Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland Shootings part 4 - Read OP before posting - updated 30/12/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

Sorry I'm sure I was watching Rte, but could possibly be Virgin 1 channel but anyway one of them at least is revealing details of his location and appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

Well one "lovely lovely guy" got off yesterday.

Another "innocent man" got to find out whether there's a hell or not.

Colm Murphy, who was found liable for the Omagh bombing, has died in Co Louth (thejournal.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,848 ✭✭✭billyhead

Could Hutch sue the state for been locked up as an innocent man?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Augme

No. Plenty of people are remanded before their trial. Also, he was found not guilty, rather than innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭notsocutehoor

I think he would win if he took his case to Europe, the state had absolutely no case as was seen from the trial, you can't go around locking up people unless you have some evidence that he committed the crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

People might disagree with me but I don't think the State had absolutely no case. If the State had no case whatsoever, the Judges would have stopped the trial early enough. You see Judges halting trials all the time and acquitting the defendant where they feel the defendant had nothing to answer. That's not what happened here. The State had some evidence that looked ok at the start of the trial, but it turned out to be sh1te evidence, especially when Dowdall's evidence was critiqued. It was only when the Judge broke down the evidence piece by piece that the State's case looked totally blown out of the water.

Everyone is an expert when they know the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Secrets11

He could sue the state and have them try and defend it by proving he is the head of an Organized Crime family with decades of blood and criminality on his hands. Or he could just slip away into retirement and hope the state leaves him and his family alone.

I don't really get all the support for the family here. They must have been a nightmare to share a neighbourhood with what with Derek stabbing two men dead, Ross kicking the **** out of women and slashing random people in the face, Gary selling heroin and shooting people, Patrick shooting people, Mago stabbing & shooting people. Patsy informing on anyone is was afraid to have shot. Seriously, why is anyone celebrating these guys walking the neighbourhood at all

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Until the last 2 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

It was definitely on VM1 news and independent had the picture today also.

Same photographer posted a photo of his brother on o' connell Street today. Seems to be stalking them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭luke9311

Sure its well known about the extended family for sure but as far as gerry goes hes rather alright i would have thought? although cant think for a second he wanted to get involved in that feud would have thought gary and other relations dragged him into it tbh

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,248 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Pentecost threadban lifted

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭notsocutehoor

Unfortunately the judges had no option to call a halt once the DPP sent the case forward for trial, it had to go through to the end. There was absolutely no evidence produced that Hutch was actually one of the people involved in the shooting, which was what he was being charged with, so there was no possibility of a guilty verdict. That is not being an expert after knowing the result, it just simply wasn't possible to reach any other verdict based on the 'evidence' presented. The closest the prosecution got to incriminating evidence was Dowdall saying that Hutch told him he was one of the shooters. Even if Dowdall was the most upstanding individual you couldn't convict for murder on that alone without any corroborating evidence.

At the start of the trial it did indeed look like the state may have had a case (I was pretty certain at the beginning of the trial that the Garda/DPP would have a watertight case and that Hutch would thankfully be going down), they had Dowdall and they had 10 hours of tape which everybody assumed would contain some evidence, of course it turned out that there wasn't anything on the tapes that would even remotely suggest that Hutch was a member of the murder gang, absolutely nothing, so there was no hope of a conviction.

At the beginning of the trial all of us on the outside naturally expected evidence to be produced, only the Gardai/DPP/Hutch defence team knew at that stage that there was no evidence, so I don't think it's fair to say people are experts after the result, primary school kids would have figured it out long before the justices announced their verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

He won, Fair and square, He would run rings around a lot of us. Let the guy get on with his life...Smart cookie, Could you pay over 1M to the state and still have money ? He won, It's the Newspapers now that will end his life, Let him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not support for hutch but it was a **** case with no evidence. Called the biggest gangland trial in the history of the state and it was a farce you can't help but laugh. Hutch is guilty of plenty but not what he was charged with, justice prevailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Thorsbeard1982

To post his picture seems reckless and could well jeopardize his life.

I'd say both camps should call it a day.

I don't think this would be a conspiracy but journalists and photographers getting unofficial information from Garda should be checked out.

We have a mugshot photo of Gerry taken in Terenure September last year published by a journalist which was misrepresented as being somewhere else.

A photo today of his brother and the photographer just happened to spot him saying he didn't seem to have a care in the world. This photo just happened to be outside the man's local Garda Station.

He would have had many other opportunities to photo him on the street if the man was actually walking around the area.

This the Mick photo.

And photographer photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Pasor84

My 2 cents, so jd his 4 kids and the missus were not accepted into wpp even up until he gave evidence, he gives said evidence and is absolutely rinsed by defense and 3 scc judges, and after the monks not guilty verdict (correct). Gets off a murder charge for talking ****, and lying repeatedly, making guards look like mugs, the dpp look like mugs and senior detectives retire. Ffs this country. Gerry beat the system. Fair play 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Secrets11

To be fair, JD should never have been up on a murder charge to start with if all he did was hand over a key card. He could well have argued that he had no idea what the card was going to be used for.

On the other hand, given that he was deeply involved after the fact i'd not be surprised if he was actually one of the shooters himself.

Booking the room at all makes no sense to me either. What was the point in doing that other than to create a paper trail for the guards to follow. Flatcap wasnt even in the room before the shooting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭luke9311

when i looked at ur wan in drag and them patrick when his case collapsed i thought it was patrick but now putting the drag photo beside JD im more convinced it was JD who was the drag shooter tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Garda chopper and multiple cars chasing someone in Finglas just now up ratoath road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Doubt it.

Hutch bears the closer physical resemblance to the "female", particularly the eyes and nose and the overall shape of the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Spencer101

Mel Cox has been discussed a lot on here but perhaps not for a while. A family member has also posted and apologies to them for what follows. But from memory Cox was involved in criminality. He wasn’t actually from the area though he had lived or worked there for years he was from Longford afaik. Most accounts describe him as well over 6ft and north of 200ibs and say he was known as the ‘Hulk’. The same accounts say he started the brawl where depending on what you hear he assaulted The Monk/ a female relative. Think more emphasis is usually given to it being a female member of family. He is then said to have gone around the area saying he wasn’t afraid of the Hutches. A poster a while back who seemed to know what they were talking about said the murderer was in fact a male Hutch family member who is now deceased.

As an adult including the recent 20 months in custody in Spain he’s done around 5 years inside. 7-8 years in total his whole life.

There’s a hearing on costs around time of Murphy/ Bonney sentencing. He’s in trouble on getting all his costs back. The judge is surely going to comment (and presumably allowed to consider) that he was plainly guilty of criminal offences albeit charges not put by DPP before court. Perhaps gets a percentage of the costs back as the other charges presumably wouldn’t have taken a 51 day trial.

In America they seem to charge you with everything they can think of. If you remember the incident that got O J Simpson inside - he went with others to get some memorabilia from his career that he said had been stolen. One of his pals in room had a gun on him Simpson didn’t. He gets hit with 12 charges from that one event. In Ireland (and prob UK) not same approach. In last 10 years can’t remember the exact details but someone else got off murder. Think they might have moved body. There’s an offence of interfering with Christian burial of body. Trial judge queried why DPP hadn’t charged with murder and moving body. Seems in Ireland to save length of trial/ costs etc they sometimes (often ?) just pick the most serious charges.

He presumably doesn’t want to be pictured next to Patsy or Mago Gately. Other relatives are in prison - Ross & is Alan still inside ? His wife has been photographed a few times by Sunday World but there are few if any pictures of his children in circulation. So not getting picked up is more to do with keeping people out of public eye.

Evidence on Hutch OCG was waffle from one Superintendent. Not too long ago that Paul Williams etc were telling us no Hutch OCG. Most of the family members involved in crime seem drug addicts caught doing low level robberies. But let’s go with this idea- however is it also not possible that the former head of the Hutch OCG came back to Ireland after the Regency at request of family members. Being asked to help out/ broker meetings doesn’t as such make you head of Hutch OCG in 2016. Being treated with great respect on Feb 6/7 2016 doesn’t automatically make you head of Hutch OCG.

• Advertisement

Anyone who he would actually want to be picked up by has largely kept out of public eye.

Advertisement