Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity Prices

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭50HX

With whom & is that ex vat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’d like to know with who as well.

Paying 40 here and bonkers doesn’t come up with anything better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭stanflt

When you say a broker do you mean one of the switcher websites?

• Advertisement

So thru who then could I avail of these rates please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

Why the cloak and dagger? say who the broker is.

I am guessing it was “one big switch” and bord gais?. Which if it is is certainly not “freely available “

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Gooser14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

If you have a business account you will be able to obtain wholesale market prices + pass through charges with energia.

Last month this was 20.4c for me + 11c distribution/pass through charges. Feb was 23.1c

I had been on fixed for 2 years prior to January, but if I was on the market + pass through rate from August to December it would have ranged from 41c to 68c + the 11c

I expect the April figure to be about 18c + 11c.

Only negative is I'm fixed into this for 12 months, (€2,000 penalty for breaking) so if the market goes crazy again, my business rate jumps immediately. So its a gamble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

Is fixed only available to certain types of accounts?, could never get one before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Sami23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

There was a lad going’s around here last ye trying to sign up for electricity.he was a broker of some kind.the local rep was a lad from toomevara but when the head lad came he was from cork I’m fairly sure.

when I was talking to the head lad he told me to stay as I was as I change myself every 12 months.think he said I would be paying him something like 5% in fees for getting him involved in the switching process per month

A few other boards members use the same broker

Pm the broker please if mods won't allow to publish

But it’s a secret. You came in saying it’s readily available but it’s a secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭blackdog1

The man has already given you advise based on all the time and effort he put in to research it. If he doesn't want to put a brokers name on a public forum after quoting you his private deal, it is perfectly reasonable. You could PM him if you want but again its at his discretion to share any more details. I personally never knew of a broker for such things so im going to do a bit of research myself and see if i can find out more. One question Stan if you don't mind do you know if brokers quote those prices for residential or is it just commercial?

God forbid we all could share in a few savings,

I've yet to come across an electricity broker other than the switcher/compare websites If they are even classified as one

I suspect the rates stan is quoting is for the farm therefore not available to residential customers

Well if he doesn’t want to share why not say that? Instead of drip feeding half information?

and it’s not a private deal, it’s “freely available”.

And why the secrecy. The broker wants the business. The more he can sell the better for him. It’s not like if he sells too much the price goes up.

I suspect the reality is it’s not freely available.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Sami23

Exactly jesus christ just name the bloody broker. That's what boards is all about - trying to help each other out.

Can't understand this miserly drip feeding of info and bloody secrecy 🤬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,785 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ah there'd be no fun in that, get as much out of it as possible.... most purchasing groups would go through a broker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Given the drop in oil prices co.ing through, how soon before we see electricity coming down?

It would be bad luck to get locked into a 12 month deal and for prices to fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Oil is not used to generate electricity.

But gas prices have dropped. Wholesale electricity "spot" prices have plummeted to about 13c.

Thankfully farming community will understand hedging and forward contracts. Electricity is forward purchase and only a small amount is bought on the spot / "day ahead" market.

Forward contracts run 3, 6, 9, 12+ months ahead. Prices started dropping in early January, so you will start seeing prices drop as the 3 month contracts are at a lower price and then the 6 month contracts get renewed at the lower price and then the 9 month etc.

So in reality domestic / standard rates should drop a little in the next few weeks, and drop again in July and again in October.

I would not be fixing at this point unless you were offered 25c or less (unlikely you could get that), but a good chance of under 25c by Oct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭tanko

The usual rubbish, Gas prices collapsed last year, electricity prices went up a helluva lot faster than they will come down. We’re getting rode sideways as usual. Hedging and forward contracts my hole, price gouging and profiteering on a massive scale more like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I wonder if the it's in a contract that if the price of gas drops so does your unit price ? I was with Panda last year and they were charging me an additional "whole sale market charge" because of the price increase. It came to around 600 but I fought hard to get it brought down.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

But you don't get locked into a price with the 12 months contract. You get locked into the whatever percentage discount per unit price. The unit price may drop a few times during the 12 months

Still plenty of chat but no mention of the broker with the cheaper electricity rate

You'd wonder do some people love to just stir sh1t on these forums & here was me foolishly thinking boards members would be willing to help each other out esp now with the cost of living

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think Stan might be in a buying group and might not be allowed talk publicly about pricing. I had a look on Google for energy brokers but I am none the wiser, I found a website for bub but you have to submit a bill to them to get a quote.

Maybe we could do a one big switch if enough of us came together.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement