Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

All the provinces have two senior 10s next season.

Connacht (Carty and Hawkshaw) and Ulster (Burns and Flannery) would seem to be in much greater need of a signing than Munster tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

"...in the precious Munster thread".

Mod: Any more of this and you'll be threadbanned again.

🙄

I'm not being a dick.

Munster fans are repeatedly making an argument that Munster are in some sort of especially weak position that of course necessitates going out and spending money (the favoured option generally over the past 10 years), when others are rightfully highlighting how their situation isn't different to the other provinces.

Not when you factor in the Ireland context; you'd imagine one or both of Crowley and Carbery are far more likely to be involved with Ireland than the Connacht and Ulster 10's.

It is different tho; Crowley and Carbery are (very likely) higher up the Ireland pecking order than the 10's at Ulster and Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭phog

For balance, here's the current list of outhalfs by URC Squad

We know Munster are losing Ben so why wouldn't we be looking at replacing him if the majority of teams are using more than 3 in a season.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

So you're including Frawley presumably for Leinster, even though he's started two games at 10 in 3 years, but not Rory Scannell at 10 for Munster?

Of the other 5 actual outhalves for Leinster, one has likely already played his last game for Leinster, and two of the others are year 1 Academy players at present. The two remaining are as likely to be in Ireland squads post-JS as the two Munster outhalves.

Your 4 Connacht out halves includes Conor Fitzgerald who is leaving this season and Harry West (a Year 1 Academy player).

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

So you're including Frawley presumably for Leinster, even though he's started one game at 10 there in 3 years, but not Rory Scannell at 10 for Munster?

Is there an equivalance here tho? You might have the stats available, I'd be interested to know how many total starts Frawley has and how many of them have come at 10? And the same for Scannell.

I don't imagine they're comparable tbh.

The flip side of that is that it means Munster have two good OHs. No offence to Flannery but if Burns gets an injury, Ulster are fncked.

In which case, Munster may need to sign someone further down their depth chart who will likely cost a lot less. So, where's the problem?

• Advertisement

I'm not including anyone.

I took those numbers from the URC site so it's safe to assume that is what was submitted by their clubs and I provided those figures by way of balance as some posters want to include or exclude players to suit their argument.

We had 4 outhalfs in this years squad which seems to be around average for URC clubs - I really don't see an issue with a few Munster fans are suggesting we should sign someone to replace Ben.

Edited to add - Leinster themselves on their own website have Frawley listed as an Outhalf

There's no problem, but if three of the provinces are going to Nucifora looking for an NIQ journeyman at 10, they can't all be accommodated.

This season, Cian Healy has probably spent more time playing hooker for Ireland than Scannell has played 10 for Munster, would anyone here class Healy as a Hooker?

No disagreement there; but generally NIQ’s are sanctioned with the Ireland context in mind. Which seems pretty reasonable.

There’s an obvious reason Leinster were allowed sign Ngatai, for example.

In that regard, saying “all the provinces have 2 senior 10’s next season” isn’t really telling the full picture.

Crowley and Carbery may not be starters post-Sexton. But they’re definitely further up the depth chart than the Connacht and Ulster equivalents.

No, but my point was, it's not realistic to classify either as a 10, and it's disingenuous to include Frawley and not Scannell.

I don't know Scannell's numbers, but I think Frawley has started 2 games at 10 in the past 3 seasons; while starting more games at 15, and over 22 games at 12.

I doubt Scannell has started at 10 for Munster in the same time period, but don't have the stats to hand beyond this season.

Neither province clearly see those players as 10s it would appear, and the actual gametime speaks to this more than anything else. For comparison, Leinster have listed Ryan Baird as a lock on their website too, but he's started there once this season while starting 9 times at blindside.

What is ironic here is that when Andy Farrell turned to Frawley as a 10 option (after Harry Byrne got hurt in NZ), it was predominantly Munster fans making the exact point I'm now making, that he has barely played any rugby at 10 in years, and isn't seen by Leinster as a 10. It can't be both ways.

I’ve had a look.

Frawley has 35 starts for Leinster. 10 of them are from 10. Most of those earlier in his career, but he still had a start at 10 this season, prior to the EI tour (a large part of the focus for which seemed to be to try get more gametime into him at 10). He’s also started games at 10 vs the Māori too.

Scannell, by contrast, has 134 starts for Munster and has started at 10 once. One solitary start back in 2015.

As I said, Scannell is a break-glass option. There’s really no equivalence here.

He started versus the Maori because there was no other option after Harry Byrne got hurt - he was named as a centre on the Irish Rugby release for that tour.

After he went relatively well there, clearly Andy Farrell and Co decided to take a closer look at him at 10, and intended to give him minutes at 10 on the EI Tour, but he got hurt against Benetton.

He's started at 10 for Leinster twice in the past 3 seasons - while he came through as a young 10, clearly Lancaster and Cullen haven't ever really seen him as one.

Once again - I'm not the one here trying to claim Rory Scannell is a 10, I'm just saying it's fairly clear Leinster don't really see Ciaran Frawley as one either.

Frawley has started 28% of his starts for Leinster at 10. The most recent of which was this season.

Scannell has started 0.75% of his starts for Munster at 10. The most, nay, only one of which was in 2015.

It’s pretty clear who is seen as more adequately able to cover 10. It’s not even close.

Once again - you're using statistics to paint a somewhat misleading picture, and it's beyond tiresome at this stage.

Frawley only has 35 starts, so 10 sounds like a lot, until you break it down and realise 8 of those starts came prior to 2020. Saying the "most recent of which was this season", when 1 start was this season.

And, fwiw, Scannell started twice at 10 for Munster, once against Dragons in 2015/16 and once against Cardiff in 2014/15.

I'll make the same point I've made now though on about 5 prior occasions - I'm not arguing Rory Scannell is a 10 option for Munster. But I'm saying Ciaran Frawley is not credibly viewed as a 10 option for Leinster either. There is no other way to dress this up - he's started 2 games there in 3 seasons.

So, if someone is going to list out options for teams at 10 next season, the fair and consistent thing to do would be to take the same approach, and exclude both of them.

So, next season, Leinster will only have 2 senior OHs, the Byrne brothers, and 2 Academy OHs.

Munster will have 2 senior OHs, and 1 Academy OH (though they haven't yet announced their academy intake for next year, and it very well could include Dylan Hicks.

The two Leinster OHs are as likely as the two Munster OHs to be in the Irish squad as well.

Your issue should be with Leinster for how they list their players not with the poster that uses that list.

• Advertisement

But I'm saying Ciaran Frawley is not credibly viewed as a 10 option for Leinster either.

At a minimum, he’s viewed as a centre who can adequately cover 10 when required. He wouldn’t have started a game there this season, with Ross Byrne on his he bench, if he wasn’t.

You can’t remotely say the same thing about Rory Scannell over his Munster career. The statistics bear this out; that you find them tiresome doesn’t change them.

So, next season, Leinster will only have 2 senior OHs, the Byrne brothers, and 2 Academy OHs.

Leinster with have 2 senior OHs, a centre who can adequately cover 10 and 2 academy OHs.

As it stands, Munster will have 2 senior OHs and 1 academy OH.

The two Leinster OHs are as likely as the two Munster OHs to be in the Irish squad as well.

Agreed, but you weren’t just drawing comparisons to Leinster. You specifically said the following, when it’s not the case:

..their situation isn't different to the other provinces.

Their situation isn't different to the other provinces either.

You're choosing to focus on the Irish squad angle to it, but there are other factors than can have players absent too, such as injury. Billy Burns and Jack Carty have both missed a fair bit of time over recent seasons through injury. Injuries to either of them leaves them in a situation where they're relying on David Hawkshaw or Jake Flannery to play meaningful minutes, with the next in line for Connacht after that Cathal Forde (a centre who can cover 10) and Harry West (a Year 1 Academy player), and for Ulster Jake Flannery, Angus Curtis (centre who can cover 10) and Academy player James Humphreys.

It's not a radically different scenario whatever way you spin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Yeah. Luckily for munster they have Carbery, who has had zero injuries in the last few years.

It is different tho.

Munster have 2 10’s who are further up Ireland depth chart and injury factors you’ve mentioned apply to them too.

Injuries are a risk for all players. It's not a differentiator either.

3 OH options (with potentially another player to be added to the Academy) is sufficient depth. The situation this year, with 3 OHs at a roughly similar stage of development and ability in Carbery, Crowley and Healy is more of an anomaly than the norm.

What Munster should be asking themselves is why Tony Butler has only made 1 appearance total - off the bench against Wasps when two thirds of the team had COVID, in the past 2 seasons. Charlie Tector (less than 1 month older) has played 6 times for Leinster over the same period, while Sam Prendergast has more minutes for Leinster than Butler has for Munster.

…while Sam Prendergast has more minutes for Leinster than Butler has for Munster.

Timing is everything…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Leinster don’t have 6 or if they do, Munster have 5.

I went to the URC site and counted the players that their clubs have listed as Outhalf.

Munster

Leinster

If you or FtD have an issue with those figures take it up with the respective clubs

Yeah, heaven forbid we actually use our own common sense and critique those numbers to see if they make sense.

• Advertisement

Use whatever you like, I've used and linked the figures supplied by the clubs.

As I say if you have an issue take it up with them but you're wasting your time here trying to change them.

Advertisement