Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi e-tron

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Look at the A6 Etron coming out, blows everything away from pretty much any other brand, in my opinion of course. You are talking SUVs above, which are anti stylish. Again, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I think that car will look very different once it hits the market. If it looked anything like the prototype I'd be surprised but impressed. For me, it will be nothing more than an updated A6 to appeal to the nardo grey estate brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jjohnrockk

C40 Single Motor or Etron 40 Advance (both at 55K). Which one to go for.

Q4 lacks

• 360 camera
    • Front Sensors
    • Adaptive Cruise Control
    • Pixel Lights
    • Rear Collision Alerts
    • Heat Pump
    • Privacy Glass
    • Electrically adjustable seats

Q4 Got :

• Better interiors
    • Higher Range

Post edited by Jjohnrockk on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Q4 Advance interior doesn’t look great. Cloth seats don’t look right on a €55K car. I’d look at other options like Tesla Model Y, Polestar, Enyaq, EV6 etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Whats the story with software updates, will Audi do them for free or is it aprt of getting a serivce?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,022 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Not sure what the official line is but if its a recall they will do and any others I've had have just been done at service fine, it's not like a tesla there aren't any big updates, it's like any other modern audi inside and tech wise

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That’s a lot of “lacks” list for a 55k car!

Id have a LR Model Y or ID4 GTX above both of them.

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mun1

the main reason i gave up my Q4 etron was the software and lack of support and updates. satnav couldn't even remember recent destinations.

a week after i bought the car i complained about the software glitches and was told there was a SW update due. two years later, no updates and last i heard they were saying that the hardware in my 212 Q4 wasn't compatible with the software updates.

good riddance.

in this day and age of apple car play and android auto does anyone care about built in nav?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭VikingG

True - but things like adaptive cruise control, electrically adjustable seats (with memory) are a must in a car costing that much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

New Ferrari's dont have NAV or anything apart from a FM radio in the infotainment. Just pulg in your phone and you have all the up to date tech you could desire. Makes perfect sense and you dont have to deal with the development issues of the manufacturer reinventing the wheel.

A must is a bit strong. I hate hate hate adaptive cruise. I like dumb cruise and when I catch up on somebody I overtake and repeat. But thats me. Electrically adjustable seats are super heavy and often not optioned when people are interested in performance or efficiently. Just cause some cheaper car is trying to distract you with all the tech so you dont notice it looks like crap and is build out of recycled cardboard,, doesnt mean they are essential options. If every car is the same then no car is special...Tesla suffering from this big time at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Mr Q

If there is more than one driver memory seats may be of use. But if you're buying a car for just you to drive they are just a needless option, to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mun1

I have to say i still get a bit of a thrill when i sit into my car and the seat, steering wheel and mirrors adjust to my settings, from the easy entry Setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

New S/W version is rolling out now, once on that I belive future updates are OTA.

If C40 looks crap vs Q4, we have a generational gap. Looks are subjective, however, your views are extreme.

Lets be fair Q4 interior plastic quality ain't great either. Also, you missing the point, car which is available immediately is ADVANCE with bare minimum interiors. So, your point about interiors is again over the top and lacks logic.

My query was primarily to check does Audi Q4 drives so much better than c40 that I could ignore all the tech.

Agreed on the Advance spec, it’s more reminiscent of a VW Polo inside than an Audi.

I'd agree on that too, sat in one in an audi dealership when researching EVs and it wasn't great. For something that costs the same as a new A6 it's miles behind in terms of interior. Wouldnt even match up to an A4. But then again, that's the EV premium isn't it.

I thought about a Q4 for a while but soon after realised it's the worst value EV on the market. The interior is shocking and unless you can afford the mid-trim or upwards, you're not getting very much at all for that kind of money. Audi do a nice interior on the A1 and A3 but on the Q2, Q3 and Q4 there's some serious cost cutting going on.

For less money you could buy a Model Y, Polestar 2, Ioniq 5 or ID4 with a much higher spec that would look and feel more premium. Derek from EV Ireland did a good review on the Q4 and gives a balanced view on it. It's a nice looking car specced up but you're missing a lot of equipment rivals are offering as standard.

A lot of people will just buy it for the badge. Personally I don't think the Audi badge carries much weight in the EV space.

Anyone considering a C40 would be mad not to buy a Polestar 2 instead.

Some Mad reasons for considering C40 over Polestar (for someone who do not want to lose grant):

1. Higher ground clearance
    2. More Space. Not cramped like Polestar.
    3. Pixel Lights
    4. Panoramic Roof
    5. Harmon Kardon Music System
    6. Better ConnectTech seats

Polestar got better software options and may be more sporty/stiff suspension. Not all wants that. C40 has more softer ride.

Some mad people like the rear of C40 more than Polestar :-)

The stiff suspension only applies to models with the performance pack and you can get a sunroof, Harmon Kardon Music System, and flashy seats as options although none of those things are really worth the money when you look at the price both brands are charging. I'm sure the C40 is a great car but it's way too expensive for what it is. Also, the C40 is only marginally bigger inside. They're essentially the same car except the Polestar costs a lot less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Right so I am leaving my A6 quattro for an E TRON 55 quattro in the next week or so, When I saw the E TRON i said to myself wouldn't mind going for a spin in one.

I had a spin in the Q4 and thought it was rather basic, The E TRON was an absolute beauty inside and out.

I've since decided to go ahead and purchase it,So I have a few questions I have a Nextbase dash cam that is hard wired in my A6 can it be used on the E TRON? My car is parked outside the house (on street parking ) dedicated parking spot can a home charger be installed.

And any other hints or tips as it's going be my first EV.

Be sure the range is sufficient for your needs as the e-tron is quite limited in that regard despite having a huge battery. They’re lovely cars if you don’t have regular long journeys and can charge at home. As you’ll discover public charging here is pretty poor and expensive. If your dedicated parking spot is close to your house, it should be possible to fit a wallbox (home charger) on a wall or on a pedestal. Dashcam should be fine to go in the e-tron but probably a job for an auto electrician if you’re not keen to wire up yourself.

I hardwired the dashcam in the A6 with no problems,Just wondering if it is any different with an EV, Also the public charging like ESB how much is it to charge the car be it on the standard charge ams fast charge.

Range wise I don't travel much outside of Dublin/Leinster at the moment.

No different, you need to tap into a suitable fused 12v switched supply. Fusebox or maybe from the interior lighting near the rear view mirror.

DC charging with ESB is 65c -68c depending on charger speed as a pay as you go customer. Download the eCars App for more detailed info. At those ESB rates, you’ll notice diesel is as cheap. Most EV owners try to charge at home on night rate electricity rates. It helps to offset the inflated prices of electric cars a little.

Range on the 55 is decent, up there with most average EVs. 50 is poor range.

Not efficient at all but big battery makes it OK. Bigger battery takes longer to charge too remember. 12 hours empty to full at home more or less. But you don't need it full every time.

But it's a lovely car to be fair, I had an A6 2014 and the father got an etron 55 for his retirement and it feels very familiar to me, menu's and displays etc, just modernised of course.

No many tips really, enjoy the EV acceleration in the beginning as we all do, it will blow the A6 away, then put it into efficiency mode long term to keep it using as little battery as possible. Look into whether night rate suits you and if so, change tariff and use the scheduled charging in the menus.

My biggest tip, if you find out your on street parking space can't facilitate a charger for any reason, do not buy an EV especially at etron money, no matter how much you like it you will grow to resent it. Your heart will be broken relying on public chargers all the time, its OK on long spins but heading out at night to charge car for a journey tomorrow will get real old real quick. Trust us existing EV owners on that one.

Thanks for the replies guys, My neighbour has a company ID3 and doesn't have a home charger so she relies on dropping it down to the village to charge. Something I couldn't see myself doing in the winter time.She also told me to get the Ecars card and download the app.

My company has charging points in work that all employees can use within reason (not hogging it up for the day)

As for the acceleration I remember when i got the A6 I had it in sport mode for a week or two before changing to effeincy mode.

Regarding home chargers and to avail of the grant do you have to pick a supplier and registered company/person, On the SEAI website to avail of the grant?

Any registered electrician can fit your charger but they need to complete the required paperwork for SEAI for them to pay you the grant. You need approval first from SEAI before you start the install. Shop around especially if your install is non standard.

Be sure you can get a home charger before you buy the e-tron as it is way less efficient than the likes of your neighbours ID3. EV-Database will give you real world consumption. Those older e-trons are hard to shift as used cars but if you’re keeping it long term and don’t do big miles, it won’t matter much. The new Q8 e-tron has much better range if you can afford one.

The new car just has a bigger battery, it ist any more efficient, and bigger battery is longer charging times, bigger pain if you arent charging at home.

I have a new 55 (not the q8) and it does 330km - 400km weather dependent, pretty decent for what it is,

the 50 i had before it was probably 80km less than that.

“With the battery pack offering 23% more usable energy than before, Audi sees a range boost of 30% or better in the Q8 E-Tron versus the old E-Tron. That’s partly because Audi has made some significant improvements to aerodynamics, adding active grille shutters and revisiting the underbody aero, most notably with an underbody spoiler that guides airflow around the wheels. These changes reduced the drag coefficient by 0.02, resulting in U.S.-spec coefficients of 0.27 for the Sportback and 0.29 for the SUV.”

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1138184_review-2024-audi-q8-e-tron-test-drive-review

• Advertisement

Basically what I said a bigger battery, very little extra in the way of efficiency

Advertisement