Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland Shootings part 4 - Read OP before posting - updated 30/12/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Spencer101

As everyone has seen in last day he now looks exactly like people would remember Gerry Hutch to look - just a bit older.

Think there is also some legal technicality where you can’t be rearrested for a day or two. But surprised he did not leave Dublin within 24 hours. Potential extradition problems on directing an OCG - as country you are arrested in has to have an equivalent charge in their system

Grehan SC paid privately. Hutch applying for legal costs of trial next month but can’t for obvious reasons allowing for judges comments about him having control of AKs a day or two after shooting see him getting all his costs

Dowdall is quite short ? The shooter in drag is a taller person

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

This trial went on for months. Can you show (apart from Dowdall) one piece of evidence that showed hutch as the shooter. As for Dowdall, a proven liar who said hutch did confess but conveniently enough in a park with no cameras and he couldn't remember what day it was. I can see how easily it is to forget the day ,I mean I'm sure fellas are confessing murders to him several days a week! Somebody was on here complaining about the amount of money the state will have to pay hutch for his legal costs, it pales in comparison to the amount this complete ballsup of an investigation and trial has cost!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I've no idea how they managed to even get an European arrest warrant and have Hutch extradited given the lack of evidence, something not adding up here.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

id be near sure whoever it was will be in for either a big promotion or a gold plated pension and its be the usual 'lessons learned going forward' type of crap...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yep they would have to have sufficient evidence and there was nothing before dowdall turned. The wire taps did not implicate him in anyway to the murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The Monk is a romantic criminal figure of bygone age. Sounds like his family is bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Of course I can't show (apart from Dowdall) one piece of evidence that showed Hutch as the shooter. It's easy to be wise now after the trial and say that Dowdall is a liar but how were the DPP and the Judges to know that before the trial? The judges had to hear the evidence from Dowdall to determine that he was telling lies. In the end it was obvious, but it mightn't have been obvious before the trial or during the early stages of the trial.

It does look like a complete ballsup of an investigation for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Been mentioned by a few people already, but the EAW/Spanish extradition is the most puzzling part. The bar for extradition is correctly set really high, you can't just extradite on a fishing expedition but must show the court evidence that a conviction is likely.

But as know most of the evidence in this case couldn't have been part of the extradition hearing as JD hadn't turned yet. So either they lied to the Spanish, or something happened to cause them to lose faith in that initial evidence.

One likely result is that it will make Spanish to Ireland extradition a bit more difficult. The chosen Abogado will have a nice easy precedent to show that the gardai/dpp case isn't to be automatically trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭notsocutehoor

Even if Dowdall was the most upstanding person in the country, never told a lie in his life, received communion every morning, spent his days helping old ladies across the street, the SCC couldn't possibly have convicted Hutch on the only bit of evidence Dowdall provided, 'Gerry told me that he was in the gang, he told me that in the field but I can't remember what day it was', there has to be some corroborating evidence before you can convict somebody of murder, there was none!

Edit: The Gardai and the DPP were fully aware that Dowdall was a serial barefaced liar (inside and outside the courts) long before the case came to trial, FFS he even went on Talk to Joe to lie, that was the one thing they knew (as did virtually everyone else in the country) about Dowdall for certain. The 3 judges are blameless in this, they did their job and reached the only conclusion possible. It's the Gardai and the DPP who are responsible for that trial going ahead.

Post edited by notsocutehoor on

But Dowdall was a known and proven liar years before this trial commenced. He went live on national radio, Joe Duffy show, and said he had no involvement in criminality! This despite the fact himself and his father kidnapped and tortured and threatened to chop up the terrified man and feed him to their dogs who were barking at the hooded man!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭Xander10

I wouldn't think so, on what basis could they ban him, he is a free man here, found not guilty, so I'd say it would be difficult to keep him out, passport violations is the only reason I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Because of the charge and laws here regarding organised gangs, Spain wouldn't be able to extradite him as their laws differ. It would have to be on a like for like charge. He's into the wind. Granted he'll probably be left looking over his shoulder but he's a free man.

He is or at least was an armed robber, he doesn't traffic drugs and keeps a low profile. There is no evidence of anything the papers have ever wrote about him. Go watch is interview on RTE years ago, he's got that charm and brazenness to his personality. He's smart, when every gangster ran from CAB he made a settlement and has been able to keep his proceeds from crime legitimately. The new bred of gangster here are absolutely ruthless including his family.

We hold up criminal/gangster characters in TV shows and films, he's a real life one its no surprise he has so much support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jesus 2.0

Why is he looking over his shoulder? Whos after him? Do these people realise if they kill him they are next to be taken out?

What use is it killing him and to whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Why? The Byrne/Kinahin gangs. Off he goes but he's not stupid. They could easily go after him in revenge for the Regency.

I would imagine jaws and sadie know they would be next if anything happened to Gérard.

• Advertisement

Not sure if the Kinahan/Byrnes are overly interested in Hutch, they might take him out if they had a free pop but it looks like they may be specifically interested in other family members and friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

What was the real story behind Dowdall tying up your man too torture him , it was said he wanted to buy a motor bike off Dowdall so Dowdall invited him around for dinner & found out in time being he had committed fraud before,

Why the **** would you invite some lads off gumtree around for dinner & why would the guy accept & why would you care if he committed fraud before as long as it wasn't against you ?

Sounds like its all made up absolute bullshit .Way more likely something else bogey was going on but neither are stupid enough to tell the Garda the truth

The feud is largely over isn't it? When was the last murder 2019?

Hutch out doing his shopping yesterday in Dublin, doesn't seem to worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

I'd say the reasons for it would have been on the tapes. As you are waterboarding someone I assume you also berate them for what they have done and taunt them as you are torturing them? I'm just taking a wild guess here...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Given that he was wandering in and out of Spain on a fake Croatian passport, I wouldn't be so sure. He might have some legal issues to straighten out there if he tries to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I just simple Yugoslav car salesman, I never hear of this Monk man, about who you talking?

All the commentary I've listened too from journalists and legal experts all are asking the same question that it beggars belief how this the DPP felt this case had enough evidence. DPP have serious questions to answer to on this.

Outside of the wire taps which were illegal and had hutch talking very vaguely about the regency and kinahans there was nothing to place him as a shooter. Dowdall only came forward a week before the start of the trial.

Not everyone will have a brilliant legal mind like Grehan to shred a witness committing perjury.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It baffles me how there was any confusion over the drag gunman. Anyone who knows the person would have known straightaway it was him.

Advertisement