weight and disability categories for sport, implying that the negro leagues occurring in a country with a racism problem somehow means that gender categories will be revisited is absurd, you may as well proclaim the earth could be flat for all the relevance it has.

We'll leave the eugenics argument alone, I'm not sure what you were thinking there.

In other news, there is now a non-inclusive World Transplant Games starting today and an ultra-runner of previous good standing has been disqualified for use of a car to come third in a competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

"In other news, there is now a non-inclusive World Transplant Games starting today and an ultra-runner of previous good standing has been disqualified for use of a car to come third in a competition."

He'll be on the right side of history, you'll see..😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

A lot of plebes similarly think they are armchair experts about gender-specific lung capacity etc. today.

Seems comparable to me.

🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

To give your argument one final shove into oblivion:

You’re not shoving the argument anywhere though, you’re completely avoiding it by claiming it’s absurd, and then not addressing it at all. The point of making the comparison is on the basis of protection from discrimination against people in in society on the basis of their characteristics or membership of a particular group, in Western society anyway, particularly what have become known as the grounds of discrimination in human rights law.

In other news, there is now a non-inclusive World Transplant Games starting today and an ultra-runner of previous good standing has been disqualified for use of a car to come third in a competition.

You made that facetious analogy before, but couldn’t stick the landing then, and it’s still not any way comparable. You’d have to go the opposite way - an athlete who competes in the World Transplant Games who wants to compete in the Olympics, and whether or not they would have an unfair advantage over other competitors from other countries. That argument was floated when Oscar Pistorius competed in the Olympics.

I have no doubt that similar arguments would be made if an athlete wished to compete in a sporting event where they were perceived to have an advantage on the basis that they had a fresh set of pre-loved organs transplanted only a year earlier, if they started winning competitions.

Arguments opposed to their participation wouldn’t be based upon scientific evidence, no more than the arguments to prohibit athletes who are transgender from competing in sports with athletes who aren’t transgender, are based upon scientific evidence. They’re based entirely upon the assumption that permitting athletes who are transgender to compete in accordance with their preferred gender would be detrimental to the sport. Same tired old arguments that were used against women, against anyone who isn’t white, against anyone who is perceived in some way to have an advantage, which fuels accusations of doping, when just plain sexism, racism and homophobia don’t make for credible arguments worthy of being considered legitimate, incontrovertible scientific evidence, as opposed to just bullshìt excuses.

• Advertisement

a) that point of comparison doesn't work because it was in one country which had a huge racism problem, the reason it was being used was to try and paint it as a racism issue when it isn't. "At best" the poster is implying that the science behind male and female differences in sporting ability is science that will end up debunked somehow when there is no scientific basis for it. The argument is purely inclusion and all that brings or fairness and all that brings, those arguing on the inclusion side fail when their argument is brought to it's logical conclusion (no gender, weight, disability categories anymore).

b) I haven't had a transplant, is it ethical for me to compete in the transplant games? Or maybe use a car to run the 100m because that's how fast I feel I can go. The reasons the games exist is because transplants take a huge toll on the body and in most but not all cases, athletes performance is degraded afterwards, this is a chance for them to draw attention to transplants (and getting people to tick the box to allow more to occur) and compete against people who have been through similar experiences.

It becomes an argument into the absurd and arguments about living the life or the % being small don't work because fundamentally what is occurring is unfair and as long as fairness has primacy in sport, the rules and regulations will be changed accordingly (as I predicted back near the beginning of this thread) to try and paint multiple sporting organisations worldwide as either racists, eugenicists or transphobes doesn't work and isn't credible.

And it is an awful situation to be in that someone, through no fault of their own, is unable to compete at the top levels in sport in their assigned gender because it's unfair to the other athletes, but no science or time will change that because once you accept the science, then the rules will also be entirely driven by science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Whats the point here?

Are you trying to say because there isnt many millenia worth of information on trans athleticism then its not possible to say that a MTF trans athlete has or could have advantages over natural women athletes?

Above is a listing of current Olympic world records in athletics fields.

In every one, every single one, men hold "better" records than women. Do you think thats a coincidence or could it be because biologically, the average male athlete will be physically stronger / bigger than the average female athlete?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭batman_oh

He's literally posting absolute nonsense and then resorting to racism etc. because there is no coherent argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,883 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Just to note that while the records look comparable, the men's shot put, discuss, and hammer are about twice the weight of the women's, (and the javelin is 1 and a half times the weight)

Came across this bit of trivia while looking that up:

the technique used to throw the javelin is dictated by World Athletics rules and "non-orthodox" techniques are not permitted.... This prevents athletes from attempting to spin and hurl the javelin sidearm in the style of a discus throw. This rule was put in place when a group of athletes began experimenting with a spin technique referred to as "free style". On 24 October 1956, Pentti Saarikoski threw 99.52 m (326 ft 6 in)[10] using the technique holding the end of the javelin. Officials were so afraid of the out of control nature of the technique that the practice was banned through these rule specifications

Read the thread I think we’ve long been over that.

You’re all welcome to disagree and go off in the echo chamber, but discriminated people are never discriminated against forever, science changes, history repeats. That’s the real thrust of what I said, I can see what people have latched onto with ironic memes- a recent as a century example of this happening. You all are making a storm in a teacup here over the citation

Wishing you the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Generally the people advocating for males to play in women's sport seem to think that women just need to try harder and they could beat those records, stop being so sexist etc etc. They are in denial of biological reality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Enduro

IIRC in Overheal's case their preference was that the Female category should be eliminated so that everyone competes together, and as a result of this females would "evolve" over time to become competitive. It's back in this thread somewhere. But then they do admit that they don't have a clue about sports.

So you couldn't answer the question, or you're avoiding answering the question? I've seen you fail to comprehend the diference between gender and sex before on this thread, which is why I'm asking.

The threads getting unduly heated so in the interest of keeping it on topic I will not be addressing ad hominem questions. Sounds like you’ve read the thread so the question must be somewhat rhetorical anyway. I don’t know you from Adam.

Cool soundbite chief but it doesnt remotely answer the question that I asked, its just more obfuscation and avoidance from you.

So for the avoidance of doubt, can you answer either or both of these questions below?

1) Are you trying to say because there isnt many millenia worth of information on trans athleticism then its not possible to say that a MTF trans athlete has or could have advantages over natural women athletes?

2) Do you think thats a coincidence or could it be because biologically, the average male athlete will be physically stronger / bigger than the average female athlete?

• Advertisement

Did my last post send?

What an incredible, but not unexpected, cop-out. I have read the thread, and have made a few posts in the thread along the way.

Allowing or disallowing someone to compete in a sports category is not discimination if the catagories are not in themselves discrimatory, but have valid reasons for existing to enable sporting fairness. That's why categories exist on the basis of weight, age, sex, and other criteria, but are not considered disciminatory. There are good reasons for that. But then I'm not sure that you complete lack of knowledge of sports allows you to comprehend this.

The vagaries of (ironically binaray) American politics which you are obesssed with are irrelevant to this wider global reality.

Yet again proving what you've already told us.... that you have no knowledge of sports. That's a technological ahcievment, not a sporting achievement, as would be clear to anyone with an undertanding of either.

They already of course are, demanding leagues that are trans exclusionary.

in the sense paralympians are case by case and trans athletes are case by case I agree with you there. Sadly that’s only every few years, and there’s not a special league for one 11 year old girl in Tennessee in the sport she plays (track and field), nor would that be a practical solution for allowing persons to keep their civil rights while enjoying physical activity.

Given the example hormone therapy, that is likely to change, improve etc. with time and gender affirming care with it, and the particulars of the cases.

A male being excluded from a womans race (while free to enter the male category) is not experiencing discrimination.

They are failing to meet entry requirements of a sporting event.

If you show up to a bicycle race without a bicycle you will also fail to meet entry requirements. Is this discrimination?

No one having entered a bike race identifying as a bicycle I reject the premise of the strawman.

So once again, when asked a very simple question you side step it. Your entire stance and this entire argument is a house of sand, you know it, I know it, everybody posting in here knows it, but rather than concede a miniscule amount, you turn your back on the sea, put your fingers in your ears and screech, even as the tide washes around your ankles. The entire idea of it being fair to allow men to compete against women is bullshyt. Thankfully the world at large is now accepting this and are not allowing themselves to be bullied and shut down by the lunatic fringe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Transwomen being excluded from female races is basically the exact same thing as able bodied people being excluded from the paralympics.

So that’s a yes it did send or

The entire idea of it being fair to allow men to compete against women is bullshyt.

strange idea, as we’ve been discussing women competing against women. Not the crap you’re on about.

Im sure women are gonna love this take: “Women are to men what paralympians are to athletes”

• Advertisement

I don't consider it a pejorative judgement to say women are at an athletic disadvantage to men and I don't consider it a pejorative judgement to say paralympians are at an athletic disadvantage to olympians.

I don't know about you, but I don't consider women or paralympians to be "lesser" in any form, and I just want everyone to have the opportunity to excel and be their best within their own fair category.

I don't know about you, but I don't consider women or paralympians to be "lesser" in any form

thats in direct contradiction to your previous statement. Are you recanting your previous statement or standing behind it.

Women would just rather there was no discussion and they could compete fairly with other women.

As for plebs discussing lung capacity it's plebs quoting people such as Ross Tucker who the WRU, among others, relied upon in banning biological males from women's rugby.

Could I identify as an African American? A Mexican?

Women would just rather there was no discussion and they could compete fairly with other women.

Women are indeed just trying to do that. Then lo and behold those women win a swimming race and suddenly plebes are up in arms that she won…

Could I identify as an African American? A Mexican?

go for it I don’t know who you are from Adam anyway - I frequently identify as the pope, myself (see my post history). Not sure what it’s got to do with the topic. Rachel Dolezal says hello.

No it isn't.

I don't think Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce is a lesser person or athlete just because she wouldn't even quality for an Olympics without sex segregation.

Women are indeed just trying to do that. Then lo and behold those women win a swimming race and suddenly plebes are up in arms that she won…

If you include women with dicks that is.

I see you ignored Ross Tucker and the science again

I thought the topic was people born men electing to change their identity to live their lives as women and compete in sporting events against people born and living as women.

Would that be a fair summation there hoss or has something eluded me?🤔

What’s penises have to do with it? Besides Riley Gaines allegedly upset at seeing one that is.

The comment seems very transphobic. “The science” is about testosterone not penises.

Like I said earlier today to someone else, I will not entertain tit for tat on thread, “hoss”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

Are paralympians not considered athletes in your book?

Minor typographical supplement, apropos to what was being replied to: able-bodied athletes vs. paralympians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

The previous record was set in 1995 - 23 years previous (this record was set in 2018). The changes in bike frames, and more importantly gearing, have been huge since 1995. The average speed in the Tour de France increases by around 0.42% each year. If you take that as a metric, the speed increase would be circa 9.66% over a 23-year period. The previous record set in 1995 was 167mph and if you apply the average TDF speed increase of 9.66% in the period, the expected speed would be 183.13mph - her record was 183.9.

Secondly, a lot of this record is about control and not raw power as they are towed for the first two miles of the five-mile course and released at a speed of over 100 mph. It's worth noting the article doesn't say she released at 100mph, it says she released at a speed over 100mph. This could be 100.05mph, or it could be 112mph - this has a huge impact.

The reason I am pointing this out is that you chose a very specialised event to demonstrate that a woman is capable of beating a man in a sporting event. I wonder how many people attempt it, and how often - a very limited sample is nowhere near as accurate a predictor versus a large sample set.

It's also worth pointing out that aerodynamics plays a significant role in this, and women are slighter and more compact, therefore, it would give them an advantage - It's hard to quantify whether this advantage equalises, or is more of an advantage, compared to the extra power a man has. I'm only pointing this out as IMO, to use this as proof that a woman could beat a man physically, is flawed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

a) The point of comparison does work, because the basis of the comparison is common to both circumstances, ie - discrimination, and whether or not that discrimination can be justified. The point being made is that ‘the science’ which was used then to justify discrimination, just didn’t stand up to scrutiny. Scientific research later showed that the arguments being used to support discrimination had no scientific merit. Didn’t take a genius to work that out in the first place, but hey ho. There is no contradiction whatsoever between fairness and inclusion, because the basis of what is fair or unfair can only be determined by including everyone first, and then determining what constitutes fair or unfair treatment, based upon reasonable grounds, as opposed claims that discrimination is supported by scientific evidence. That’s just plain old pseudoscience -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_racism

b) You’re doing it again, by asking is it ethical for you to compete in the Transplant Games, when the question is rather whether or not it is fair to exclude a person who’s received a transplant from competing in the Olympic Games or athletics competitions organised by the WA or any other sporting body on the basis that their new organs confer an unfair advantage over their competitors. Evidence could only be anecdotal at best, particularly if they were winning competitions. Anecdotal evidence could not legitimately be considered scientific evidence. You can’t argue that there’s anyone seeking an organ transplant to compete in the World Transplant Games so there’s no reason to assume anyone is claiming to be transgender solely because they’re a bit shìt in the category they are limited to by current rules, created not by nature, biology nor science, but by man, or, humans at least (I don’t mean to labour the point, merely to cover all the bases, I’m sure you get the idea), and they want to hoover up all the medals in a category in which they would be perceived to have any advantage whatsoever, ignoring the glaringly obvious disadvantage that, well, they’re assumed to be cheating right from the off merely because of their participation, and any achievements they make in their chosen sport will be tarnished with accusations of cheating or having an unfair advantage over other competitors.

Neither science nor time nor any sort of technological progress will have any bearing on the ability of anyone to compete in the category of their preferred gender, simply because those are not the factors which inhibit their participation.

The factor which inhibits their participation are the rules of the governing bodies of any sport. Those decisions are absolutely not driven by science, they are driven by political ideology, one which means that competition is limited to regarding sports competitions as a demonstration of superiority, and you can’t do that if you’re just going to allow anyone to compete, because then you can’t demonstrate how superior you are to everyone else if everyone else can demonstrate that they can do the same thing as you can do! Kinda tears the arse outta the whole concept really, that’s why it’s necessary to exclude people and call it being fair to everyone, because events like the Olympics where there are eight times as many media people for every athlete are big money generators where most of the actual participants won’t get any financial benefit, they’ll be lucky to go home with a goodie bag they can flog on eBay to fund their further development and career in their chosen sport, while large corporates use the events to advertise their latest products, and then there’s the odd upstart who tries to use the event to further their own political ideology, knowing that it’s being broadcast to a global audience.

However, as a martial artist who has trained for decades in various combat sports, I do have an issue with transgender athletes in combat sports. Running a race, or swimming, and so forth is one thing, but when you have a biological male against a woman, the risk of injury, and even death is significantly increased. Likewise, if you have a biological woman competing with men, the same applies.

This I agree on. And we haven't been discussing any of those examples, we've been discussing women claiming tort injuries from trans women competing in races, swimming, track and field and so forth, not contact rugby/football or MMA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Took the words right out of my mouth there.

From the article:

Because of the extreme gearing of the bike, Mueller-Korenek was towed for the first two miles of the five-mile course behind a dragster driven by Shea Holbrook, a professional racecar driver. At a speed of over 100 mph, Mueller-Korenek released the cable attaching her bike to the rear of Holbrook’s car and pedaled the remaining three miles on her own. She benefited from the aerodynamic boost provided by the dragster, speeding along just inches ahead of her front wheel.

Great achievement all the same, but sod all to do with the sex of the cyclist.

Hold on a minute, If trans women are real women (according to you), and as such have no physical advantage over natural born women, why do you have an issue with them competing in combat sports but not other sports? If they have no advantages in swimming, track and field, racing etc then surely that means they have no advantages in any sports, including combat sports?

I'll point out (having been interested in the science behind land speed records) that this record is more about the equipment and safety of cycling a low friction bike on a very flat surface behind a wind shield than pure athletic ability and power. There is nothing stopping any human from achieving this, though it is a very risky pursuit.

edit: covered by RoboRat already.

Her sex played no factor?

Basically the same Q: would a male have achieved a better result in the same rig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

Figure out a system of handicapping athletes in certain sports like track and field possibly. Extra weight and so on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement