Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

The prospect of the likes of the Murrays working with Fardy and Cian Prendergast with Muldoon is very exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Apparently not! He's moving wesht again.

Anyone know how competitive this league is? Could be a useful breeding ground for those who don't get academy contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

The one game I've watched here (Old Glory), it was AIL level.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Former Connacht center Sean O'brien signed by munster. Hope it goes well for him as he showed some great promise with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Pretty average. Players coming to the end of their careers and those not offered contracts sort of level.

Heard Dave Kearney, Adam Byrne, Nick McCarthy (Leinster) and Cian Kelleher (Ex Leinster, Connacht) are all going to the same team in the States after not being offered extensions on their current contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Not sure if has been mentioned here already but the tender has been issued for construction of the Sportsground new stand and High Performance Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Yes, think releasing him was a mistake. At the time it was argued that we'd be fine, we have Robb and Sam Arnold etc.

Two years later those two are gone and we're still auditioning for a backup to Farrell at 13, with Ralston, Bolton etc. Meanwhile SOB has been starting for Exeter in the Champions Cup... We developed him in the academy for other teams' benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Leinsters Sean O'Brien (who is moving to Connacht) did a loan period at the end of his first year in the Leinster academy.

He played six games (including winning a final and a semi) and looked very good them in them.

The league salary cap is $500k a team but there are exceptions and workarounds that you can drive a truck through apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Nearly positive he actually signed his Exeter deal very early into his final season with Connacht and the reason why he didn't play as much as he could've in his last season here (until we had an injury crisis) was because he was on the way out. There's no way Connacht could match even a squad role salary at Exeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tintedgreenglasses2016

Always wondered how John Muldoon managed to stay injury free. If he shares that secret next season he will be worth in gold. Scott Fardy was an amazing player. Have a huge belief he will do great things. Overall feeling massively positive about Connachts future

• Advertisement

I don't know when exactly he signed his deal but he only made his debut in December of that year. So Exeter didn't have that long to observe him. His performances from March onwards made an impression on me.

Mistakes get made, it's part of rugby, look at how Leinster let Tadhg Beirne get away. SOB isn't that level of loss, and it's yet to be seen how he fares at Munster, but there was a bit of debate here at the time. I was just flummoxed by the fact that we'd invested three years in the guy, started seeing the results of that and then.... gone. Usually this happens because the player doesn't evolve the meet the requirements of the senior game, but in this instance that was not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Pretty sure he has this correct, if i recall at the time Kinsella or Jackman on the podcast mentioned it on their 42 podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Once there's an English club sniffing about it's tough for a side like Connacht to compete financially (although English clubs seem to be in huge trouble currently and that money bubble could be bursting really soon). I'd say they could've easily made an offer that was turned down. It makes things a lot trickier when it's a lad like O'Brien who was never really within an Irish cap who could be looking at going from academy wages to nearly six figures. Their agents have the game well sussed these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Would anyone have seen much of Harry West? Was disappointed not to see more of him at u20 level.

For all of us Connacht fans we have a long day next Saturday. My opinion is I would love it to come down to the last game even if my heart will be in my mouth

That's exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Oh no. Please Munster. You prob won't win but please keep Sharks within a 19-point margin.

I'd be more optimistic/convinced we deserve what we will have anyway if a double BP is needed and not a must-win

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

TBH all this won't be mostly played on Saturday

But on friday, noon, when Glsagow announced the extent of rotation

• Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Alistair Dickenson talking to the Scotsman. I like what I'm reading

“The headache that Franco’s got is selection because the strength in depth we’ve got is great, so we can afford to rotate and still have a great team,” said Dickinson. “In yesteryear that was probably the Achilles heel of Scottish rugby, having that strength of depth at club level as well as international. For us, we’ve got loads of great guys to choose from who are playing confident rugby. The boys have worked hard but they are fitter, which helps, plus playing winning rugby helps with morale and that helps get you through. The boys are a lot better conditioned this year than last, we’ve had a little bit of luck with injuries, and that ability to rotate keeps people fresh – because if you keep chucking the same boys out there then they are going to burst at some point. To be fair to the players, they have taken that hard work and just lapped it up.”

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/glasgow-warriors-biggest-problem-could-be-who-to-leave-out-as-they-gear-up-for-knockout-finale-4108924

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Kilgallen is someone who has really stood out lately. Think he will really push Porch for a starting spot in the back three next year. Will be very interesting to see who wins young player of the year for Connacht.

Kilgallens first two appearances for Connacht totalled to 44 mins against Munster and Leinster. In the last two seasons he’s made 13 appearances so far, scoring 7 tries in those games. Two of those appearances where he didn’t score were a combined 10 minutes against Stade and Leicester in the champions cup. Dome scoring rate.

• Advertisement

I think Mul's mostly injury free career was down to great natural genetics combined with not quite being fast enough to put major stresses on his body.

I've also heard him comment that he learned a huge amount about body management and injury prevention from Johnny O'Connor when he returned as a player. Johnny came back from Wasps at a time when they were probably the most professional and best physically prepared team in Europe, whereas Connacht were definitely well behind the curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Showing a lot of recency bias here. While he was pretty much injury free in the latter stages of his career, he had lots of injuries. From broken arms (1 of which ruined his Ireland prospects) to cruciate injuries, to hamstring problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

He'd have easily gotten double digit Ireland caps but for that broken arm vs NZ.

If I recall correctly, that was the game Heaslip made the absolute clown move of kneeing McCaw to get sent off.

Fair point. Just checked the post by cson and he was correct in that John broke his arm in June 2010 vs NZ and then against vs Harlequins in December 2010. So it wasn't always plain sailing for John. So let me correct myself by saying in his latter years he managed to keep himself mainly injury free which was impressive.

As for tomorrow can't see any changes other than Porch for Kilgallen and Boyle for Butler?

Anyone know what the story with Darragh Murray is. I don't remember him shipping an injury but he must have as I can't see him outside the starting 23 normally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

In fairness we have 4 great options in the 2nd row. Darragh is probably just a bit behind his brother, Dowling and Josh Murphy at the minute. Good options no matter which 3 you pick for any game

Team to play Glasgow. No Bundee.

15. Tiernan O’Halloran (219)

14. John Porch (77)

13. Tom Farrell (96)

12. Cathal Forde (12)

11. Byron Ralston (12)

10. Jack Carty (192) (C)

9. Caolin Blade (167)

1. Denis Buckley (225)

2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (21)

3. Finlay Bealham (186)

4. Oisín Dowling (41)

5. Niall Murray (53)

6. Josh Murphy (15)

7. Conor Oliver (60)

8. Cian Prendergast (44)

16. Eoin de Buitléar (2)

17. Peter Dooley (17)

18. Sam Illo (10)

19. Darragh Murray (8)

20. Shamus Hurley-Langton (16)

21. Kieran Marmion (226)

22. Tom Daly (74)

23. Shane Jennings (3)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Bundee and Mack out due to illness 🤒

Other notable absentees: Kilgallen, Hawkshaw, Boyle, Hansen, Aungier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Aki and Hansen out due to illness. Butler injured. Kilgallen pretty unfortunate to lose his spot imo.

15. Tiernan O’Halloran (219)

14. John Porch (77)

13. Tom Farrell (96)

12. Cathal Forde (12)

11. Byron Ralston (12)

10. Jack Carty (192) (C)

9. Caolin Blade (167)

1. Denis Buckley (225)

2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (21)

3. Finlay Bealham (186)

4. Oisín Dowling (41)

5. Niall Murray (53)

6. Josh Murphy (15)

7. Conor Oliver (60)

8. Cian Prendergast (44)

16. Eoin de Buitléar (2)

17. Peter Dooley (17)

18. Sam Illo (10)

19. Darragh Murray (8)

20. Shamus Hurley-Langton (16)

21. Kieran Marmion (226)

22. Tom Daly (74)

23. Shane Jennings (3)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Unless Aki and Hansen were extremely ill today, I would have been giving them every chance to recover and play personally.

Advertisement