Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Neither should be prioritized IMO the gov should build a sh1t load of these modular houses around the country and put all of our welfare renters and Refugees in them and the properties they are in should be put on to the market which would seriously increase supply in a very short time frame if the political will was there to do it. The public service workers are already paid a 20% premium you can look this up on the CSO website, they should be getting no more on that ground and public sector workers outside the big cities should see a pay decrease and with the savings all workers get a reduction in paying income tax that is fair for all tax payers not just the ones you cherry pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A pay cut for PS workers outside of the big cities 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

So a public sector teacher gets 20% more than a private teacher?

If thats not your comparison then it isnt like for like and is irrelevant.

The public sector workers outside of Dublin should all get a pay cut, but they should also get an income tax decrease?

And everyone else in the land also gets an income tax decrease?

How does that balance the govts books?

Nope on average public sector (ye know the ones you are cherry picking) pay is 20% more than those of us working in the private sector (ye know the sector that pays the bills)

So those public sector workers working in Dublin/big cities will see a rise in take home wage due to the cut in income tax those working outside Dublin/big cities will see no difference in their take home pay. We are running a huge budget surplus at the moment due to our overly high and way to progressive income tax regime and corpo tax with the rest of the cash build modular homes to get cheaper and quicker housing supply on stream and transfer those on welfare and who are refugees in to these and put all other housing that these 2 groups would of been in on the market where the county councils will not be buying as their need will be quelled via the modular homes and REITS should not be allowed purchase anymore housing in the country.

Its a better suggestion than paying PS workers more who work in big cities - more money more inflation and more spending power to push prices in big cities up even further, thanks but no thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,662 ✭✭✭✭L1011

People have already been told to stop going on about public sector salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Some really crazy and bizarre posts...

One poster saying there's no such thing as an essential worker.

ie. A firefighter/paramedic/nurse/doctor/minister/taoiseach adds the same value to society as a teenager who pulls pints on Saturdays.

Another poster saying that it is acceptable for a landlord to move towards a tenant with a running circular saw as he was at the end of his tether. Presumably the same poster believes its ok for a husband to beat his wife if he's at the end of his tether. (It's not, in either case, by the way. One is illegal and the other is illegal.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

There only essential in a pandemic it would appear

When the pandemic is gone, they can get lost

Rational thinking for some is compromised when one becomes a property owner I suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

I didn't read anyone writing that it was 'OK' or 'acceptable' to attack anyone with a circular saw. Noting that someone is at the end of their tether is not the same as saying anything anyone does when at the end of their tether is OK. Might be a bit too nuanced for some but patently obvious to most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Dr Raheel further stated that he then engaged a solicitor, who advised him not to pay the rent at that moment without looking at the situation further. Dr Raheel says he paid the rent for the month of April to a different account after having email contact with the landlord’s family, and that he has arrangements in place to pay the rest of the money and to find somewhere new to live as soon as possible. 

I am very cynical as to the intentions and story put forward by the surgeon. His friend talks of the need to rotate so I estimate it likely he will be moving to another hospital soon and I would see it likely that he paid no rent. His story doesn't add up with the interaction we see between him and Tomas. I could be wrong but it seems remarkable he couldn't find time to pay rent from August and hired a solicitor to advise him on whether he should pay rather than just paying.

Obviously, this does not justify the circular saw action however, I think the law needs to be updated.

A friend spent 2 years trying to get a non paying tenant out of his PPR while abroad. The tenant bought a new car while paying no rent. Where else can anyone steal €48,000, walk away and face no charges because it's a civil matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

And what about low paid workers in the private sector? A lot of these were classified as key workers during Covid. How do you define key worker? Nearly every job is needed to keep the economy going and could be classified as a key worker.

As for ‘tis only fair’ I don’t buy it…you are saying houses are prioritised to what you classify as a key worker over everyone else. If priority is given and more housing built for key workers it’s at an expense to someone else…it could be a home that a hardworking FTB could have bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

What about them?

The goverment must incentivise nursing teaching etc to a sufficient level or else people will go be a nurse or teacher in Dubai or Australia.

If the government creates conditions to incentivise PS workers to leave the country and the services deteriorate and voters don't bring it up as a issue that will influence their vote then whats the problem? If the vote is not influenced then there is no problem.

As for low paid workers in the private sector - they can lobby for higher pay, withdraw their labour, upskill, or accept their lot. Also not a problem.

A lot of posters are hung up on the morality of what's right or fair. Irrelevant. There are only incentives and disincentives.

A key worker is someone in the public sector providing essential services within the Health, Education or Infrastructure segments.

Teachers, Nurses, Transport Workers etc.

It isnt my definition, key worker is an established term.

There are a limited amount of homes and yes, some of those homes need to be prioritised for key workers, even if its at the expense of someone else.

Otherwise, only the highest earners gobble up all the houses.

I particularly disagree with the constant allocation of social housing to people earning no or low incomes. The govt should priortise key workers providing essential services, regardless of their salaries.

That doesnt mean we forget about everyone else, we should of course try to accommodate everyone. But in a world of limited stock and high demand, we have to prioritise someone, so whom would you choose, out of interest?

Sone good social cleansing ideals in play there :)

None of which will ever happen, obviously.

Imagine the objections to endless amounts of modular estates for refugees and the unemployed, lol.

The REITS ensure a lot of property developments are built in the first place.

Dont assume that if the REITS didnt invest that the housing development would still get built. In many cases, they would not.

I am not saying REITs are the greatest thing in the world, not at all.

But there is a place for them and they do contribute towards the delivery of housing. We would be seeing less housing completions each year without them and house prices would be even higher, rents also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

I could survive a long, long time without the services of the Departments of Health and Education.

The people who ensure there's a ready supply of food in my nearest Tesco are substantially more 'key' to my ongoing existence.

'Key worker' is a nonsense term.

Food workers, supply and sales, are key workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Not according to your earlier post…would also assume based on your previous post that as there low paid and in the private sector the government should stop helping them with housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Its almost like we havent seen the effects of not looking after things essential to the economy before. In fact its almost like some people still refuse to believe we are seeing the effects of just that right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Moving away from public sector salaries - from what I can see, the housing market is heating right up again, at least in Dublin. High attendance at viewings, and serious bidding wars. Am desperately regretting not buying something - anything - during the lull over the winter. It's all very dispiriting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

When you consider that the subsidy is linked to the provision of low cost rental housing, that the developers would not build at present due to cost, and that the cost of the State building the homes would be substantially more than 150k per unit, and probably take a decade, then I’m not sure why your first thought is, welfare for struggling builders. Would you prefer they sit on the sites until costs drop and they can sell for more profit to institutional investors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Supply has ticked up ever so slightly.

Myhome 13,608

It's pretty scary to be honest. We were outbid before Christmas. There doesn't seem to be any bargains out there, the opposite, doer uppers for a small fortune requiring another small fortune to do up.....

Post edited by mcsean2163 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Seems that some British people are moving here, because property is less expensive and better value.

https://archive.ph/ZeP0a

Why shouldn't it happen there is no reason why modular homes cannot be put in to different areas in all counties including the likes of leafy Foxrock and Dublin city center. Let them object either take the modular home or hit the streets the days of Angie the single mum of 4 from 3 different daddies telling the state she wants a 5 bedroom house near mumsy in a nice south Dublin suburb with a south facing garden for the sunshine and one of her baby daddies staying there on the QT and working away should no longer be tolerated. Also if it was done right it would not be taking them out of the location but it is freeing up housing stock. Why should people be given houses for free or one set of workers prioritized over another, we are basically setting up a system for people who get up off their asses and work and do things the right way and they will never be able to buy or rent in the country but if your from a different country and fleeing from some kind of persecution or on the dole or your biased view of what an essential worker is that they should all be prioritized for a house which is wrong. We are all running the same race and jumping the same hurdles with regards to housing and the cost of living and every worker who pays income tax in this county is essential for the running of the country.

Will you give over (Mods please you have asked me not to comment on public sector workers, yet this poster has posted on this topic numerous times with out warning? Please will you tell this poster that this thread is not about this topic as they keep bringing it up and baiting.) Your post is applicable to every worker. If as a worker you have no reasonable expectation to own or confidently rent long term at a price that is affordable in this country your not going to hang around regardless of what job you do. So in your narrative if we do prioritize teachers and nurses for housing further impugning every other worker in order to do so, do you think they are going to hang around in Ireland? No they wont and who will be left to pay their wage and pensions long term when the our younger workers who are currently working here the likes of the shop/coffee shop/retail worker and basically all of the other SME workers feck off to Oz for a better life or at the very least in a warmer and in a country where they can rent or buy a house??

Already our pensions age is up at 68 as 65 is deemed as being no longer affordable. Already kites bring flown about upping PRSI as well. So if this cohort of young people cant get housed they will leave or they will have less or no kids meaning the pool of future tax payers paying into the system will be decimated, the kids who will be their will be from the likes of Angie above and if ever the term "monkey see monkey do" analogy can be used its for this situation, studies show that if a kid is brought up with the expectation of a welfare handout they are most likely to follow suit into adulthood.

Post edited by fliball123 on

2 month on month drops nationwide on prices (5 month on month drops in Dublin) and at least another 3 Interest rate hikes coming the first this month hardly heating up its more like the electricity has been cut and the pan is no longer boiling over and the sauce is cooling down. So you will excuse me if I think you may be a bit of a Ray Charles with the "from what I can see" analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭mike_cork

My partner & I have been at 2 viewings this week in Cork city. We were the only ones at either viewing.

In contrast we were at a viewing 2 months ago and there were 5-7 other people.

In both cases no offers on either property have been placed per the respective estate agents.

Could be purely coincidental though.

Its not and the figures have what your seeing as being the narrative overall. I mean its not just the interest rate hikes it the other costs that have been hitting would be house buyers not to mention the bank still has to do its due diligence and stress test at at least 2% above the rate, that will lock a hell of a lot of people out of the market. Not to mention people will see the stats 5 price drops in Dublin month on month and 2 in the the first 2 months of the year not to mention the threat of another 3 rate hikes coming up so it would be insane for someone to buy now when all trends are showing prices are coming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Hillmanhunter1

I find the doctor's story implausible. Where did you find evidence that "the landlord appears to admit to changing accounts"?

I can find no information provided by the landlord. As far as I can see all we have is the doctor's version of events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its the right move, we need rental properties at all costs. State controlled cost rental is the way forward I believe, long term secure tenancies and moving away from home ownership like mainland european cities. State can recoup most the costs through the rental and retain the property rights.

Advertisement