Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hyundai Santa Fe

Options
  • 06-04-2023 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

On the look out for a new set of wheels,

the Santa Fe might tick all the boxes for me, 2500kg towing capacity, all wheel drive and a 7 seater. They shouldn’t be to bad in fuel (?) and wouldn’t look to bad when parked outside office either 😂

I wouldn’t be doing a massive amount of towing with it, 10 x 5 livestock trailer and 10 x 5’6 flatbed.

Has anyone here any experience with these SUV’s? Would be thinking of a 2015-2018 model.

are they decent to tow? what the MPG like with them ? What the servicing and maintenance costs like with them ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭kk.man

We had one....I hated it that's brutal honest. Never used it as a farm vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Tileman

Have a new one ordered for all the reasons you mentioned above. Happy compromise between farm requirements and family .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Often was thinking on those lines too, would the Kia be a better option as higher towing rate

Yea looked at that too but just preferred the Santa Fe in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I saw that they tick a few boxes for many of us with young families, and simple towing requirements, would the PHEV be an option?

Or is it much more expensive and neither this nor that.

I'm going putting solar panels on the sheds and I'm thinking of free -ish motoring on all the short trips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭148multi

Don't get too fond of free-ish motoring, the EU are pushing for excise on electricity for charging cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Yeah it’s between the Santa Fe or a Nissan Navara for me, the Santa Fe would suit me better with the extra seats.

Has anyone any experience of what they are like off road in the field ?

The other one is a Skoda kodiaq. Have one for past 4 years. Good bus for family and handy towing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Packrat

I drove one for a week as a replacement car when they were new.

A dirty horrible dangerous thing. Heavy on fuel and lethal on any slippery surface.

I didn't tow anything with it but I wouldn't like to either.

For context I was used to Discoverys and RRS which are glued to the road and tow like the box is hitched to a house so maybe I'm biased.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭newholland mad

What tf. If that came to pass would that include elec generated by home solar, how would they measure it. So much green incentives . I think I will stick with my diesel for another while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭somofagun

I have had one now (bought 2nd hand) for 7 years and the 4 wheel drive give up last year.

The splines on the drive shaft going into the rear diff have worn and is a common enough problem and an expensive one to fix.

I use it for all my towing to and from the marts and never really had any issues. Its not that great in the snow as its just doesn't feel safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭farm to fork

I bought one with the same idea to pull the cattle trailer and bring the crew to matches. But I'm on the look out for something else. I have no confidence in its towing capacity and even less when I looked underneath to see how the towbar is connected.😬

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Mushy06

i have a 2016 one with 3 years. no issue with it. 35miles per gallon on average. pulls 10x5 box with calves and 10x6.6 flat bed trailer grand. No issue but i know the fly wheels gave trouble early on. i made sure the one i bought had it done previously. 3 years with no trouble. very hard to get one with black leather seats and sat nav. The one i have is an English import.

would an auld crew cab Landcruiser be worth a shot at this stage -

you could pick up a 2006 LWB Landcruiser with seats in the back for about €12,000

would suit for school picks up and trailer towing,( I have a 14’ tri axel aswell which is mostly towed with the tractor)

this would be a second vehicle here so may suit - would be doing approximately 12K miles a year - so fuel

cost not overly concerning

Might just be more comfortable than a pick up, but is the chassis’s of these jeeps mostly rotten at this stage 😳

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Rust would be my biggest concern with that era of Landcruiser. The older pre 03 models seem to be more rust resistant than the mid to late nougties one's. If you kept your eyes open then you may find one in good nick bit there's an awful lot of rotten one's about.

Also €12k is a serious lump of money for what you're buying imo. Yes there making it but I struggle to see how something approaching 20 years of age with its best days firmly behind it can be justified at that price. If you were lucky it could prove a topping yolk and keep going for the guts of another decade with minimal expense outside of routine servicing. However for that matter it could turn into a money pit that's constantly in need of attention. You'll be late when you've discovered which of the 2 categories it falls into.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What about the Mitsubishi Projero sport, see it’s 2.4L with 3100kg towing

€333

Oh not so bad, I thought they were a passenger vehicle only, I didn't realise they could be registered as commercial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭older by the day

333 I suppose. I have a Hilux with the 5 seats. Handy for school. 5000 miles a year. Thirsty if you were doing any proper millage. I never passed the test with less than 500 - 700 euro for parts. They are overpriced for my amount of towing. I will probably go for a mid sized van next time. 3 seats, poor for field travel, cheaper to run. Can make a trip to the mart with a big load with a tractor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I believe a crewcab is a must for the OP, I'm fairly sure I've never seen Pajero Sport crewcab but I think they were available. I'd imagine the vast majority of them were 2 seater commercial and would be all early to mid 2000's reg.

Advertisement