Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The drawing in the Times UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Wow that’s strong stuff. If we applied that measure in NI then we would abolish the republican movement and the Catholic Church, to name but a few.

Maybe answer my question instead of pointing me to the nonsense spoken by a man in his 80s. The question was

“maybe you could tell us how this investment works. How does Biden encourage companies to invest in ni? Does he bribe them, threaten them, or what? And what do the shareholders think if their ceo invests in not the most attractive opportunities? Makes no sense to me so I would appreciate your help”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

What are you suggesting, control of the media?

certainly not fine for any group to do it. The difference is that the royals have individuals who have behaved disgracefully as do the BBC, GAA, OO, etc. the problem with the republican movement and the Catholic Church is that child abuse and child rape ran at levels unseen in any other mainstream organisations that I am aware of

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Maybe answer my question instead of pointing me to the nonsense spoken by a man in his 80s. The question was

So someone in their 80s can't speak anything other than nonsense? Strange how everyone else was happy to hear it including political leaders, a Prime Minister and a Taoiseach. maybe it is only a blinkered view that doesn't accept it for what it was.

“maybe you could tell us how this investment works. How does Biden encourage companies to invest in ni? Does he bribe them, threaten them, or what? And what do the shareholders think if their ceo invests in not the most attractive opportunities? Makes no sense to me so I would appreciate your help”

I don't work in foreign investment but when POTUS endorses a nation for investment, I'm happy to take them at their word. I presume any trade negotiations would include Invest NI along with HMG who can help arrange favourable tax breaks and otehr incentives. I would have also taken for granted that a publicly quoted company investing abroad is a large project and not one made just by the CEO on a whim! But you obviously know better!

Does he bribe them? no - that is usually done by the country being invested in via tax breaks and other incentives.

Does he threaten them - no you're being daft!

You also originally said how US promises didn't materialise yet cannot back that up. I provided a link to show how what Biden had said was invested was true. Hopefully you can prove this wrong.

Youre moaning about how POTUS can promise investment (which they have both promised and delivered for decades in RoI) simply because you were unhappy that money had to be spent on his visit. You are trying to downplay the significance of the visit for NI by throwing a bit of a tantrum over the costs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And there's the whataboutery.

If you think there aren't people covering up for the royals then I'm not sure what to say to you.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Really don’t see a requirement for “offence” to be taken with that cartoon because:

1. we’re always going to have that leprechaun 🍀 green isle branding outside of Ireland and we often use it inside Ireland too - it’s no different than clogs for Holland or milkmaids for Switzerland or whatever the stereotype is there. I think as a nation we can move on and take it on the chin
    2. the cartoon is clearly parodying Biden and the juxtaposition between his words and his actions on his most recent trip - in fairness it was a complete Michael Flately show from start to finish, let’s be honest here- it was the 21st century equivalent of The Quiet Man on tour- John Ford would have been proud

It's been explained very eloquently on this thread what's wrong with that cartoon. I'm convinced that people who think it's ok only do so because it features Joe Biden. Were it the orange twit, we'd see the opposite.

I’m afraid I’ve missed such elequent posts- have they since been deleted since I arrived?

It’s standard procedure for British press to depict the Irish as paddies, even if the focus of their rant is the American president. This occasion is no exception except for the fact that Joe Biden became more Oirish than the Irish for the few days he was here, so the depiction and characture is not completely without foundation

• Advertisement

Yes, racism is fairly standard practice in the British gutter press. I fail to see why this makes it ok.

Explain to me how it’s racist? As Irish people were not adverse to dressing up as leprechauns many times throughout the year on various national and international occasions. How would YOU like Irish people to be depicted in parody type cartoons? Would marks and Spencer work suits or Canadian goose jackets be more appropriate?

It's a negative stereotype from an organ of the state which raped and pillaged Ireland for centuries. I suspect you knew this when you asked.

And how Irish people should be depicted in parody cartoons?

I think you’re taking this all too seriously- the day the British media publish a politically correct parody cartoon of Ireland or Irishness will certainly be the same day the British empire or what’s left of it is well and truely cremated 😛

He thinks they shouldn’t be. Irish press can depict Nordie Prods and English WASPs as they wish, but dare they have a giggle at an American president who pretends a he’s Irish for a few days. A very reasonable position - me thinks not

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Lies, unless of course you can quote me where I said this.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

"..unless of course you think [Joe Biden] is Irish"

Well he is. Or at least in his own version of our supposedly common language he is.

Some words mean different things on the other side of the Atlantic. Over here, we're Irish and Biden is American. In his version of English HE's Irish and we're "from Ireland." Different meaning entirely.

When an American says someone is Italian, it probably means they come from New York or New Jersey, are called Vinnie or Carmine, eat with a napkin around their throat, and are obsessed with the size of men's genitalia. ("The balls on that guy!")

On the other hand a well-dressed voluble young man who talks very loudly in a foreign language, gesticulates exaggeratedly, has impeccable and very fussy taste in food and is very good at soccer (can't say football--that's another word that mutates in meaning as you approach Ellis Island) is "from Italy".

"Two peoples separated by a common language." As a wise old Irishman once said.

• Advertisement

I think a series of you posts are expressing upset that the piss has been taken out of a us president trying to be more Irish than the Irish. And the cartoon wasn’t even that funny, but people have given it legs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I like to be educated by listening to the views of others. You were one of them. However, stooping to the level of the great Orange Pussy Grabber (Colour..not Political) I see I can be sometimes misguided.

Honestly, given your attempt to defend Andrew above, I won't be losing sleep over this. I'm not going to respond any more as there's simply no point. The problem has been explained very well in this thread but you only care about defending the same old bigotry. And then you wonder why people show no respect to unionists.

Last word's yours if you want it.

A fairly pathetic way of disengaging from an argument, which you are discovering, even many Irish on here disagree with you on. I am assuming by ‘Andrew’ you are referring to Prince Andrew. To suggest I defended him in any way is just simply lies. You tried to paint a whole institution with the actions of one person, which I rebutted and said that the actions of royals involved in child abuse was “disgraceful”. I couldn’t have been clearer. Hence I think your response is pathetic - and the irony of, in the very same post, referring to lack of respect

I agree this subject is done to death and it seems the jury will s split on whether offence should be taken by Irish people at this jibe at POTUS

If your annoyance is coming from my use of the term ‘sleepy joe’, then I will happily apologise for the lazy reputation of this nickname and withdraw it. If that is not what is causing your annoyance then I have zero understanding what is and therefore cannot address it without clarity

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I find the cartoon offensive because of the newspaper it appeared in. You expect nonsense like that from the likes of GB news or the Daily mail. They have a brain dead audience. Not an insult to all British people just the portion wo get (and believe) the news from those sources.

The Times has a air of respectability, it should be above this blatant crassness. We can all slag off the royal family but I would hate to see the Irish Times printing an equivalent cartoon.

Context matters.

Exactly. The Times have started taking stuff from Rod Liddle so I've written them off as just another Murdoch rag. A shame but this is where right leaning publications seem to be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He's just a guy who ran away and left his wife for a young wan.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement