Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What businesses are successful these days in small towns?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jesus 2.0

Well Thomastown is well known as a breakaway or day out or relaxing village it gets many tourists for example, it's the exception not the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jesus 2.0

Only a handful of photographers can make careers of it. Many of those actually making careers of it are no good, not sharp/ bad highlights/ poor composure photos but they don't care. Small towns always stick with the same 2/3 photographers regardless of their very very average work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭blackbox

Every town needs a good chip shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭RidleyJones

Might not be too fashionable but a good gardening shop/hardware shop will always keep busy

Especially if you can cater for robot mowers/tractors/etc, while selling other equipment for gardening. Since covid I would expect the money spent on gardening/DIY has increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭griffin100

My brother in law starting a side hustle as a photographer about a year ago as he wanted something to keep him busy when he retires young (army). He's always had an interest in photography, but he spent a bit of time practicing and reading up on it, bought the kit (camera, software, laptop, etc) and now he's flat out doing weddings and other smaller events. It's taken of in a way he never imagined (but he is good at it and doesn't take the piss on price). He's clearing a nice profit every weekend he does a wedding and it's something he can do well into retirement age to supplement his pension. Although the bridezilla type stories he tells are hilarious - his picture editing software gets well used to disguise cellulite, fake tan blotches, squinting eyes, too much / little cleavage, the odd extra kg or two etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A good pizza place and I mean a proper italian style pizza are generally a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

We’ve an excellent gift shop in our town - it stocks the best of Irish quality gifts available- from pottery to glassware to plenty of stuff you’d consider for gifts- same prices as online so absolutely great for last minute needs- have been here for years and hopefully for a long time to come- don’t underestimate a quality shop selling quality goods- but I’d say it takes some amount of balls to set one up today as you just don’t know - also I reckon they own the premises so there’s one major overhead they don’t have to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

following on from my post above, this is probably an example of “quality sells”.

Id reckon if your shop was in my small town, it would probably thrive also- you’d always have a box of their ice cream in your fridge- special occasions, kids parties, absolutely they’d be involved - and as long as there’s good passing trade from other towns close by also, I’d say they’d do very nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Maybe a repair/service shop too? Lawnmowers, saws etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

A politician's constituency office.

Taxpayer funded, so guaranteed payment + heating and whatever other overheads.

Try target one of the political families as better chance of longevity in office.

Advertisement