Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Ok, thanks. Didn't realise they're not doing it direct now, shame.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Can people with a smart meter still stay on the fixed electricity plan. I have a smart meter in over 18 months now and last July I switched to EI and got a 30% discount from them on a fixed plan. I have access to all my data via the EI log in page.

I just checked my overall reading thanks the the helpful post above and I can see that since the meter was installed, I have used 1923 night units, 4573 day units and 1191 peak units. Looking at the unit rates on those smart plans, I still think id be better off sticking to a 24hr fixed unit rate.

I am still contracted to EI till mid July at a after discount rate of 30c a unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

I signed up today. Waiting on confirmation, etc. They say this takes 2 days. Will let you know when completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Please keep us posted. I'll sign up next if I am able to get those rates.

• Advertisement

Just using the links posted above. You need your MPRN, meter reading and bank details for the direct debit. Takes 5-10 mins all online.

Got a confirmation on screen, then an email and some docs are following in the post. I believe I am already switched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭bromley52

I just switched dual fuel to Flow Gas as well and it looks like it is auto accepted. My only stumbling block may be my bank is N26 and one of the questions is " confirm your bank is in the Republic of Ireland". By law it has to be accepted but you never know.

Moving into house I have just bought on 27th April.

I want to get the Flogas deal. The estate agent just confirmed the MPRN and GPRN to me, look like it was with Board Gais previously.

He confirmed it was a standard meter but wasn't able to confirm if it was 24 hour or night saver (I just saw these on Bonkers don't know what they mean exactly).

Is there a way to find this out or does it really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

Is that flogas offer not restricted to BWG company workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Night saver should have 2 meters, I would think? One to record Day usage, one for Night.

Should be easy to check.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

if the worst comes to the worst I guess they'll move you to the below rates if not a BWG worker.

The standing charge is the real killer bewteen the two! :-(

Versus (BWG offer)

Other than hiding the URL I found no attempt by Flogas to restrict it to BWG workers.

Standard contract, they asked for nothing special, etc. How would they even verify the details you give, no way BWG have shared a list of potential customers, etc.

Effectively they have no way of verifying if you are or not (except maybe if you are on the phone and the agent is being over-officious). Sign up online, its a standard process, just the BWG rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

I don't see anything in the terms and conditions specifying that you have to be a BWG employee(might have missed it), so I'm not sure how they can stop anyone with the link signing up. It would be easy enough to limit who could sign up if they tried.

Time will tell how it pans out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭ablelocks

if people are using those links it may be an idea to copy and paste the link to a new tab rather than clicking from here - if they see a bit of a surge coming from boards.ie they may pull the offer. (I'd say they couldn't care less, but just in case...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭ablelocks

that standing charge of 302.92 is an urban rate - the rural standing charge is 380.46, the bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ForzaForward1

I'm considering breaking contract with Bord Gais to take this offer. I'm currently on the BG 40% discount but contract is up at end of June.

Hard to know if I should just hang on and see if the rates do drop or lock in at this price for the year now. The Flogas Feed in tariff (I have solar) is great at 24c compared to BG's 18c.

I am in with Flogas.....let's see what happens now!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭epopnomis

did you sign up for dual offer, I only need to sign up for gas but doesn't seem to mention the rates for this, would be a bit crazy to sign up without knowing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Very interesting pricing indeed !! I'm with Energia for both fuels at moment. The Electricity smart meter rates I'm on are (inc. vat / discounted) :

My Energia prices

Day -> 46.64c

Peak -> 48.87c

Night -> 24.97c

Standing charge is €236.62

So the BWG offer is dearer by €66.30 on the standing charge, but cheaper on the rates by :

Day -> 33.74c (Saving 12.90c per kWh)

Peak -> 38.15c (Saving 10.72c per kWh)

Night -> 23.11c (Saving 1.86c per kWh)

Those kWh differences above would have saved me just under €60, based on my last bill, but have to take higher standing charge into account.

As for Gas, My Energia prices are

Rate -> 13.59c

Standing Charge is €141.60

So the BWG offer is dearer by €98.38 on the standing charge, but cheaper on the rate by :

Rate -> 9.85c (Saving 3.74c per kWh)

The kWh saving above would have saved me about €106 on my last Gas bill, but again a higher standing charge.

All still very interesting, because my discount on Gas expired at end of March

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

has anybody who is with Energia Dual tried to get a better offer with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Maybe give them a try and see you always have 14 days cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭in2dark

The LPG one is unreal. Will they honour it if you are not an LPG customer?

It isnt that much different from the BWG in a D/N meter but you are tying yourself to two years.....mmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

The LPG and Golf affinity offers are from May of last year so it’s very unlikely that they are still available. Best of luck if you give it a go.

Standing charge is almost half, the 250 cash back, the 40% discount make the lpg stand out

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭JoeCat

A quick question, tried to read as many of the past messages as possible but I am not sure if I missed it.

My electricity (only) contract just expired and I want to change to another provider, as I do every year. From reading past messages, there is mentioned a very good deal for BWG with I believe Flogas and I believe as well another one with Flogas LPG? I saw the Flogas LPG links above, but I don't seem to be able to find the BWG one? Can anyone repost the link for BWG Flogas electricity only please?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

24 Hour Meter Dual Fuel

From my quick look at the web, if you are going for dual-fuel on a standard 24-hour meter, Flogas comes in best, as the elec and gas rate beat the others?

Although Airtricity rates are close, Airtricity beat them on the annual charges by a lot.

• Advertisement

I am 3 months in a contract with BG on a 18% discount.

I consume approx 4500 units oer annum.

If I were to switch to flogas BWG fixed rate my annual cost before vats, levies and all other standard crap would be 1560 (incl 50 euros penalty for exiting BG)

With my current contract my annual will be 1890

And only if BG lowers the cost by 20% for the total period I would pay them 1560 which matches the flogas.

I think it is a no brainer to switch, no way BG will lower the rates that much...

They are super greedy and they get away with this as there is no pressure from the gov. Actually the gov benefits bely earning higher taxes, the more profits the energy companies make

Advertisement