Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

Anyone here going to the Tesla meetup at Powerscourt tomorrow (Sunday 16th)?

Will be up that way tomorrow and might try and drop by...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's an old internet meme where a truck is going to hit a concrete bollard but never does, keeps you watching for ages though 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Tesla earnings report and call last night for Q1 2023. Several questions asked about the price drops and the effect it has on their margins/profit.

In Q1 2022 their operating margin was 19%. Its down to 11% now in Q1 2023, which is likely to go down further in Q2. For reference Toyota,VW are at ~7-8%.

So, I dont think Tesla have alot of room to further reduce prices (or at least by the amounts they did in Jan).

In true Elon style he tried to dress it up by saying that they could sell the cars for zero profit and make money on the services (supercharging, autonomy, service). He is still banking on all hardware v3 cars being fully autonomous and the cars instantly being worth multiples of what they are today once FSD is proven! If only you could take an "Elon promise" to the bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Wonder what's the profit margin on Toyota's electric cars? Same for the other makers. I reckon it's pretty difficult to have any profit margin on the EVs at the moment let alone over 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭DataDude

Musk confirming on shareholder call they intend to continue cutting prices aggressively. Higher volume, lower margin is the model.

Supposedly ‘significant room to reduce prices further’ as it stands.

Given they’re already selling the 4WD Model Y, excluding grants, for c.€40k in the US, really do wonder how cheap they’re going to get and how any other car manufacturer will be able to compete.

• Advertisement

Tesla is well placed there alright and they dont have any legacy plants etc that need to be written down over time.

I was mainly just giving the opinion that further massive price drops look unlikely based on those numbers, unless they can further reduce their cost base.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Did he say they “intend” to cut or that they “could” cut and still be profitable on their services?

Theres another thread on this and the interpretation was that further cuts at unlikely.

So still 50/50 on whether cuts will appear again or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭DataDude

From Bloomberg. Unlikely to ever definitively say ‘we will cut prices soon’ as that would just kill sales I guess.

“Elon Musk signaled Tesla Inc. will continue to cut prices to stoke demand for its electric vehicles, even at the expense of its industry-leading profit margins.

Musk argued he has good reasons for doing so, saying Wednesday that Tesla can financially withstand price cuts

Chief Financial Officer Zachary Kirkhorn said on the conference call that margin shrinkage hasn’t crimped Tesla’s capital expenditure programs to ramp-up output over the next couple of years.

“We have a lot of space before that becomes something we have to revisit,” he said.”

My recollection of his words were that they could, not would.

He said they monitor pricing “every single day” as they have real-time data for orders and that they would adjust pricing per geo up AND down accordingly. There was no suggestion, that I remember hearing, that they would only reduce.

He spoke a bit about fed interest rate rises and how it affects demand so a reduction in the US doesn’t mean one here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Musk still maintained that Tesla has more demand that production - something disproven many times over at this stage.

Inventories are rising fast, and prices are dropping hard - the very opposite behavior of a business where demand is outstripping supply. Come on.

TSLA down 9.9% as I type.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

I think that's gonna happen other EV makers too, most people don't want an EV and are basically been forced into one with the ICE bans

Whatever happened that full self driving malarkey? Never gonna happen right?

I can remember a few years ago when if you didn't pay 5-10k extra to have that in your Tesla you were a moron and the car would pay for itself in a few years as a robotaxi :) How naïve we were lol

well that was another key point on the call - Musk said they are ‘unique in the auto industry’ in that they can go to zero margins on the cars and then up sell software like FSD, or acceleration, in future and make their money that way.

lots of analysts raised their virtual hand immediately on the call to question this 😂. He didn’t respond, but they’ve responded today in the market.

he’s really just a relentless lying charlatan at this stage. car margins will be lower than a number of key competitors in Q2. I can’t believe the SEC don’t take him to task more about his fiduciary duty to not lie to his shareholders. So much of what he says ends up being patently disproven in the months afterwards, but by then the news cycle had moved on.

one analyst made an interesting point - that people aren’t buy a Tesla because they are looking for an EV, they’re buying a Tesla because they want ‘A Tesla’, and also said that another issue is that the biggest competitor worldwide to the model 3 is the model Y, which seems to be borne out in the sales numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

To me, 'A Tesla' is synonymous for budget performance, superior charging network, excellent efficiency, quirky features, and overall low maintenance costs. I could never afford the likes of a new M3/RS4/C63 and their ownership costs but a new M3P or LR as currently priced is the best value on the entire market for the straight line performance up to 150kph, thus it makes me feel like I can experience most of the performance for 1/3 the price. I don't care for what Elon does outside of Tesla, but I do loathe him for going the TeslaVision route when Radar/Lidar is clearly superior(why not Hybrid of both?), also getting rid of USS was a big mistake.

Matrix headlights have been promised for a few years now, with some iterations having the hardware for it but no hint of it being activated anytime soon. I think we'll only see matrix functionality with HW4/Upgraded cameras when the refreshes eventually happen.

Exactly

M3P is the best value car in Ireland imo, €53,000 for a 500bhp, Ferrari rivalling 0-100km/h acceleration, it looks well and has great range

The thing is you can use that performance too, I once took a hothatch up the Conor pass in Kerry and around the ring in my youth and even back then it cost me €100 in petrol, the thing was doing 8mpg under hard acceleration up those hills. An M3P on the night electricity rate would probably cost €15 on fuel :)

I dont think it matters what tech they use like Lidar, FSD is not gonna happen, t's like a cure for cancer, always a few years off, they can't even get a racecar to go around a track anywhere close to a human driver, never mind the open road. Things like wet patches, rain, snow, ice, stones on road, the car is hopeless dealing with things or brains process instantly

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@Stevie2001 - "even back then it cost me €100 in petrol, the thing was doing 8mpg under hard acceleration up those hills. An M3P on the night electricity rate would probably cost €15 on fuel :)"

Or even nothing. Charged my car to 100% purely on solar PV yesterday.

I also have a history of large engined performance petrol cars. I sure don't miss having to pay all that cash on petrol or the €1808 motor tax. Damn €53k for a brand new Model 3 Performance? That's tempting. Anyone want to buy a Labrador? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Looks like Tesla are now raising the price on some of their models! https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-hikes-us-prices-2023-04-21/ Feels like the price of a Tesla varies like the price of Tomatoes from week to week! After the stock price crash yesterday, they might be under pressure from shareholders to maintain their profit margins, who knows what Elon will do next. 😅

Yeah if you have solar your laughing, that's what I love about Tesla and the cars having good bhp, it's not like petrol where a 400bhp engine will cost substantially more than a 120bhp to run, I don't understand why other EV makers sell underpowered cars when the energy consumption is negligible. I wouldn't mind the poor range and hassle of charging if VW put 300bhp into the ID4 instead of the 174bhp they put that has to drag 2000kg around the place, really puts me off one.

Yeah it's a pity about the boot, they missed a trick there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

What shocked me is the price of the new Ioniq 6 in comparison with Tesla. Nice car, but €49k for 151ps and 429km on wltp. Basic cloth seats, plenty of hard plastics and not even an auto mirror..

Ahhh that's awful

How's that tempting for anyone that likes cars?

151ps in a tank that weights close to 2000kg, after 100km/h when the torque is gone you'll be reeled in by a 1.0l Fiesta in your 50k car :)

I honestly hope Tesla make it, as large automakers are taking the piss

But I'm not surprised by that Hyundai offering, they are the same company that not so long ago sold a tiny Kona for 40k in EV form and the petrol version for 20k, how they found so many fools to buy the EV I don't know

• Advertisement

I’d people keep looking at other justifications, it will seem like that. All that matters is Irish prices.

EM has already stated they monitor pricing on a daily basis and the US is in the middle of a federal tax credit mess that will have them adjusting it until it’s right.

Model S and X combined accounted for just 2% of worldwide Q1 deliveries (10k of 420k) - this price rise is only from new custom orders, so is more likely happening because they produced 19k of them in Q1 and only delivered 10k - pushing people to buy inventory cars asap. And 3 years of free supercharging thrown in for inventory cars too.

as for the further orders, the S & X are now such a niche product, they may as well make more money off holdout/diehard buyers.

this price rise won’t affect the bottom line in any way.

Post edited by sk8board on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

Whatever about the S, it’s hard to describe X buyers as diehards/holdouts considering the X doesn’t have a direct competitor elsewhere in Tesla. Yes the MY could theoretically seat 7 people but not in Europe AFAIK and not if those people value their legs. Also the rear seats in 7 seat CUV category apparently don’t have any specific safety tests in NCAP or equivalent so it’s debatable how safe that row is seats really is.

The X is a stunning car. I had a loan of the the P100D ludicrous in 6 seater format and that’s the one I’d order tomorrow if I was.

I would not like to own one out of warranty though!

I think this is the key point - for the Irish person spending far far north of €100-120k on a family car, it’s very hard to spend that money on something like the X. Warranty and depreciation are the two biggest factors for family car buyers.

saving up to €1000 per year on fuelling a €120k car isn’t really a concern!

I marked a few carzone ads for X’s ages ago (since the start of covid) and they just don’t seem to sell at all in the 2nd hand market too, even though they haven’t been sold here for a few years really.

the only person buying an X new or second hands is a committed, knowledgable Tesla guy.

edit: according to some analyst reports yesterday, indeed the S/X price cut is to encourage people who already bought a car, to follow through and take delivery - they have been holding off delivery in the hope of a price cut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭joe1303l

You’d be very brave to buy a Model X out of warranty or close to it, hence no demand for them here. They’re also a big bus to fit in an irish car park space thats only 2.4m wide or less.

You’d have to buy on the basis of depreciation. Or at least acknowledge that it’s gona depreciate substantially.

There’s not a lot that matches it for space, the equivalent Merc is €156k, but I suppose that comes with the badge, history and experienced manufacturer with regards to quality etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

On the 9000 Model S and X that were unsold at quarter end, I thought a chunk of them were on ships to Europe where people have been waiting years for these cars, literally.

Apparently not. They don’t include those in US inventory numbers. It’s literally parked cars. People knew if there was another price cut, that cars that were ordered but undelivered would have the price cut retrospectively added.

meanwhile, see graph below, US inventory is now higher than ever before and the price cuts are having almost no effect as Tesla continue to produce far more cars than they can sell.

It’s really simple - they have a demand problem.

We know they don’t advertise etc etc, but it’s hard to see how else they can drive new demand from new buyers. So many Y buyers were switching from the 3 too, there’s a lot of cannibilisation.

You can see the drops on the dates the three main price cuts happened, but they obviously can’t keep cutting prices forever. They’ll also have storage costs for this many cars which Tesla traditionally has never needed.

it’s the same story worldwide, and even European inventory is now rising as Berlin has fully ramped up.

If (a big ‘if’) Tesla have indeed got a m2 up their sleeve, now is the time to at least announce it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Is inventory rising as a percentage of sales? 2500 is a lot of extra cars when you're selling 50k, not so much when you're selling 1.5 million.

How does that compare to the likes of VW in percentage terms?

Advertisement