Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Ravens fans here and I find this OBJ signing for 15 million quite bizarre. A very un-Raven like move, they just do not do this sort of thing.

I remember when they signed Anquan Boldin who was a fan favourite and should never have been released. The Steve Smith signing worked too! I looked it up, only 5´9" but a warrior on the field

But OBJ? Hmm that is a lot of cap space for a mercenary. A player should absolutely chase every dollar in a short career but I question if he even cares to perform now he is getting 13.38 million signing bonus. He has the money, it is banked. The Baltimore WR corps is poor and has been for many years but not a fan of this move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Surprising move by the Ravens for sure, that said if they can get OBJ, Andrews and Bateman on the field healthy together that could be a very decent group, and we know they’ll have a good run game as well.

its so unlike how they’ve operated in recent years that I wonder was this done to placate Lamar? Very expensive olive branch if that’s the case.

Bigger issue is that it seems like a huge overpay, like they were bidding against themselves given the rumours that were coming out - some directly from OBJ.

Definitely an element to placate Lamar but they needed a WR whoever they end up with at QB or else they might as well not bothered next season. The draft looks weak at WR and other potential trade options would cost more than what they're spending on OBJ, especially when you take into account draft capital.

Dont think there is any concern about OBJ 'caring about performing', he is only 30 and will be playing for his next contract - be it with the Ravens or elsewhere.

Maybe it's because we haven't had quality receiver since Smith Sr left seven years ago (:O) but I was personally delighted when I saw the news. I've never liked OBJ on a personal level, always seemed like a tosser, but himself and Lamar have always seemed very close. If the two of them turn up and ball next season, along with Andrews, Dobbins, and third year Bateman...we could be cooking.

Hopefully he can appreciate the closeness and comradery of the Ravens locker room.

You're right though, it is a very un-Raven move so I can only assume they were happy with his mentality and focus. That, or they're in total desperation mode.

Definitely a bit of an overpay, they don’t have a lot of cap flexibility so presumably the high signing bonus is to allow them to spread the cost across multiple void years, so that’ll keep his cap number down for 2023.

This could work out great if he can stay on the field, and is probably worth the risk given where their WR room is as you say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Blut2

Everyones assuming the Ravens have signed OBJ to play WR....

Maybe its 4d chess that none of us are able to appreciate: lose a RB playing as a QB, sign a WR to play as a QB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think it's a brave move by a team that don't often do it. When they got Boldin they won the Superbowl and I think that's the last time they spent big on a free agent WR.

I too think it's to entice Lamar to stay.

Worth every cent of that 13 million guarantee and potential 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I love overthecap website. As said by the Honeybadger there are multiple void years to keep the cap hit low this year.

A one year deal and in 2024 there is a cap hit of over 11 million for a player with no contract and not on the roster, ridiculous! 🤯That is teenager with their first credit-card style cap management. This must a whole new Ravens as this sort of this thing never used to happen

• Advertisement

I think they have over $170 million tied up in cap space on five contracts this year so they should have no problem eating it in 2024.

They may be looking at 2023 as an all-in year because of the uncertainty with Lamar going forward, which is understandable. The big issues is that lot of the key guys they have on offence are quite injury prone, Lamar, Stanley, Beckham, Bateman and Andrews have all missed a lot of games in recent years.

What are the odd that all those guys are healthy and rolling going in to December / January? They really are looking to catch lightning in a bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

For anyone suffering severe withdrawal symptoms, I see Sky Sports are showing all/most of the USFL games live, starting 9.30 tonight with Philadelphia Stars @ Memphis Showboats followed by New Jersey Generals @ Birmingham Stallions. Go sports teams.

Personally I like the break up until the draft and then I get involved again when voluntary ota's start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

That's understandable, and I'll probably limit myself to one game a week.

Enjoyed the Memphis Philadelphia game that I watched though. Fairly professional and sleek broadcast and having Mark Sanchez as cc and Mike Pereira as head official gave it some gravitas. Decent atmosphere and the crowd whilst small was corralled into side opposite the cameras making it look full. Really nice to be able to hear all the interaction between QB and OC over the headsets and the QB then relaying it to the rest of the team in the huddle. Jeez, playbooks are complicated!

Game itself was close and went to the last drive which always helps. Case Cookus (Philly QB) didn't seem too far off NFL backup standard. A lot of FGs and PATs blocked/butchered by being half a second too slow, brought home how effortless the NFL players make it look.

Yeah I seen Strahan advertising it too so I'd imagine he's a studio analyst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

A lot of them likely are back up standard. Teams go with what they know at that position since there is usually a lack of tape. Here they get starter reps in practice and an offensive system designed around them. Helps them put out some good tape for NFL teams of how they can run an offense. I know players used the European leagues for similar reasons when that was running. PJ Walker ripped up the XFL and turned it into a nice deal with the Panthers and likely can walk into his choice of back up roles going forward.

They will still take a large volume of plays. Plus remember the same play can look entirely different depending on what the defense shows even without any audibles. So you need to learn how to run every play a number of different ways depending on how many small or large variations there are based on the defense.

Huge deal for Hurts. Until exact breakdown and potential outs for the Eagles it is hard to say if it is much of an overpay.

Obviously they're hoping he continues to progress on his current trajectory but probably has the least consistency out of the other guys coming up for deals - which why it is potentially smart for the Eagles to get this done before Burrow and Herbert (and potentially Lamar) in case they raise the levels further.

Lamar definitely isn't getting any cheaper.

• Advertisement

It'll probably end up being another type Dak situation.

By the time he signs they'll be paying him more than what he originally asked for when they first started negotiating.

It's about the guaranteed money. The very max Lamar should expect is 80% of the money guaranteed to match up with the amount of games he's missed over the last four years.

He'll be looking for at least a match with Hurts contact now but the most he should be looking for in guarantees is €200 million. Even that is a huge amount.

As for Hurts, I believe he deserves that contract. He was up there with Mahomes last season, at worst the second best QB. Completely different style to Mahomes but every bit as affective.

Apparently we've offered Lamar $200mill guaranteed. According to Ian Rapaport.

It just shows how ridiculous Jackson is being holding out instead of taking that. Significantly more guaranteed money than Jalen Hurts, whos both played 25% more games, and played better in those games he has played in overall, than Jackson.

I've always been a "Pay Him" Ravens fan and thought we were being the usual skimpy Ravens but if he has turned down that above deal...he can walk.

• Advertisement

That has a very team slant (unsurprising from the team reporter and IR). If you take out the guaranteed money entering the final year of their contracts the deals are practically the same when it comes to guarantees - with Hurts getting a higher average salary.

Where are you getting Hurts has played 25% more games? Lamar has significantly more starts than Hurts. Lamar has also played with a far worse offensive support than Hurts and was MVP.

We're bordering on being held to ransom by Lamar.

We've gotten OBJ for him and apparently now Lamar wants DeAndre Hopkins which would likely mean trading Patrick Queen...no way Jose.

Don't get me wrong, I know it's a willy waving contest between Lamar and the Ravens but if what I'm hearing is accurate, we're bordering on Mbappe at PSG.

Should have had "since Hurts became a starter" in that, oops. But the stats - in Hurts two full seasons as a starter in the NFL he has started and played 15 games in 2021, 15 games in 2022 in the regular seasons. 30 games

In the same years Jackson started and played 12 games in 2021, 12 in 2022. 24 games

Thats a big difference in reliability.

Hurts has also played 4 playoff games in that time period vs 0 for Jackson, on top, too.

Pretty interesting to see that other NFL team owners don't seem to have a problem paying almost $200mn in guaranteed money when its not for Jackson eh? Their anti-Jackson collusion pact must be very convoluted to allow such exceptions.

I think people should also take into account the fact that the Eagles are a better team to play for. Hurts knows that is his best chance of a ring as that team is still stacked for a run at a ring. Certainly Hurts was a major factor of the Eagles run but he wouldn't make the Super Bowl with say the Texans team from last year.

Hurts is also not guaranteed near 200 million. He is guaranteed just over 100 million. The rest of it is likely guarantees which takes some destruction of the English language to say is guaranteed. And they are not the same or else the teams wouldn't bother with it and Hurts would have been given the 175million guaranteed.

In Lamar's first two full seasons he played a higher proportion of games than Hurts (15 games in a 16 game season) and also played 3 playoff games.

We don’t know what will happen with Hurts over his next two seasons when it comes to injuries but the Eagles were aggressive early to make a deal while it appears the Ravens tried to long finger it and are paying the price now, just like every team tends to do when they try to wait out good and above level QBs.

• Advertisement

That would suggest Jackson is already on a downward trend then eh? The almost 30 curse!

Based on the figures you yourself posted it would seem the Ravens gave a very reasonable offer to Jackson, that hes been solely responsible for putting on the long finger.

It would be extremely difficult to argue that he deserves a significantly more expensive contract than Hurts given their performances, injury record, age, upwards/downwards performance trends... any metric possible.

There are plenty of easy ways to argue that Lamar deserves a more expensive contract:

• Performance - 1) highest level better than Hurts - see winning an MVP, 2) performed at a high level for longer, 3) done that with far weaker supporting cast than Hurts
    • Injury record - better injury record than Hurts at the same point in their careers

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dublin_shed

Attract more advertising dollars too I’d imagine :p

Players and teams don't negotiate long term, 5 year, heavily guaranteed contracts based on someones performance in the distant past. Based on the last two years (Hurts' only two years as an NFL starter) hes played 25% more games than Jackson due to being injured less, Hurts has had a higher overall QB rating in each season, and hes won more games at the important end of the season (regular season and playoff). Hes also gotten better every year hes been in the NFL, unlike Jackson whos been getting worse every year since his MVP season back in 2019 as teams adjust to his limitations.

Hurts is also younger, has no ego problems, and apparently has a competent management team around him. None of which applies to Jackson.

Jackson is just a far riskier bet all-round.

Which is why Jackson holding out to get a significantly bigger contract than Hurts is beyond stupid, hes just not going to get it. As the apparent complete lack of interest in offering him one around the league shows.

You're ignoring Hurts' support system has gotten better year on on year while Lamar's has gotten worse. Eagles actually invested to support him while the Ravens absolutely wasted his rookie contract.

Last year would you have taken the Ravens' WR or OC or OL over that of the Eagles?

Hurts was a serious consideration for MVP before his injury.

The Eagles lost the two games he missed in the 2022 regular season.

Finally comparing their first two years is pointless. We can't just compare years 2 and 3 for both. You have to take in all years and Lamar has a worse injury record than Jalen. Even the injuries should be looked at. Jalen missed games with a high ankle sprain and separated shoulder.

Lamar missed time twice with a knee sprain, once with a high ankle sprain, once with lower back injury and once with concussion.

Concussion, lower back and knee are far more concerning issues.

I would have taken Hurts with the Ravens WR, OC and OL over Jackson with the Ravens WR, OC and OL, if both were the same price. And more importantly when planning for the future I would also definitely take Hurts as a safer bet for the equivalent money than Jackson.

Can you honestly say if you were a GM you'd be happy paying 10-20% more for Jackson than Hurts in the year 2023 on a long term, multi-year, heavily guaranteed, contract? Because thats what Jackson is holding out for it seems.

If so you're of a wildly different view to any qualified analysis I've seen anywhere.

I think the issue is that Hurts costs more if you have the Ravens WR, OC and OL. So yes I would take Hurts over Lamar at the moment however that is not a choice the Ravens have. Though I think Jackson wants the "Total" guarantees to guarantees on the previous deal so you are paying them the same (I would still take Hurts at that point but not an option for the Ravens).

You might currently take Hurts over Lamar but I don't believe you 'would have taken' Hurts at the same cost as Lamar this time last year - when consensus was that 2022 was make or break for Hurts and that the Eagles had traded for a 1st in 2023 so they'd have ammo to get a QB, if necessary.

Eagles look like they are getting a potential decent deal here, despite making Hurts the highest paying QB in history, because they are paying Hurts after one year of very good production while surrounded by better WRs, OC, and OL than Lamar has ever had. Ravens had their chance to do a similar deal and get this sorted years ago and they completely fumbled it.

You've no idea what Lamar is holding out for, at best you're shilling team talking points. It also isn't about a GM being 'happy', it is about a GM either doing what he has to do to keep his QB long term or moving on from him.

Trying to move the goal posts to what hypothetical debate might have occurred in April 2022 is beyond irrelevant. The question is whats happening right now, in April 2023.

We know what the Ravens have offered Jackson, and we know he turned it down. So we have a rather well educated guess that hes holding out for more than that.

You didn't answer my question. Can you honestly say if you were a GM you'd be happy paying 10-20% more for Jackson than Hurts in the year 2023 on a long term, multi-year, heavily guaranteed, contract?

And if so, why do you think that apparently every single real life GM, and most NFL analysts, are of a completely differing opinion?

• Advertisement

Ah now, serious pot calling the kettle black with your complaints here.

You never directly answered the question in my previous post, at least I referenced yours and why it wasn't worth going into.

You're also complaining about being asked to get into a hypothetical debate while in the very same post asking me to respond to a question about a hypothetical demand from Lamar.

What the Ravens could have done, as far back as the offseason of 2021, is completely relevant here. You're trying to use a baseline of a player coming off his 2nd season as a starter, who has made very little money and only scheduled to make $4m this year, versus one coming off his fourth year, made $23m last year and currently scheduled to make $32m in 2023.

Eagles are taking a risk and had a stronger negotiation advantage even before the good faith they showed Hurts in supporting him and making a deal when they did, the complete opposite of what the Ravens have done for Lamar.

Hurts and Lamar are apples and oranges when it comes to their situation.

I think its funny how you say they are apples and oranges but keep comparing them.

You must only find it funny because you don't understand what the word 'comparing' means.

It is very easy to compare an apple and an orange, they have both similarities and differences.

Trying to equate the two, like other posters have, is where it is a waste of time because there are too many differences.

Well Hurts missed two games and the Eagles lost both and Minshew, who I'd consider a serviceable QB, got sacked six times in one of those games. So do we blame the offensive line for that? Is there a case where they have looked better than they are by having Hurts under center.

Also on the OC situation I think it's a little unfair to say that there was a big advantage for Hurts. The Ravens were 9-4 when Lamar went down. They struggled after that. As regards receivers, they had the best receiving tight end in the league who had a bad year with injuries. He has been Lamar's favourite target for quite a while. They also lost Rashod Bateman who had looked decent before injury took its toll early in the season. It's not up to the standard of the Eagles receiving corp but it's decent if they are all fit.

Roman won the AP coordinator of the year award in 2019, the other OCs to win that award are Kyle Shanahan, Pat Shurmur and Brian Daboll. That's not bad company to be keeping.

Hurts was being talked about as a serious MVP candidate before the injury. I like Lamar but I'd take Hurts everyday over him. Hurts is a better passer, he's a really good runner too.

The similarities between an apple and an orange is that they are both round and fruits.

Hurts and Jackson are two of the most similar QBs in the NFL you'll find in terms of age, play style, and most importantly for this discussion the fact that they're both negotiating a long term contract in April 2023.

You've written all of that to again completely avoid answering the simple question, which speaks volumes.

You're arguing a rather odd position thats apparently at odds with every NFL management professional. First it was that all of the NFL teams were in collusion against Jackson. Then it was that NFL owners were desperately trying not to pay out $200mn in guarantees to anyone. And now its that Jackson is a completely different, incomparable player, to Hurts.

Its a hell of a lot of mental gymnastics to just avoid accepting the fact that Jackson is a terrible negotiator who has massively overvalued himself.

Lots of words there but at no point in any of that do you clearly reject my claim that Hurts had better OL, WR, and OC so good to see we have another rare agreement between us.

I never said Lamar and Hurts are incomparable players, I clearly posted the complete opposite yesterday.

What I am saying is the overall context of the two situations are so different in many ways that you can't equate them like you are trying to.

You're treating them like they are two guys in FA on Madden that a GM can pick between.

We'll see at some stage how good or bad a negotiator Lamar is - I'm pretty confident he'll end up signing a deal better than Hurts', especially taking into account his agent savings, and my confidence will only grow when Burrow and Herbert's deals come through going above Hurts'. Teams never save money waiting to pay their QB.

I clearly asked you a question about the Eagles offensive line allowing six sacks on Minshew in one game.

I mentioned the OC situation and how the guy you are dismissing, Roman, as not as good as the Eagles OC is one of four offensive coordinators to win the AP coordinator award with the other three being Kyle Shanahan, Pat Shurmur and Brian Daboll. You have nothing to say about that either.

Lamar wom the mvp 4 years ago. Hes failed to play a full season since id not be giving him full garintees. Add to that a ravens are a team thats been consistently successful for decades at times with sub par qbs.

Ravens dont have as good a roster as the eagles right now (albeit the eagles rosters in a bit of a bubble currently) but to say theve not looked after hims unfair i think. Since hes been drafted hes gotten two first rd recievers and a first rd center. Theve a very very good o-line and one of the best recieving tight ends in the league. They also drafted a rb 2nd rd and hes class but unfortunately injury prone much like lamar

• Advertisement

All while not disagreeing with original points.

You're doing your very best to pull me down a goal post moving rabbit hole and for once I'm not going there.

Advertisement